ADVERTISEMENT

1234Next
Return to list New
View: 11366|Reply: 76

[Tempatan] MUET: ramai pelajar law UM tak melepasi syarat graduate

[Copy link]
Post time 27-2-2013 10:56 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
Group of UM law students in limbo

23 cannot graduate after falling short in Englist test, urge university to consider appeal
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2013 - 13:48
by A. Sangeetha

TWENTY-THREE Universiti Malaya (UM) external undergraduate law students are at a loss as they are unable to graduate after failing to fulfil the compulsory passing rate of the Malaysian Universities English Test (MUET).

The majority, who were mature Bachelor of Jurisprudence (BOJ) students, claimed to have sat for the examination at least six times but were unable to attain the Band Four passing range that carries scores of between 180 and 219 marks.

MUET was introduced in 2000 to increase the level of English among college and university students in Malaysia and varies between an entrance and graduation requirement for higher learning institutes.

A legal clerk, who declined to be named, said she completed all her BOJ subjects by 2010 but could not attain Band Four despite sitting for MUET six times.

“As a result, I am unable to graduate. I completed my 15 law subjects under BOJ within fi ve years, two years shy of the maximum period prescribed by UM to complete the law degree,” she said.

“It has been eight years now and I will not be able to pursue the Certifi cate in Legal Practice (CLP). According to CLP requirements, we must have finished our degree within seven years.

“I am distraught that all my dreams of becoming a lawyer have been crushed because I cannot attain a Band Four in MUET. It is a very difficult English examination.”

The clerk, 42, who keeps attaining Band Three, carrying marks of between 140 and 179, said she and 22 other students who obtained a similar band had appealed to the UM law faculty and vice-chancellor numerous times.

“We keep asking them to consider allowing us to graduate with Band Three but they consistently reject our appeal. We are at our wits-end with no way to go about this anymore,” she said.

The group also appealed to the Higher Education Ministry that urged UM to look into the matter. However, UM contended that the ministry had no authority to intervene because universities are autonomous, she said.

The teary-eyed clerk said that she had spent more than RM40,000 for the programme and with no ‘light at the end of the tunnel’.

“If only I knew my fate was going to be like this, I would not have withdrawn half my savings from the Employees Provident Fund. I have nothing to prove at the end of the day. No degree and no hopes of ever becoming a lawyer,” she said.

Having worked as a legal clerk for 16 years, the unmarried woman, sixth child of seven married siblings, grew an ambition to become a lawyer and to secure a stable life that would carry her through her old age.

“I studied very hard for this programme. I don’t understand why UM would not just allow us to graduate with Band Three.

“We heard that three students from our batch were allowed to graduate with Band Three passing marks and one of them is a lawyer now.

“I am surrendering to the fact that I cannot become a lawyer anymore but I want to create an awareness in the discrepancy in the system. I don’t want other students to experience what I have,” she said.

Meanwhile, UM Deputy vice chancellor (academic and international) Prof Dr Mohd Hamdi Abdul Shukor, said the MUET Four is a requirement that was informed and agreed upon by the students when they initially got the study offer.

“Anyhow, the UM Senate has agreed to allow them to take up a special English programme run by our Language and Linguistic Faculty as they need to attain a certain level to pass,” he said.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-2-2013 10:58 AM | Show all posts
aku first attemp dah dapat band 4...jawab main tibai je..... tu la dia kalau mat poyo dan minah poyo nk naik unisti... kah kah kah... kena plak menteri poyo letakkan syarat sapa dia yg layak masuk unisti..alamat yg poyo la kuar surat kabau... kah kah kah

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 11:04 AM | Show all posts
Sebenarnya ni masalah student out campus BOJ UM, full  time takda masalah ni sebab awal2 nak masuk law degree semua kena Band 4 MUET. Ini  syarat yang memang dah ditetapkan untuk law school. Band 3 hatta skor 179 pun masih tak layak masuk LLB.

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 11:31 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Kesian..syukur me dapat band 4 dulu dan dah boleh graduate

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 11:40 AM | Show all posts
adik aku elok je lepas

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 11:40 AM | Show all posts
Kualiti kena jaga juga.....law tuuuuuuuuuu!

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 27-2-2013 11:52 AM | Show all posts
Aku senang je  pass

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 12:30 PM | Show all posts
A 42 years old lady clerk with experienced of 16 years working as a legal clerk couldn't get Muet Band 4 after sitting six times!! Ayoyoyo..., something wrong somewhere daa.. My advice is..., keep on sitting until U fulfill your dream daa..., coz EPF saving RM40,000 gone & hancur daa..  

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-2-2013 12:40 PM | Show all posts
pakwetizzaqyah posted on 27-2-2013 10:58 AM
aku first attemp dah dapat band 4...jawab main tibai je..... tu la dia kalau mat poyo dan minah poyo ...

Bodoh benar kalo budak law takleh dapat band 4.

Rata2 budak law yang aku kenal takde yang kurang dari band 5 pun. Susah nak jumpa yang band 4 kebawah dikalangan budak law ni.

Nila jadinya bila orang TAK LAYAK dibenarkan masuk unisti. Siap nak mintak exemption bagai.

P/S: Korang tak PELIK ke camne diorang2 ni leh lulus exam? Last edited by Babai on 27-2-2013 12:47 PM

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 12:47 PM | Show all posts
xjd lawyer btoi, jd loyar buroq pon jd lahhh

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 12:49 PM | Show all posts
md.jie posted on 27-2-2013 12:47 PM
xjd lawyer btoi, jd loyar buroq pon jd lahhh

Orang kalo dah jenis TAK LAYAK, ini la jadinya.

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 12:57 PM | Show all posts
Kalo law student band 4 pon  tak dapat,  u dont deserve 2b a lawyerlah. Carik keje lain. Yg dpt band 4 pon ckp omputih sangkut2 .... nk practise law caner ....

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:12 PM | Show all posts
band 4 or 5 pon bila interview cakap terketar2 tak guna gak

time aku takder band2 nih, tapi yelah aku ngaji  dulu semua pakai English

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:13 PM | Show all posts
missus_meow posted on 27-2-2013 12:57 PM
Kalo law student band 4 pon  tak dapat,  u dont deserve 2b a lawyerlah. Carik keje lain. Yg dpt band ...

Itu la jadinya bila otak taraf kerani tapi ada hati nak jadi lawyer.

Eh, camne dia leh lulus exam ek? Banyak dapat tips ke?

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:13 PM | Show all posts
Pekejadah dorg dibenarkan start buat BOJ without MUET band 4? UM pon sama je bongok.

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:15 PM | Show all posts
snipersnake posted on 27-2-2013 01:12 PM
band 4 or 5 pon bila interview cakap terketar2 tak guna gak

time aku takder band2 nih, tapi ye ...

Zaman kita muet lom ada. Time tu orang pakai ielts.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-2-2013 01:17 PM | Show all posts
takpela dik..usaha tangga kejayaan.....melainkan guna eskelator.

OOO My English....

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:19 PM | Show all posts
Babai posted on 27-2-2013 01:15 PM
Zaman kita muet lom ada. Time tu orang pakai ielts.

kita otai bro

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:29 PM | Show all posts
airwaves posted on 27-2-2013 01:13 PM
Pekejadah dorg dibenarkan start buat BOJ without MUET band 4? UM pon sama je bongok.

Biasanya syarat dilonggarkan untuk parttime student yang dah tua2 tu dan cuma perlu dapat band 4 sebelum grad. So student takleh banyak bunyi sebab dah bagi peluang.

Use magic Report

Post time 27-2-2013 01:31 PM | Show all posts
snipersnake posted on 27-2-2013 01:19 PM
kita otai bro

Makcik yang kantoi muet 6 kali tu lagi otai, bro. Dah nak ujung kerjaya perkeranian dah tu.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

19-4-2024 07:08 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.544087 second(s), 46 queries .