linaxman Publish time 11-2-2009 06:27 PM

Gia Carangi - The Supermodel - The Tragic Tale

Hey ya!

Ada sesapa kat sini berminat nak share info and story pasal tis Supermodel she's among The First Supermodel in Fashion Bizz.. unfortunately she's also The First Female who dies because of AIDS..

http://www.s9.com/images/portraits/4878_Carangi-Gia-Marie.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/2506677359_467344b0c9.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1327/1148246460_10df906c19.jpg

taken from Wikipedia...

Gia Marie Carangi (January 29, 1960 - November 18, 1986) was an American fashion model during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Carangi was considered by some to be the first supermodel, although that title has also been given to others, including Janice Dickinson and Dorian Leigh. Cindy Crawford, who also appeared on the covers of fashion publications during her time, and was later referred to as "Baby Gia", due to her resemblance to Carangi. Carangi was also the first to present unusual poses, facial expressions and gestures.

Carangi was featured on the cover of fashion magazines, including Vogue, April 1, 1979; Vogue Paris, April 1979; American Vogue, August 1980; Vogue Paris, August 1980; Italian Vogue, January 1981; and several issues of Cosmopolitan between 1979 and 1982.

After becoming addicted to heroin, Carangi's modeling career rapidly declined. She later became infected with HIV and died at the age of 26. Her death was not widely publicized and few people in the fashion industry knew of it. Carangi is thought to be one of the first famous women to die of AIDS. Her father is Italian American, and her mother is American of Irish and Welsh ancestry.

Rise
Carangi, who was known in modeling circles just by her first name, had a turbulent childhood.
After being featured in Philadelphia newspaper ads, Carangi moved to New York City at the age of 17, where she quickly rose to prominence. She was a favorite model of many fashion photographers, including Francesco Scavullo, Arthur Elgort, Richard Avedon, and Chris von Wangenheim.
Carangi was swept right into the fashion world. She was a hit with photographers, most notably Scavullo. By the end of 1978, Carangi was already a well-established model. In a 20/20 interview she said her rise was awfully fast. "I started working with well known people in the industry, very quickly. I didn't build into a model. I just sort of became one."
Carangi was a regular at Studio 54 and the Mudd Club. Carangi usually used cocaine in clubs but later began to develop a heroin addiction
In October 1978, Carangi did her first major shoot with top fashion photographer Chris von Wangenheim. Wangenheim had her pose nude behind a chain-link fence with makeup assistant Sandy Linter. Carangi immediately became infatuated with Linter and started to pursue her, though the relationship never became stable.

Fall
On March 1, 1980, Carangi's agent, Wilhelmina Cooper, died of lung cancer. Devastated, Carangi started abusing drugs. Scavullo recalled a fashion shoot in the Caribbean when "She was crying, she couldn't find her drugs. I literally had to lay her down on her bed until she fell asleep." By 1980, Carangi began having violent temper tantrums, walking out of photo shoots, and even falling asleep in front of the camera. In the November 1980 issue of Vogue, Carangi's track marks from shooting heroin were visible even after airbrushing. For three weeks, she was signed with Eileen Ford, who soon dropped her.
Her attempt to quit drugs was shattered when she learned that her good friend and fashion photographer Chris von Wangenheim died in a car accident. According to the Stephen Fried book, Thing of Beauty, Carangi locked herself in a bathroom for hours, shooting heroin. In the fall of 1981, she looked far different from the top model she once had been. However, she was still determined to make a comeback in the fashion industry. She contacted Monique Pillard (who was largely responsible for Janice Dickinson's career), who was hesitant to sign her.
For her second time, Carangi received the harsh treatment she skipped last time. Nobody would book her. Desperate, she turned to Scavullo. She landed a Cosmopolitan cover, a gift from Scavullo. Shot in the winter of 1982, it would be her last cover.

Death
Carangi was diagnosed with AIDS, then a newly recognized disease. As her condition worsened, she was transferred to Philadelphia's Hahnemann University Hospital. Her mother stayed with her day and night, allowing virtually no visitorsOn November 18, 1986 at 10 a.m., Carangi died of AIDS-related complications. She was 26 years old.
Her closed-casket funeral (recommended by the funeral director due to the ravages of AIDS) was held on November 21 at a small funeral home in Philadelphia. Nobody from the fashion world attended. However, weeks later, Scavullo sent a Mass card when he heard the news.

Aftermath
A biography of Carangi by Stephen Fried called Thing of Beauty (a title omitting the second half of John Keats' famous quote "A thing of beauty is a joy forever") was published in 1993. A biographical film, Gia, debuted on HBO in 1998. Angelina Jolie starred in the title role, garnering a Golden Globe award for the role.
In 1996, actress-screenwriter Zoe Tamerlis, herself a heroin addict who died of drug-related causes in 1999, was commissioned to write a screenplay based upon Carangi's life. This version of Gia was not produced, but after Tamerlis' death, footage of Carangi, Tamerlis, photographers, Carangi's family, and Sandy Linter discussing her life was incorporated into a 2003 documentary entitled The Self-Destruction of Gia.

p/s:mod pls merge yer klau dah ada umah... sorry i couldn't get the existing home thru search..

[ Last edited bylinaxman at 11-2-2009 07:08 PM ]

linaxman Publish time 11-2-2009 07:10 PM

taken from The Independent...

Gia, in the days before the term supermodel had been coined, appeared on the cover of Cosmo and Vogue in America, Britain, France and Italy. Her first major modelling job was with Versace when she was 18. She was the favourite model of many top fashion photographers, including Arthur Elgort, Helmut Newton and Francesco Scavullo, who was for 30 years Cosmo's cover photographer. Scavullo's subjects included Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Andy Warhol, Janis Joplin, Gore Vidal, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Diana Ross, Kim Basinger, Calvin Klein, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Debbie Harry, Madonna and Brad Pitt. But Gia was his favourite subject.

Yet hers is a cautionary tale. At the age of 17, Gia Carangi was a pretty high-school student - height 5ft 8in, stats 34-24-35, dress size 8-10 - working behind the counter at her father's little restaurant in Philadelphia, Hoagie City, and doing her best never to miss a David Bowie concert. It was 1978.
Then a local photographer asked her to pose on the dance floor and the pictures were seen by Elgort, who photographed for the New York department store Bloomingdale's. Her dark melancholic Italian beauty stood in contrast to the typical blonde hair-blue eyed model then the normative. Her career soared like a star shooting in the night sky. Within a year she was the hottest new thing in New York, partying at Studio 54, and the darling of rockers and royalty, moguls and movie stars, alike.

It was not just her beauty. She was a new kind of wild child. She posed nude. She dressed in men's clothes. She wore no make-up. She had attitude and "took no shit" from the dignitaries of the fashion industry. She was a lesbian, or some said, bisexual. She would walk out of photo shoots if she wasn't in the mood. She was, even at the age of 18, a diva who would cancel two whole weeks' worth of bookings because she didn't like the way her hair was cut.
She would say things like: "I'm not impressed by somebody who's got a Lear jet and who's going to take me to Florida every weekend. I just want a body, like a nice hot body and some big lips. Forget everything else."
And she did not take too much trouble to hide her use of recreational drugs. "I am finally really starting to dig being different. Maybe I am discovering who I am. Or maybe I'm just stoned again, hahahaha!"

Yet there was behind the wanton lifestyle a deep unhappiness. At the age of five she was sexually abused by a man. The abuse occurred only once, but she was traumatised by the incident. So was she when her mother left her husband, home and children for another man. Though, later in life, her mother returned to her, Gia never got over her sense of abandonment. "Gia did a lot of things just to get her mother's attention," one friend later said. "The one person Gia always wanted something from was her mother - and she just never felt like she got it."

Her public wildness was underpinned by a private loneliness. For even at the height of her fame much of the time, Gia was alone. She had friends in the profession, often make-up artists. But her schedule didn't allow her the time for other activities. At the end of a day's shooting she often went back to her empty New York apartment. "The biggest mistake we made was that nobody went up there with her," her brother, Michael, told her biographer, Stephen Fried, later. "She could've used a friend." Instead she turned to the drugs that others in the fashion world used only at parties.
"Gia and I were like lion cubs having fun," one contemporary said. "We got a reputation because we didn't hide anything. We did a lot of drugs and went to a lot of parties. So many! We were both constantly on trips, which I think saved my life, because you don't do drugs when you travel. Except when I travelled with Gia. We brought a whole medicine kit."

Gia's appointment book from 1980 contains a misspelt reminder to "Get Heroine". In 1981 she was arrested - for driving under the influence of a narcotic. In May that year, at just 21, Gia required surgery on her hand because, according to Stephen Fried, "she had injected herself in the same place so many times that there was an open infected tunnel leading into her vein".

Things were starting, just two years in, to fall apart. Her moods were swinging wildly. She walked out on shoots or fell asleep during jobs. Her drug use was preventing her from working at anything close to her full capacity as a model.
In those days using heroin was rather glamorous. And Gia was in demand as the look of the moment. Fashion editors knew about all the drugs but did not care. At one major magazine shoot an editor supplied Gia with a bag of cocaine and some heroin on the set. "The problem was that people were more interested in hiding the marks than helping her," said Gia's former lover, Elyssa Stewart, who says the problem persists in the industry but that models now shoot heroin under their toenails or tongue, where track marks cannot be detected.

What changed was that Gia started going directly from $10,000-a-day fashion shoots to the heroin shooting galleries on New York's Lower East Side.
One top photographer called her "a trashy little street kid". She made several comebacks, but each time relapsed. And then word leaked out that she might be HIV positive. It was that which led to her finally being blackballed by those who only months before could not get enough.

By the end of 1984 Gia had entered a vastly different world. After pressure from her family she entered a rehab programme - and declared herself penniless to enter treatment on public welfare. But when she left treatment six months later she went back on the heroin, and in increasing amounts. A year later she was in hospital. She had been sleeping outside in the rain. Bruises on her body suggested she had been badly beaten up. And she had been raped. Her symptoms were those of pneumonia, but blood tests showed she had Aids related complex (ARC), a precursor to Aids. It was the early days of the virus and nurses and orderlies donned rubber gloves or "space suits" before entering her room, and wiped the phone every time she used it.
One nurse, not knowing who she was, chatted about how a local photographer wanted to take some photos of her daughter. Stephen Fried's biography, Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia, records the patient's response: "Don't do it. Even if she wants it, don't let her do it. I used to be a model. You don't want your kid to be a model."

On 18 November 1986 Gia Carangi died, of Aids. She was 26. Looking back, what did it all add up to? For a moment Gia - with her pale skin, limpid brown eyes and dark brown mane of coarse cuts and waves - redefined the fashion industry's standard of beauty. She had, said her agent, Wilhelmina Cooper, "a fantastically pliable face"; she could be really sophisticated in one shooting and be a real Lolita type in another".
Scavullo, the photographer, who died last year, wrote of her: "Gia is my darling - old, young, decadent, innocent, volatile, vulnerable, and more tough-spirited than she looks.
"She is all nuance and suggestion, like a series of images by Bertolucci ... I never think of her as a model, though she's one of the best. She doesn't give you the Hot Look, the Cool Look, the Cute Look; she strikes sparks, not poses. Out of doors, especially, I have never known anyone so excitingly free and spontaneous, constantly changing, moving (which drove me crazy until I got smart and learnt to focus the camera faster) - she's like photographing a stream of consciousness."
This was not artless. "A model has to create moods," Gia said at the height of her fame.
"You have to be careful not to get stuck in a mood - emotions have trends just like fashion ... I become what ever your eye wants to see. It's my job."
As a result "a disproportionate number of the beauty and fashion shots she appears in", says Stephen Fried, "transcend the accepted level of artful commerce and approach the realm of actual photographic art".

Her life only added to the allure with which her photographs are often now viewed. As the Angelina Jolie film showed, it is possible to project on to Gia's story so many of the dreams of contemporary culture. It is a rags-to-riches tale. It is a lesbian love story. It a harrowing look at the effects of long-term drug abuse. It is the story of a poor-little-rich-girl. It is a chilling commentary on the heartlessness and fear of the first days of the Aids epidemic. It is story of a girl who spent her whole life trying to find something to fill the hole left by her mother's departure.
"I think God has a plan for me," Gia said, with all the unconscious pomposity that modern celebrity can muster. It was, it turned out, that she was to become the first famous woman to be diagnosed with, and die of, Aids. "Modelling," she said on another occasion, "is a short gig."

[ Last edited bylinaxman at 11-2-2009 07:12 PM ]

elysyle Publish time 11-2-2009 07:37 PM

citer dia best
tengok masa skolah dulu.. very good

liyamariska Publish time 14-2-2009 09:06 PM

yg kita tau...Gia ni bisexual...:o

nia_salina Publish time 11-3-2009 05:16 PM

moi tgk yg angelina blakon based on GIA life..mak ai ....very the SX uu noe

nia_salina Publish time 11-3-2009 05:18 PM

kalau tgk cite tuh jgn bagi bebudak tgk...yg tak open minded anggap je filem ni ART..hehhe..dalam movie called GIA by actress angelina jolie..mmg de tunjuk ygg die nih biseksual n kaki dadah

linaxman Publish time 11-3-2009 05:28 PM

Balas #6 nia_salina\ catat

ha'a.. citer ni mmg bukan utk youngster.. byk adegan 18SX n 18SG.. bahayau!

Angelina sendiri tertekan berlakon citer ni sbb dia menghayati sgt kehidupan Gia...

me tgk movie yg Angie berlakon jer.. yg diaorg buat documentary movie tu.. blom tgk lagi.. xtau sapa yg jadi Gia nyer.. best tak ek?

linaxman Publish time 11-3-2009 05:30 PM

tapi actually cam kesian kat Gia ni... org nyer cantik tapi kehidupan dia cam takde makna jer.. mati muda sbb dadah.. sumer cause her bad childhood memory

pinggan Publish time 12-3-2009 10:42 AM

tak pernah tgk movie gia yg angie belakon...agak2 kalau nak beli cd/dvd citer ni mn nak dapat eh....:loveliness:

linaxman Publish time 12-3-2009 11:50 AM

Balas #9 pinggan\ catat

urmm.. cam susah jer nak dpt cd/vcd ni sbb movie ni dah kira oldskool gak..

maybe boleh search n download.. or cari pirated vcd keh.. huhu

klau ada pon me nk watch lagi..

aurelia Publish time 12-3-2009 01:29 PM

Kat tempat saya tinggal , masih ada jual dvd cetak rompak GIA ni. Terkejut gak,..ingatkan takde atau x mungkin ada lagi. Tapi masih ada. Cuma cetak rompak jer lah..hehe. RM 6 saja;P

linaxman Publish time 12-3-2009 01:45 PM

Balas #11 aurelia\ catat

wah! hebat tu! area mana tu?

linaxman Publish time 12-3-2009 01:53 PM

Photo Angelina as Gia

http://www.yyrkoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/gia.png

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1998_GIA/998GIA_Angelina_Jolie_004.jpg

http://www.makemeheal.com/gossip/uploaded_images/angelina_jolie_gia-706846.jpg

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4841/gia15xg.jpg

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/030709/17427__12angie_l.jpg

http://www.hotsexyangelinajolie.com/data/media/4/gia-movie%20(21).jpg

http://pentimento.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/gia1.jpg

http://web.zone.ee/devangelmoviepic/gia60.jpg

Siap apa doll lagi Angelina as Gia
http://a0.vox.com/6a0100a7fd3a43000e00fa969c38780002-500pi

honey_jelly Publish time 12-3-2009 01:59 PM

aku download citer nih..uncut lagi tuh..;P ;Pbut mmg acting angie dlm citer ni mmg surprising...no wonder she won golden globe awards for that role...ni HBO original movies..so payah skit ah kalo nak cari DVD

linaxman Publish time 12-3-2009 02:11 PM

Balas #14 honey_jelly\ catat

beshnyer honey_jelly! download dr w/site maner yer??huhu

dulu masa time college me watch movie nie.. angie was great!

linaxman Publish time 12-3-2009 02:48 PM

More Angie's photo as Gia

http://1.gvt0.com/vi/P2J6MHgtAaE/0.jpg

http://www.poof187.com/AngelinaJolie/screenshots2/gia21.jpg

[ Last edited bylinaxman at 12-3-2009 14:51 ]

aurelia Publish time 13-3-2009 03:09 AM

Originally posted by linaxman at 12-3-2009 01:45 PM http://mforum5.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif
wah! hebat tu! area mana tu?

Dekat melaka. Ha hari tu, saya ada jumpa available torrent utk GIA. Tapi masa tu, not enough space to download. So, terpaksa biar dulu. Maybe linaxman boleh try dulu. www.mininova.org

linaxman Publish time 13-3-2009 10:20 AM

Originally posted by aurelia at 13-3-2009 03:09 http://mforum4.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

Dekat melaka. Ha hari tu, saya ada jumpa available torrent utk GIA. Tapi masa tu, not enough space to download. So, terpaksa biar dulu. Maybe linaxman boleh try dulu. www.mininova.org

oo kt mininova ada ek... ada byk x?hopefully file dia good quality n uncut nyer.. huhu! thanks aurelia!

aurelia Publish time 14-3-2009 03:22 PM

Balas #18 linaxman\ catat

Awak dah check kat mininova? Yang saya jumpa tu uncut version. Ni saya pastekan nama torrent file dari mininova tu. ( Gia.1998.DVDRip.x264-VGL .torrent" )

menatang Publish time 15-3-2009 03:02 PM

adegan apa yg dasat2 lam cite gia tuh???:funk:
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Gia Carangi - The Supermodel - The Tragic Tale

ADVERTISEMENT