CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 18797|Reply: 209

[Tempatan] Cost of living in Malaysia compared to other countries, high or low?

[Copy link]
Post time 14-2-2013 05:24 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Please refer to this data = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

High prices frequently cited by expatriates are cost of buying cars and alcohol...

What do you guys think?

Crime, cost of living top issues for women voters

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb  — Women voters are focused on security and the rising cost of living, even as analysts highlight the demographic as fence-sitters that could determine the results of Election 2013.
The Malaysian Insider conducted a straw poll among 10 female voters recently, most of whom also said that Barisan Nasional (BN) would win the 13th general election, citing various factors like government cash handouts, a disunited opposition pact and electoral fraud.
“Crime nowadays is so high,” housewife Salina Mohd Akhir told The Malaysian Insider recently, echoing the main concern among those living in cities.
“Even though sometimes you want to bring your child outside, you have to protect them all the time. Even when you go out on your own, you feel it’s not that safe for you,” said the 42-year-old, who lives in Subang Jaya near here.
According to the latest statistics provided by the Election Commission (EC), women make up 50.2 per cent, or 6.58 million voters out of a 13.1 million-strong electorate.
Salina said she worries for her five-year-old daughter whenever the latter goes to school.
Six-year-old William Yau was found dead last month after he went missing for more than a week.
Putrajaya’s efficiency unit Pemandu said last July that index crime in Malaysia dropped by 10.1 per cent from January to May in 2012 compared to the same period in 2011.
Crime watchdog MyWatch, however, said last month that the crime rate went up last year, alleging that national crime statistics have been manipulated.
Salina, whose husband works as an airline executive with a monthly pay of about RM5,000, said that the cost of living was also very high.
“If one husband is working and one wife is not working, they feel the pinch... Nothing is cheap — food, clothes. It’s not cheap anymore,” she said.
“Even if you buy average groceries, it will cost you around RM200 a week. That also you don’t get everything,” added Salina.
The housewife also said that she would support BN, highlighting the Bantuan Rakyat 1 Malaysia (BR1M) RM500 cash aids that were dished out last year. A second round of BR1M this year is expected to benefit 4.3 million households and 2.7 million single unmarried individuals compared to 4.2 million people for the first BR1M.
Accounts executive Liow Mei Fong, 30, said the escalating cost of living was a top-priority issue.
“Owning a house is quite far-fetched. Most of my peers still can’t own a house,” Liow told The Malaysian Insider recently.
“I am quite debt-free, but can’t really save to buy a decent property without compromising my lifestyle,” she added.
Liow, who earns about RM5,000 a month and usually goes travelling every year, said that she could only afford property costing below RM300,000.
“Prices are crazy these days. New ones (Petaling Jaya condominiums) are ranging RM400,000 plus,” she said.
The latest Property Market Report 2012 has revealed property prices in major cities such as Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Johor Baru and Kota Kinabalu to be well above the affordability of any middle-income wage earner with a take-home pay of less than RM4,000, prompting the federal government to come up with several affordable housing schemes.
In Kuala Lumpur, a single-storey terrace house in Taman Tun Dr Ismail or Lucky Garden is priced above RM730,000, while a similar type of house in the nearby Petaling district costs above RM378,000.
Liow also worries about violent crime and rape, saying: “Rape, for any lady, is a big thing.”
Asked who would win Election 2013, which must be called by April, she said: “It will still be BN la. They will do what it takes to be in... trick is at the votes, how they temper it.”
Insurance agent Jamilah Mohamad, 53, fears sexual assault and violence against children.
“I don’t feel safe now. If you ask me to go for a meeting at 10 o’clock at night and come back home, I have a fear that someone will follow me home,” Jamilah told The Malaysian Insider.
The mother of four, who lives in Putra Heights, pointed out that women in India could walk around wearing lots of jewellery whereas in Masjid India here, “at least four women will tell me to be careful of my chain, (though) it’s costume jewellery.”
Jamilah stressed that the cost of living was increasing, saying: “Two to three years ago, (groceries) for a week is RM100 plus, now easily RM200.” Jamilah and her husband have a combined income of about RM7,000 and are currently taking care of their 12-year-old daughter, while their three older children are living on their own.
Jamilah added that she would vote for BN as PR was not united, pointing out the “Allah” row that showed conflicting views between PAS and the DAP.
“Yes we need opposition. If not, nobody is there to monitor them (BN). But if they (PR) rule, we have doubts,” she said.
Angel, a 49-year-old Kadazan who lives in Kota Kinabalu, said the high cost of living was a major issue.
“Just (at) the mention of minimum wage, everything went up. A cup of teh si kosong is nearly RM2. Last time, (it was) RM1.20,” said Angel, who did not want to give her last name.
She also noted that Project IC, where citizenship was allegedly given to immigrants in exchange for votes during the Mahathir administration, was another issue of concern.
“BN will still win, but with a less(er) majority. A lot of dissatisfaction (is) creeping up... the ICs, cost of living, cabotage policy,” she said.
“They (the opposition) have yet to have a united front. Here, they’re so divided... especially in Sabah, there are so many political parties,” added Angel.

From an interview with an expat =

"-What is the cost of living in Malaysia?
Cheaper than the States, much more expensive than Thailand. Alcohol is ridiculously expensive, fruit is surprisingly expensive. If you stick to a more local diet it's easy to keep costs down. But if you insisted on eating all Western food all the time I would imagine grocery bills for a family of two could reach into the stratosphere."

Last edited by Tongny on 14-2-2013 05:28 PM

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 14-2-2013 05:26 PM | Show all posts
Childcare costs squeezing Malaysia’s middle-class pockets

By Boo Su-Lyn February 13, 2013

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 13 ― The difficulties and rising cost of hiring maids from neighbouring countries are forcing urban middle-class parents to send their children to private childcare.
Many parents The Malaysian Insider spoke to noted, however, that private childcare was also expensive, making it difficult to save money amid other escalating living costs like food and housing.

Several government departments and agencies have crèches for their staff but very few companies provide such facilities for working mothers.

Nurse Carys Chew, 28, said that sending her baby to a babysitter costs RM850 a month ― nearly 14 per cent out of her monthly household income of RM6,000.

After spending on milk and diapers, servicing the housing loans for a house in Pahang state capital Kuantan and an apartment in Kinrara, Selangor, where she resides, and other household expenses, Chew and her husband can only afford to save their bonuses.

“We cannot save at all. My husband’s side is kosong (empty) every month,” Chew told The Malaysian Insider recently.

Asked whether it was difficult to hire an Indonesian maid, Chew pointed out that maid agency fees alone would amount to several thousand ringgit.

The Malaysian Maid Employers Association (MAMA) reportedly said last month that only 108 maids have been sent to Malaysia, compared to the

Leow says her full-day care clients have doubled in recent years.
22,000 requested by Malaysian employers since Indonesia ended the embargo on maids in December 2011.
Human Resource Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said last December that some maid agencies charged fees of up to RM12,000 per maid.

Several childcare centres and parents have told The Malaysian Insider that childcare costs ranged from RM300 to RM1,300 a month.

Irene Leow, who runs the Seri Mawar Child Care and Development Centre in Jalan Ampang, said that the number of children staying for full-day care doubled to 20 in 2009 from less than 10 in 2003. The figure has remained constant in the past three years.

Leow charges RM770 monthly for full-day care, RM620 for care until 2 pm, and RM450 for care until 11.45 am.

“Childcare does take a chunk out of people’s salaries. That’s why people should think of all these costs before having children,” Leow told The Malaysian Insider recently, adding that one-third of her clients were expats.

Peter & Jane kindergarten founder Patricia Teh said that she now charges RM1,300 a month for education and childcare for children aged between two-and-a-half years to six years, after increasing her fees by RM100 last month.

“To me, RM400 is way too low for childcare,” Teh told The Malaysian Insider, adding that Peter & Jane’s waiting list amounted to more than 100 people each year.

Teh said couples needed to be mindful of the costs of raising a child before having one.
Teh, who is also a committee member of the Early Childhood Care & Education Council (ECCE) that was conceived in the government’s National Key Economic Area (NKEA) lab, said there are 550 children in five Peter & Jane centres located in Mutiara Damansara, SEA Park, Damansara Jaya, Saujana Villa and Jalan Ampang for Citibank employees.
Of those, only 130 children opt for the full nursery and childcare programme. Without childcare, parents paid RM700 a month.

“Even to fork out RM700 a month is a lot. RM1,300 (for education and childcare) is just for fees. What about field trips and concerts? I have friends who didn’t realise it’s so expensive until they came to Peter & Jane,” said Teh, 53.

Teh stressed, however, that expensive childcare fees are necessary to recruit quality staff. “70 per cent of your income goes to HR (human resource) and children ― food, toys, keeping it clean,” she said, adding that she pays each of her 70 academic staff at least RM1,200 a month.

The majority of Peter & Jane clients are Chinese, while Malays make up some 20 per cent, and the rest are Korean, Japanese and other clients, said Teh.

The Peter & Jane centre in Mutiara Damansara boasts spacious areas ― where children learn mathematics through wooden blocks or lie down and imagine the night sky ― that are not designed as traditional classrooms. There are no doors or walls. Instead, classes are divided by colourful bulletin boards.

This enables everyone to be seen, said Teh. The large centre has a high ceiling and pastel walls with blue and red stair banisters.

Church pastor Karen Chan, who has a household income of about RM14,000, spends about RM1,130 a month to send her eight-year-old daughter to a daycare centre in Taman Megah and her four-year-old son to a babysitter in SS2.

“If I have a third child, I cannot work,” Chan told The Malaysian Insider, pointing out that the childcare costs for three children would near her salary.

Chan, 39, added that it was very difficult to obtain Indonesian maids. “I’ve had friends pay RM10,000, RM14,000, but they still haven’t received (the maids) yet,” she said.

The law requires that each caregiver be responsible for no more than three charges under the age of two.
Association of Registered Child Care Providers Malaysia (PPBM) vice-president PH Wong said that the minimum wage policy, which was implemented on January 1, has pushed the fees of childcare centres in Selangor from RM250 to RM300 a month.
“In PJ (Petaling Jaya), childcare fees are RM600 to RM800. KL (Kuala Lumpur), it’s RM1,200,” Wong told The Malaysian Insider recently.

She noted that it was usually the wealthy who hired full-time maids, while middle-income earners sought private childcare.

Wong added that most Chinese living in urban areas sent their children to private childcare, while low-income Malay and Indian parents sent theirs to government and low-cost private childcare centres respectively.

The number of registered childcare centres has jumped from 245 in 2008 to 1,962 in 2012, according to statistics provided by the Social Welfare Department (JKM). There are also at least 1,600 unlicensed childcare centres.

Taska Seri Cahaya owner Shamsinah Che Shariff said that her monthly childcare fees are RM700 for babies and RM550 for children aged three to four years.

The childcare centre currently has four babies and 20 children aged two to four years, while Shamsinah’s kindergarten ― which operates at the same venue in Subang Jaya ― has over 100 children.

“I’m surviving because I’m not depending on childcare money,” Shamsinah told The Malaysian Insider, adding that she relied on her kindergarten business, which charges RM400 a month.

Shamsinah said parents from rural areas were often unprepared for the realities of urban childcare costs.
Shamsinah, who is also the PPBM president, pointed out that the childcare provider to children ratios required by law ― 1:3 for babies and 1:5 for children aged two to three years ― swell the overhead costs of childcare centres.
“For a quality centre, you can’t survive with RM300 a month... ideally, the fees for quality childcare is RM1,500,” she said.

“Our home-based operator in Kedah in a paddy field can charge RM300 a kid. In Pahang, they charge RM400. I think our parents have been spoilt with low fees,” added the 54-year-old, who opened her kindergarten in 1998 and childcare centre in 2006.

Church administrator Kasturi Sashi spends RM300 a month to send her six-year-old daughter to a kindergarten, which also provides daycare, in Puchong Jaya, five minutes away from her home. She also gives RM300 a month to her mother, who lives in Bidor, Perak, to take care of her two-year-old son, whom she visits on weekends.

Kasturi, who has a household income of about RM5,500, said she and her husband find it quite difficult to save money.

“My husband keeps telling me to stop work. But nowadays, everything is expensive. I don’t want to give my husband so much burden,” said the 34-year-old administrator, who noted that sending her daughter to daycare forces her to leave work at 5pm sharp so that she can pick her daughter up by 5.30pm.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-2-2013 05:30 PM | Show all posts
Malaysia

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-2-2013 05:32 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 05:38 PM | Show all posts
don't worry.... BR1M penyelesai segala masalah.

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 05:41 PM | Show all posts
cer tanya muntri.. ehh malaysia okayyy.... mana ada cost of living tinggi!??  skrg nih bwk rm100 ke pasar malam to get good stuff nak masak dpt lah kot for 2 days' worth of lauk kot.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 14-2-2013 05:46 PM | Show all posts
tobby posted on 14-2-2013 05:38 PM
don't worry.... BR1M penyelesai segala masalah.

YES!!!! Jom enjoice dgn BR1M....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-2-2013 05:49 PM | Show all posts
adnil posted on 14-2-2013 05:41 PM
cer tanya muntri.. ehh malaysia okayyy.... mana ada cost of living tinggi!??  skrg nih bwk rm100 ke  ...

"-What is the cost of living in Malaysia?
Cheaper than the States, much more expensive than Thailand. Alcohol is ridiculously expensive, fruit is surprisingly expensive. If you stick to a more local diet it's easy to keep costs down. But if you insisted on eating all Western food all the time I would imagine grocery bills for a family of two could reach into the stratosphere."

Expat ni kata cost of living kat Malaysia is cheaper compared dgn kat US. Kat sana harga kereta murah, minyak murah, tapi healthcare dan tertiary education cost tinggi. Kat sini healthcare antara paling murah kat dunia, tertiary education pula kalau for Malays, belajar kat UiTM memang murah lah.....

You gain here you lose here. There's no such thing as a perfect country....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-2-2013 05:57 PM | Show all posts
Tongny posted on 14-2-2013 05:49 PM

"-What is the cost of living in Malaysia?[/back ...

frankly - i care not what these expats says... i worked  with expats for a quite many years and some of them  are living practically free (with all the allowances and whatnot received on their expat package) - at times for very questionable workload ie the actual work is being done by locals paid significantly much much lower than them..
my pren... not looking for perfection nor expecting anything perfect ... but please laahh....  

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 06:02 PM | Show all posts
melambak2 je org pakai ifon..... makan mekdi.... makan kepci.... sanggup tuh sampai bengkrap...

lain kali makan ulam2...makan buah buahan tempatan.... sihat badan...

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 06:03 PM | Show all posts
ANNDHIA85 posted on 14-2-2013 05:46 PM
YES!!!! Jom enjoice dgn BR1M....

"dgn duit BR1M saya mampu membayar segala hutang piutang saya, meringankan beban anak beranak selepas rega minyak melambung"  - lebai Sahak, siak mesjid kg pinang sebatang.

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 06:05 PM | Show all posts
org keje McD kat US mampu je beli kereta lpas 3-4 tahun keje... org keje Mcd Malaysia bawa moto jela sampai ke tua..

gaji min US = ~7 dollar sejam, burger mcD = ~3 dollar
gaji min Malaysia = ~5 ringgit sejam, burger mcD = ~6 ringgit

bersyukorlah ummah melayu cacai pelda pprt x pandai matematik

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 06:05 PM | Show all posts
tobby posted on 14-2-2013 06:03 PM
"dgn duit BR1M saya mampu membayar segala hutang piutang saya, meringankan beban anak beranak sele ...

harharharhar..... dgn duit itu juga masalah hutang yg membebani hidup saya selama ni selesai...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-2-2013 06:11 PM | Show all posts
brownstone posted on 14-2-2013 06:05 PM
org keje McD kat US mampu je beli kereta lpas 3-4 tahun keje... org keje Mcd Malaysia bawa moto jela ...

Second hand cars kat US memang murah, sangat2 murah.
Fuel pun murah......
Tapi healthcare dan tertiary education mahal.
Jadi kalau nak migrate kat sana, jangan selalu jatuh sakit dan habiskan belajar kat sini baru migrate

Btw, harga kereta antara perkara yg paling aku marah kat Malaysia ni.
Kalau belum stabil aku rasa baik rakyat2 biasa ni pakai Kelisa atau Viva je....

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 06:23 PM | Show all posts
Tongny posted on 14-2-2013 06:11 PM
Fuel pun murah......
Tapi healthcare dan te ...

mmg x dinafikan tertiary education mahal kat US... tapi x semua org perlukan tertiary education, do u expect pakcik tua yg greet org kat walmart ade degree? aiyooo...

kalau healthcare, rase2 nya sape2 yg bekerja bole amik perlindungan insurans. and US je yg xde free healthcare..kanada ok jek.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-2-2013 06:36 PM | Show all posts
brownstone posted on 14-2-2013 06:23 PM
mmg x dinafikan tertiary education mahal kat US... tapi x semua org perlukan tertiary education, d ...

With knowledge comes power. Kalau gov pun x berusaha untuk lower tertiary education's cost, susah gak untuk low income ppl untuk further their education ( with higher qualifications come higher opportunities in career options ).

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-2-2013 06:52 PM | Show all posts
Tongny posted on 14-2-2013 06:11 PM
Fuel pun murah......
Tapi healthcare dan te ...

Saya tak puas hati dengan harga rumah yang mahal dan kemudian kerajaan terpaksa/sengaja memaksa diri untuk membuat PR1MA seolah2 nak menutup kenaikan harga bahan binaan dan harga rumah di Malaysia...

Kalau betul negara kita bagus kerajaan tak perlu wujudkan PR1MA, BR1M dan pelbagai lagi 1M.

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 09:03 PM | Show all posts
Igt lagi aku masa mula2 kerajaan umum BR1M dulu... PR cakap kerajaan ciplak buku jingga.. kalu BR1M xbagus nape PR ckp ciplak idea diorg?.... dan skrg bnyk plak org kutuk2 ek?... syukur la ape yg ada.. negara kita xde huru-hara, bencana alam dahsyat. Igtlah sape pun yg jadi pemimpin akhir zaman adalah org yang diangkat dari golongan hina dan keji.. sampai keluarnya Imam Mahdi dan turunnya Nabi Isa A.S...

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 09:06 PM | Show all posts
wa dh bandingkan dgn NZ,
mmg living cost boleh land agak tinggi,,

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2013 09:18 PM | Show all posts
brownstone posted on 14-2-2013 04:05 AM
org keje McD kat US mampu je beli kereta lpas 3-4 tahun keje... org keje Mcd Malaysia bawa moto jela ...

tapi tenguk apa keta dorang boleh beli, secondhand  2K dollar yang mati hidup segan
asyik rosak so kos baiki lebih mahal itu tak kira insurance akan lebih mahal...
me rasa dorang rather naik bas bayar pass bulanan 70 dollar lebih dari beli minyak keta....
base me perhatikan dekat quebec ni lah... dan keja mcdo sebenar paras hidup di bawah kemiskinan gitu....
menetap di kejiranan orang panggil ghetto dan hidup oh coz bukan mudah...
sudahlah barang mahal disini,  ayam 10 dollar, sayur 4 dollar, roti 4 dollar,
susu 3 dollar sekotak,itu ini....

me teringat jumpa tourist dari us kata cam bagaimana korang hidup di sini dengan segala mala mahal
plus tax 15% dan makan di resto tax lagi 15%...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

25-4-2024 09:35 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.076128 second(s), 50 queries .