Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 88986|Reply: 378

Interesting/Inspirational Stories, Proverb and Saying

[Copy link]
lyhmsia This user has been deleted
Post time 22-6-2004 10:32 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
Since I'm not good at explaining the Dharma. Thus, I thought I might share with you guys some zen stories.

Looking Good
A Zen abbot went dressed in rags to the door of a rich man and was turned away with an empty bowl. So he returned in his formal robe of office and was invited in and served a sumptuous meal.
Removing his robe and folding it, he placed it on front of the feast and departed with the words, "This meal is not for me; it is for the robe."

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 15-3-2005 at 03:44 AM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 10:38 AM | Show all posts
Destroying the Enemy

"How many enemies - boundless as the sky - might I destroy," wrote the Buddhist poet, Santideva. "Yet when the thought of hatred is abolished, all enemies are destroyed."
"How," asked the Buddha, "will hatred ever leave anyone who forever thinks: 'He abused me; he hit me; he lied to me; he robbed me'? There is an enduring law: hatred never ceases through hatred; hatred only ceases through love."

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 11-11-2004 at 06:41 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 10:40 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 10:38:
Destroying the Enemy

"How many enemies - boundless as the sky - might I destroy," wrote the Buddhist poet, Santideva. "Yet when the thought of hatred is abolished, all enemies ar ...

Yes, you got it from dhammapada right????

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 10:47 AM | Show all posts
Frog legs

A farmer came into town and asked the owner of a restaurant if he could use a million frog legs. The restaurant owner was shocked and asked the man where he could get so many frog legs! The farmer replied, "There is a pond near my house that is full of frogs - millions of them. They all croak all night long and they are about to make me crazy!" So the restaurant owner and the farmer made an agreement that the farmer would deliver frogs to the restaurant, five hundred at a time for the next several weeks. The first week, the farmer returned to the restaurant looking rather sheepish, with two scrawny little frogs. The restaurant owner said, "Well... where are all the frogs?" The farmer said, "I was mistaken. There were only these two frogs in the pond. But they sure were making a lot of noise!"  

Comment:
Source: http://www.chennaionline.com/society/zen.asp
Next time you hear somebody criticizing or making fun of you, remember, it's probably just a couple of noisy frogs. Also remember that problems always seem bigger in the dark. Have you ever laid in your bed at night worrying about things which seem almost overwhelming like a million frogs croaking? Chances are pretty good that when the morning comes, and you take a closer look, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 10:49 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 10:47:
Frog legs

A farmer came into town and asked the owner of a restaurant if he could use a million frog legs. The restaurant owner was shocked and asked the man where he could get so many frog leg ...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 10:49 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 22-6-2004 10:40 AM:

Yes, you got it from dhammapada right????

I got it from the internet. So, you read a lot of Buddhist books? Which temple do you belong?

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 22-6-2004 10:54 AM | Show all posts
The Turtles

A turtle family decided to go on a picnic. Turtles, being naturally slow about things, took seven years to prepare for their outing. Finally the turtle family left home looking for a suitable place. During the second year of their journey they found a place ideal for them at last! For about six months they cleaned the area, unpacked the picnic basket, and completed the arrangements. Then they discovered they had forgotten the salt. A picnic without salt would be a disaster, they all agreed. After a lengthy discussion, the youngest turtle was chosen to retrieve the salt from home. Although he was the fastest of the slow moving turtles, the little turtle whined, cried, and wobbled in his shell. He agreed to go on one condition: that no one would eat until he returned. The family consented and the little turtle left. Three years passed and the little turtle had not returned. Five years... six years...then on the seventh year of his absence, the oldest turtle could no longer contain his hunger. He announced that he was going to eat and begun to unwrap a sandwich. At that point the little turtle suddenly popped out from behind a tree shouting, "See! I knew you wouldn't wait. Now I am not going to go get the salt."

Comment:
Source: http://www.chennaionline.com/society/zen.asp
Some of us waste our time waiting for people to live up to our expectations. We are so concerned about what others are doing that we don't do anything ourselves.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 10:57 AM | Show all posts
Please do share your views about these storeis. I really love to read your comment.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-6-2004 12:30 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 10:49:

I got it from the internet. So, you read a lot of Buddhist books? Which temple do you belong?

We are buddhist, a lay one and I do not belong to any temple. I see temple, I want to go, I go in. I have patronise a few, one being the Chempaka lodge in PJ and in Penang and Melaka also been before. Nice knowing you. Can you tell about yourself a little?

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 12:30 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 10:57:
Please do share your views about these storeis. I really love to read your comment.

ok

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 12:50 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 22-6-2004 12:30 PM:

We are buddhist, a lay one and I do not belong to any temple. I see temple, I want to go, I go in. I have patronise a few, one being the Chempaka lodge in PJ and in Penang and Melaka also been  ...

I started learning more about the Dharma in America. Me and a group of friends have been doing some dharma study by oursleves and we belong to Fo Kuang Shan Temple. It's sad that a lot of people mixed up Buddhism with Taoism.

Why I like about Buddhism? Coz it teaches me to be compassionate to every living beings and the principle of middle path. Also, very practical.

Middle Path.
(My interpretation so if I'm wrong please do let me know. Thanks)
When you tune the guitar string you can't make to tight or too loose or else the sound wouldn't be smooth/nice. Hence, whatever we do we musn't be too extreme.

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 22-6-2004 at 12:51 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 12:51 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 12:50:

When you tune the guitar string you can't make to tight or too loose or else the sound wouldn't be smooth/nice. Hence, whatever we do we musn't be too extreme.

Sutta of 42 Section right???? You learned this from that sutta right???

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 12:52 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 12:50:

I started learning more about the Dharma in America. Me and a group of friends have been doing some dharma study by oursleves and we belong to Fo Kuang Shan Temple. It's sad that a lot of peopl ...

I have heard of Fo Kuang Shan. Taiwan with many branches world wide right? You are an American???

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 12:54 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 22-6-2004 12:51 PM:

No lah I learn it from Little Buddha "Movie":bgrin:

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 12:55 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 12:54:

No lah I learn it from Little Buddha "Movie":bgrin:

If you can, go find the Sutta of 42 Section. By the way, are you an American?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 01:02 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 22-6-2004 12:51 PM:

It seems like you know you sutra very well. Do you ever discuss the sutra with any master before? If not I would suggest you to seek guidance from a master since they can give us proper guidance.  You can go to Fo kuang Shan, Pure land school, etc

PURE LAND
Amitabha Buddhist Society (Malaysia)
16A, 1st. Floor, Jalan Pahang
53000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel:  (603)441-4101

Amitabha Buddhist Society (Johor)
No. 18, Jalan Sri Pelangi 1, Taman Pelangi
80400 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Tel: 07-3320172
Fax: 07-3320172

Amitabha Buddhist Society (Pontian)
10A, Jalan Bakek Jaya 2, Taman Bakek Jaya
82000 Pontian, Johor, Malaysia
Tel: (607) 686-1958

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 22-6-2004 at 01:03 PM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-6-2004 01:04 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 13:02:

It seems like you know you sutra very well. Do you ever discuss the sutra with any master before? If not I would suggest you to seek guidance from a master since they can give us proper guidanc ...

Thanks. I know there are meny societies but I have my own plans and ideas. Thanks a lot. By the way, are you an American?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 01:06 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 22-6-2004 12:52 PM:
I have heard of Fo Kuang Shan. Taiwan with many branches world wide right? You are an American???

Well, I a Malaysian.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 01:08 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 22-6-2004 13:06:

Well, I a Malaysian.

I am from Johor, you?

Use magic Report

Adm_Cheng_Ho This user has been deleted
Post time 22-6-2004 02:34 PM | Show all posts
It's sad that a lot of people mixed up Buddhism with Taoism

Unfortunately, what you're gonna learn next is that Zen is the combination of Indian Buddhism Mahayana with Chinese Taoism.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

24-4-2024 08:41 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.073235 second(s), 46 queries .