ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 5-7-2012 11:49 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

Jung Il-woo is Asia's actor of the year
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

Jung Il-woo won the Asia’s Male Actor award at the 2012 Huading Awards on Wednesday.

The annual awards show in Beijing recognizes the Chinese public’s favorite entertainers. Jung became the first non-Chinese entertainer to be nominated and win an award since the awards started seven years ago.

Accepting the award, Jung thanked his Chinese fans in Mandarin and said it was an honor to take home the coveted award.

After the show, Jung also was named Most Popular Entertainer at the show in a poll by the search engine Sina.com.

The awards show had previously focused only on the Chinese entertainment scene, but this year decided to include all of Asia. Award winners were chosen through phone and online surveys as well as by a panel of entertainment insiders and experts.

His agency said Jung was invited following the popularity of last year’s “Flower Boy Ramen Shop.” The tvN production was No. 1 among dramas streamed in China.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 11:51 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

Lee Young-ae shines at Vuitton launch

Actress Lee Young-ae attended the opening of a Louis Vuitton shop at Place Vendome in Paris on Tuesday.

Lee was invited as the Asia-Pacific representative to the launch of the famed brand’s jewelry store.

Dressed in a neat suit, the 41-year-old Hallyu actress proved she could hold her own against fashion heavyweights, rubbing shoulders with Hollywood stars like Kirsten Dunst and Sofia Coppola, as well as Princess Charlene of Monaco and members of the Vuitton board of directors Jordi Constans and Yves Carcelle.

In February, Lee made headlines for a different reason: showing her maternal side by releasing pictures of her twins’ first birthday bash.

The low-key event took place at a hotel in Namsan, central Seoul, and was attended by close friends and family of Lee. The one notable celebrity in attendance was actress Jun Ji-hyun.

Lee made her debut in a TV commercial for chocolate in 1990 and rose to fame through various dramas and movies. The period drama “Dae Jang Geum” starring Lee was a huge hit throughout Asia.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 11:55 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

Han Chae-young's villa won't be sold

Actress Han Chae-young’s name was one of the most searched yesterday as the result of a report that her villa would be auctioned because she failed to pay interest on a loan.

Later in the day, Han’s agency explained that the allegations were not entirely true, but that Han and her husband, Choi, allowed a friend to use the villa as collateral for a bank loan.

“As it stands, Choi will have to pay back the interest as well as the principal amount,” said the agency, adding that the property will remain in the couple’s possession.

Earlier Wednesday, a real estate agency announced on its Web site that a villa owned by Han and her husband and mortgaged by KB Bank would be auctioned as the couple failed to pay the interest on two loans: 1.2 billion won ($1,055,149) in 2010 and then 1.3 billion won in 2011.

The Web site described the dwelling as a “luxury villa” located in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul, purchased under both Han’s and her husband’s name in 2009. The property was valued at 3 to 4 billion won.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 11:57 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

Chaeyeon denies committing suicide

Chaeyeon hit back at “suicide rumors” that started circulating about the singer earlier in the week.

On Wednesday night, a SBS entertainment show said that Chinese media reported that “after being active in China, Chaeyeon has committed suicide.”

The 33-year-old K-pop singer said that as well as being false, the rumor caused her and her family much grief.

“My family was shocked, and my mom called me in hysterics,” she said.

To prove that she was alive and doing well, the entertainer even posted a picture of herself online, looking healthy and happy.

“I had no choice but to take this picture to prove that I’m well,” Chaeyeon said.

Chaeyeon has been busy promoting herself in China of late. Earlier in the year, she was at the center of a court case when her longtime stalker was convicted.

The defendant, a woman, was previously convicted of hacking into various online accounts belonging to Chaeyeon to extract the star’s phone number.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-7-2012 02:35 PM | Show all posts
July 6, 2012

For Moon Jung-hee, Battling Zombies Easy After Career Hardships
ChosunIlbo

In "Deranged," actress Moon Jung-hee looks and acts like a warrior, battling dozens of people infected with deadly parasites.

"What was especially attractive about this role was that it was a new kind of character with no reference point or role model," said Moon.

The film depicts a nightmare scenario where people becomes infected with mutant parasitic worms that brainwash them and induce mass suicide. Moon plays a mother struggling to protect her children along with her husband.

"There were moments of extreme physical difficulty, as shooting took place in the middle of the harsh winter, when the temperature often dropped to 20 degrees below zero," said Moon.

She enjoyed a breakthrough with the SBS TV drama "Alone in Love" in 2006 but her career hit a purple patch shortly afterwards.

"I had no offers for two and a half years, and I failed all my auditions. It was a painful and depressing period. I felt like I was in a dark tunnel with no end," she said.

She said she overcame the hardships by trying her hand at other vocations. "I worked as a salsa teacher -- which is something I started learning in middle school -- to resolve my financial difficulties. I also took up taekwondo and jogging to get fit and shake off my depression," she said. "I tried my hardest, and eventually things started looking up."

"Deranged" is the first commercial film in which Moon plays a starring role. "It was so cool to see myself on the screen. Now I can't wait till I start shooting my next film," she said.

"If I stay receptive to what's happening in the world, and try to reflect the changes taking place in society with my acting, hopefully I can stick with this for a long time."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-7-2012 11:33 PM | Show all posts
July 7, 2012

Lee Si-young wins boxing match

Actress Lee Si-young has won a preliminary boxing match for the 93rd National Sports Festival.

Lee knocked down her opponent in the women’s 48-kilogram (105-pound) segment at the Seoul City Amateur Boxing Competition, which was held at Korea National Sport University in Songpa District, eastern Seoul yesterday.

Lee claimed a win of 20-0, proving that she is more than just a pretty face.

As one of the four women who moved to the next round, Lee will face another match today.

If she wins the match, the 30-year-old actress will take the title as the Seoul representative and enter the ring at the National Sports Festival, which will take place in Daegu from Oct. 11 to 17.

While filming the KBS dramas “Poseidon” (2011) and “Wild Romance,” Lee was professionally trained for boxing and has since pursued the sport wholeheartedly.

After first coming across boxing in her drama, Lee entered and won the Seventh Annual Women’s Amateur Boxing Competition in 2010.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 7-7-2012 12:47 PM | Show all posts
July 7, 2012

Actress Jo Yoon-hee Enjoying Life as Late Bloomer
ChosunIlbo

Actress Jo Yoon-hee has raced into the limelight after years spent tiptoeing around its periphery by portraying an adorable woman in the KBS 2 TV drama "My Husband Got a Family," which has been receiving top viewer ratings of between 30 and 40 percent.

"I'm so happy because I get recognized not only by young fans, but also by elderly people on the streets," the 30-year-old actress said.

Jo has been involved in show business for more than 10 years. She was already quite famous while still in high school, when she posed for fashion magazines and appeared in a music video by singer Lee Soo-young. She also made her acting debut in a TV sitcom in 2002, but it has taken her a while to make a name for herself as an actress.

"Many people ask me whether I felt anxious over the years [when my career seemed to have stalled], but I'm actually quite laid back and slow to react, so I didn't really think about why things weren't working out as I'd hoped," she said. "I think I've come this far slowly but steadily by working with whatever roles I was given."

She will next try her hand in the thriller "Conspirators," a movie set to be released next month in which she plays the tragic female lead. Jo named Shim Eun-ha as her role model, because "she was a great actress and people missed her so much after she retired. I want to be remembered like that."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-7-2012 12:46 PM | Show all posts
July 7, 2012
ChosunIlbo

Actress Lee Si-young smiles after winning a boxing match at Korea National Sports University in Seoul on Friday.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 9-7-2012 12:48 PM | Show all posts
July 9, 2012

Puchon Fantasy Film Fest to Open Next Week
ChosunIlbo

One way to beat the heat this month is to enjoy some quirky or non-mainstream movies at the 16th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival, which will be held from July 19 to 29 in the city also spelled Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province, just west of Seoul.

PiFan has showcased various genres of world cinema over the last 15 years under the themes of "love, fantasy and adventure."

Besides horror and thriller movies, it also offers an exciting line up of films available for the whole family.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-7-2012 10:31 PM | Show all posts
July 9, 2012

Suzy, the 'most followed' star on Twitter

At the tender age of seventeen, Miss A’s Suzy has amassed more than 1 million followers on Twitter, making her the “most followed young star” of all the female entertainers in Korea.

“I can’t believe it. Thanks so much for all your love and support,” Suzy said upon hearing the news about herself.

Meanwhile, the girl group member is currently busy acting in the KBS2 drama “Big” alongside Hallyu actor Gong Yoo.

The teenage star is a sensation not just among her fans but among industry insiders and entertainers too.

As well as being awarded by MNet at the 20’s Choice Awards on June 28 for her acting skills in “Architecture 101,” Suzy was also voted “No.1 Idol” by a survey taken by members of various idol groups on the cable TV show “Weekly Idol.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-7-2012 10:33 PM | Show all posts
July 9, 2012

Kim Moo-yul kicked off movie set

Actor Kim Moo-yul has been asked to leave his leading role in the movie “AM 11:00” as controversy grows over his exemption from mandatory military service.

“Up until a few days ago, Kim was at costume fittings as well as script readings. He wanted to see the project through,” a spokesperson for the movie’s producers said. “But at the advice of the production company, he decided to call it quits.”

Though the Military Manpower Association did grant a valid exemption in 2010, according to the Board of Audit and Inspection, it has launched a reinvestigation into the case given the publicity.

In 2010, Kim told the conscription agency that he had a minor illness, but when he failed to receive a medical exemption, he filed another request stating that he was the sole financial provider for his family. That request was eventually granted.

And from 2007 to 2009, Kim told the Military Manpower Administration that he sat for the civil service examination more than five times, which can postpone conscription.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-7-2012 10:39 PM | Show all posts
July 6, 2012

"Tajinyo" Members Sentenced To Prison
KBS Global

After literally years of popping up in kpop gossip, Tablo is finally seeing his name be cleared.

After spreading malicious claims that hip hop artist Tablo didn't really graduate with a BA and Masters from Stanford University, two members of the group "Tajinyo" (short for "Requesting The Truth From Tablo" in Korean) have been sentenced to prison.

Tajinyo was an internet group that started spreading rumors and accusations against the validity of Tablo's academic background amongst other claims the musician had made in the past.

Members Won and Lee were sentenced to 10-month prison terms for defamation at the Seoul Central District Court on July 6th. Six other members were given 8-10 months in prison, albeit with a 2 year suspension.

In explanation for his ruling, the judge Kwak Yoon-kyung stated, "The public has the freedom of speech in expressing their interest in celebrities, and in turn, celebrities should be able to handle it to a certain extent. However, these two members crossed the line between simple person comments to continuous, malicious slander against Tablo and his family."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:00 PM | Show all posts
July 10

Yoo In-young heads to All-Star game

Actress Yoo In-young left for the United States yesterday to accompany some lucky Korean children to the 2012 Major League Baseball All-Star Game in Kansas City today.

Yoo will join Dynamic Duo’s Choiza and Supreme Team’s Simon D in representing MLB Korea along with former pro-baseball player Yang Jun-hyuk.

“Yoo is best known for the combination of exotic Asian looks and a Westernized body. As a representative actress of Korea, Yoo was picked to attend the event,” a spokesperson from MLB Korea said.

Yoo’s passion for baseball and her regular community service work are also thought to have led to her selection as a chaperone.

The American League will face the National League players at the 83rd All-Star Game, which will be televised nationally by Fox Sports.

Photos of the event, as well as promotional merchandise featuring Yoo and the other Korean entertainers, will be put on sale in Korea after the game. Proceeds will benefit Yang’s charity.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:03 PM | Show all posts
July 10

Lee Chae-young decides to shut down Twitter

Actress Lee Chae-young’s last tweet on July 10, just before she shut down her account for good was “I shouldn’t tweet. I don’t know why everything I say gets blown out of proportion…how annoying.”

Lee, who had been a fervent Twitter user, has decided to tweet no more following an overreaction from netizens the day before when she made the comment, “I will turn off my heart.”

Many speculated that the 26-year-actress was contemplating suicide and it was the main topic of gossip online for many hours.

Later on Lee justified her post by saying that it was a metaphorical statement and that she was shocked at how her fans and sticky-beaked netizens came to the conclusion that she meant to harm herself.

Despite the fact that the SNS had often been her main tool for communicating with fans, Lee thought it was a good idea to deactivate.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:05 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2012

Choi Daniel to replace Kim Moo-yul

Choi Daniel has replaced Kim Moo-yul for the lead role in the movie “AM11:00.”

The announcement came on July 10, just hours ahead of the film’s good luck celebrations attended by cast and crew.

“Filming was to begin in less than a week; Kim Moo-yul’s dismissal was therefore a big deal as they needed someone to replace him as quickly as possible,” said a spokesperson from the movie.

Apparently, the movie people had a lot of convincing to do before Choi decided to get on board the project.

Choi's ties to the director Kim Hyun-seok are thought to be a crucial factor in the actor sealing the deal.

The two worked together on Cyrano Agency back in 2010 -- the film was a stepping stone into the spotlight for Choi.

AM11:00 is a sci-fi thriller about a situation that unfolds in the lives of researchers when a time machine malfunctions.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:06 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2012

Cha Seung-won to give acting lecture

Cha Seung-won will give a special lecture on acting to an audience of aspiring youth next month.

Seoul Art College announced on Monday that on Aug. 9, Cha will speak at the school’s sixth annual Youth Acting Camp at a segment entitled “The Road To Becoming an Actor.”

Ryu Seung-ryong will also speak at the event in the segment “First-Class Acting Skills.”

Students who want to take part in the seminars can register through the school’s Web site by Aug. 9.

Cha, 42, is one of the Korean public’s favorite actors. Over the years he has starred in hit dramas such as “Body Guard” (2003), “Athena: Goddess of War” (2011) and last year’s “The Greatest Love” alongside Kong Hyo-jin.

To generate publicity for his latest drama, a cafe in Shibuya, Tokyo, was rented and decorated with promotional posters for the show.

Cha will hold a fan meeting in a bid to win over more fans at “The Greatest Love for You” fan meet on July 28 in Tokyo.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:09 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2012

Nam Gyu-ri returns in new KBS show

Singer-turned-actress Nam Gyu-ri will return to television in the KBS special “Butcher Barber.”

Nam will star alongside Park Sung-woong in the drama about a woman who tries to flee a loan shark by going into hiding at the house of an assassin posing as a barber. Nam will play the female lead, Mija, while Park will play the barber in the special feature to be broadcast on July 22.

“The atmosphere on the set is so much fun,” Nam said. “I’m taking in every little detail about the character in order to play the role of Mjia to perfection.”

Other actors in the drama include Cho Dal-hwan, Choi Seung-kyeong and Lee Chul-min.

As soon as filming for the one-day program ends, the 27-year-old star will start shooting for the full-length drama “Haeundae Lovers,” which will debut on Aug. 13 on KBS.

Nam rose to fame with the K-pop female trio SeeYa in 2006.

A dispute over her contract with the group’s management prompted Nam to leave the trio in 2009.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:11 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2012

Actor Kim Ji-hoon To Be Released From The Military
KBS Global

After 21 months, actor Kim Ji-hoon will finally be finishing his mandatory military duties as a Korean male.

According to High Star Entertainment on July 10th, Kim will be released on the morning of the 12th in Yongsan of Seoul.

After debuting through the drama "Loving You" in 2002, the star has been slowly making a name for himself through other steady projects like "Why Did You Come To My ouse?", "Dating Marriage", "Pick A Star For Me", etc.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:16 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2012

Miss A's Su-zy Picks Up 1 Million Twitter Fans
ChosunIlbo

Miss A's Su-zy eked out a new online record Friday by racking up 1 million Twitter followers, according to her management agency JYP Entertainment.

"Su-zy became the first Korean female to have one million followers," a spokesman of the agency said, adding that she "ranked ninth among Twitter users in terms of followers in Korea, becoming the first female to fall inside the top 10."

The 18-year-old singer and actress said, "I can't believe it. I owe it all to all the support and love of my fans."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2012 01:51 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2012
ChosunIlbo

Actress Shin Se-kyung poses at a press event for her new film in Seoul on Monday. /Newsis

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

29-5-2024 03:16 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.070870 second(s), 41 queries .