CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: lows^man^lyrics

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan (selamat melahirkan bayi perempuan)

[Copy link]
Post time 14-11-2006 08:09 PM | Show all posts
HC refuses to stay release of 'Umrao Jaan' for recovery of dues
02nd Nov 2006  09.50 IST
By Agencies  

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday refused to stay the release of Aishwarya Rai - Abhishek Bachchan - starrer film Umrao Jaan on a petition seeking dues of Rs 7.5 lakh for post-production work.

Vacation Judge V M Kanade said he was deferring the hearing to November 8 before a regular bench as the court felt that there was no urgency in the matter.

The movie is slated for an all India release on November 3.

RajTaru studios had filed a petition seeking recovery of Rs 7.5 lakh due for postproduction work of ?mrao Jaan? and also asked for a stay on the film's release.

The petitioner contended that on earlier occasions also the producer of the film, J.P. Dutta , had not settled post production dues for his films Refugee and LoC Kargil and paid only Rs 10 lakh as part payment towards the same.

The petitioner further said it had approached the Association of Motion Pictures Studios, which appointed a Dispute Settlement Committee to look into the issue.

The Committee had directed Dutta to pay the dues but the payment had not been received so far, he said.

Seeking a stay on ?mrao Jaan?, the petitioner raised an apprehension that if the film failed at the box office and in case the producer suffered losses, then they would not get their dues and hence insisted on payment of dues before the release of the film.

(The picture shows Ash in a still from the film).

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-11-2006 08:11 PM | Show all posts
"Umrao Jaan brought me a mirror to remind me not to forget where I come from." - Vaibhavi Merchant  
By IndiaFM News Bureau, November 2, 2006 - 10:09 IST

Umrao Jaan is an eternal love story of Nawab Sultan and Umrao Jaan. It? a story of a courtesan, who made people crazy by her elegance and Mujras. Choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant, the person behind Aishwarya? breathtaking dance performances for Umrao Jaan reveals her experience.

To match her steps with the rich classic era, Vaibhavi had to go back into her life, through everything she had learnt. ?mrao Jaan is a film I have trained for, all my life. A film I have been waiting for. I recollected the time, when I was shouted by my guru for not doing the todas, tukras or chakars right. The time when I used to watch and assimilate from the performances of greats like Birju Maharaj?, she reminisces.

Talking about film? music she says, ? was amazed by its songs as its music sounded extremely rich. Similarly, classical dancing is associated with grace, elegance and respect and that is what one ought to bring out in a dance. J.P.Dutta wanted energy and effervescence to emerge out of these songs. He did not want them to look like sleazy Mujras. Therefore this was a great chance for me to showcase that elegant grace and respect through my dance.?

Being master in her art, Vaibhavi feels a film like Pakeezah was an inspiration for her to set her skills. The courtesan had to express through her eyes. Even when Umrao was sitting she had to express as much as possible through her subtle actions and that was the biggest challenge for Vaibhavi. She says, ?mrao had to mesmerize you with her ?daas?; in fact that is why she was called Umrao Jaan Ada. Her audience had to feel she was looking solely at them, only then would they lose their heart. So there had to be no suggestive gestures. Umrao had to look regal and convince one that she could win innumerable hearts. She had to accentuate the pain rampant in her poetry through her dance.?

Speaking about the leading lady Aishwarya Rai she says, ?ishwarya Rai as Umrao has been a great boon. In one close-up she can express volumes and one can get a glimpse of her potential as an actress. Truly, she makes a fabulous Umrao. I had pre-choreographed each song. But we had to make sure that with the rich & heavy costumes, Aishwarya Rai who was mainly doing the dances was comfortable while dancing. Sometimes we had to alter the steps to ensure that the grandeur of the costume got justice. Luckily Umrao Jaan? dance movements were delicate & feminine so there was not much of a problem.?

Director J.P Dutta was clear about his Umrao Jaan? appearance. Vaibhavi says, ?t times he would suddenly want to stress on a particular thought and would want to bring it out though dance. There and then we had to choreograph the appropriate steps. I remember once he decided that he wanted Ayesha Jhulka & Divya Dutta to dance during a particular sequence. On the spot we trained the girls & they did a commendable job. There is no doubt that with Umrao Jaan, J.P Dutta has taken me where I am happiest. He has bought me back to my roots .You move on in the journey of life, but Umrao Jaan brought me a mirror to remind me not to forget where I come from.

Use magic Report

Post time 14-11-2006 08:13 PM | Show all posts
Publicity stunt for Ash  
Updated:  11-02-2006
By andhracafe

Except for Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek none know if they are in love. If any rumour arises they strike it off.

Someone is exasperated with this bit and got them married in a gossip mag. Ash is livid that people have already fixed her wedding date and the venue too. One wonders if there is any truth in this matter because Umrao Jaan is releasing today and this could be a publicity stunt.

Use magic Report

Post time 14-11-2006 08:15 PM | Show all posts
After watching ?mrao Jaan?, Aishwarya couldn? restrain her from ?.!
by Debasis Jana

Aishwarya Rai watched ?mrao Jaan', which is scheduled to rock theatres on this coming Friday. Yesterday, on November 1, which happens to be the film's heroine Aishwarya Rai's birthday, Director-producer J.P. Dutta arranged a special show of the film for Bachchan and Rai families at Film City .

Aishwarya was apparently in a celebrating mood prior the screening of the film; however the ecstasy didn't last very long. As the film progressed, Aishwarya became very upset and she apparently broke down into tears. A source close to the Dutta team said ?fter watching the film, Aishwarya looked so dissatisfied and upset that she had tears in her eyes?. As per the source, ?ishwarya was upset at her bland and un-watchable performance that she started to cry so much and extra tissues had to bring into the theatre?. Let's see whether the film's box office success can bring the million-dollar grin back on her face. Right!

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:07 AM | Show all posts
?? not getting married now,? Abhishek!
by Debasis Jana

After Aishwarya Rai, now her alleged boyfriend Abhishek Bachchan also opened his mouth after the recent rumours about his impending marriage with Aishwarya hit the headlines.

Like Aishwarya, Abhishek also denied the rumour upright. In a recent interview, when asked about his marriage plan, Abhishek was quick to quip, ?'m not getting married, now.?

?hy are people so bothered about our personal lives? We maybe public figures but something should be left private. The media is meant to be the conscience of the nation and convey correct information but when they begin to fabricate news, they lose the trust of the common man,? said Abhishek merely in fuming voice. ?'m too busy right now so rest assured there's no such excitement,? said Jr. Bachchan.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:11 AM | Show all posts
Exclusive Synopsis of ?hoom 2?
Faridoon Shahryar, IndiaGlitz [Thursday, November 02, 2006]  

BACK IN ACTION... DHOOM:2 reinvents the action comedy genre and propels it into the 21st century.

Ali? (Uday Chopra) dream of becoming a police officer has come true. He is now ACP Jai Dixit? (Abhishek Bachchan) ?ight hand man?. Together, they are trying to keep a tight leash on the crime in India. Little do they know what they are going to be up against.

Enter Aryan - Mr. A (Hrithik Roshan) - A hi-tech international thief. After pulling off a series of impossible heists all over the world, his next target is Mumbai, India. The case is given to ACP Jai and Ali. Helping them put the pieces of the puzzle together is ACP Shonali Bose (Bipasha Basu), Jai? college mate, now a police officer in her own right. For the last two years Shonali has been tracking these amazing thefts and is now an expert on this thief, who no one has seen.

Once in Mumbai, Mr. A finds his match in Sunehri (Aishwarya Rai), a petty yet clever thief. She makes him an offer he finds very hard to refuse. A partnership! Aryan accepts.

And so the game begins ? a game of cat and mouse ? a game of good v/s bad.

The ?OPS? - Jai, Shonali and Ali; and they are after Aryan and Sunehri ? ?he ROBBERS?.

From the desert of Namibia to the backwaters of Goa, the mean streets of Mumbai and the ancient forts of Rajasthan, and finally to ?ild n Exotic? Rio, Brazil.

Does ACP Jai Dixit manage to nab Mr. A? Or does Mr. A prove to be too much for him?

Never-Seen-Before Action Sequences, Hi-Tech Heists, Breathtaking Hi-Speed Chases, Non-Stop Laughter and Excitement will lead you to the answer to these questions.

Go On?! Enjoy the RIDE?!! ONCE AGAIN?!!!

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 15-11-2006 07:13 AM | Show all posts
A special review of 'Umrao Jaan' on IBN 7

Watch Premier 7 for an exciting weekend!!!

New Delhi, November 2, 2006: To spice up the weekend for the viewers, IBN 7 presents a special review on ?mrao Jaan? on Premier 7 on Saturday, November 4 at 7:30pm. Premier 7 is a must watch to know more about the making of the movie. Audience can also catch charismatic Aishwarya Rai with Abhishek Bachchan as they talk about the making of ?mrao Jaan? and lots more.

The show will also feature a special celebrity guest invited to watch the weekly film release and give his/her point of view regarding the cast, story, direction music and other elements of the film. The guest will rate the film on a scale of 0-7 and Anshu Sisodia (show host) will rate it too as per IBN 7 standards.

To add up some more fun, Premiere 7 will feature previews on forthcoming Bollywood & Hollywood films, updates on star lives, box-office results, and top rated songs and lots more.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:14 AM | Show all posts
Umrao Jaan's 123 prints in Bombay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ashok Anchan
2 November 2006, 09:10 PM     

MUMBAI: Adlabs is releasing J.P. Dutta's Umrao Jaan starring Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai and Shabana Azmi worldwide on 3 November. Rajiv Malhotra, who is releasing the film in the Bombay Circuit on behalf of Adlabs, is releasing it with 123 prints.

A spokesperson from Malhotra's office said, "We are releasing the film in the Bombay circuit only. In Bombay city and suburbs 45 prints will be released, while in Thane 12 prints are being released. In Maharashtra there will be 21 prints, 32 in Gujarat, six in Saurashtra, four in Hubli (Karnataka) and three in Goa."

"As far as digital prints are concerned, 27 DLPs and 46 UFOs are also being released," he adds.

The film is being released mostly in multiplexes all over. In Bombay, the main cinemas are Metro Adlabs, Inox, Liberty, Apsara, Minerva, Central Plaza and Roxy.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 15-11-2006 07:16 AM | Show all posts
?f I? to be accused of the Ash-Abhishek link-up, then it? working against my film?  

Umrao Jaan? director JP Dutta settles few rumours and lets out some facts  

Harneet Singh

Mumbai, November 2: What prompted you to remake Umrao Jaan?
First of all, it? not a remake. A remake is made of a film while mine is a film based on Mirza Hadi Ruswa? book, so, actually, it? an adaptation. I don? know why such a big deal is being made about me making Umrao Jaan. And let me tell you that Muzaffar Ali? Umrao Jaan was not the only film on the courtesan? life. There was Zindagi Aur Toofan and Mehndi before that. I made this film because it was my father OP Dutta? dream project. He started it in 1955, with Nimmi, but couldn? complete it. I wanted to make his dream come true.

How many times have you seen Muzaffar Ali? Umrao Jaan?
I?e never seen it. I?e only seen the songs on television.

Why cast Aishwarya Rai in the title role?
Ash has a very soft heart. Even if she hears a rank stranger? sad story, tears well up in her eyes. And they are not fake tears. I?e observed that aspect of her personality and felt that she could react beautifully to the tragedy of Umrao Jaan. And I? very confident that once people see the film, they will agree that the actor Aishwarya Rai has dominated the beautiful Aishwarya Rai.

All your films are high on testosterone, what was it like directing a woman-centric film?
Well, for once, I didn? have to climb mountains or walk in the desert. By far, I?e learnt that women are more committed, honest and sincere. Men carry lots of baggage. Also this time around, there were no drinking sessions on the ets (laughs).

How do you explain the allegations of lack of authenticity in your Umrao Jaan, especially with regards to the topi and safa sequence in the film?
I want to tell everyone that one of the oldest living courtesans of Lucknow, Zareena Parveen, was present on my sets during the entire shoot. We also had Mr Rizvi, a living encyclopedia on the culture of Lucknow, around. With regards to the safa, if you visit the Museum of Lucknow, you?l see Wajid Ali Shah, who was a Nawab of that time, also wearing one. God knows why people are going on and on about these things.

They also allege that you didn? shoot the film in Lucknow and have, instead, posed Jaipur as Umrao? hometown?
My first interview after completing the shooting of Umrao Jaan was in Lucknow. Every newspaper carried my that. Instead of making false allegations, my detractors should check with the journalists there. I shot for over 60 days in Lucknow. Only for the indoor portions, we shifted to Jaipur because it looks the closest to what Awadh was at that time. Really, if I can shoot in Leh to make LoC: Kargil look authentic, I can surely shoot in Lucknow.

So, why is everyone gunning for you?
Because people don? understand that I? trying to walk on the middle path of filmmaking. I want to find the perfect balance between the aesthetic and the mainstream. It? not easy. Only Guru Dutt and Raj Kapoor managed to do so.

What has been your father OP Dutta? reaction to the film?
The men in my family are not very demonstrative. We don? express our feelings, but this year, on my birthday, my dad wrote a very moving note for me on the greeting card. He said, ?hank you, son, for giving me Umrao Jaan in the twilight of my life.? I will always treasure it.

t? your response to trade buzz that the Aishwarya Rai-Abhishek Bachchan alleged link-up is a publicity stunt for your film?
All that I can say to this is that if I? to be accused of this then it? working against my film because Umrao Jaan is a tragedy.

Would you want Rekha to see your Umrao Jaan?
Absolutely. Very few people know that she was my first heroine, when I started my career as an assistant director for Randhir Kapoor? Dharam Karam. She never called me by my name and would always refer to me as a ?ibran? since that? her sun sign also.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:17 AM | Show all posts
Hindi Music Review: Dhoom 2
Deepa1021   

2006-11-01 15:33:04        

When Dhoom released in 2004, it was a landmark film in many ways. The villains riding uber-fast motorcycles, a cop with power and sex appeal, and of course, the comical police sidekick made this story tick at the box office.

It was also the beginning of an upward slope in the careers of all the actors involved. John Abraham, as the bad guy, finally got noticed and was able to put a big fat Yash Chopra tag on his resume. Abhishek Bachchan became the new sex symbol on the block (sigh?). And with her dance number in the title song, Esha Deol, the daughter of two Bollywood superstars, had finally arrived. Her song has often been equated to the national anthem of India for that year.

Yash Chopra films returns with Dhoom 2 and it? big. The star cast, led again by Abhishek Bachchan, includes some of the biggest names in Bollywood: Hritik Roshan as the bad guy, Aishwarya Rai as his sidekick, Bipasha Basu as Abhishek? sexy colleague, and Uday Chopra as the comic partner Ali. Pritam has composed the music for Dhoom 2. Sameer has written the lyrics.

Expectations are soaring for this film and its soundtrack. However, after hearing the soundtrack, I was a bit disappointed. Where the first album had several hip chartbusters, this album falls a little short. This is a soundtrack that tries too hard. And the composer and lyricist don? quite succeed in making it hip. At best, they make it decent. And at worst? One only has to listen the ?y Name is Ali? track to realize that this ship is two songs away from sinking. Take a look.

Crazy Kiya Re - Sunidhi Chauhan

This album definitely starts on a high note. When I first heard this song, I didn? like it. But I found myself still humming it several days later. The more I hear it, the better it gets. Sunidhi Chauhan knocks this one out of the ballpark. It? a good blend of hip-hop and eastern music. This should be a Bipasha Basu song because I don? know if Aishwarya can carry the requisite body language of this song as well, but considering she? the poster girl, I wouldn? be surprised if they tried to showcase Aishwarya here.

The remix was a welcome piece because when I heard the original, I kept wanting it to go faster. The fast tempo actually makes this song better. Well-played by the music directors.

Touch Me ? Kay Kay, Alisha Chinai

Yay for Alisha Chinai!! I love this lady. She sings a lower scale for this song and sounds awesome. Kay Kay sounds good too, but Alisha definitely steals the limelight. Other than their singing, not much can be said. I like the tone of the song, which is suited to the tone of the movie. I also like the music. I don?, however, like the blend of Hindi and English because it? not done very effectively. This number is passable.

My Name Is Ali - Sonu Nigam, Bipasa Basu

This is one of those songs that sound really silly when you first hear it. But I get the feeling that aon screen, it? going to be a delight to watch. It? centered on Uday Chopra, who plays Ali. Sonu Nigam is alright, he does what he is required to. But he? not mind-blowing or anything.

Dil Laga Na - Sukhbir, Soham, Jolly Mukherjee, Mahalaxmi Iyer, Suzanne

After the previous two songs, this one seems a little tedious. Parts of it are fun, parts of it are sorta annoying. It starts off well, and then when they starts saying ?hoom Dhoom? the words again go down the drain. Sameer just can? get it really right with this album.

Dhoom Again - Vishal Dadlani, Dominique

The best song in the album. No doubt about it. This is a reprise of the title song from the first Dhoom, yet it is a very distinct piece on its own. And Vishal Dadlani sings it well! Dominique, as always, delivers. This one to stay on the charts for a while. The album? saving grace.

This was such a tiresome review to write. Aside from Crazy Kiya Re Remix and Dhoom Again, this album is a complete letdown. The body is there; the soul is missing. And will someone please inform the director that the way to make the songs appeal to a young, hip crowd is to find a lyricist who is young and hip. Sameer just doesn? cut it.

Two stars out of five.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:21 AM | Show all posts
'UMRAO JAAN' IS SPECIAL FOR O.P.DUTTA

By Satyajit - Eye TV India Bureau

Veteran filmmaker J P Dutta is the "man of the moment" with his most spectacular presentation 'Umrao Jaan' hitting theatres on November 3rd. J P Dutta, the prolific director who earlier made min-blowing war films will be making his first attempt at an emotional saga beautifully portrayed through ethnic culture of early nineteenth century. The old filmmaker is angry that his film is touted as "remake" of 'Umrao Jaan' (1981). He has stressed that his film is archetypal journey of literary works of Ruswa's "Umrao Jaan Adaa" and not replica of any film. Dutta adds that his film is emotional journey of protagonist "Amiran" from her troublesome days of childhood to her colorful youthful days as "Umrao Jaan Adaa".

It showcases "person" rather than glorifying "persona" and it gets unfolded through sentimental journey of beautiful but unfortunate girl. Dutta targets "women" audience as his source of inspiration was the thought provoking couplet of Sahir Ludhianvi "Aurat Ne Jaanam Diya Mardon Ko, Mardon Ne Unhe Baazar Diya", beautifully sung by none other than melody queen Lata Mangeshkar. The film wears splendor looks with Aishwarya wearing costumes worth millions designed by ace fashion designer Anna Singh. Anu Malik delivers his finest music of lifetime with Alka Yagnik's vocal excellence ruling the show.

The literary work of Ruswa's "Umrao Jaan Ada" was earlier plagiarized on screen in films like 'Mehndi', 'Zindagi Aur Toofan' and 'Umrao Jaan' and this 'Umrao Jaan' will be fourth inspirational work. Screen diva Rekha gave immortal performance as courtesan in 'Umrao Jaan' in 1981 with melodious soundtracks by music maestro Khayyam ruling everybody's heart. Gorgeous Aishwarya Rai outlives this character with the supporting cast of Abhishek Bachchan in the role of Nawab Sultan, Suniel Shetty playing an estranged lover named Haider Ali while Shabana Azmi portrays the dignified "Khannum". It will be her second big costume drama after the glorious successful of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's 'Devdas'.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:22 AM | Show all posts
Aishwarya 'badly needs a hit film'  

MUMBAI: The first of three new movies opens today for popular Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai, whom analysts say desperately needs a hit to retrieve her career from a string of duds at the boxoffice.

The first new release due to hit theatres, Umrao Jaan, is based on the book that tells the tragic story of a courtesan in northern India in the twilight of Mughal rule.

The story revolves around a girl kidnapped from home and sold to a brothel, where she learns to sing, write, dance and captivate wealthy men. She later falls in love with a Muslim prince.

"Though Umrao Jaan is a story based in the 19th century, this story could take place anywhere in India today. This could be the story of so many girls," the former Miss World told reporters.

"This is a big phase for Aishwarya. She is the international face of Bollywood," Indian films trade analyst Pramod Natha said.

A local Press report said the films represented a critical phase in Rai's Bollywood career, after just three of 30 movies she made in the past decade were hits at the box office.

"At 33, this is her last chance to prove herself in these movies," the Hindustan Times daily newspaper said last week, quoting trade analyst Amod Mehra.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:24 AM | Show all posts
Umrao Jaan released today
Friday, November 03, 2006 07:54:25 am

Filmmaker J P Dutta's adaptation of the classic - Umrao Jaan releases today. The one question foremost on the minds of the industry as well as viewers is - will JP Datta's version score over the 1981 original?

The magnum opus has a star-studded cast but all eyes will be on Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai - Nawab Sultan and Ameeran.

The story revolves around life in 19th century Lucknow and the romance that developed between a courtesan Umrao Jaan Ada and the Nawab Sultan of Awadh.

Aishwarya Rai is elated on portraying a character earlier essayed by the ageless diva Rekha. "I am glad to do this movie. It was a great learning experience. I feel blessed," says the new Umrao Jaan.

The movie tries to recreate the royal grandeur of Lucknow in an era gone by. The costumes form an essential part of the story and retaining its authenticity was a task successfully achieved, after lots of research and experimentation.

According to designer Anna Singh, "We have tried to create everything new. We have done a lot of research but we have also combined a lot of glamour with that matches the theme."

The songs penned by Javed Akhtar and set to music by Anu Malik are sure to find their way into the audience' hearts.

With Abhishek Bachchan and the beautiful Aishwarya Rai as leading characters, and a talented cast including actors like Shabana Azmi, Divya Dutta and Suneil Shetty, it all now depends on the viewer's vote.

Will JP Dutta's version rival the original?

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 07:25 AM | Show all posts
Why Rajputs are unhappy with 'Jodha Akbar'
03rd Nov 2006  09.01 IST
By Agencies  

A section of the Rajput community is not happy with Ahustosh Gowarikar ? historical venture Jodha Akbar that stars Aishwarya Rai and Hrithik Roshan in the title roles.

An organisation of Rajput community today alleged Gowarikar, who has started the shooting of the movie, is "tampering" with history and threatened to move court to stop filming of the project.

State President of Sri Rajput Karni Sena Ajit Singh Mamdoli charged Gowarikar with representing "wrong facts" in his movie.

Singh said Gowarikar is all set to make Jodha the wife of Mughal emperor Akbar even though she was the wife of Salim alias Jahangir, he claimed adding "we would not let him do so".

"We would not tolerate this in the land of Rajputs and would not let anyone to portray the Rajput community in a wrong manner", he added.

The Sena said it would request the state government to tell Gowarikar that he should change the title of the film and not associate the Rajput community with the film.

"We might also take the legal opinion and would seek information from historians on this matter and would definitely stop Gowarikar if he is planning to tamper with the history", he said.

It was also decided in the meeting that Sena would not let Gowarikar to shoot in any part of Rajasthan.

However, Gowarikar and his shooting unit are settled in Jaipur's city palace where the 'mahurat' shot was captured on Wednesday amidst heavy security. Media persons were not allowed to cover the 'mahurat' proceedings.

Ash and Hrithik are likely to take part in the shooting from November 4.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 08:52 AM | Show all posts
Ash takes on Rekha as Umrao Jaan hits the screens  

Mumbai, Nov 03: Director J P Dutta? Umrao Jaan starring Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan hits the theatres across the country today. Umrao Jaan is touted as one of the most anticipated movie of the year and is a remake of Muzaffar Ali? Rekha starrer-Umrao Jaan released in 1981.

The movie has been described by director J P Dutta as his own interpretation of Mirza Mohammad Haadi Ruswa`s novel ?mrao Jaan Ada? rather than a remake of 1981 classic. The movie features Aishwarya Rai as Umrao Jaan, Sunil Shetty as Gauhar Mirza and Abhishek Bachchan as Nawab Sultan. Shabana Azmi will be portrayed as Madame Khanum Jaan. Anu Malik is the music composer.

Dutta? movie has been grabbing the headlines even before its release thanks to the media speculation that Aishwarya and Abhishek are set to replicate their romance in real life and will be tying the knot in February.

There were several controversies surrounding the movie ever since its announcement. RajTaru Studios, a post-production and special effects company, had filed a suit against Dutta in the Bombay High Court, seeking a stay on the release of Umrao Jaan till the filmmaker cleared the payment of Rs 17 lakhs due to them for the work they did for his earlier films Refugee and LOC.

The matter was heard by Justice Kanade, who ruled that there was no need to stay the release of Umrao Jaan as it had nothing to do with the case.

Aishwarya, often described as one of the most beautiful women of the world, is also facing the litmus test, as her performance would be scrutinised minutely by the audience and the critics. The expectations are sky-high as in the movie she takes on the diva Rekha, who went on to win the National Award for her heart-wrenching performance.

Khayyam? music in Ali? Umrao Jaan went down in history as one of the best ever in India cinema. Anu Malik? music for Dutta? movie has so far failed to impress many.

It seems that the epic drama of Umrao Jaan is not working too well for either Aishwarya or Abhishek Bachchan. The J P Dutta flick that released today failed to retain any of enthusiasm the public had for the movie before watching it! As one Anuradha coming out PVR Saket multiplex said, ?ishwarya completely failed to match up to Rekha in every sense. Only hand movements are not enough, the expressions and eye movements of Rekha were completely missing, hence the magic has not been recreated.?

Another viewer said, ?bhishek Bachchan has not done justice to the emotional journey of the movie and was very unconvincing in the role of Nawab. He also failed to evoke the nostalgia that was beautifully created by Farooq Sheikh in the same role.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 08:54 AM | Show all posts
Aishwarya my 'Helen of Troy', says J P Dutta  

Dubai, Nov 03: For war movie veteran J P Dutta it was Aishwarya Rai who made him change the genre of his films leading to the remake of the 1981 Muzaffar Ali classic 'Umrao Jaan'.

"Aishwarya is my Helen of Troy whose face stopped me from going to war again," quipped Dutta, director of war-zone magnum opuses like 'Border' and 'LoC'.

At the premier of the film here yesterday attended by the film's stars Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya, the director said the former miss world made him change his genre when she finally consented to do the movie, he had been planning for 13 years.

On her part Aishwarya, who flew in from Mumbai after celebrating her 33rd birthday on November one, laughed off queries as to whether she would be a contender for the Oscars in future.

Asked when he and Aishwarya were getting married, Abhishek said "you tell us, since you have been telling us that since the past year."

Questioned on his being branded the "Sexiest Man in Asia", Bachchan Junior said, "it is not true, but thank you for making me feel embarrassed."

Abhishek topped the list of the "50 Sexiest Men" in Asia in a survey by Eastern Eye, Britain's most popular Asian Newspaper.

"It's shocking. Are people blind?" he had responded then.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 15-11-2006 08:56 AM | Show all posts
Umrao ki Jaan ab apke haath mein!

BY A STAFF REPORTER | Friday, November 03, 2006 11:35:13 IST
While sales of the film? ticket narrate a different tale, the success of this remake all depends on the audience

Producing remakes has become the current trend in Bollywood. Farhan? remade version of Don
did not quite live up to the audiences expectations. And now it? the turn of ?mrao Jaan? to prove its worth. J P Dutta? version of the 1981 classic by Muzaffar Ali, starring Rekha in the lead, is that of a famous courtesan.
However, after inquiring at various movie theatres in the city, it was found that Aishwarya Rai, who is playing Rekha? role is not as much of a crowd puller as Rekha proved to be. The well-timed rumours and public appearances of Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan too have not succeeded to woo Indian audiences.
None of the shows in the city are houseful even on the weekend. And current and advance booking is easily available. At Inox, Nariman Point there are seven shows of the movie and the booking started this Wednesday. Talking about the sale of tickets, Umesh Bhikchandani, the General Manager of Inox said, ?riday? bookings are just 50 per cent, while that of Saturday and Sunday is 70 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively. Not one show is houseful.?
At Cinemax theatres too, movie tickets are easily available. ?t Versova and Malad, the advance booking is just 25 per cent full, and of course current booking is available. I think the sale of tickets will pick up after the movie is released,? said Devang Sampat the General Manager of Cinemax.
At Regal, Colaba there is just one show of the movie. ?mrao Jaan will only be screened in the night show at 9.30 pm,? said Ramesh Savant, the attendant at the ticket counter. In the absence of the manager, he did not know why there was such a constrained screening of the movie. ?he best people to ask would be the distributors. However, the tickets of the movie are available throughout the weekend. Just around 30 per cent tickets have been sold so far,? said Savant.
At Liberty, Marine Lines the movie is screened for all the three shows. ?nd the tickets are available for the weekend,? said Divendra Mehta, the attendant at the ticket counter.

Some trivia about Umrao Jaan 2006

Cast
Aishwarya Rai ... Amiran/Umrao Jaan
Shabana Azmi ... Khannum Jaan
Sunil Shetty ... Faiz Ali
Abhishek Bachchan ... Nawab Sultan
Divya Dutta ... Bismillah
Himani Shivpuri ...
Kulbhushan Kharbanda ...

Music
The music is by Anu Malik and the lyrics by Javed Akhtar. The track listing is as follows
Ek Tute Huye Dil Ki - Alka Yagnik
A Foreword - by Javed Akhtar
Salaam - Alka Yagnik
Pehle Pehel - Alka Yagnik
Jhute Ilzaam - Alka Yagnik
Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Na Kijo - Richa Sharma
Main Na Mil Saku - Alka Yagnik
Bekhka Diya Humein - Alka Yagnik & Sonu Nigam
Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Na Kijo (child version) - Anmol Malik
Pooch Rahe Hai - Alka Yagnik

Trivia
Priyanka Chopra was considered to play the part of Umrao Jaan, but could not allot straight ninety dates head-to-head as she was busy with Bluffmaster (2005).
Arshad Warsi was to star in the film for role of Gauhar Mirza, but dropped out soon after as he chose to play his popular character in film Lage Raho Munna Bhai. Puru Raj Kumar replaced Warsi.
Ace choreographer Saroj Khan, was considered to do the songs? choreography but was later replaced by another popular choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant, due to some problems with director J.P. Dutta.
The shooting of the film was carried at actual locations including some palaces from Jaipur.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 08:58 AM | Show all posts
Now Aishwarya versus Rekha!
by Debasis Jana

Can Aishwarya Rai wipe out the image of Rekha as Umrao Jaan in people's mind? Well, for the answer we just need to wait a few hours now. But Rekha is not the one to lie low and see herself being stripped of the diva title by an actress her daughter's age. No, Rekha has put her heart and soul together to keep her aura intact and keep reminding people that sh's the real one.

And that has taken the form of yet another courtesan role in Goutam Ghose's ?atra'. This film also has a mujra filmed on Rekha and reportedly she has excelled in that, too. Now Rekha wasn't just satisfied with the dance looking good. She wanted to put ?atra' up against ?mrao Jaan' and so a back-to-back release of the film along with 'Umrao Jaan'. Though the tentative date so far announced is November 10, that's a week after ? 'Umrao Jaan 's release, Rekha wasn't satisfied still. She also used her magic to get the television promo released alongside Ash's ?mrao Jaan' for the audiences to get a glimpse of what's in store.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 08:59 AM | Show all posts
?hedding weights is more tough than shedding clothes,? Aishwarya!
by Debasis Jana

Now when we talk of ultra professional stars, how can we ever ignore Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan? Apparently, while shooting for ?uru', the duo had to put on kilos of weight as they're shown progressing over a span of time in the film. And towards the end they are actually supposed to look ?oly poly' though we wonder how that's possible with the svelte Ash and the brawny Abhi. That was the easy part what was really not that simple was that right after Mani's shooting schedule they had to knock off all the excess weight for ?mrao Jaan' and ?hoom 2', and suddenly the trainers, the jugging suits and weights all came out. ?t was tough!? informs Ash.

?ut to get back into shape, we just had to sweat it out in the gyms at any given opportunity. And thankfully, all the ?one' and ?orm' are back. Believe me, it's so easy to binge and put on. But working it off ?..ooof! Sometimes it seems shedding clothes is simpler than shedding weight?! What said!

Use magic Report

Post time 15-11-2006 09:05 AM | Show all posts
"I lose track of time, sleep and food when I'm working" - Aishwarya Rai  
By Subhash K. Jha, November 3, 2006 - 06:53 IST

Umrao Jaan takes you back to the elegant kotha culture. It takes an Aishwarya Rai's elegance to recreate that culture.
That's quite a compliment. I just want to thank my directors for providing me opportunities in such rare genres. It doesn? oft-come in these times. So I feel good about it. All creative people are hungry for such experiences, eager to come away enriched from doing films like Devdas, Raincoat, Umrao Jaan, Dhoom 2 and Guru. I guess I'm blessed.

I'm equipped to go back to that era of elegant dancing and old-world culture because I'm a girl very rooted to Indian culture.  
Abhishek? does his first costume drama?
Yes Umrao Jaan is his first costume drama. But I've done another beautiful costume drama earlier Devdas. If I may say so, I'm equipped to go back to that era of elegant dancing and old-world culture because I'm a girl very rooted to Indian culture. I mean, the sari is my most favourite apparel in the world. I? teased that I belong to some other era. But at the end of the day I am a contemporary woman of the world. It's cinematic experiences such as Devdas, Umrao Jaan and Guru that give me the privilege of going back to another era.

Please explain.
You know we communicate mostly in English. The Hindi we speak is hybridized . Being a South Indian, people like me and Rekhaji have worked very hard at brushing up our Hindi. But Urdu which is such a beautiful language, is totally alien to me and to most of us in Umrao Jaan, including J.P. Dutta. We were all tremendously aided by JP Saab's father O.P Dutta saab. To have a director like J.P Dutta who? perceived as a task master, was a blessing.

He's known to be a tyrant on the sets.
You think Sanjay Bhansali is any less of a tyrant on the sets? Any director who's passionate about his work will be perceived as a tyrant. Whatever the decibel at which a committed director instructs his actors, he wants his point made across. It? the teacher-pupil relationship. There're different kinds of teachers in school. I've worked with all kinds of directors from Sanjay to JP Saab to Adi Chopra to Subhash Ghai. They're all known to be passionate in their own way . Why, even Karan Johar whom I haven't worked with, is known to fly off the handle on the sets. And don? forget Mani Rathnam. My God! He's my first director (in Iruvar). And now I've worked with him again in Guru. Of course he's known to lose his cool.

But there's a story about how J.P.Dutta cut your costume in a fit of rage.
Now let? not make a mountain out of a molehill. I don't get rattled by the passionate declarations and discussions on the sets. Nothing that a conversation cannot solve. There might have been a day when JP got rattled. If he did he was very sweet about it afterwards . When you know it's nothing personal , the director's outburst is totally understandable. I'm not egoistic about these things. The entire teamon Umrao Jaan or Dhoom 2 and Guru are committed to their work. And I'm as passionate about my work as the director. You've known me very closely. You've seen how I lose track of time when I get involved with a film. Sleep, food all forgotten. We needed to not just work on our Urdu but also the body language of the time. Sometimes I'd want to go subtle while JP wanted it louder. He wanted the drama of the times to shine through . Sometimes the 'Hai Allah' needed more punctuation than I gave.

Abhishek had set aside during shooting when all of us would just crack up. Nothing could stop it.  
You're uncomfortable with the higher notes.
That's the way I am in real life. You won't find me screaming in real life or on screen. Of course I've gone through a spectrum of emotions with Sanjay Bhansali. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Devdas had high points of drama. That's where you mould your talents to every genre.

What about the fun aspect of such passionate team work?
Oh yes! I must tell you about this particular hour that Abhishek had set aside during shooting when all of us would just crack up. Nothing could stop it. Even JP was in fits of laughter. In fact he? look at the watch and say, 'It's going to happen now, right? Nothing can stop it from happening.' And then OP Saab would say, 'Children are at it again. What do I do?' The children would of course include JP. And then we'd settle down to work again.

Did you enjoy doing the Mujra in Umrao Jaan?
You know, to know to dance is one thing. But to get the finer nuances of a Mujra, down to its smothered energy and expressions of restrained poignancy, is very very difficult. Vaibhavi Merchant and I got together after Kajra re. She knows Kathak. She brought the classical element into the dances. Along with her choreography there was a huge contribution by JP Saab. After three rehearsals he? suddenly bring in changes and I'd be like, 'Okaaay.' The Mujras in Umrao Jaan required myriad expressions in one sweep. JP had a three-camera set up. He operated one of them. So I had to give different expressions into different cameras. By far this was the most challenging film for its dancing.

Vaibhavi Merchant and I got together after Kajra re. She brought the classical element into the dances. There was also a huge contribution by JP Saab.  
And Abhishek?
He was the veteran of the unit, having worked with JP twice before. Shabanaji, me we were all the babies.

Abhishek thinks Umrao is your best performance.
That's very generous of him. Me? I can't assess myself. There're films and roles that I've thoroughly enjoyed. And you know which ones they are. Because it shows in my work. Umrao Jaan is one of them.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

27-5-2024 02:01 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.310192 second(s), 41 queries .