Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3685|Reply: 1

Buddhist Sermons Series--Shingyo Temple

[Copy link]
Post time 15-4-2015 11:31 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Sermon 1

"I was born as a prince.  I was married and had a son.  Luxury goods, great foods and beverages, many servants, and great entertainers were always around me.   However, nothing made me happy."
--- The Buddha

Important learning points:
The Buddha did not teach that we must eliminate all desires because we would have the three subjects (body, mind, and consciousness) until our death.  Our body and mind will need certain things (desires) to live to continue practice to attain the final salvation.  Elimination of all desires will create suffering.
We should separate necessary desire from unnecessary desire based on the middle path approach.  Then, we should control necessary desire and minimize (eliminate) unnecessary desire based on the Four Noble Truths.
In fact, if we learn how to "be satisfied" correctly, we are able to control necessary desire and minimize (eliminate) unnecessary desire.
Expressing sincere and unconditional appreciations in any aspect of our life will make us "being satisfied", therefore, capable to control necessary desire and minimize (eliminate) unnecessary desire.  This is because such appreciation will give us correct sense of respect, mercy, and mindfulness.
The concept of "happiness" will exist as the concept of "unhappiness" will exist.  If we do not have the concept of unhappiness, how can we define "happiness"?  Therefore, if you are simply looking for happiness, you are looking for unhappiness at the same time.  
Being happy will be a starting point to become unhappy as "happiness" is ever changing condition (non-substance).  Similarly, being unhappy will be a starting point to become happy for the same logic.
The Buddha did not look for happiness.  He looked for something beyond happiness.  It was "the nothingness".  The nothingness will be the substance which will not change.  If it will not change, it will have perfect tranquility.  The perfect tranquility is the Buddha's discovery and called "nirvana".  
When you are looking for the nothingness, you will experience "happiness" as it is.  Then, the happiness will come directly to you so vividly.  At the same time, you will not be afraid of being unhappy.  You will welcome unhappiness as a great chance to train your consciousness.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 15-4-2015 11:34 PM | Show all posts
Sermon 2[size=10.8000001907349px]

[size=13.1999998092651px]

[size=13.1999998092651px]

"I saw old people in town.  Aging scared me.  I saw sick persons.  Being sick scared me. I saw dead persons.  Death scared me.  I had to deal with persons I hated.  Unwanted human relations scared me.  I could not get what I wanted.  I suffered for the unsatisfied desires.  I was so irritated and angry for poor conditions of my mind and spirituality.   I recognized so many sufferings around me.  Were we born to experience such sufferings?"

------ The Buddha

Learning points:

• Suffering (Dukkha) is usually represented by birth, aging, illness, and death. These are something we cannot control.  These are also ever changing subjects.  
  • This is the Buddha's first recognition of "suffering" while he did not notice the cause of suffering yet.
  • However, the Buddha already pointed out the fundamental nature of suffering, "uncontrollable".
  • He also somehow pointed out the distinction of three subjects: body, mind, and consciousness.  Body and mind are subjects to create and receive suffering.  Consciousness is the suffering free subject and can be identical to the nothingness.
  • The major question of the Buddhism, "Why we have suffering?"

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

25-4-2024 09:27 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.169605 second(s), 32 queries .