DarkBaron Publish time 5-4-2008 07:49 PM

Reply #140 mshafiz's post

That is why good fiscal monetary policies are needed..a substantial side of monies must be set aside for the national reserves annually..its standby for emergency cases such as the 97 crisis..imagine if national reserves are not enough..those countries will be the mercy of their creditors..

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:00 PM

Reply #141 DarkBaron's post

but some people said economists are not important in managing the country ;P;P
yes, and also the economic policies should be viable to induce the development of corporations and attracting FDIs into the country, without which the country will not have its source of income
capital control like the one done in Malaysia, whereby all businesses have to obtain approval from the Bank Negara has its own purpose, not merely to restrict the flow of funds but to ensure that the government can detect the amount of outlfows and managing funds
we were in a strong position in 1997 not just because of our surplus reserves but also because we have a strict capital control in place
what people don't understand is that, IMF supports for free flow of capital in and out of the country
what happens in Thailand, Indonesia, Argentina, Ghana etc was that the capital funds kept flowing out but never came back, ie most of them were capital outflows, not capital inflows
which is bad for a country

DarkBaron Publish time 5-4-2008 08:05 PM

Reply #142 mshafiz's post

FDI flowing out can be managed if that country has a strong export oriented DOMESTIC economy WITHOUT MNC's constituting a big chunk of the economy and of course substantial national reserves.

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:15 PM

Reply #143 DarkBaron's post

what u say is right but somehow Malaysia is in between export orientation and import substitution
according to ideal economic theory, import substitution should be practiced before export orientation
but in real life, that is difficult
that's why in Malaysia we have pioneer tax, subsidies, protection of infant industries, AP system for importing cars, import duty and a lot more
while at the same time a lot of reliefs are being given to promote the export of Malaysian products
we know that we cannot afford to have a free flow of capital, it should be restricted as our industries are not matured industries - which can also be attributed to too much protection, mismanagement, budaya malas
even all other countries were doing the same even Korea, protected their industries from outside competition
once they have matured, then only they open up

DarkBaron Publish time 5-4-2008 08:19 PM

Reply #144 mshafiz's post

But remember FDI and MNC's are not loyal to the place they are setting up shop..they will always think of their own bottomlines first. By imposing capital, currency controls the attraction factor for future investments will decrease..

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:20 PM

and if we took the IMF loans, it would be easier for the MNCs to take over some of our industries
and if they had, it would be the end of the local industries who can't compete with these big players
even now we have ownership restrictions, a certain percentage must be owned by Malaysians

mbhcsf Publish time 5-4-2008 08:22 PM

Good article. Bagus tUan rumah.
That's what

sapa yg suka baca novel ludlums or Le Carre or seangkatan akan tahu the pattern ...

and mmg pun....the "busted finance minister" hahahahahaha.....

so that's why i for one tak oercaya ANWAR IBRAHIM.

u imaginekalau org tak acess thsi info dan baca ni, maka akan bias kandanu know terpengaruh lah dgn pemimpin yg suka GUNA FORM then Substance...

i am concern dgn Pak Lah...dia tau dak ni..mid game macam ni .

DarkBaron Publish time 5-4-2008 08:23 PM

Reply #146 mshafiz's post

The only alternative for this quandary in my opinion would be all out building of massive national reserves so can tide over in times of crisis.

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:24 PM

Reply #145 DarkBaron's post

do u know about the case of Yaohan in Malaysia?
That is a classic example of a Japanese company, taking advantage of our attractive packages for the FDIs
They were here only for the relief period and gone by the time it was finished (10 yrs of tax relief if I'm not mistaken)
so economic policies are difficult, there would be drawbacks, not all will be perfect due to market asymmetries

mbhcsf Publish time 5-4-2008 08:26 PM

Originally posted by mshafiz at 5-4-2008 06:12 PM http://forum6.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif
tak payah lah respect kat aku
aku pun rakyat marhaen, bukan Nabi
sekarang berlambak dah Melayu ada ACCA, cuma tak masuk forum kot :lol: :lol:
kalau kau rasa praktikal lebih penting, mungkin...
yep .. i could nor agree more ...but sadly people takrealised this....i mean they really like Anwar ashe the what you know

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:28 PM

Reply #148 DarkBaron's post

yes, your opinion is certainly right
by imposing capital control, that is the only way so that the MNCs would not take out all of their funds overseas and invest in tax haven - that is the major concern from the economists
if they invest in tax haven, country would not benefit as much through increased investment, banking, taxes etc
in that way, we don't gain as much as what we wanted and we imposed capital control

evolution75 Publish time 5-4-2008 08:30 PM

Siapa Chairman IMF Asia pada tahun 1997?Siapa yg pujuk suharto ambil pakej dari IMF? Org tu adalah rakyat malaysia yg begitu berpengaruh di dunia.Dia penasihat kepada sebuah pari politik.

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:30 PM

Reply #150 mbhcsf's post

kau pun baca Le Carre?
best kan buku the constant gardener tu pasal scandal kat Africa nun
yg dok taksub nie nak jadi mcm Africa tu kot

DarkBaron Publish time 5-4-2008 08:33 PM

The question now is how to attract them in..keep them here while making them happy and profiting from them..

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:34 PM

Reply #152 evolution75's post

kau bagitau jer lah
sebab semua org pun dah boleh agak
nak main teka teki pulak :P

peYno Publish time 5-4-2008 08:35 PM

Mahade tak pilih IMFsebab nanti dia tak leh senang2 nak songlap dan seleweng duit..
kalau uruskan sendiri senang la nak bail out syarikat anak ke kroni ka

DarkBaron Publish time 5-4-2008 08:38 PM

Reply #156 peYno's post

Yeap i agree. That is one of the reasons too for him doing that.

peYno Publish time 5-4-2008 08:38 PM

Originally posted by mshafiz at 5-4-2008 08:34 PM http://forum4.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif
kau bagitau jer lah
sebab semua org pun dah boleh agak
nak main teka teki pulak :P
kalau nak muhasabah buat benchmark kena la tgk pada negara yg berjaya guna IMF cam thai dan korea.. ni nak bangdingkan dgn indon laa..

kes rasuah negara kita lebih baik berbanding india misalnya;P

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:39 PM

Reply #154 DarkBaron's post

kena ada economic policies that will make them happy, most of them came here in the first place because of the Duty Free Zones set up in Seberang Perai, Shah Alam etc
apart from the tax relief period
yes, to benefit as much as we can, politics and economics play an important part
investors yang tak yakin dgn kepimpinan and also political stability will be more reluctant to invest
that's why I am scared now, as Malaysian politics is in a big turmoil
huru hara!

mshafiz Publish time 5-4-2008 08:42 PM

Reply #158 peYno's post

kau ni tersentap apasal?
bila pulak la aku sokong mahathir tu
aku nasihatkan kau pergi baca balik posting2 aku tu
dah bincang pasal korea dgn thailand kan?
korea berjaya sebab apa dan thailand sebab apa
bukan kerana IMF tapi economic policies and the government ok
ke kau jenis malas baca jugak?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
View full version: Kenapa Tun Mahathir tak pilih IMF ( krisis kewangan 1997 - )

ADVERTISEMENT