Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 1943|Reply: 1

UDANG GALAH

[Copy link]
Post time 11-2-2016 08:38 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Adoamang at 11-2-2016 08:43 PM

Udang Galah - It did not seem much different to me all the years when I was growing up as usually we would always have much to eat and something special once in a while but when I was staying with an old couple in Singapore way back in 1974.I noticed that they lived a very frugal and prudent life the whole year through eating just rice and maybe one simple dish at every meal Come Chinese New Year the old lady would cook everything and the whole dinner table would be filled with all kinds of dishes they probably believed that in doing so they would have a bountiful year ahead.Unfortunately their son did not seem to be home most of the time and the daughter was already married so she and her family only dropped by for a brief visit.That was why they kept asking me to go and eat and eat and eat
Times sure have changed The old folks used to say that in the old days they hardly ever ate chicken except during Chinese New Year whereas these days the younger ones would have it so often that they would not even give it a second glance.
Coming back to the eve of Chinese New Year this year we were planning to have a light simple dinner on our own but my sister in law insisted that we joined the rest of the family and knowing how it would make my mother-in-law so happy to get everybody together I agreed and that sure saved us the trouble.
There was the ngor hiang deep fried meat rolls in bean curd skin or what is called lor bak in the peninsula and also the fried freshwater prawns or udang galah
even though they were out of season.It seemed that they had kept some in the freezer to take out when the children came home but no I wouldn't want to do that as they simply did not taste all that great definitely not the same and not nice.
There were other dishes as well but some of the photographs did not turn out good like the one I took of the steamed fish plus I was too lazy to take shots of everything as there were simply so many.That was why it reminded me of the old couple that I stayed with in Singapore so very long ago and if that is a promise of a bountiful year ahead it is pretty obvious that we would have a very good one this Year of the Monkey..Ohh..Udang Galah.
Source :    http://icah-banjarmasin.blogspot.com

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-2-2016 10:55 AM | Show all posts
nyumssss look yummeh

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Category: ExploRasa

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

25-4-2024 09:03 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.091514 second(s), 33 queries .