ADVERTISEMENT

1234Next
Return to list New
View: 25734|Reply: 61

Real Story behind May 1998 Riot in Indonesia

[Copy link]
Post time 17-4-2006 11:54 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
Account of Rape Victim in riots in Indonesia

"My name is Vivian, and I am 18 years old. I have a little sister and brother. As a family we live in what is supposed to be a "secure" apartment.
At 9.15 am, May 14th, 1998 a huge crowd had gathered around our apartment. They screamed, "Let's butcher the Chinese!", "Let's eat pigs!", "Let's have a party!" We live of the 7th floor and we got a call from a family on the 3rd floor saying that the crowd had reached the 2nd floor. They even chased some occupants upstairs. We were all very frightened. In our fright we prayed and left everything in God's hands.
Afterward we left our room and went upstairs to the top floor, as it was impossible to go downstairs and escape. We got to the 15th floor and stayed with some friends. Not long afterwards we were surprised because some of the crowd coming out of the elevators right before we entered the room. We hurried into the room and locked the door tightly. At that time we heard them knock at the other rooms loudly and there were some screams from women and girls. Our room was filled with fear.

We realized that they would come to us. So we spread throughout the room hiding in the corners. We could hear girls of 10 to 12 years old screaming, "Mommy, ..mommy...mom...mom...it hurts" That time I didn't know that these little girls were being raped. After about half an hour the noise diminished and we had some guts to go out and check. It was indescribable. A lot, some of them young girls, were lying on the floor. "Oh my God, what has happened?" Seeing all of this we screamed and my little sister Fenny, screamed hysterically and hugged her father.
Uncle Dodi kept trying to stop them by offering money. His efforts were fruitless. And in the end 5 people raped Fenny. Before beginning with the raping they always said "Allahu Akbar" (an Islamic phrase in Arabic meaning "God is great". They were ferocious and brutal.
Not long afterward, around 9 men came to the room and dragged me. I also saw them forcing and dragging my Aunt Vera. But at that time I passed out and everything went blank. I became conscious at around 5 or 6 PM. My head hurted and I realized I had no clothing on my body. I cried and realized my family was still there. My father was hugging my mother and little bother Doni. I also saw uncle Dodi lying on the floor and Aunt Vera was crying over his body. I felt so weak and fainted again.
The next day I was in the Pluit hospital. My father and mother were beside me. With all the pains on my body I asked, "Mom, why Fenny. Mom?" I felt a stinging pain as I said these words. My cheeks were swollen. My mother cried again and couldn't speak any words, while my father, holding back his tears, managed to smile at me. After 4 days in treatment, my condition has improved. With a sad look, my father told me then what had happened. After I fainted 7 people raped me. At that time my father still couldn't see well after being hit with a piece of wood. They raped me repeatedly. Then my father said "Vivian, Fenny is gone..."
I was confused and cried out, "Why Dad?" My father couldn't answer. He told me to rest and went out of the room. I cried over and over again, feeling that my life had no meaning any more. A week ago, after I was released from the hospital I was told everything that had happened.
When Fenny was raped she kept on fighting and so she was repeatedly slapped by her rapists. The last time she fought Fenny spitted on one of them. Offended, the man grabbed a knife and stabbed Fenny's stomach over and over again. Finally she died with blood over her whole body.
My father told me that uncle Dodi had the same fate watched by aunt Vera who was also raped. "God...why should all of this happen? Where are you God? Are you still alive?" My aunt Vera now stays with her parents. She is in shock. Her face is blank and refuses to eat. Almost every hour my mother and I cry over all these happenings. I can never forget.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 24-6-2006 03:09 PM | Show all posts
Rusuhan kaum ke??

Use magic Report

Post time 24-6-2006 09:30 PM | Show all posts
ye la kot
empunya thread ni rajin ek paste info dr indon ......
cuma ada ke empunya thread nie bg feedback ....
yer la bg discussion more interesting ..........

Use magic Report

Post time 24-6-2006 09:52 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by fly_in_d_sky at 24-6-2006 09:30 PM
ye la kot
empunya thread ni rajin ek paste info dr indon ......
cuma ada ke empunya thread nie bg feedback ....
yer la bg discussion more interesting ..........

empunya thread ni orang Indon la.kekadang aku tak faham apa dia tulis..dan aku bajet mesti dia banyak tak faham apa yg kita tulis.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-6-2006 11:12 PM | Show all posts

pening nyerh nak bace ....~

Use magic Report

Post time 25-6-2006 10:22 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by DEWAPERANG at 24-6-2006 09:52 PM

empunya thread ni orang Indon la.kekadang aku tak faham apa dia tulis..dan aku bajet mesti dia banyak tak faham apa yg kita tulis.

hmm susah la cam nie
kdg2 artikel yg dia paste nie
dlm bahasa indon .... susah nak faham .......

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 26-6-2006 07:14 AM | Show all posts
sungguh ke cerita ni? berlaku di daerah mana ni?

Use magic Report

nal This user has been deleted
Post time 27-6-2006 10:12 AM | Show all posts
Cerita yang banyak kemusykilan

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-6-2006 04:50 PM | Show all posts
ini kes betul lah. baru lagi, masa ekonomi asia jatuh. ada gak yg kata taktik sama utk jatuhkan suharto mcm kat malaysia masa 13 mei nak jatuhkan tunku. logik tu. modus operandi pun menarik.

1. rupiah collapsed, barang naik harga
2. rusuhan student
3. 4 student kena tembak
4. second wave of demo, tiba2 cina jadi scapegoat

human right commision indon (suhakam versi indon) punya report cakap, second demo tu taiko dia "well built and had short cropped hair" and "was a repeat of the Malari riots of 1974". tapi tak de lah cakap military. paham2 la.

link report tu sini

http://www.ahrchk.net/statements/mainfile.php/2003statement/87/

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 28-6-2006 01:24 AM | Show all posts
Emow Emow Emow...
riot yang tak munasabah ler seakan-akan 13 Mei...nape tuang punya thread tak bagi komen apa²?

Use magic Report

Doc. This user has been deleted
Post time 2-7-2006 11:31 AM | Show all posts
Macam peristiwa 'Rape of Nanking'.
Sedih hal macam ni masih boleh berlaku lagi.

Use magic Report

Post time 2-7-2006 02:54 PM | Show all posts

Salam

Semasa I bercuti di Indonesia Mei lalu, ada my professor wife informed bhw tarikh 14 Mei itu lebih kurang peristiwa 13 Mei Malaysia.

Tapi beliau tak cerita pula apa punca berlakunya peristiwa tersebut.

Use magic Report

Post time 6-7-2006 09:45 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Dutch-Lady at 17-4-2006 10:54 AM
Account of Rape Victim in riots in Indonesia

"My name is Vivian, and I am 18 years old. I have a little sister and brother. As a family we live in what is supposed to be a "secure&quo ...

Saya ada te tengok gambar kesan rusuhan itu, bukan wanita cina saja yang dianiaya malah wanita peribumi
pun mengalami nasib yang sama, jangan kata kaum cina diindonesia dianiaya, kalaulah mereka dianiaya
kenapa mereka masih lagi sanggup berada dan berurus niaga diindonesia? secara logiknya kalaulah tempat tu
orang sudah benci kita buat apa kita duduk disana lagi, contohnya berbunuhan beramai-ramai kaum madura
disanbas(taksilap saya) kalimantan oleh suku dayak dan melayu, kenapa cerita ni tidak disiarkan dan dibesar-besarkan?
gambarnya pun saya ada dimana seorang budak kecil dipancung kepalanya, bukankan itu lebih kejam
dari yang ditimpa oleh kaum cina, mereka suku  madura telah dihalau keluar dari sanbas dan jangan kembali lagi
ke situ, kenapa hak asasi manusia tak pandang masaalah yang ditanggung oleh suku madura ni,
ini bermakna kumpulan hak asasi manusia berlaku tidak adil terhadap suku madura ini.
Itu belum cerita lagi keganasan kaum krisitan keatas umat islam di maluku, dimana beribu-ribu umat islam
dibunuh dipulau halmahera, kita tengok sendiri video mengambarkan masjid dibakar berserta berpuluh-puluh
perempuan dan kanak-kanak didalamnya mayat mereka ditanam didalam satu kubur besar ditolak menggunakan
jentolak(backhoe) saja, itu pun hak asasi manusia senyap,
kalau betul kita ikhlas nak bercerita pasal kekejaman kena cerita secara adil jangan ambil berat satu pihak disatu pihak
lagi kita tutup mata saja. bagi saya apa yang menimpa pada kaum cina itu mungkin agak teruk tapi tidak seteruk
menimpa oleh suku acheh, suku madura disanbas dan umat islam di maluku.
pernah dengar cerita dimaluku anak gadis ditangkap dan dirogol selepas tu perutnya dibelah dan dimasukan
anak anjing kedalamnya. kenaap takde agensi antarabangsa nak iktiraf keganasan dimaluku, sebaliknya president
indonesia masa tu megawati kata ini urusan dalaman dan tiada masaalah dimaluku, apa cerita ni,
saya tengok sendiri banyak CD-CD pasal maluku ni......i

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 10-7-2006 09:36 PM | Show all posts
saya berpendapat.. pengakuan diatas seolah olah satu fitnah kepada islam.
merogol sambil bertakbir. orang islam yang sejahat mana sekalipun takkan berbuat begitu. jika ada pun mungkin bekas bekas orang islam yang telah murtad atau orang bukan islam yang cuba menarik perhatian dunia agar islam diburuk burukan.

its so obvious.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2006 12:03 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by benign at 10-7-2006 08:36 PM
saya berpendapat.. pengakuan diatas seolah olah satu fitnah kepada islam.
merogol sambil bertakbir. orang islam yang sejahat mana sekalipun takkan berbuat begitu. jika ada pun mungkin bekas bekas  ...

sebab tu aku cakap kalaulah cina indonesia dianiaya sebegini teruk adalah mustahil mereka nak
berada lagi diindonesia, apa yang digambarkan seperti pembersihan etnik kalaulah ada pembersihan etnik
mesti ada masyarakat cina antarabangsa akan menuntut diadakan pasukan keamanan PBB,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2006 10:49 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by jerai at 11-7-2006 12:03 PM

sebab tu aku cakap kalaulah cina indonesia dianiaya sebegini teruk adalah mustahil mereka nak
berada lagi diindonesia, apa yang digambarkan seperti pembersihan etnik kalaulah ada pembersih ...

Yup spt Di Solomon ISland yg baru2 ini tjd dan itu sdh dilakukan oleh Pasukan Australia

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-7-2006 10:03 AM | Show all posts
bagi saya apa yang berlaku di maluku ,sanbas dan acheh pun salah satu dari pembersihan etnik,
cuma apabila suku atau kaum yang berada disana bukan mempunyai kepentingan  bagi politik
diantarabangsa jadi nasib mereka dilupakan...............
begitu

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-7-2006 05:03 PM | Show all posts
The Marines: Real Story behind May 1998 Riot

Back in May 98, when Jakarta was literally burning,the Navy Chief of Staff,
Adm. Arief Kushariadi, was on his way for some pre-scheduled trip using the
Navy helicopter. As he was flying over Jakarta, he could not help noticing
the movement of rioters on the ground and the fires they started. He was amazed that he could not see any sizeable force of security personnel to oppose the rampaging rioters. He assessed the situation that strategic places such as the presidential palace had not been completely secured by sizeable military units visible from the air.

Being in a separate chain of command (thus he had no control of any Army or
Police units), and thinking that Jakarta was in danger, he immediately contacted the Commander of Marines 2nd Infantry Brigade based in Cilandak, Jakarta. Adm. Kushariadi inquired of available forces that the 2nd Marine Brigade could move at that instant. To his surprise, the Brigade commander replied that he had none. All of his available forces had been BKO-ed to KODAM Jaya and they were already fielded when Adm.Kushariadi reached him over the radio. This even include all combat support personnel, artilery and cavalry. The marines had a battalion of cavalry (amphibious PT-76 tanks and BTR-50 amphibious Armored Personnel Vehicle) in Cilandak. However, they remained in their base with nobody left to operate them.

Unbeknownst to the Admiral, the Marines based in Cilandak Jakarta had been
involved in a plot engineered by Prabowo and his clicks. Prabowo had realized that the Marines was the only military unit that was able to contest his Kopassus in combat. He happens to be a good friend of Maj. Gen. Suharto, the Marine Corps Commandant at the time, when they shared quarters during SESKOGAB in Bandung a few years before. When Prabowo was in charge of Kopassus, he tried to bring the two corps closer together. Having almost unlimited source of funding (thanks to the support he enjoyed from Cendana), Prabowo not only beefed up his Kopassus but he also sent some contributions to the Marines, commanded then by his old roommate, Maj. Gen. Suharto. After living as a step son for more than three decades, the Marines received Prabowo contribution with a warm feeling. However, Maj. Gen. Suharto was aware of some moves from Prabowo that might follow the contributions.

It did come in 1997, when Prabowo proposed "to better integrate" Kopassus
and the Marine corps. How ? By interchanging personnel between the two
Corps. He wanted to have some Kopassus men in every Marine Unit and to be
part of the unit during the operation. Maj. Gen.Suharto flatly refused this proposal. Politely, he explained to Prabowo that the Marine has a different doctrine from its counterparts in Kopassus. The Indonesian Marine (owing to much similarities to the USMC) follow the doctrine as a professional combat unit. They never did nor wish to ever raise their weapons against their own coutrymen. The marines subscribes to a frontal type combat style where the objective is as clearly defined as the identity of the enemy. When the Marines are landing on the beach, they must assume that the beach was part of Indonesian soil invaded by some foreign enemies. So "mendarat dan menang" just simply does not apply to the Indonesian Army doctrines.

Knowing that he could not influence the neutrality and professionalism of
the Marines, Prabowo decided that he should at least tied up all available
Marine Units in Jakarta area when his troops were to secure power from then
defunct government of President Suharto. He was able to do this because Maj.
Gen. Sjafrie Samsoeddin, the Commanding General of Kodam Jaya, was his old
friend from the Academy and part of his group. Samsoeddin cleverly ordered
the marines to stand guard at some less important locations far away from the area being destroyed by rampaging rioters.

Now, back to Adm. Kushariadi. Realizing that there was no effective military unit to protect the Jakarta, the prudent Admiral immediately raised the Commander of the Marines 1st Infantry Brigade based in Karang Pilang, Surabaya. Kushariadi ordered Surabaya to get ready one full infantry battalion equipped for combat deployment (they did not have extensive PHH equipments). He also ordered Surabaya to get ready all available tank and panzer crews. Using all available planes belonging to the Navy fleet air arm (including the Nomad & CASA 212), the admiral instructed the marine battalion & its combat equipment to be flown in to Jakarta at all possible speed. As you may have suspected, the Navy did not
possess planes with heavy load capacity, it took the small navy planes several
sorties between Jakarta-Surabaya to finally air lifted the entire marine battalion to Halim Perdanakusuma air base in Jakarta.

As soon as the Surabaya marine battalion landed in Jakarta, Adm. Kushariadi
ordered the infantrymen to secure strategic locations including the Presidential Palace area. The cavalry crew from Surabaya immediately started and manned all available tanks and panzers still sitting in their hangars in Cilandak. These tanks were then rolling into Jakarta street to join the marine infantry already in location.

Adm. Kushariadi thought he had saved the city from total mayhem. Well, he
did, but unbeknownst to him, his action also foiled two opposing groups that
were just getting ready to launch a coup: Wiranto's group facing Prabowo's
group. Both Wiranto and Prabowo were cooking their own coup scenario. The
situation in Jakarta was intentionally brewed to allow the deployment of
combat troops in Jakarta using the riots as an excuse. While Wiranto and
Prabowo were cooking up strategy to beat their opponents, they forgot to take into account the x-factor such as Adm.Kushariadi, who was totally outside the plot and unaware of the coup plans from either side.

So, now Jakarta is in chaos, the army troops from both factions are ready.
But the arrival of a marine battalion from Surabaya, now supported with
tanks , (note that the marine tanks are better armored and more heavily
armed than those wheeled cavalry units fielded by Kodam Jaya) had rendered
both Wiranto & Prabowo's plan unexecutable without serious consequences. If either Wiranto or Prabowo kept pressing forward with their coup plan, then they will not only face the other army faction but also a battalion of marines from Surabaya. Also, as soon as the three marine infantry battalions from Cilandak, which were BKO-ed to KODAM, realized that their brothers from Surabaya were here and there is a coup attempt in progress, then the full Infantry Brigades would retract themselves from under the control of KODAM Jaya and rejoined their original unit. Even under BKO, all marine field commanders would certainly put the order coming from their Chief of Staff (Adm. Kushariadi)and their own Brigade Commander much higher than orders coming from KODAM Commanding General, Maj. Gen. Safrie Shamsoeddin. Therefore, whoever wanted to press forward with their coup plan, they will have to face the entire Marine 2nd Infantry Brigade with an additional extra battalion from Surabaya. That is more than 4000 professional and very well trained combat troops complete with their artilery and cavalry.

Some inside sources indicate that Wiranto replaced ADM. Kushariadi a few
months after the May Incidents because of what the Admiral did to save
Jakarta. Regardless of the outcome and consequences of his actions, Adm.
Kushariadi, the Marines, and the Indonesian Navy as a whole, had again made
their selfless contribution to the survival of the Republic. But as usual, the Navy remained unnamed in the history pages of Indonesia. However, the people of Indonesia had witnessed how their marines display a true sense of military professionalism in the handling on various public unrest which culminated in the Semanggi Incident in November 1998. If only the people of Indonesia could find out the truth about May 1998 and the unparalleled role played by their Marines and Navy in the recent struggle of their country ...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-7-2006 05:04 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-7-2006 05:05 PM | Show all posts
BOSTON - 1,000 rally against violence in Indonesia
Chinese-Americans march in Boston, other cities to protest ethnic attacks

By Abby Fung, Boston Globe Correspondent, 08/09/98

Seeking to draw attention to the plight of persecuted ethnic Chinese in
Indonesia, a group of protesters marched yesterday from Chinatown to
the Holocaust Memorial near Quincy Market.

The demonstrators, estimated by Boston police to number 1,000,
chanted ``Stop the violence,'' ``We want justice,'' and ``Human rights
now.'' They called upon the United States and Indonesian governments
to take action while waving large banners, and carrying black balloons,
all of which attracted attention from curious passersby during the
hour-long march.

Rally participant Renne Lu, former president of the Greater Boston
Chinese Cultural Association, said similar protests took place in Los
Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C., New York, and Australia
yesterday as Chinese-Americans and their supporters lobbied
Indonesian consulates and American politicians to end atrocities against
the ethnic Chinese and to punish those responsible.

Rally organizers say ethnic Chinese, who comprise only a small minority
of Indonesia's population, own many of the country's businesses and
``dominate the Indonesian economy.'' This prompted a two-day riot in
the capital of Jakarta in May, organizers say, in which 1,188 people
were killed, 168 ethnic Chinese women and children raped, and
thousands of homes and businesses burned and looted.

One man, who requested anonymity because he still has family members
in Indonesia, said he fled the country in 1965 to escape persecution of
ethnic Chinese. ``Thirty years later, I see this happening again. But this
time, it's even worse. They rape and kill women and children,'' he said.

Jianming Ruan, 28, a computer programmer from China who now lives
in Arlington, said he participated in the march because ``China and
Taiwan don't have a strong enough position, so it's up to us overseas
Chinese [to protest].''

For younger Chinese-Americans, the march was a chance to exercise
democracy while taking pride in their heritage. ``We cannot tolerate
these criminal actions,'' said Allan Zhou of Somerville. ``Although I live
here, go to school here, and work here, I am still Chinese, [and] I want
to bring these people to justice.''

Michael Liu, 15, of Newton, added, ``I never thought the Chinese
community could do this. I've never seen anything like this before.''

The protest also drew support from local chapters of the National
Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the National
Organization for Women, Boston city councilors, and the son of a
Holocaust survivor.

State Senator Lois G. Pines, a Newton Democrat who is running for
attorney general, said, ``We are outraged at the rape of children in Asia.
It is our duty to speak out and take action.''

Leonard C. Alkins, president of the Boston NAACP, added, ``We
must stand up any time and every time human rights are violated in any
country.''

This story ran on page B03 of the Boston Globe on 08/09/98.

Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

24-4-2024 09:18 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.953200 second(s), 47 queries .