CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 21836|Reply: 185

THE CHARM BENEATH

[Copy link]
Post time 3-6-2008 10:36 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
xde sesape ker tgk citer nih..besh gk..pasal konflik keluarga..memule ingat boring..makin tgk..makin besh plak

Detail
  • Title: 胭脂水粉
  • Cantonese/Mandarin title: Yin Zhi Sui Fun / Yan Zhi Shui Fen
  • English title: The Charm Beneath
  • Episodes: 30
  • Broadcast network: TVB
  • Broadcast period: 2005-Oct-17 to 2005-Nov-25
  • Air time: 20:00 to 21:00
  • Genre: 1920's - 1930's costume
  • Themesong: Scratched Mirror (鏡花) by Gigi Lai

Synopsis

The Chuk Family has been managing the lucrative family business ofcosmetics Halle de Fleur (Geng Fa Tong) for over 30 years. However,there has been constant conflicts in the family because of the greedyand insidious natures of the Second Uncle and Second Auntie. They havebeen constantly plotting just to inherit the family business. Hence,constant verbal fights and physical tussles ensued.

Cast

[ Last edited by  utopiangelle at 25-6-2008 08:43 PM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-6-2008 10:39 PM | Show all posts
* reviewed by tvbsquare
# of episodes: 30

Main Characters
MosesChan, Gigi Lai, Yoyo Mung, Anne Heung, Kiki Sheung, Mandy Cho, ChanHung Lit, Sharon Chan, Tseung Chi Kwong, Ngo Ka Nin, Michael Tong, LeeKwok Lun
What, when, where and who
Thestory sets in the 20's-30's in Hong Kong. It is about the Chuk family,who is really rich and well known by making its own cosmetic products.The head of the family is Chan Hung Lit, who has four kids: Tseung WaiKuen (first son), Moses Chan (second son), Gigi Lai (third daughter)and Mandy Cho (fourth daughter). The family business was reallysuccessful, which draws a lot of enemies, including Chan Hung Lit'sbrother Lee Kwok Lun, who always wants to take over the familybusiness. Kiki Sheung plays Lee Kwok Lun's wife, both of them weretrying very hard to take control of everything. Kiki always makesarguments with Gigi, and trying to make everyone else look bad.
YoyoMung, her brother and her mother all lived with the Chuk family. Yoyoand Moses grew up together, as well as helping each other throughoutmany things. However, Moses met Sharon Chan, and almost married her.The love relationship gets complicated as Sharon was disappeared.Meanwhile, Anne Heung, who became a widow after Tseung Wai Kuen'sdeath, get to live with the Chuk family, however, she always thinks theentire family has something against her...
Theentire Chuk family went through lots of ups and downs, especially afterMoses' father passed away, Lee Kwok Lun and Kiki began to take control,however their strategy wasn't successful. When Moses finally tookcontrol, many other things went wrong, and surprised, everyonediscovered the true reason behind Sharon's disappearance..

THE FACTORS
- Love Factor

The Unexpected Charm
BeforeI watched the series, I was only interested in the time period, the20's and 30's story were always my favorite type of stories. So, when Ibegan to watch the series, I wasn't trying to get too much expectationfrom it. Even after watching the first couple episodes, I almost wantedto give up watching it, because of the slow movement of its beginnings.However, I continued watching it, and the more I watched, the more Iwas dragged into the performances, the story, and the shockingcharacters!
The beginning of the serieswas slow, indeed. Too slow, which makes you want to fall asleep. Plus,all the flashbacks, you can totally skip through those. However, a slowstart is actually a great fit for this series, because I think theentire series needs to develop slowly, that way the audiences (like me)will be dragged into it without even realizing it. Then, the mainswitch point of the show comes along, which was Sharon's appearance,the way her character changed all the sudden, the way her characterdisappeared all the sudden, which makes the audiences want to know whathappened. But, the story soon switched focus, and makes you think theproducer has forgotten about Sharon.... The switching focus was reallygreat, adding those many death factors... By the time, I passed episode25, I just realized how much I enjoyed the series. Even though themovement of the story doesn't go that much faster, but my intereststoward the show was getting greater... When I finally finished theseries, I wanted to name it my favorite series of the year, I am notkidding! If they cut all those flashbacks...
Yoyo Mung
Ifyou read my Burning Flame 2 and Split Seconds reviews, you can see howmuch I disliked Yoyo. But, guess what? I am listing her in my lovefactor for this series, and for sure, she is one of my most favoritecharacter of the entire year! It is so true that love and hate is justa single line in between. Yoyo's character shines the entire series, Iwas surprised to find her character interesting, and loveable. Thewhole reason I didn't give up watching the series was because of Yoyo!The way she treats Moses was amazing, I totally love their chemistry.Yoyo's character was so nice, so kind, so strong and so special, she iswilling to stand up to support Moses no matter what. I also think Yoyodid great performances, you will like her from the beginning to the end.
Gigi Lai
Iam not too crazy about Gigi's character, because Yoyo's character wasmy favorite. But, it is Gigi's performance, that tops everything. Gigisurely can cry well, her tears come out easily. I love the part whenshe took control of the family operations, and she makes Kiki looksbad. I love the part when she talked to her father, and the two finallyaccepted each other (that part was so emotional). I love the part whenher husband was in coma, and she realized she misunderstood him. I lovethe part when she yells at Anne, and trying to tell everyone aboutAnne's real identity. Gigi's performances were just so great...
Anne Heung's CHARACTER's existence
OK,I didn't care too much about Anne Heung's performances, I don't likeAnne's character either, but I just love the fact that this characterexists in the story! Am I sounding strange? From the beginning, I thinkher character is totally useless, she didn't do much at all. I almostwant to question the producer, why does she even exist? Then, whenSharon appeared, I began to suspect her, however, I soon gave upsuspecting her, because the story switched focus. So, I don't evenfocus too much attention on her. Then, episode 25 comes along, and allthe sudden, everything just makes sense. A totally useless person isnot useless after all. A person who doesn't do anything actually doeseverything behind. A person we think is so pitiful, so nice, actuallyshe was so insane, so evil inside...
Ngo Ka Nin - Kik's son
Sometimes,the smallest character can make the biggest impact. Ngo Ka Nin alwaysplay small roles in TVB series, and it is not easy to remember hisroles. However, in this series, you just can not forget him! As a son,he is so good to his evil parents; as a friend, he treats Moses as atrue brother; as a good man, he knows what's right and what's wrong.From the beginning, I thought he might turn evil, because his parentsare so bad. However, I was wrong. Ngo Ka Nin's character is way tookind. Especially when he found out the bad things his parents did, hewasn't sure how to face it. He told Moses the truth, and thenapologized to his evil parents! How sweet this kid is! This trulyproves that evil people can have good kids. However, a good kid likehim, will end up dying... Blame on his parents, who don't deserve tohave a great son like him.
The Death Factors (I recommend you to read this part after you finish watching the series)
Finally!!!!This year, we got a series with MANY deaths! (I am not counting HealingHands 3). And, each death factor was important. The most pitiful one isMoses' father, he had the chance to make up to his kids, but hisbrother is just too evil and he just couldn't take it anymore... It wasalso the saddest death factor of the series. The most shocking one wasMichael Tong, I really didn't want him to die! But, when Anne walksinto his room, I just knew he won't live long. sigh... The mostexpected one is Anne's husband of course, if he doesn't die, Anne won'tgo crazy. Another expected one was Kiki's son: Ngo Ka Nin. He has todie because his parents are too evil. The one dies too fast is AnneHeung, how can she just tells everyone every bad things she did, andthen, jumps into a river? That is way too fast!

[ Last edited by  utopiangelle at 3-6-2008 10:43 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2008 10:39 PM | Show all posts
continue..

- Dislike Factor
Flashbacks, flashbacks, stop the flashbacks!
IsTVB series trying to learn from Korean series? Getting too muchflashbacks is not a great thing to learn from! Especially for a slowseries like this! I already saw those moments, don't need to remind meagain and again and again! So, stop the flashbacks! If the producer cansimple cut the flashbacks, I will love this series to death!
When Story Happens Too Slow, When Love Happens Too Fast, When Anne Goes Too Fast
Thestory is slow indeed, but I like the way it is, like I said above, Iwas dragged into it even though everything happens so slow. However,when everything happens slow, shouldn't you think the love relationshipshould happen slow as well? But, not really in this case, I think theSharon-Moses, Mandy-Michael relationships should last little longer.Also, I didn't think the ending was rushing, but everything aboutAnne's ending was too fast. Keep the same speed, that's all I amasking...

- Chemistry Factor
Moses Chan & Yoyo Mung
Surprisingchemistry and amazing one. I began to love their chemistry ever sincethe beginning, I like the way they argue with each other, and how Mosescalls her as "don't give up easily". Also, I love the part when theythought they like each other, and trying to convince each other thatthey are not good for each other. That was a funny part. But, actually,they meant so much to each other, and it takes them long to realizethat. I especially love the part when Moses was in trouble, Yoyo wasalways there to protect him and help him. She is even willing to useher life to save him.
Moses Chan & Sharon Chan
They fall in love too fast, and I do pity Sharon, however, Moses and Yoyo is the best fit.
Gigi Lai & her husband Tseung Chi Kwong
Ididn't think they match at all at the beginning. Gigi's husband is veryuseless, but he is very warm, and care very much about Gigi. Theirchemistry also develops well even though they already married. The partwhen Gigi's husband was in coma brought me to tears, and I realized Ido like this couple.
Chan Hung Lit's entire family
Thereis enemy, there is love, there is hate, but there is... family. Iespecially loves Chan Hung Lit and Gigi's relationship as father anddaughter. Chan Hung Lit didn't like Gigi too much because he thoughtGigi was not his real daughter. But, he wants to treat her good becausehe thinks Gigi might be his real daughter. He was struggled, that's whyhe treats Gigi good and bad from time to time. However, he realized hewas wrong, and finally accepts Gigi no matter she is his real daughteror not. It was so emotional to see how he accepted Gigi. But, too badhe has to die soon after that.

- How Come Factor
Moses Chan & Yoyo Mung
IsYoyo and Moses cousins?!!!! Yoyo's mother and Moses' mother aresisters, am I right? That means they are related.. Is it normal to havecousins marrying each other?
Sharon Chan
Whydidn't Sharon just go to the police, why she can't ask Moses for help,instead, she listens to that evil guy time after time...

THE COMMENTS
- The Performances

Amazingperformances from everyone (other than Mandy and Anne, they still haverooms to improve). The best performance goes to Gigi Lai, and specialmention to Yoyo Mung. I like them very much in the series. As for male,Moses did great, but his father, Chan Hung Lit was awesome. Anyways, Ialso enjoyed the performances from the villain, Kiki! She is amazing asa villain, great actress!
- The Story
Ihave to say it is one of the best story in 2005. Yes, it is slow, yes,it takes 30 episodes to finish when the producer can cut it to 25. But,I just love the story, maybe it meant to be that slow, maybe it meantto have flashbacks, because some of us might skip through the plot.Well, if you plan to skip, just skip the flashbacks, and pay attentionto everything else.
- Worth Watching?
Iam recommending this series to all of you. You will find it veryinteresting, especially towards the end. A good series doesn't need tostart out good, as long as it ends awesome.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2008 10:44 PM | Show all posts
Theme Songs

Opening-Gigi Lai
Ending-Moses Chan

The Charm Baneath Opening

The Charm Beneath Promo

[ Last edited by  utopiangelle at 4-6-2008 01:40 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2008 10:47 PM | Show all posts
aku tengok 1 ep je ....

tak berapa nak suka kat yoyo tu ..... + dah jemu ngan tema family backstabbing eachother HK style ....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2008 10:54 PM | Show all posts

Reply #5 kayla's post

aku pon memule rase boring ep 1 tuh..tp teruskan tgk gak..pastu terus melekat..heheh

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 3-6-2008 11:05 PM | Show all posts
random pics..
credit to AF

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2008 11:13 PM | Show all posts
Gigi Lai

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-6-2008 11:23 PM | Show all posts
random caps..

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 12:35 AM | Show all posts

Reply #1 utopiangelle's post

suka tgk yg jadi hero tuh berlakon

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-6-2008 01:41 AM | Show all posts

Reply #10 Eddlisa_uyuk's post

aah suke gk tgk..besh plak die berlakon

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-6-2008 02:08 AM | Show all posts

credit to AF

[ Last edited by  utopiangelle at 4-6-2008 02:20 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 09:25 AM | Show all posts
aku pon tak pernah miss tgk citer ni
cume tak tgk ep1 sbb tak tau bila stat

citer HK memang kegemaran aku sejak kecik
kalo ade watak jahat tu memang terasa jahat sgtla
aku menyampah tol ngan pak&mak ngah dia
keluarga sendri pon sanggup diorg hancurkan

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 10:48 AM | Show all posts

Reply #13 xcalibur07's post

terbalik la kite..
sy tgk cite ni ep 1 tp pastu tak tertgk2 dah (adik conquer tv wahaha XD)

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 11:00 AM | Show all posts
Aku rindu ngan drama HK nie, dah lama tak tgk, sebab sejak TV3 dah ubah time .............

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 11:00 AM | Show all posts

Reply #14 emiko's post

tu yg best jadi adik tu

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 4-6-2008 11:01 AM | Show all posts
Semua pelakon yg hebat2 terutamnyer Moses Aku tu..............rindukat dia...

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 11:04 AM | Show all posts

Reply #15 limau's post

time same cume dah ubah stesen tv
dolu tv3 skarg ntv7 tp stay kol 6 cam dolu

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 11:08 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by xcalibur07 at 4-6-2008 11:04 AM
time same cume dah ubah stesen tv
dolu tv3 skarg ntv7 tp stay kol 6 cam dolu

mmg, tp sekarang dah bertembung ngan drama Soleha pulak.........
dpt tgk sekerat2 lah..

Use magic Report

Post time 4-6-2008 11:17 AM | Show all posts
Moses ni berlakon dlm citer RATING TERTINGGI DI HK 2007 IAITU HEART OF GREED. Coming soon to astro wah lai toi hujung bulan ni....... Moses mmg pandai berlakon...... dia pun dah banyk TVB drama yg dia act.....

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 03:17 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.086784 second(s), 45 queries .