Register

ADVERTISEMENT

12Next
Return to list New
View: 3861|Reply: 25

What is success to you?

[Copy link]
Post time 8-5-2007 01:09 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
What is Success and How Do We Achieve It?

Maria Nemeth gives this definition of success: "Doing what you said you would do, with ease".
"Doing what you said you would do" is currently not achieved by the majority of the human race especially politicians! Doing it with ease is achieved by even fewer and requires making the most of the subconscious mind.
Jim Rohn argues that success is just a few simple disciplines practised daily.
The power of daily discipline is HUGE. Because the discipline is practised daily the effect is cumulative. The good practice is carried out 365 times a year with, perhaps, a few lapses.
It cannot fail to have tremendous influence. Once the discipline becomes a daily habit, it can be forgotten about until the rewards start coming in.
The writer who writes every day has written well over 300 pages by the end of the year. If he or she does not write every day they lose momentum and inspiration. If they keep up the writing (even just a few words a day) a magnet for relevant thoughts develops.
The practice of daily disciplines alone can change our lives totally. Another benefit of daily disciplines is that they quickly create habits and habits create character.
A great quote by Jim Ryun, the American Athlete, is as follows
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going"
Many successful people stress the importance of action in achieving success.
Michael Masterson of the Ezine "Early to Rise" writes:"Action is the key to success, and failure to act is the reason most people will never achieve the kind of success they dream about"
Another approach to achieving success is to stay cool about it. Just get on with doing what you think is important and what you love to do.
Peter Vidmar explains how he achieved success at the Olympic Games:
"There's only two things I had to do to win the Olympic gold: Train when I wanted to, and train when I didn't."
This is possibly my favourite quote of all time. It sums up the essence of success and the will power and discipline necessary to achieve it. Sometimes training will be easy but sometimes it will take effort because one really does not feel like training. This is simple and beautifully easy to understand.
Another quote I like is concerned with the kind of success which depends on people liking your work or product. Don't worry about whether they will like your work. Just do your best and leave the liking or disliking up to them.
Mike Litman comes up with golden statements frequently. Here is just one of them:
"The biggest secret of success in life is: You don't have to get it right; you just have to get it going. Perfectionism can kill success. We never get going because we are always waiting to get everything just right. Instead, let's get going."
One success breeds another. Bobby Robson, now over 70, is one of Britain's most successful managers. He should know what creates success. He recently commented about his team's performances:
"Success breeds success"
This makes sense. Write one successful book and you will have the confidence to write another. A lady over 70 wrote a book about overcoming the pain of arthritis. It was a huge success to her total amazement and made hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not surprisingly she has now written two more books.
Success is a key goal for most people but it helps to have a clear idea of what success means to you. I hope this article will have shed some light on possible definitions of success and provided some ideas about how you can achieve your kind of success.

John Watson is an info publisher on the internet and a martial arts school owner.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 8-5-2007 03:40 PM | Show all posts
success is 'failing to feel fail'...

Use magic Report

Post time 8-5-2007 04:22 PM | Show all posts
I see that success is the courage;determination and devotion to stand up when you fall......

"the reason I succeed is because I fail, fail again and fail again... " michael Jordan

"what people see is 1% of my success; what people do not see is 99% of my failure" Honda

But what people see now about success is financial capability....

You can be a successful scientist.. nobel prize... but to the public you are still no body.....

you are somebody if you have $$$$

Have you ever heard people comparing Stephen Hawking with Bill Gate as who is more successful??

I don`t think so...

But I respect Stephen Hawking more than Bill Gates.....

Why? Bill Gates stands up from failing a university...

Stephen Hawking stands up again after suffers the illness where he could not even move...

But he uses his brain as much as he can and he never give up......

To many people he is same other handicap... but what I see he is one great and bright guy indeed

two thumbs up for stephen hawking

b(^_^)d

[ Last edited by  wei_loon5063 at 9-5-2007 05:56 AM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 9-5-2007 06:05 AM | Show all posts
success is manage to get what you want in your life

Use magic Report

Post time 9-5-2007 08:00 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mba at 9-5-2007 06:05 AM
success is manage to get what you want in your life

What do you want in life then??
MOney???

Sometimes I watch back the movies from 1980`s..... I see the peoples back then desire less than we do while we have more than they had....

I am wondering... what do we want actually in life??

Besides the typical.... education, house, car, financial freedom........

what else?? something more holistic........

many would say eternal bliss in after life.....

People nowadays seems like have bigger appetite..... blind appetite.....

satisfy their needs with material stuffs.....

Use magic Report

Post time 9-5-2007 02:38 PM | Show all posts
"The biggest secret of success in life is: You don't have to get it right; you just have to get it going. Perfectionism can kill success. We never get going because we are always waiting to get everything just right. Instead, let's get going."

powerful words. aku agree dgn kenyataan ini.

don't try to be perfect, don't even think of it. think of giving our best!!!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 9-5-2007 07:16 PM | Show all posts

Reply #6 cokkodok's post

I totally agree with you....

Perfectionism implies insecurity... bec u dont allow urself to make mistake...
You may miss the best experience/lesson from a mistake that you did...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-5-2007 07:56 PM | Show all posts
What rational behaviors are needed to overcome perfectionistic tendencies?

To overcome perfectionism one needs to:

• accept self as a human being
  • forgive self for mistakes or failings
  • put self back on the wagon immediately after falling off
  • accept that the "ideal'' is only a guideline or goal to be worked toward, not to be achieved 100%
  • set realistic and flexible time frames for the achievement of a goal
  • develop a sense of patience and to reduce the need to "get it done yesterday''
  • be easier on oneself; setting unrealistic or unreasonable goals or deadlines sets you up for failure
  • recognize that the human condition is one of failings, weakness, deviations, imperfections, and mistakes; it is acceptable to be human
  • recognize that one's backsliding does not mean the end of the world; it is OK to pick oneself up and start all over again
  • develop an ability to use "thought stopping'' techniques whenever you find yourself mentally scolding yourself for not being "good enough''
  • visualize reality as it will be for a "human'' rather than for a "super human''
  • learn to accept yourself the way you are; let go of the ideas of how you "should be''
  • enjoy success and achievement with a healthy self-pride, and eliminate the need for self deprecation or false humility
  • learn to enjoy success without the need to second guess your ability to sustain the achievement
  • reward yourself for your progress, to reinforce your efforts to change even when progress is slight or doesn't meet up to your idealistic expectations
  • love yourself; to believe that you deserve good things
  • to eliminate unrealistic expectations and the idea that you are infallible
  • visualize yourself as "winning'' even when it takes more energy, and more perseverance, than what you had planned
  • let go of rigid, moralistic judgments of your performance and to develop an open, compassionate understanding for the hard times, obstacles, and temptations
  • be flexible in setting goals and be willing to reassess your plan from time to time to keep things realistic
  • be open to the idea that you will be successful in your efforts to change, even if you are not "first,'' "the best,'' "the model,'' "the star pupil,'' 'the exemplar,''  "the finest''
  • realize that the important thing is to be going in a positive direction

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 9-5-2007 08:03 PM | Show all posts
Perfectionism is a Pain in the Butt
BY ARLENE HARDER, MA, MFT
I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-5-2007 08:25 PM | Show all posts
A POEM FOR THOSE OVER FIFTY, OR MAYBE SIXTY IF YOU'RE LUCKY
My face in the mirror
Isn't wrinkled or drawn.
My house isn't dirty.
The cobwebs are gone.
My garden looks lovely.
And so does my lawn.
I think I might never
Put my glasses back on.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 15-5-2007 05:15 PM | Show all posts
One never learns by sucess. success is the plateau that one rests upon to take breath and look down from upon the straight and difficult path, but one does not climb upon a plateau..!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-5-2007 08:16 AM | Show all posts
Success is when I'm fully prepared and ready on what I should and must be . As for the outcome, its beyond my control so no need to worry.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 20-5-2007 12:48 AM | Show all posts

Reply #7 milo_888's post

somehow perfectionism is good to build up competition....dont u think so?
sometimes i am afraid to be complacent with what i am, afraid that i will be left out in the society.

so...perfectionism is just like a benchmark to put u on a level...like setting up a par to compete and work with those who had the same ability as u....

dont u think? just my notion when we talk about perfectionism.........

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2007 12:11 AM | Show all posts
No pain, no gain...

Success is when you feel no pain?

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2007 01:57 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by redsinner at 20-5-2007 12:48 AM
somehow perfectionism is good to build up competition....dont u think so?
sometimes i am afraid to be complacent with what i am, afraid that i will be left out in the society.

so...perfection ...

IMHO, there is no absolute perfection. There is a degree of achievement though.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2007 08:36 AM | Show all posts
When one has achieved financial freedom, he/she is successful.
I am refering to financial success. This is what everyone is chasing after.
No money. no talk.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-5-2007 08:47 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SONofODIN at 22-5-2007 08:36 AM
When one has achieved financial freedom, he/she is successful.
I am refering to financial success. This is what everyone is chasing after.
No money. no talk.

What if one has all the money in the world yet no health and suffers greatly from an illness that no amount of money can help ease the pain , still succesful in your opinion ?

[ Last edited by  blastoff at 22-5-2007 08:51 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2007 08:47 AM | Show all posts

Reply #16 SONofODIN's post

how about freedom of speech when lips are tightened and minds are enclosed??
would they be happy even though with lots of money on their hands?

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2007 08:48 AM | Show all posts

Reply #15 Agul's post

degree of achievement...yes, point well taken and thats when u can measure success

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2007 09:02 AM | Show all posts
Didn't you guys read my post properly? I was refering to financial success.

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Mari Tepek Gif Picture V.7
tariMari Tepek Gif Picture V.7
Views : 71589 Replies : 2932
Hanis Haizi Misqueen, Babutam, Nwantiti V79
syitaeyqaHanis Haizi Misqueen, Babutam, Nwantiti
Views : 161471 Replies : 3924
Ketua COVID-19 Di AS Dr. Anthony Fauci  Mengaku Peraturan Penjarakan Sosial 6 kaki ‘Hanya Rekaan, Tanpa Bukti Saintifik’.Anda terpedaya?
YgBenarKetua COVID-19 Di AS Dr. Anthony Fauci
Views : 19524 Replies : 76
Carta Official Muzik Muzik 39 (2024)
fadz84Carta Official Muzik Muzik 39 (2024)
Views : 26186 Replies : 195
Transfer aset trading?
KogoromouriTransfer aset trading?
Views : 5003 Replies : 4
Tyra
aaanf14Tyra
Views : 4132 Replies : 15
[KUIZ PERUBATAN MINGGUAN VOL. 7]: Mudah aje, ilmu harian! VOL.7
ipes2[KUIZ PERUBATAN MINGGUAN VOL. 7]: Mudah
Views : 102603 Replies : 2875
Want to tap into the exciting world of sports betting?
peterkester96Want to tap into the exciting world of s
Views : 4532 Replies : 1
‘Renovate Rumah Boleh, Beli Tudung Tak Boleh’ – Disindir Netizen Di TikTok, Syamimia Respon ‘Wah Cantik Bahasa’
dio5774‘Renovate Rumah Boleh, Beli Tudung Tak
Views : 14008 Replies : 97
Walaupun KKM kata rakyat Malaysia gemok tetapi kajian tunjuk wanita Malaysia Ke-6 Paling Cantik Di Asia, Atasi Singapura & Thailand.Acik forum bangga?
YgBenarWalaupun KKM kata rakyat Malaysia gemok
Views : 8212 Replies : 54

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

12-6-2024 08:54 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 1.063881 second(s), 53 queries .