CariDotMy

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: deaf4ever

- B E R I TA _ H A R I _ I N I ( 2 0 0 4 )

Close [Copy link]
Post time 15-7-2004 08:58 AM | Show all posts
Super spur to healthy eats
McDonald's denies that the addition of healthier options on its menus was sparked off by the movie Super Size Me. It doesn't matter. Consumers are benefiting now

By Sherwin Loh

JEAN NG was queueing at McDonald's Toa Payoh Central outlet over the weekend when an employee asked her to buy an apple.

Burger binge: A 30-day McDonald's diet caused Spurlock to put on 12kg; his liver almost failed and his sexual appetite was affected.
'I was surprised. At first I thought it was free,' says the 24-year-old publicist who said no to the 50-cent fruit.

In recent months, the fast-food chain has been adding healthier options like low-fat yogurt and salads to the menus of its 129 restaurants, six drive-throughs and seven McCafes islandwide.

The move follows a global initiative from the American head office to be more attuned to consumers' preferences.

Last year, the corporation faced and won two United States lawsuits which blamed its food for causing obesity.

Nearly one-third of Americans are obese. This has been attributed to various factors, from rising affluence - teens have more pocket money to eat out - to restaurants serving bigger portions.

But, arguably, nothing has fleshed out the ballooning problem more dramatically than Morgan Spurlock's film, Super Size Me.

In the 97-minute documentary, which premiered in Sundance on Jan 17 and opened here on July 8, the 33-year-old American film-maker went on a 30-day McDonald's diet.

He says, in a phone interview from New York, where he lives: 'The obesity epidemic is continuing to grow at an astronomical rate. I wanted to create a film that would deal with this issue, that would be accessible and entertaining to people.'

While it has been lauded and earned US$10 million (S$17 million) so far in America, some have also described his efforts as irresponsible, sensationalist and gimmicky.

==============================================

MORE CAN BE DONE

An apple a day...: McDonald's in Singapore has added apples, low-fat yoghurt and salads to its menu.
MCDONALD'S also e-mailed to Life! articles that contradict the movie's findings.

In one, American film-maker Soso Whaley claims to have lost 4.5kg by following Spurlock's McDiet over 30 days.

However, Spurlock has pointed out previously that Whaley works for Competitive Enterprises Institute, a Washington, DC group that lobbies for the food industry.

The other two people, Australian journalist Imre Salusinszky and New Zealander Paul Jeffery, said they lost weight after adopting a simplified McDonald's diet.

Spurlock does not know them but is taking a philosophical attitude. He tells Life!: 'I think it's fantastic. This film is having an incredible impact. It's furthering the discussion, and from this, more change is going to happen.'

On July 1, McDonald's started a coupon promotion here, charging $4.90 for 20 pieces of McNuggets, instead of the normal $7.70.

Mr Chan, who denies that this was done in response to the movie, instead reminds customers that they have the power to eat well.

They can customise burgers by asking for more vegetables and request for no or less salt in fries.

'Obviously, Spurlock chose not to take into account any of the nutritional information available at McDonald's,' he adds.

In the movie, Spurlock looks for the pamphlets but can find only one outlet which has them readily available.

In Singapore, they have been available since the early 1980s.

At the end of the day, how the chips fall between McDonald's and Spurlock is largely inconsequential. Consumers owe it to themselves to make informed choices and not only when it comes to fast food.

After all, food laden with cholesterol and fat is not only confined to burger joints.

Char kway teow with lard and laksa with coconut milk present health hazards too.

Mrs Magdalin Cheong, chief dietitian of the Dietetics And Catering Department at Changi General Hospital, advocates eating in moderate amounts.

Her advice on fast food is to not upsize orders, avoid the fries and opt for salads, juice and milk.

But Spurlock, who compliments McDonald's for making changes, hopes it can do more.

'I think they've made very small, baby steps. The elimination of super-sizing is a great step. Its rolling out of healthier menu items is another step.

'But more needs to happen, in getting information to the consumers, of getting them aware.'

==============================================

No Macs for now

Burp!: Spurlock's had his fill of burgers. After a macrobiotic detox, his health is back to normal.

SIXTEEN months after Morgan Spurlock finished his last McDonald's meal for his documentary Super Size Me, nothing from the Golden Arches has touched his lips.

'I love a good cheeseburger so I try to avoid most fast-food restaurants,' he explains with a laugh over the phone from London, where he is promoting the US$65,000 (S$109,200) documentary.

'I'm not saying never. Maybe 10 years down the road, I'll actually want a Big Mac. But not right now.'

During his 30-day McDiet, he ate only McDonald's food, and would try everything on the menu once. His limit was three square meals a day and he would only super-size meals if asked.

In the end, the West Virginian native put on 12kg and watched his liver teeter on the brink of failure.

His sexual appetite also waned, much to the chagrin of his vegan chef-girlfriend Alexandra Jamieson.

But his efforts have not been in vain.

'We get lots of e-mail and letters every day by people who are very affected by the film,' says Spurlock.

'That was my greatest goal, to create a project that would make people think about the way they eat and live.'

Sundance also rewarded his efforts with the Best Documentary Director award this year. He also picked up the MTV Newsocsrize at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival.

The movie has grossed over US$10 million since it opened in the United States in May.

'McDonald's doesn't want to talk to me. They want to talk to the press now, about how this film is so unrealistic.

'They want to paint a picture of how this movie doesn't represent all the choices that McDonald's has.'

After eight months on a macrobiotic detox, things are back to normal for Spurlock.

'All my body functions have returned to normal. My sex life is back to the way it was. And she's pretty happy about it too,' he says, referring to Jamieson, who is beside him during the interview.

So why hasn't he married her?

'I've got a perfectly good relationship. Why would I want to go and get married?' he replies with a laugh.

Then he adds: 'You know what, I have to go think about that. But I do agree with you, she is pretty fantastic.'

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

matz_rockz This user has been deleted
Post time 15-7-2004 09:07 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by deaf4ever at 13-7-2004 08:08 PM:
korang tahu kan, suratkabar Berita Harian last week, kecoh pasal satu keluarga melayu ni pergi court, berebut harta arwah bapak dorang...

ada a few adik beradik bawak kes pergi court cakap pemba ...

my parents itu hari cakap...if anything happen to them....jual rumah bagi sama rata.divide among your adik beradik.kalau ikut cara islam...the boys get more share.i told them,no problem with me.....i love my sister...no sweat bagi sama rata.takkan  pasal $40k ko nak bergaduh....and buang your blood ties.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 15-7-2004 11:57 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by dilah21 at 15-7-2004 08:58 AM:
Super spur to healthy eats
McDonald's denies that the addition of healthier options on its menus was sparked off by the movie Super Size Me. It doesn't matter. Consumers are benefiting now
[img ...

aku tak paham logik McDonalds promote healthy diet ni...;)
pada aku, ni lagi satu marketing strategy dorang nak kontrol food market...nf:nf:

kalo aku pegi McDonalds, aku nak makan burger, atau fries, enjoy makan2..

kalo aku nak makan salad, fresh fruits, fruit juices, buat apa aku pegi McDonalds...
kat kedai lain lagi murah dan aku rasa lagi nutrioutious dari Mc punya...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-7-2004 12:04 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by matz_rockz at 15-7-2004 09:07 AM:

my parents itu hari cakap...if anything happen to them....jual rumah bagi sama rata.divide among your adik beradik.kalau ikut cara islam...the boys get more share.i told them,no problem with me ...

untung kalo semua family tolak ansur pasal benda2 ni, jangan bersifat tamak...

aku dah tengok sendiri benda2 gini, walau aku tak directly involve,

tapi aku sedih gile ah, adik beradik dah pangkat usia lanjut, bergaduh pasal duit tak seberapa... dah langsung takde hati perut sesama darah daging.

few years back aku ada dengar jugak, kat one of the nearby Malaysians state,
waktu orang tu meninggal, masa jenazah atas katil, katil dia roboh.
waktu tanam, jenazah lagi panjang dari lubang kubur.

lepas keluarga berunding, nak tahu kenapa bleh jadi sampai gitu cubaan dihadapi waktu kematian,
didapati mungkin waktu bagi2 harta , dia dah ambik hak orang lain...

seram woooo...jangan memain ah duit2 ni semua.......

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-7-2004 02:29 PM | Show all posts
dah ajal budak ni eh.... tapi kesian jugak la pasal budak lagi,
habis pulak masa BMT,
abis tu apsal kalo tuesday & wednesday dia light duty pasal demam,
tapi thursday dah ambik IPPT...? kesian family dia.

Singapura : 19 Julai 2004   
  Mudah cetak  | E-mel
REKRUT NS MENINGGAL DUNIA SELEPAS MENGADU PENING
Oleh
Khalid Khamis

SEORANG rekrut Perkhidmatan Negara (NS) yang sedang menjalani Latihan Asas Ketenteraan (BMT) di Pulau Tekong meninggal dunia kelmarin selepas mengadu pening dan pengsan di biliknya sekitar 9 malam Khamis lalu.

Menurut Kementerian Pertahanan (Mindef), Allahyarham Muhammad Nizam Ahmad Danial, 22 tahun, dikejarkan ke Pusat Perubatan Pulau Tekong dan kemudian ke Hospital Besar Singapura (SGH) dengan menaiki helikopter untuk dirawat.

Namun, beliau disahkan meninggal dunia kelmarin sekitar 10 malam.

Mengesahkan kejadian itu menerusi e-mel, Mindef berkata pihaknya sedang menyiasat.

'Mindef sedang menjalankan siasatan untuk memastikan punca kematian Allahyarham,' katanya.

Ditemui semalam, ayah Allahyarhan, Encik Ahmad Danial Yusi, berkata beliau menerima berita buruk itu pada malam kejadian.

Encik Ahmad Danial, 46 tahun, seorang teknisyen lif, berkata:

'Bila sampai di bilik Unit Jagaan Rapi (ICU), Allahyraham sudah kelihatan teruk dan bergantung pada mesin penyokong pernafasan.

'Para doktor cuba menyelamatkannya tetapi selepas menjalankan imbasan otak, mereka mengesahkan otaknya sudah mati.'

Encik Ahmad Danial berkata, pegawai dan rakan-rakan anaknya memberitahunya bahawa anak sulung empat beradik itu telah menjalani ujian kecergasan jasmani individu (IPPT) pada petang Khamis tetapi tidak menunjukkan sebarang masalah pernafasan sebelum pengsan.

Menurutnya, Allahyarham yang baru sebulan menjalani BMT, diberi tugasan ringan pada Selasa dan Rabu kerana demam sebelum menjalani IPPT itu.

Beliau berkata anaknya juga mempunyai sejarah sakit semput semasa kecil.

Allahyarham dikebumikan petang semalam dengan diiringi upacara rasmi SAF dan 60 das tembakan ke udara.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-7-2004 02:50 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SweetCandy at 19-7-2004 02:40 PM:
kecianny baca berita ni, dah ajal dia

aku kalo dengar sapa2 meninggal dunia atau cedera teruk atau commit suicide masa full time NS atau reservist aku mesti sedih...
pasal its something kita semua kena buat, walaupun suka atau tak suka...

sebab tu la, kadang2 aku rasa la untuk budak2 baru masuk NS, kalo tak boleh perform to a certain level, cakap tak boleh, kalo kena stay in ke, extra training ke tak kesah la kan,
bila members lain dah book out pun, kita stay back pun takpe...
jangan kita paksa diri kita overlimit...takut bahaya...

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 19-7-2004 09:09 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by LoLiPoP at 19-7-2004 03:04 PM:

oooo

dep, ko boleh explen tak pesal arwahnya ni dapat funeral military? setau aku kan these kind only reserved for those yang, let's say, die in the line of duty..macam tgh war ke haper ke.. ...

tak silap saya,

asalkan kita tengah on duty atau training, baik polis atau army, kalo kita meninggal, akan dapat funeral cam ni... tak kesah kita budak regular ke, budak ns full time dan aku rasa budak reservist pun sama jugak...

tapi biar betul 60 kali tembak ye? buang karen je...

p.s - yang pasal fault tu, hehehehe, jarang la ada fault benda2 cam gini..

cuma yang tu hari, pasal budak ns komando tu meninggal lepas kena benam kepala dalam air, ah tu dorang publicise siap nak masuk court...

tak tahu apa cerita sebenarnya jadi...orang2 yang kena charge tu je la yang tahu.

Use magic Report

Post time 29-7-2004 09:19 AM | Show all posts
semalam ada bomb blast kat iraq....ramai yang mati.kesian ye....ramai civilians yang kena.the tv shows the survivors with their clothes rabak abis.ngeri betul....with so many dead bodies.

apa nak jadi ngan dunia kita ni ???

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 29-7-2004 09:38 AM | Show all posts
LELAKI MAUT DILANGGAR KERETA API MRT DI STESEN BISHAN
SEORANG lelaki berusia 31 tahun maut setelah terjatuh di landasan MRT dan kemudiannya dilanggar gerabak kereta api dalam kejadian di Stesen MRT Bishan semalam.

Kereta api MRT itu dalam perjalanan ke arah utara apabila kejadian berlaku pada 1.07 petang.

Kejadian dalam kesibukan waktu makan tengah hari itu menyebabkan perkhidmatan kereta api ke arah utara - antara Toa Payoh dengan Ang Mo Kio - terjejas sekitar sejam.

Menurut syarikat Singapore MRT (SMRT), pihaknya telah menyediakan 13 bas percuma untuk mengangkut sekitar 3,600 penumpang dari Stesen MRT Toa Payoh ke Stesen MRT Ang Mo Kio.

Polis yang mengesahkan kejadian itu semalam berkata bahawa pihaknya menerima panggilan sekitar 1.10 petang.

Pasukan Pertahanan Awam Singapura (SCDF) yang menerima panggilan sekitar 1.12 petang, tiba dua minit kemudian.

Menurut SCDF, sekumpulan empat pegawainya mengambil masa lima minit untuk mengeluarkan tubuh lelaki itu daripada bawah kereta api.

Lelaki tersebut disahkan meninggal dunia pada 1.35 petang.

Tidak segera diketahui bagaimana lelaki itu terjatuh di landasan.

Maklumat mengenai kejadian itu agak terbatas kerana kamera litar tertutup di stesen itu dipercayai sedang dipertingkatkan.

Polis yang menyifatkan kejadian itu sebagai kes kematian luar biasa, masih meneruskan siasatan.

Awal Januari tahun lalu, seorang wanita berusia 25 tahun mati setelah digilis kereta api di Stesen MRT Ang Mo Kio.

Bishan lagi...yang dulu budak skola jatuh pat track yang kawan dia tolak tu pun kat Bishan kan? Kata dah pasang CCTV pat platform?

Use magic Report

Post time 29-7-2004 09:49 AM | Show all posts

Dari hari tu Chic nak post pasal ni asik lupa jer....

The New Paper - 29 Jul 2004

They lost touch, met again, found love, now...

...she's lost forever

HOLIDAY TRAGEDY IN KARIMUN

By Azhar Ghani
REPORTING FROM KARIMUN
azhar@sph.com.sg

IT'S not how he wants to remember her.

But Mr Saiful Bahari can't forget how his air stewardess fiancee, Ms Nor Wati Abu, was killed in a motorcycle accident on the Indonesian island of Karimun on Sunday.

The 25-year-old Singaporean technician is haunted by the memory.

Yesterday, when The New Paper team met him at the Tanjong Balai police station in Karimun, he looked spent.

Friends say he is usually bubbly.

But the capoeira (a Brazilian martial art) enthusiast was subdued and haggard yesterday.

He has been held at the police station since the accident pending police investigations.

Instead of being held in the lock-up, he's in the mushollah (Muslim prayer hall) within the station.

But the serenity of his surroundings hasn't brought him peace. He is tormented by the memory of that fatal motorcycle ride.

He said: 'I keep playing the scene over and over again in my mind. I keep thinking we shouldn't have gone out that day.

'I keep wishing we hadn't come here at all. I wish everything can be erased and rewritten.'

His parents are doing all they can to help him cope.

With the blessing of the police, they have arranged to have someone accompany him while he's still being held.

On days when his 50-year-old cleaner mother, Madam Suah Mawi, isn't free to go to Karimun, family and friends in Tanjong Balai would be there.

Yesterday, when The New Paper visited him, his 54-year-old taxi driver father - who's divorced from his mother - was also there to lend emotional support to the eldest of three siblings.

Madam Suah knows how badly he has suffered.

HYSTERICAL AT HOSPITAL

She had seen him go hysterical - screaming out the name of his dead fiancee repeatedly - at the hospital that the couple were taken to after the accident.

Said Madam Suah: 'We're worried that he might think silly thoughts if left alone. If there's someone to talk to him, he'll be able to take his mind off the accident and his pending police case.'

Around company, Mr Saiful was able to coax beautiful memories of his fiancee from under the weighty cloak of his grief.

He even managed a smile when he recalled the nicknames the two lovebirds had for each other.

He was her 'kambing kemek' ('squashed goat' in Malay, probably because he liked to keep a goatee) and she was his 'long chin' (on account of her distinctive facial feature).

He rattled off important milestones during their courtship, like the day they went steady (Apr 17, 2001), and the day she started work as an Emirates air stewardess (Apr 4, 2002).

And he remembers the day that he met her again after a long separation - they had first met in Primary 1 at Bukit Batok's Dazhong Primary - like it was only yesterday.

He said: 'I was then in national service, and she was working at a hotel. I was helping out my uncle at his prata shop when she came in for supper after a night of partying. She recognised me immediately and we started talking like we hadn't parted.

'Not long after that, we decided to go steady.'

Their relationship grew stronger, and it even withstood the long separations once she became an air stewardess in 2002.

Each time the Dubai-based stewardess touched down in Singapore, the couple would make up for lost time.

They went to the movies - making compromises as his preference for action clashed with her taste for romances - and went dancing the night away at clubs.

And, sometimes, they would steal away for quick getaways in the region - just like the one to Karimun that ended in tragedy.

But even though his face lightened as he recalled those moments, there could be no question about his grief and pain.

Despite assurances from his parents that Miss Nor Wati's parents have accepted her passing, Mr Saiful still feels that he owes them an apology.

He said: 'I didn't get to see them when they came here to collect her body. I guess at that time, they were too upset to even want to see me.

'When I called them later, they sounded all right. They even asked my mother to do all she can to get me out quickly.

'Still, I feel that I need to have a heart-to-heart talk with them to lay everything to rest.'

If he had a choice though, this wouldn't be the kind of closure he would have preferred.

'We were planning to get married next year,' he said.

'We would have come full circle then, meeting and losing touch, before meeting again and falling in love. It would have been the perfect ending.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He had helmet, she didn't

HE was wearing a helmet and she was not. The bike they rented came with only one helmet.

They had been out to buy some crackers and kuehs (Malay cakes) at the local market when the accident happened - just two days after they went to Karimun with Mr Saiful's family.

At about 10am on Sunday, the couple were heading back to the home of the family friend they were staying with.

According to Mr Saiful, he was overtaking a stationary van when an oncoming lorry allegedly hit the bike.

The lorry dragged Ms Nor Wati some distance before stopping.

The couple were taken to a hospital by a passer-by in his vehicle, but Miss Nor Wati died on the way.

Mr Saiful had lacerations on the upper part of his right arm and dressing on his right shin when The New Paper saw him.

Tanjong Balai police chief Mohammad Jufri said: 'The accident happened when the motorcycle was overtaking on a narrow two-lane road.'

'Both the motorcycle rider, who didn't have a valid licence, and the lorry driver are being detained pending investigations.

'We hope to have a hearing in a week's time.'

Use magic Report

Post time 29-7-2004 09:59 AM | Show all posts

Ni dari Berita Harian hari ni....

Singapura : 29 Julai 2004   
  Mudah cetak  | E-mel
'SAYA BELUM BOLEH TERIMA TUNANG SAYA SUDAH TIADA'
Selendang hitam jadi kenangan tragedi di Karimun

Oleh
Azahar Mohammad

SELENDANG hitam yang kali terakhir dipakai Allahyarhamha Norwati Abu, menyimpan seribu kenangan pahit yang terus menghantui tunangnya.

Setiap kali memandangnya, Encik Saiful Bahari, 25 tahun, seperti terpanggil mengingati kemalangan ngeri yang meragut nyawa tunangnya itu.

Dalam kemalangan di Jalan Baran Satu, Tanjung Balai, Karimun, Ahad lalu itu, Allahyarhamha Norwati, 25 tahun, digilis dan diheret sebuah trak sejauh 20 meter selepas beliau tercampak daripada motosikal sewa tunangnya yang terbabas.

'Saya tak boleh terima hakikat bahawa Norwati telah pergi buat selama-lamanya. Ketawanya, senyumannya dan manjanya sering bermain-main di fikiran saya. Semuanya berlaku seperti satu mimpi,' ujar Encik Saiful ketika ditemui di surau Ibu Pejabat Polis Karimun, semalam.

Ibu Encik Saiful, Cik Suah Mawi, 50 tahun, seorang pekerja pembersihan, berkata beliau menemani anaknya itu, hasil perkongsian hidup dengan bekas suaminya, Encik Sarbon Khan, kerana bimbang dia tertekan.

Jenazah Allahyarhamha Norwati, seorang pramugari syarikat penerbangan Emirates, telah selamat dikebumikan di sini Isnin lalu.

Encik Saiful, yang cedera ringan di kaki dan tangan, kini ditahan polis pulau tersebut untuk membantu siasatan.

Cik Suah yang bercuti bersama Encik Saiful, adiknya, Encik Mohammad Farhan, 21 tahun, dan Norsayhira, 14 tahun di Tanjong Balai buat pertama kali, berkata:

'Dia pengsan-pengsan di hospital kerana tak dapat menahan sebak kerana kehilangan tunangnya yang tercinta.'

Bagi Encik Saiful, teknisyen di Marsiling Lane, kejadian ngeri yang menimpa Allahyarhamha turut mengga mit ingatan terhadap pertemuan mereka yang pertama selepas terputus apabila Allahyarhamha meneruskan persekolahan di Sekolah Menengah Boon Lay dan beliau di Sekolah Menengah Shuqun selepas bersama menuntut di Sekolah Rendah Dazhong.

'Pada waktu itu (10 April 2001) saya sedang menjalani perkhidmatan negara dan beliau bekerja di Hotel Goodwood. Saya sedang membantu pak cik saya di sebuah kedai roti perata apabila Norwati tiba untuk makan malam,' ujarnya.

Walaupun mereka mempunyai perwatakan berbeza - Encik Saiful gemar kegiatan luar manakala Cik Norwati lebih suka kegiatan sosial - kedua-duanya sering mengadakan kegiatan bersama.

'Norwati pantang dicabar orangnya. Itulah sebabnya walaupun beliau takut dengan ketinggian, beliau masih terus menjadi pramugari kerana telah dicabar,' ujar Encik Saiful lagi.

Walaupun mereka pernah berpisah beberapa kali kerana berlaku perselisihan, kedua-duanya sering rujuk kembali dan merancang untuk bernikah Disember tahun depan.

'Saya tidak sangka perpisahan kali ini ialah untuk selama-lamanya,' ujarnya sambil mengenggam erat selendang Allahyarhamha.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2004 10:43 PM | Show all posts
korang baca pasal ni?

mungkin kita cuma dengar dari satu pihak je, tapi kalau betul manageress italian restoran ni cakap cam yang diceritakan, teruk ah deytu... customer is always right walaupun macam nak debik je customer tu dalam hati.

Cheesed off by encounter at Italian restaurant

THERE is an old saying that the customer is always right. But it seems this rule is not for Pasta Fresca, an Italian restaurant along Bukit Timah Road.

My wife and I were there on July 17 and, among other things, we ordered mozzarella cheese and a $59 bottle of Chianti. The cheese was tasteless, hard and rubbery. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she responded: 'Would you like some salt and pepper on it?'

When the manageress came to our table, she asked: 'Is this the first time you have had mozzarella cheese?... It comes from Italy. The owner is Italian. You have offended the chef.'

When the wine arrived it was freezing cold. When I questioned this, saying red wine should be served at room temperature, the manageress said: 'We keep the wine in the wine cooler because wine does not keep well in Singapore's climate.'

She walked away when I said: 'You mean to say that every restaurant and wine store in Singapore has to keep red wine refrigerated?'

I put the mozzarella aside. When it came time to settle up, I told the manageress that I would not pay for it as a matter of principle.

That drew another barrage of insults: 'If you do not have the money I will pay it out of my own pocket. You have obviously never had 'original' mozzarella cheese before. You must normally eat in hawker centres so you can't know what original mozzarella cheese tastes like. You should keep to hawker centres... Can I have a photo so that I will recognise you if you ever come back?'

When she returned with the bill the charge for the mozzarella cheese was deducted, but as a parting gesture she threw it on the table.

As a world traveller, I do know something about international cuisine. There is no such thing as 'original' mozzarella. There may be an original recipe somewhere in Italy where it might have been invented but each preparation is original in itself.

The correct way to make mozzarella is with water-buffalo milk but other milk will do, especially goat's milk. The essential thing is to take great care in the making and storing of this delicacy. Otherwise, it can end up hard and rubbery and completely tasteless.

My wife and I regularly go to some of the best restaurants in Singapore. Rarely have we had cause to complain but when we had a minor problem, it was always politely and quietly dealt with, as one would expect in this highly sophisticated country.

Our evening at Pasta Fresca was certainly an original experience! What a disservice to Singapore.

ALAN SHADRAKE

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2004 11:13 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by dilah21 at 30-7-2004 10:51 PM:

hmm i can never imagine a managress being so sarcastic and downright rude.. tapi maybe the writer pun dua kali lima.. provoked her? tapi mana dia nak tulis yang dia bersalah ..tapi aper pun servi ...

betul tu, mesti complainant cerita yang dia baik2 je......

tapi maybe manageress ni emotional kot, kena umpan sikit je, terus naik angin...

tapi damage is done la....    ni bukan hawker center tapi italian restoran kat bukit timah lak tu..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2004 02:48 AM | Show all posts
k, ni aku jumpa kat porum lain,
nampaknye ada yang bijak pandai pasal cheese dan wine dan tegur pasal insiden ni -
ni dia sedutan :

To:  BluEArieL unread  9 of 65  

52015.9 in reply to 52015.5  

I think both are at fault.
The staff may be rude but that customer is too much.

Mozzerella cheeze. is considered a mild flavour cheese.
It won't be strong and salty. basically the taste is plain type. Just like what you taste on pizzas. Pizza use mozzerella .
Unless you get fresh one. The most is that the flavour is slightly stronger. Buy hey, how much are they going to pay for that freshly made airflown cheeze? It also not that easily available in Italy.Anyway the italian are fine with the commercial mozzerella cheeze.

Second, If you know about wine and cheeze. No body will take mozzellera with Chianti. Chianti is a rich and complex flavour red italian wine. The wine will mask all the taste of a light flavour food. And that explain that the mozzeralla taste tasteless.
Most take white wine with cheeze. the only suitable red is the light bodied pinot noir. Chianti will go well with tomato base food like pasta with tomato base sauce.

3rd. No offence to all, but who ever take red wine in room temperature in Singapore is a idiot. The room temperature for red wine that most people read and hear about are refering to european climate. That is like 19 deg and below. It make sense to chill the red wine before drinking in singapore. For storage puprose too.
You have to try it for yourself. i tried both 19+ deg and at out 31deg+ room temperature. The cooler one does taste a tat better.

And finally, Pasta fresca is just a italian family restaurant. So don't expect fine dinning kind of scenario. If you want fine dinning, go to casa roma or Zambuca Italian Restaurant & Bar
Their website is as below.

http://www.casaroma.com.sg

http://www.zambuca.com.sg

And 1 more thing, The waitress may be rude. But you really can add salt and pepper to enhance cheeze taste. As long it can make your food taste nicer, why not? And forget about all those posers who tell you that you can't do this and that.

And for Pasta fresca, their food quality might have drop abit. But their service is still normal and reasonable. And for them to respond so rudely to that particular customer, that customer must be a difficult and unreasonable one.

And as usually. having being abroad and taste the food there don't give you the right to compare and criticise local equivelent.
There are certain ingredient that are not available here at all.
Unless you know how to cook and understand more on food.

Options  Reply

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2004 02:49 AM | Show all posts
ni lagi satu

bagus jugak, bleh belajar jugak pasal cheese dan wine ni....

To:  Heartlander- There can only be one (AltumAngel)   10 of 65  

52015.10 in reply to 52015.1  

<<When the wine arrived it was freezing cold. When I questioned this, saying red wine should be served at room temperature, the manageress said: 'We keep the wine in the wine cooler because wine does not keep well in Singapore's climate.' >>
I think this guy is some half-wit as well. Just because it says that wine has to be at room temp, it doesn't mean that it has to be at TROPICAL room temp. He obviously doesn't know his wine - because the term 'room temperature' wine means at a temp that is much, much below that in the tropical's room temp - that's why you see people serving red wine slightly chilled here.

Some more, he ordered a Chianti, which is anyway served chilled.

What a nouveau riche person, who doesn't quite know it all, yet want to talk.

Options  Reply

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2004 02:51 AM | Show all posts
hah, ni lagi satu
dah paham sikit2 dah pasal makan2 ni pun....

To:  Lyulka   13 of 65  

52015.13 in reply to 52015.9  

You are probably right..this guy is some ***** with a problem.
Mozzarella cheese at a place like Pasta Fesca is almost completely of the grade used to make pizzas or other melted cheese toppings...which moron would order mozzarella to nibble with Chianti..CHIANTI ? Poco dio !!

And yes, hasn't he heard of spice flavoured cheeses of which pepper is a popular ingredient..and BTW there is salt in almost all cheeses.

This fugger is probably so keh ang mo that the staff couldn't help but have a dig at him. If he has dined at fine restaurants all over the world he won't be talking like that in a place like Pasta Fresca.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited 30/07/2004 00:55 ET ET by Swingstar46

Options  Reply

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-8-2004 02:06 PM | Show all posts
kat life section in newspapers.....

king kong girl dies at 96.........

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-8-2004 08:59 PM | Show all posts
ha ah, paper semalam... gambar banyak jugak...

budak2 melayu pun ada jugak...

internet version takde gambar lak....

cuma artikel je...

SLICES OF S'PORE LIFE
BIKINI WEEKEND

FLOCKS OF GIRLS FLAUNT A LITTLE MORE THAN THEIR PRETTY BIKINIS AT SENTOSA AND PASIR RIS YESTERDAY
By Arul John & Hedy Khoo

IT was hot, hot, hot in Singapore yesterday. And we're not talking about the weather.

Girls in bikinis were strutting their stuff on Sentosa.

And over in Pasir Ris... more bikinis, more girls strutting.

On Sentosa, the third FHM magazine Girl Next Door contest dazzled the buff beach bods, who are no strangers to babes in bikinis.

An FHM spokesman said they'd had well over 100 entrants vying for the title.

He said judges would screen the 100 top contestants and print their photographs and personal details in a booklet to go with the next issue.

He said: 'Our readers will SMS or e-mail who they think is the most beautiful babe among the 100.

'The finals will be held later this year, and the winner will win $10,000 and a chance to appear on the cover of FHM.'

The top three yesterday also won Billabong clothing vouchers and drinks vouchers from Jim Beam.

Top of the tanned 16 finalists were marketing specialist Serene Tan, 24, and student Elyn Toh, 19.

Over at Pasir Ris, there was plenty of water around to cool things down.

Visitors to the Wild Wild Wet water theme park were treated to the sight of 47 girls frolicking and splashing about, competing to be the ZA/Roxy Ultimate Bikini Babe.

No catwalk show this - they had to slap on their ZA makeup and take the plunge.

Instead of hair and makeup artists, the lifeguards threw water to give everyone the same wet-look hairstyle - and to see if the makeup was waterproof.

The girls had their courage put to the test on the adventure rides and slides, as they fought to become the one and only Bikini Babe.

One finalist, Lorraine Boh, 19, a student, had no qualms about running around in a bikini.

SHY GIRL NO MORE

'I used to be really shy, but my mum said to me, 'No-one is looking at you, if you're not looking at them'.

'I think that's better than the 'imagine everyone is naked' theory.'

For winner Doris Kou, 23, a sales executive, nothing but a bikini will do.

One-piece swimsuits are out as she likes to be tanned all over.

What are her plans now that she has become the Bikini Babe that guys will drool over?

'I intend to go clubbing with some of my new friends from this contest,' she said.

Despite having been in the sun for more than four hours?

'My one weakness is I'm too sporting,' she giggled.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-8-2004 08:41 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by deaf4ever at 16-8-2004 08:59 PM:
ha ah, paper semalam... gambar banyak jugak...

budak2 melayu pun ada jugak...

internet version takde gambar lak....

cuma artikel je...

SLICES OF S'PORE LIFE
BIKINI WEEKEND

itu hari i went picnic,kat marine parade,saw this 2 malay girls pakai dress yang baggy...me tell my wife...ni mesti bukak,pakai swim suit....betul seh,
dorang duduk near the beach...bukak baju..tinggal swim suit yang 2 piece...lepas tu baring tarok lotion nak sun tanned...wow.....mata gue sakit
seh.........

Use magic Report

Post time 17-8-2004 09:16 AM | Show all posts
dulu and sekarang dah banyak beza,dulu kalau nak talipon my girl school mate,boleh dengar mak dia marah...ni mana punya jantan talipon.
sekarang punya budak2....boleh konci bilik bawak boyfriend/girlfriend...
macam tak ada benda gitu for the parents...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

18-6-2024 04:46 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.121024 second(s), 42 queries .