Truth.8 Publish time 19-12-2022 11:39 PM

Tattoos – what does the Bible really say?

Edited by Truth.8 at 20-12-2022 11:49 AM

It seems over the past decade or so, tattoos have burst from a sub-culture of our society into popular culture. TV shows based on the tattoo industry are springing up on major networks; social media pages for tattoo culture are numbering in the millions of followers, and you would be hard pressed to take a walk on the street and not see several people sporting leg tattoos or arm sleeves. Tattoos have become a mainstream part of society.

Does the bible have anything to say about tattoos and is it relevant for us today?

Questions often asked about this subject are: Is there a relationship between the ritual tattoos of ancient times and the "body art" of today? What biblical principles apply in deciding whether to get a tattoo or not?

Tattooing has been around for centuries and in recent years, this practice has enjoyed a popular resurgence, especially among young people. The reasons vary. Some get tattoos to show independence and rejection of parental values. Others get them because of peer pressure or because they believe they are stylish -- a type of body adornment and beautification. Some tattoos are outlandish in appearance and are for the specific purpose of drawing attention.

As for God's instruction regarding tattoos, the Bible does not specifically address the modern practice of tattooing as body adornment. While Leviticus 19:28-KJV says,
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. ", most scholars believe these practices were related to mourning for the dead.

Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary's article on tattoos says, "Any kind of self-laceration or marking of the body was prohibited among the Hebrew people. Such cuttings were associated with pagan cults that tattooed their followers while they mourned the dead (1986).”

Apparently, these people cut themselves and disfigured their bodies as a way of appeasing the anger of their gods and hoping to find some help for the deceased. God did not want His people getting involved in these pagan rituals because these practices led people away from Him. While death is always a sad time, God's people are not to "sorrow as others who have no hope" (1 Thessalonians 4:13).

We should also be aware that there are many health risks in modern day tattooing, including the risk of contracting Hepatitis B and re-actions to certain dyes.

For people who get tattoos when they are young, many later regret their decision. One survey in 2015 shows that 23% (nearly one in four people) regret having their body tattooed (http://shoulditattoo.com/2016/09/03/tattoo-facts-statistics/). Some eventually undergo operations to have their tattoos removed, but these procedures are not always successful. Scarring and skin discolorations commonly remain.

While most of the current tattooing has no association with religious practices, and it is unlikely that people today get tattoos to mourn the dead, there are other biblical principles that indicate that getting a tattoo is not appropriate for Christians.

Several scriptures instruct Christians to take special care of their bodies. For example, 1 Corinthians 3:17 says, "If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." Also, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 adds “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's".

There is always the thought that as God has given us a wonderful body with the potential to be His children forever, why would we use our bodies for graffiti?

Finally, we should bear in mind that God wants Christians to come out of and be separate from the world around us (2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Revelation 18:4). We are to reflect God's values and His thinking, not the world’s thinking. Because of these reasons, we strongly advise that people do not get tattoos.

If a person already has a tattoo before becoming a Christian, he or she does not need to have it removed. A person with a tattoo and who is genuinely seeking to love God and keep His commandments is following a path of life that is pleasing to God. God looks on the heart of the individual – not the physical tattoo.

Truth.8 Publish time 20-12-2022 11:45 AM

Tattoos don’t stay beautiful over the years

Maybe you just like body art. Again, can you opt for non-permanent versions? Try Henna tattoos for example! Remember when considering a permanent tattoo, that your skin will change, stretch and sag as you age, and what looks beautiful now, may not look so pretty once you are past 40.
We are free to honor God

You may have reasons I have not mentioned above. Whatever your motivation, you have freedom in Christ to make wise choices. Use the sense God has given you, keeping in mind that your body is the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit, so honor God with your body! (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

Truth.8 Publish time 20-12-2022 11:52 AM

Edited by Truth.8 at 20-12-2022 11:53 AM

Does the New Testament override the Old Testament?

Christians believe that the New Testament is the fulfilment of the Old Testament. So in the Old Testament we see the relationship between man and God fractured by sin but w

e also see God’s faithfulness as he continues to love his chosen people and maintains that promise even though time after time they turn away from Him. The law is given to his people so that they by obeying that law may stay close to God but it turns out that it is hard for sinful man to keep the law.

The Old Testament law takes contains laws like the one below which most sincere Christians would not follow:

1. Exodus 21:22-25 “Suppose two men are fighting and hit a pregnant woman, causing the baby to come out. If there is no further injury, the man who caused the accident must pay money—whatever amount the woman’s husband says and the court allows. But if there is further injury, then the punishment that must be paid is life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, and bruise for bruise.

The purpose of this law seems to be to allow proportionate retribution and limit retaliation but Jesus says,

5. Matthew 5:38-48 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also
. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies

and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

So in this case the New Testament does in a sense take precedence over the Old Testament law by actually making it harder for us. Don’t we long for vengeance against those who wrong us or hurt the weak and vulnerable.

There are other parts of the Old Testament law that Christians no longer follow such as not eating shell fish or making clothes using a combination of wool and linen. These laws made up the laws that served to demonstrate obedience and purity. I would argue strongly that these laws are not followed by most Christians

So what has changed?

When Jesus died on the cross Christians believe that it was for our salvation and in rising from the dead Jesus conquers the power of sin and death.
    The Holy Spirit is given to all who believe and the law which was written down is now ‘written’ on our hearts.

17 Therefore say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel.’ 18 And when they come there, they will remove from it all its detestable things and all its abominations. 19 And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, 20 that they may walk in my statutes and keep my rules and obey them. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

Jesus summed up the law quoting Deuteronomy

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.”

and adds quoting Leviticus

“…you shall love your neighbour as yourself”

We need both the Old Testament and the New Testament as the Old Testament shows us pictures of people who fail and also pictures of people of great faith from whom we can learn so much. There’s is a fund of wisdom in the Old Testament and songs for every occasion and we would be poorer and much weaker without it.

Truth.8 Publish time 20-12-2022 12:00 PM

The Old Testament in the New Testament

One of the common misconceptions among readers of the Bible is that a large part of it is obsolete-irrelevant for modern life. Sadly, some professing Christians have unwittingly turned a blind eye to much of God's revelation by rejecting what is known as the Old Testament. They believe that the New Testament-the writings of the apostles-is what really matters; that the Old Testament was valid up until Christ came, but at that time became old and outdated.

Did God, in essence, provide humankind with two Bibles? Did He inspire one set of writings-the Hebrew Scriptures-for the Israelites living from Moses' time to Christ's birth, and then provide another set in the first century, with that set intended for everyone else?

Read more :    https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/the-old-testament-in-the-new-testament
Pages: [1]
View full version: Tattoos – what does the Bible really say?

ADVERTISEMENT