Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2011

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 15-5-2009 10:00 PM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

Can Gianna Jun succeed overseas?

"My Sassy Girl" heroine Gianna Jun (her Korean name is Jun Ji-hyun) comes back on screen with her first international action movie "Blood," which will be released on June 11 in Korea. In the movie, Jun plays the role of "Saya," a human-vampire hybrid who hunts vampires for food. Playing "Saya" is ground breaking for Jun as an actress for the fact that she has never performed in an action movie. Wielding katana and hanging from a wire were new experiences for her.

Speaking at a news conference on May 12 in Seoul, she explained that she chose a hardcore action movie as her international movie debut in an apparent desire to analyze herself as an actress. She said, "I valued the new venture to debut as an action star in overseas markets and I thought that I must challenge myself."

Working with foreign staff was not an easy task because the language barrier was a new challenge. "I remember the first shooting very vividly. I could only perform two lines of the script, and I couldn't understand what the producers wanted from me," Jun said. While Jun took the first step into the overseas movie market, there were mixed reactions to her chances of becoming a Hollywood movie star through "Blood."

Caroline, 23, who works in the fashion industry in New York City, doubts Jun's chances of success in the tough U.S. film industry. "My first question is can she speak English properly?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 15-5-2009 10:18 PM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

Shin Seung-hun Proves Profitable Abroad  

Shin Seung-hun

Korean pop singer Shin Seung-hun is expected to earn over W10 billion in the first half of this year from releasing albums and holding concerts in Japan (US$1=W1,265).

His agency said Thursday that his album "Acoustic Wave" has sold more than 100,000 copies since it was released in March in Japan, earning W4 billion. Tickets for his tour concerts in five Japanese cities -- Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya, Saitama, and Tokyo -- sold out on the first day of sale, adding W4.5 billion in the singer抯 earnings, it added.

The concerts in Japan will start Shin's Asian tour that will extend through the second half of this year, taking in Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 12:36 AM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

'Boys Over Flowers' star to debut film at PiFan

Koo Hye-sun

Koo Hye-sun抯 debut film has been chosen to screen at this year抯 13th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival.

She is among 35 Korean filmmakers chosen to screen short films at the festival in Bucheon, Gyeonggi.

The actress, who recently starred as Geum Jan-di in KBS-2 TV抯 drama 揃oys Over Flowers,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 12:37 AM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

10 Korean films to screen at this year抯 Cannes fest

Ten Korean films will screen at this year抯 Cannes Film Festival, which kicked off Wednesday.

But it is Park Chan-wook抯 揟hirst

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 12:52 AM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

Summer movie preview

Top: Drag Me to Hell/Mother/Memento Mori 5
Middle: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra/Terminator: Salvation/Angels and Demons
Bottom: Public Enemies/Transformers 2: The Revenge of the Falle/Halloween

With the long sweltering summer season ahead, those wanting to seek refuge from the blistering heat and humidity will undoubtedly seek solace in the safe air-conditioned confines of their local multiplex.

What they are likely to watch are sequels of big-time franchises in the same vein as "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," a Marvel-based comic book film which pulled in over $70 million in its opening weekend at the North American box office.

Despite highly unfavorable reviews, the film performed well above early projections. Tracing back the roots of Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), the prequel came into the Korean box office behind the hotly anticipated Park Chan-wook vampire noir "Thirst," which opened at top spot. But steep weekly declines are projected for "Wolverine" as is expected with other summer films that open big but wane quickly from audience's attention.

This year's roster of summer fare includes continuing sagas about robots ("Transformers 2: The Revenge of the Fallen," "Terminator: Salvation"), museums ("A Night at the Museum 2"), teenaged wizards ("Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince"), and Muay Thai acrobats ("Ong Bak 2").

Joining in on the quest for box office bounty will be new entries its studios hope will become new franchises. A pair of high profile titles this summer and another in November will feature Korean actors in both supporting and leading roles.

Rain will headline the James McTiegue-helmed "Ninja Assassin," set for a November release, Jun Ji-hyun will be the lead in "Blood," and Hallyu-star Lee Byung-hun will have a supporting role as a Ninja assassin in "G.I. Joe."

For more refined and less casual moviegoers, the 2009 summer season will be one to look forward to as veteran auteur and visual maestro Michael Mann goes back to what he does best with the epic crime saga "Public Enemies."

"Spider Man" and "Evil Dead" series director Sam Raimi will also go back to his roots by revisiting the horror genre with the bluntly-titled "Drag Me to Hell," while pulp genre extraordinaire Quentin Tarantino will be back in the game with the World War 2-based film, "Inglourious Basterds," about Nazi-hunting Jews gone wild.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 12:53 AM | Show all posts
Following is an overview of what's in store for moviegoers wanting to escape the heat with the aid and magic of the movies -- at least for about two hours.

'Halloween' (In theaters now)

In Rob Zombie's reboot of John Carpenter's genre-defining 1978 original, Mike Meyers's childhood plays out in a way that sheds light on his traumatic domestic life. The young Meyers is chillingly played by newcomer Daeg Faerch -- some might remember him in last summer's hit "Hancock" as the snobby French kid -- and Malcolm McDowell ("A Clockwork Orange") take up the role of Dr. Sam Loomis.

While Carpenter's original contained more slashing than psychoanalysis, director Zombie delves into Freudian territory by focusing on the makings of a future psychopathic serial killer.

'Angels and Demons' (In theaters now)

In this follow-up to Dan Brown's global phenomenon "The Da Vinci Code," Tom Hanks reprises his role as Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon. Ron Howard returns to direct the film, produced by the box office hit-making team of Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, and John Calley.

The story revolves around the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati or as described in the film, "the most powerful underground organization in history." Called on by the Vatican for help, Langdon faces a deadly threat to the existence of the secret organization's most despised enemy: the Catholic Church.

'Terminator: Salvation' (Opening May 21)

As of now, the eponymous character in the Terminator saga is like the Energizer Bunny: it keeps going and going and going. In the fourth installment of the long-running 25-year-old franchise, the story jumps ahead to 2018 in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. The human resistance led by John Connor (Christian Bale), sporting his default scowl from the Nolan-era Batman franchise, is in fierce battle with SkyNet and its army of Terminators. Connor and another mysterious figure named Marcus Wright embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of SkyNet's operations.

'Mother' (Opening May 28)

In one of the most anticipated domestic summer releases of the year, director Bong Joon-ho comes back from his three-year sabbatical since he scored his last major hit, "The Host," with a story about a mother dead-set on proving her son's innocence in a murder wrap she believes he did not commit. With Bong's filmmaking tendencies, however, audiences can expect this simple tale to be graced with social commentary, emotional complexities, dark humor, and a skewed paradigm as far as the thriller genre is concerned. The film stars "national mother," Kim Hye-ja in the title role and continental heartthrob Won Bin as her son.

'Drag Me to Hell' (Opening June 4)

Before the immense success of the Spider Man franchise shot Sam Raimi into the lofty club of star-director category, he was known simply as a B-movie horror filmmaker with a cult following by pimply-faced fanatics with a penchant for cheese crackers and fizzy caffeinated soda pops. A self-made figurehead for DIY auteurs, Raimi gained notoriety for his ultra low-budget horror film, "Evil Dead" and its two follow-ups "Evil Dead 2," and "The Army of Darkness." This year, he returns to his roots in the horror genre with "Drag Me To Hell," starring Allison Lohman as a loan officer desperately trying to break an evil curse.

'Transformers 2: The Revenge of the Fallen' (Opening June 26)

Go-to-guy for mind-numbing explosion fests, Michael Bay directs the sequel to the 2007 smash with a bigger budget and more robots to wet the appetite for action junkies. Based on the Hasbro toys and the cartoon series which ran from 1984 through 1987, the second installment begins where the first left off. Returning to Cybertron, Starscream assumes command of the Decepticons. The Autobots find out Megatron's dead body has been stolen from the U.S. military by Skorpinox. The Decepticons revive him using an allspark. With Megatron back to seek revenge, the Autobots must continue their fight to protect the universe from the forces of evil.

''Public Enemies' (Opening July 2)

Michael Mann joins fellow filmmaker Sam Raimi in going back to the genre that catapulted him into the A-list of directors with "Public Enemies," his first cops and robber opus since the 1996 classic Los Angeles crime epic "Heat." The film stars the dynamic duo of Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in the leads representing both sides of the law. Depp plays infamous bank robber John Dillinger while Bale unsurprisingly plays the cop hot on the trail of bank jobs administered by Dillinger. Set during the crime wave of the 1930s, the picture will undoubtedly carry exhilarating shoot-outs and elaborate set pieces, echoing Mann's Pacino and DeNiro face-off in "Heat."

'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra' (TBA)

Paramount Pictures and Hasbro, whose previous collaboration was the worldwide blockbuster "Transformers," join forces for another potentially lucrative action-adventure franchise in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." From the Egyptian desert to deep below the polar ice caps, the elite G.I. Joe team uses the latest in next-generation spy and military equipment to fight the corrupt arms dealer Destro and the growing threat of the mysterious Cobra organization to prevent them from plunging the world into chaos. Directed by Stephen Sommers of "The Mummy" franchise fame, the film will feature Hallyu-star Lee Byung-hun as Storm Shadow, a retired Ninjitsu expert who trains the G.I. Joe team.

'Memento Mori 5' (TBA)

In the fifth installment of the long-running Memento Mori series of horror films set in an all-girls high school, five best friends who have sworn to be friends forever make a pact to commit suicide. But the night before the planned event, one of the girls jumps the gun and kills herself. Shocked by their friend's death, their own demise becomes inevitable as death looms for those mentioned in the friendship oath written by their friend moments before her death.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) via koreaherald.co.kr

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 16-5-2009 12:54 AM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

Wedding bells ring for comedy star from 'Gag Concert'

Comedian Yoo Se-yoon  

Comedian Yoo Se-yoon is getting hitched on Sunday.

Yoo, one of the stars of KBS-2 TV抯 揋ag Concert,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 11:25 AM | Show all posts
Thanks to melusine at soompi.com for the highlight

Blood-suckers and blood-thirsty revenge: an interview with South Korean director Park Chan-wook

Posted by: Jon Herskovitz, Reuters
May 13, 2009

South Korean director Park Chan-wook talked vampires and the movie industry at an interview with Reuters in Seoul this week as his movie "Thirst" prepares to enter the competition at the Cannes International Film Festival which opens today. Park's movie "Oldboy" won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2004 and this is his first film in competition since then.

"Thirst" stars Song Kang-ho and Kim Ok-vin as a priest turned vampire and a femme fatale respectively.

Here is a transcript of the Reuters interview with Park, translated from Korean.

(Reuters pictures by Jo Yong-hak. Park Chan-wook at his office in Seoul and actress Kim Ok-vin)

SPOILER ALERT: About halfway through this interview, Park speaks about the ending for "Thirst"

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 11:25 AM | Show all posts
Reuters: Is there any Hollywood film you want to remake as a director?

Park: Well, not really for now.

I've always though it抎 be good to remake "Apache". But then, it might not be a good idea to do so since it's such a great film. People wouldn't really have nice things to say about my film when they compare it to the original work. When I see other directors who are remaking great films, I kind of envy their guts. I wouldn't dare -- I'm scared to be bashed. (laughs)

Reuters: What is it like to compete against Quentin Tarantino?

Park: I don't believe directors will be coming to Cannes thinking about competing against each other. A festival is a festival, not a sports competition. Being part of the festival is what really counts. Also, getting awards depends heavily on the taste of the jury. If you think about it, too many great works have failed to get attention from juries in the past.

Besides Quentin Tarantino, there will be a lot of world-class directors at the upcoming Cannes Festival.

What's particularly interesting about Quentin Tarantino's new film for me this time is that it was inspired by Robert Aldrich's "The Dirty Dozen".

Reuters: How have you changed since the vengeance trilogy?

Park: A chapter in my career seems to have turned over. I felt exhausted and a bit devastated after the trilogy, which is why I made a "cute" film: I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK. So after the trilogy and the "Cyborg", I felt like a full-course feast has ended, and of course the trilogy was a heavy steak and the Cyborg movie was a desert. "Thirst" marks a new start for me.

Reuters: Are you working on a new project?

Park: No, nothing has been decided yet. And it's actually the first time that I have completed one movie and don't really have anything immediate at hand. It's giving me mixed feelings -- I kind of get antsy about not planning anything at the moment, but then at the same time, I feel relaxed. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take some rest and ponder what's next. There are some scenarios coming from Hollywood nowadays.

Reuters: Would you think about doing a Hollywood movie?

Park: It all depends on whether I can come across a good screenplay. People might think I can write on my own, as I do here, but it'll be difficult to start out in Hollywood with a film written by myself. So if I ever do a Hollywood movie, the script would have to be written somebody else. I guess there's no reason for me not to do it if there is a good scenario. But I have no intention at all to do a Hollywood film just for its own sake. I am not going to do a film based on a bad scenario just to make a big Hollywood film or work with Hollywood stars.

Reuters: What do you think is the appeal of Korean films to international audiences, especially at global events?

Park: I'm not sure if I can generalise different movies from different directors, but I guess there could be two reasons. Firstly many of South Korea's modern films do not dodge but squarely confront moral questions that other films in other countries tend to see as anachronistic. Also, South Korea has a very complicated modern history, and many local directors have gone through it all, which contributes to huge fluctuations of emotions and dramatic effects in their movies.

Reuters: What's the most fun about directing a vampire movie?

Park: Like I've said, breaking away from stereotypes. It was fun to think of what changes I could make within the tradition.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 11:28 AM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

10 Korean films to screen at this year's Cannes fest

image: munhwa.com / melusine

Ten Korean films will screen at this year抯 Cannes Film Festival, which kicked off Wednesday.

But it is Park Chan-wook抯 揟hirst

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 11:29 AM | Show all posts

May 15, 2009

South Korean director Park Chan-Wook (L ), Kim Ok-Bin (2ndL), Kim Hae-Sook (C ), Shin Ha-Kyun (2ndR), Song Kang-Ho (R ) attend the 'Thirst' (Bakjwi) Photocall held at the Palais Des Festivals during the 62nd International Cannes Film Festival on May 15, 2009 in Cannes, France.

Source: festival-cannes.com / getty images, thanks to melusine at Thirst soompi thread

[ Last edited by  katt at 17-5-2009 23:38 ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2009 03:38 PM | Show all posts
May 16, 2009

Jeon Ji-hyun Looks to Confound Critics in Vampire Film

Jeon Ji-hyun

Actress Jeon Ji-hyun is on a tour of several countries to promote her latest film "Blood: The Last Vampire" scheduled for release on June 11.

The film is the story of a vampire who is battling to end 400 years of warfare between humans and vampires. Based on Japanese animation "Ghost in the Shell" by Mamoru Oshii, it cost US$35 million as a co-production by Japan, France and Hong Kong.

"I'm more excited and nervous because it's not a Korean project, but a multinational one," Jeon said. "I'm very nervous because I'm presenting myself as an actress in a new genre."

"I get a lot of feedback saying that I抦 a commercial model rather than an actress, and that I'm trapped in the images in advertisements. I also hear comments questioning my ability to act. Because I'm a human being, I was anxious and impatient about having to show another side of me to the public," she said. "But I also thought that because I'm an actress, I don't have to get carried away. I know that I will do well and I will look good, so there was no need to hurry."

"I'm sorry that I wasn't able to show various aspects of myself in dramas or films throughout my 11-year career," she said. There are many misperceptions and prejudices about the image I've portrayed so far, but I think the best answer to such criticisms would be to do well in new films. I have ambition and desire to act until the day I die."

Jeon said the film tried to be as true to the original animation as possible. "The director and all other crew said I fit the character very well."

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 12:04 PM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

Asian biz at Cannes reflects new prowess
Films competing, selling well at this year's festival

By Patrick Frater

"Thirst," "Vengeance," "Spring Fever," "Kinatay," "Visage"

CANNES -- This year's Cannes festival and market are both bearing witness to the strength and diversity of the Asian film industry.

The main competition includes five Asian-made films and another couple with Asian themes or directors (Ang Lee's "Taking Woodstock," Isabelle Coixtet's "Map of the Sounds of Tokyo").

It could easily have included more if Lee Chang-dong had not been on the jury -- alongside Asian jurors Shu Qi and Sharmila Tagore -- or if the selectors had seen fit to include "City of Life and Death," from China's Lu Chuan or even one representative from the Indian subcontinent, the world's most prolific film industry.

The films are even selling well. CJ Entertainment reported a trio of new sales deals on the Park Chan-wook vampire romancer "Thirst " with Lolafilms for Spain, Paris Filmes for Brazil and Avsar for Turkey -- all before last night's official screening. Another Korean seller, Fine Cut, also added a high-profile French deal for Hong Sang-soo's Quinzaine entry "Like You Know It" with CTV International for all French-speaking territories.

While Asian economies, with their manufacturing and export bent, have not completely escaped the global financial crisis, the Far East movie industry continues to show resilience in the face of the global storm. Among other things, this is being driven by the mushrooming of the Chinese film market, creeping integration of the previously separate national film industries and changing tastes around the world, as witnessed by the movement of Japanese games and anime into the global mainstream and the paradigm-shifting success of "Slumdog Millionaire."

The oft-touted globalization of Bollywood may, finally, be taking root in different corners of the world. And Indian companies are responding by behaving less like an industry apart. Where self distribution used to be the norm for Indian groups, third-party sales companies are now being employed to expand reach. This week, Indian Film Co.-Studio 18 appointed Fortissimo to sell its "Road Movie," while UTV is seeing strong business through Madrid's Six Sales for its first-ever English-language film with no Indian angle whatsoever, the Heather Graham and Jennifer Coolidge-starrer "Ex Terminators."

"There are so many new markets for us these days," UTV Motion Pictures CEO Siddharth Kapur said. "In Poland, we used to sell one film per year, now we sell five. Last year, we scored our first-ever sales to Italy and Taiwan and expect more to follow."

Two Cannes ago, Chinese companies grabbed the headlines with announcements of high-profile projects and flashy funding schemes. Last year, it was the turn of India's movie majors Reliance and Eros to unveil Hollywood talent and global releasing deals. This year it is almost normal that firms from both developing superpowers are grabbing ink, though the deals are less frothy and perhaps more realistic.

A succession of pictures with budgets in the $10 million- $30 million range -- "Bubblegum Crisis," "Future X-Cops," "IRIS: The Movie" and "Kung-fu Cyborg" -- have this week come to market through producers in Hong Kong, China and Singapore. Each aims to tap into the mainland China market, which is delivering year-on-year boxoffice growth in the order of 25%, and creating the basis for a "greater China" market or an Asian regional market, which have a degree of protection from the global "financial tsunami."

Friday, it was the turn of Easternlight Films, the specialty Asian label of L.A.-based sales company Arclight, to unveil an $18 million Chinese picture, "The Long March," an historic action drama with John Hay in the director's chair and the promise of thousands of extras on loan from the People's Liberation Army.

The Asian picture is not all rosy. The Korean film industry is in a painful slowdown after a bout of inflation and the withdrawal of private equity money; the first half of the year is a wipeout for the Indian boxoffice as a result of a standoff between producers and multiplex owners; and Japan's indie distribution sector is wracked by a quartet of company closures.

But seasoned observers in each country say that companies are using the cover of the global recession to enforce necessary deflationary measures and restore a sense of order to Asia's still heated markets.

"Companies need to be properly sized and positioned," said Tom Yoda, who heads both distributor Gaga Communications and the Tokyo festival. "But the strength of our Japanese content is still good."

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 07:41 PM | Show all posts
May 17, 2009

Men Eat Up Chicken Breasts for Tight-Bodied Look

By Jane Han
Staff Reporter

Who said chicken breast is a diet staple only for tight-bodied sizzling young men? With the latest social trend idolizing muscular and fashionable middle-aged men, 30- and 40-something men looking to tone up and trim down are emerging as the biggest buyers.

Online shopping mall Auction's sales data showed Sunday that revenue generated from chicken breast sales has shot up 108 percent on-year in the past month. Male shoppers accounted for 75 percent of the sales and among them, 30-something shoppers were the largest age group (37 percent), followed by consumers in their 20s (26 percent) and 40s (23.4 percent).

Ko Hyun-sil, a food merchandiser at Auction, attributed the strong sales to the recent fad for "beautiful older men," an image characterized in MBC's popular drama "Queen of Housewives."

In the drama, typical "ajeossi," or middle-aged men, who are stereotyped to be outmoded and have little physical allure, are nowhere to be found. All three main male characters are fit and stylish, each with their own manly appeal.

"The television show has triggered even ordinary men to work their way toward becoming these hot characters," she said, adding that weight control is the first place people are looking to start.

Skinless chicken breast, which is known as one of the leanest and most protein-packed foods, is a popular choice for health and weight-conscious individuals.

Top actor Bae Yong-joon proved the lean poultry diet's effectiveness recently by shedding more than 8 kilograms in two months by eating chicken breast and eggs.

The growth rate of chicken breast purchases among 40-somethings stands out the most, based on the data. Their consumption soared 214 percent year-on-year, the highest jump compared to other age groups.

According to Auction, male shoppers in their 40s also showed off their purchasing power in the health supplement categories. While sales of diet supplements leaped 25 percent year-on-year, 40-somethings generated 24 percent of the revenue.

"Social trends trigger all sorts of fads, but the latest one is beneficial because it ultimately helps middle-aged people look after their health more," said Kim.

Credits: jhan@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 08:17 PM | Show all posts
May 12, 2009

Rock star gets plastic surgery  

Pop artist Shin Hae-chul has been one of the hottest online keywords for weeks. He mad controversial remarks after North Korea's rocket launch, leading some conservative groups to accuse him of violating the national security law. He was also engaged in a war of words with a ruling party lawmaker over his ideological stance.

Shin recently dropped another bombshell by announcing that he spent hundreds of million won for plastic surgery. Appearing on a new show program "MBC Everyone," he commented on his good looks. One of the show hosts, Park Myeong-su, asked Shin, "You don't bother to care how you look, do you?" Shin answered "I had spent hundreds of million won on plastic surgery."

The rock star revealed his beauty secret: He experienced a variety of cosmetic treatment, such as Botox. He added that he had fat dissolution shots on his face the day before the recordings and that is why he looked so bloated.

The other host, Jung Hyun-don, then asked "Do you think you have any advantages from how you look?" Shin answered "At first I was not recognized as a real artist because of my pretty boy idol image." About another question by hosts' whether he is confident with his looks, Shin struck back with an answer "the only thing I believe in how I look," made people laugh.

By Hwang Aesol  (csa919@gmail.com)  / Korea Herald

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 08:21 PM | Show all posts
May 17, 2009

Female Film Producer Jung Dies

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

The late Jung Seung-hye

Jung Seung-hye, the head of movie production company Achim and a famed copywriter, died Sunday from colon cancer. She was 44.

Jung has been suffering from the illness since 2006 and was hospitalized last month after her condition worsened. "She struggled against the disease, but as the cancer spread to her lungs, her condition got worse," said Lee Joon-ik, director of the hit movie "King and the Clown" (2005) and Jung's friend of 20 years.

Jung started working in the movie marketing business in 1989 at film company Shin Cine with the film "Happiness Does Not Come From Grades." She moved to Lee's Cine World and produced numerous films including "The Spy" (1999), "Anarchists" (2000) and "Hwang San Bul" (2003).

When the film "King and the Clown" hit the mark with more than 10 million viewers, she flew solo with her own company Achim in 2005 and continued to produce popular films including "Radio Star" (2006) "Shadows in the Palace" (2007) and "Sunny." (2008).

"There was not one time in her professional life that she did not give her best. Even in her last moments, she hid the fact that she was sick because she didn't want to make others uncomfortable," Lee said.

Having the gift of words, Jung worked as a film columnist for various media channels and also worked on some of the most popular movies, both local and abroad, as a copywriter. She also released several books including "Jung Seung-hye's Cartoon Theater" and "Jung Seung-hye's Lion's Cage.'' In 2006, she also won the "Female Filmmaker of the Year" award from the Women in Film Korea.

Jung was until recently working on a new horror film "Scream" (working title).

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 08:58 PM | Show all posts

May 16, 2009

France Cannes MOTHER Photo Call

South Korean director Joon-Ho Bong gestures during a photo call for the film 'Mother', during the 62nd International film festival in Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 16, 2009. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau)/2009-05-16 20:06:30

From left, South Korean actors Jin Goo, Won Bin, Kim Hye-Ja, and South Korean director Bong Joon-Ho, pose during a photo call for the film 'Mother', during the 62nd International film festival in Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 16, 2009. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau)/2009-05-16 19:50:09

Source: kr.news.yahoo.com / Yonhap News

[ Last edited by  katt at 17-5-2009 23:40 ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 11:37 PM | Show all posts
'Thirst' a Hit at Cannes
2009-05-16 13:32:46

The Korean film "Thirst

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 11:39 PM | Show all posts
May 15, 2009

THIRST at Cannes Red Carpet

CANNES, FRANCE - MAY 15: Actors Eriq Ebouaney, Song Kang-Ho, Kim Ok-Bin, Kim Hae-Sook, director Park Chan-Wook and Shin Ha-Kyun attend the 'Thirst' Premiere at the Grand Theatre Lumiere during the 62nd Annual Cannes Film Festival on May 15, 2009 in Cannes, France.

Video: http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/mediaPlayer/9793.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2009 11:42 PM | Show all posts
May 16, 2009

France Cannes MOTHER Red Carpet

South Korean cast and crew from left, Won Bin, Kim Hye-Ja, director Bong Joon-Ho and Jin Goo arrive for the screening of the film 'Mother' during the 62nd International film festival in Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 16, 2009. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)/2009-05-17 06:06:11

Source: kr.news.yahoo.com

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

17-4-2024 07:30 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.549492 second(s), 41 queries .