CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: seribulan

[Pelbagai] English as a measure of INTELLIGENCE...

[Copy link]
Post time 26-5-2017 11:42 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
hunny_sapik replied at 15-5-2017 04:32 PM
I beg to disagree (i'm writing in english because i'm comfortable using english to express myself -  ...

I agree with u....cos I major in construction....This is the industry where alot nationalities are in.....don't really need English sometimes cos as long u know how to draw n explain the construction. ...Then everything goes......like I said English is only a medium to get your point across better and easier among different nationalities.....

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 28-5-2017 01:13 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
No.1 agreee

Use magic Report

Post time 30-5-2017 03:54 PM | Show all posts
To me, English is a very important as it is known worldwide as a basic SOP in a terms of language. Especially grammar.
Doesn't mean you speak with a slang, you are good
If you notice, those who speak with a slang, tried too hard ( not everyone though )
so be comfortable with your language and be yourself

However, it is not a measurement of someone's intellect or capacity

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 31-5-2017 04:17 PM | Show all posts
i disagree. English is just a language, a tool, a medium to communicate.sama juga dgn bahasa2 lain yg wujud kt dunia ni. apa yg lebih penting adalah isi ketika komunikasi.

you know how to speak english, good!.it means you have an extra tool.
you know how to speak english and other languages, great! now you have more tools in the box!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2017 12:52 AM | Show all posts
Edited by lonso at 3-6-2017 12:55 AM

Bila barat mengalami zaman kegelapan, nusantara sudah terkenal dengan bahasa melayu dan orang berdagang ke tanah melayu menggunakan bahasa melayu (lingua franca). Jadi ketika itu sesiapa yang tidak pandai berbahasa melayu dianggap tak cerdik ke? macam mana pula dengan org inggeris yang masih terkapai2 dizaman kegelapan tu.. depa tak cerdik ke... ???

btw.. bahasa inggeris pun banyak jugak amik dari perkataan arab...antara perasan dengan tak perasan jek

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 10-8-2017 08:28 PM | Show all posts
As a matter of fact, English is the official language in a large number of countries yet not be the most spoken language in the world. No doubt it becomes something promising for a non-native English speaker if they could use this distinctive language as their second medium/tool to communicate especially when they are about to enter into a global workforce where English is the dominant business language.

But does that implies to those cannot speak English proficiently is not good or not intelligent enough to be part of the world? Society tends to have that stigma but for me, intelligence is about mind, the way of thinking and how people bring themselves. Native English speaker, no doubt they can speak English fluently as English is their mother tongue, but do all English people are brilliant? It is something for us to ponder...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 15-8-2017 12:09 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by Pumpkeen at 15-8-2017 12:12 AM

I am the one that voted on the fence, the only one as for now.

I unfortunately did not thoroughly read the other comments and opinions here, so I have to apologize if what Im about to say is already mentioned.

More often than not, countries with their own languages and letters have lower comprehensive and understanding of English. How so ever these countries excel in other things as proven by the South Korea and its rapidly growing technologies.

Even so, they have a very major issue in English to the extent that even in the airport and train stations, the signs that have been translated in English are very confusing that it cant be understood at all. Thousands of people pass through these signs everyday and not one sees it? Okay, maybe they're just ignorant. But how about the ones responsible making it? The bosses that need to inspect and made sure everythings perfect, as the people in the country is well known for? Are they illeterate too?

My point here is, these kind of things make them look- if I may say- dumb. Intelligence is generally the ability to learn, to understand things. I for starters totally agree that English alone cant be used as a measure of intelligence, but I too believed that it can be used as a measure of blunder- especially in cases of this magnitude. Thus is why I am seriously on the fence.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 22-8-2017 03:27 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Zaman sekolah i x pandai speaking.. maybe malu.. tapi exam english memang score a.. spm pun.. camner tu
Member class yg speaking berabuk mostly indian, chinese.. leh x score..

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 18-12-2017 02:42 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Another opinion
Measuring someones intelligence  by looking at their ability to speak in english (for non native speaker) is just as same as labelling someone is wealthy if they use iphone rather than other phones. Japan for example, a country with the most intelligent people in the world cant speak in proper english. But they proudly use their own lge.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 17-3-2018 01:44 PM | Show all posts
I think i voted wrongly

Anyway, i agree, english should not be a measure of intelligence.
In my schooling years, it's quite common for the poorer english speakers to score as high as the better english speakers.
Also, when i went for a student exchange programme in korea, most of my classmates did not know how to speak english, but they are super smart and hardworking, especially in the areas of I.T. and later on some even worked for samsung.

HOWEVER, i believe that english is essential, especially nowadays. If you have a strong grasp of english, you will have access to more information/publications/work opportunities.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 17-3-2018 11:20 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by saizeriya at 18-3-2018 09:55 AM

I've once resided in Japan where the use of English is very minimal and to one extent, English could cause their greatest anxiety. But, just look at what Japan has achieved so far with their native language as the medium of instruction, which suggests that good command of English is definitely not a measurement of one's intelligence.

I can't deny the fact that English is important because it has become the lingua franca we are familiar the most, but again, how it is associated to one is a genius when he/she uses English?

From my observation, I humbly think that our society still has a strong mindset that to look classy and intelligent, we have to converse in English. Are we less clever if we use of our own native language?

Therefore, I strongly agree that good command of English does not reflect one's intelligence and wisdom.  

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 18-3-2018 04:07 AM | Show all posts
I vote for agree, English is not about intelligence. It just a language
some of English man who can fluent speak English but they not success in life.
some people who cannot speak English are success in their life bcause of their hard working.
but if you have willing to learn English language it is more easier and bonus for you to go really far and achieve more

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2018 09:52 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Disagree with the statement 'English is a measure of intelligence'.

I use Singlish a lot when I am conversing with my colleagues, friends and family. Only when I speak to my supervisor and bosses, I speak good English.

Some of my friends always point out my grammar mistakes. They even make fun of people who speak broken English. Well people who speak broken English are no less smarter than those who can speak good English.

English, meanwhile, is simply a language. The most universally useful, accepted and respected language no doubt – but just a language nonetheless. A well-oiled English vocabulary reflects in a person a sound educational background in the language. It means that they've been brought up and groomed in a way as to be well-spoken in English. It may also reflect the person's love of English literature, language and culture. It does not, however, certify that person's level of intelligence.  

For example, Japanese people.
They speak really horrible English. But yet they are creative and innovative. Step into Daiso and u can find countless of innovation made by the Japanese. Some of the products there are really out of this world ( good and impressive). So they don't have to be extremely good in English and yet they can invent many things that benefit us.

English is a language that in a way ties all cultures together by allowing people from all around the world to understand each other. For example, a British businessman speak English to an Indian client.

English helps build businesses and relationships all around the world. Proficiency in English, therefore, enables us to communicate and interpret our ideas and opinions to people from any other culture or country. What it doesn't do is help make and cultivate those ideas.The brain cultivates those ideas and the brain speaks language of its own.

Nevertheless, u need to speak good English in today's society. If someone correct your broken English, you can accept and learn. Please don't make fun of someone's English. Correct them and point out their mistakes.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2018 04:03 PM | Show all posts
English is a necessity

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 12-7-2018 03:32 PM | Show all posts
Not really...look at the Japanese.. they survived with their own language and their technology is 10 years ahead of people who can speak English

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 22-7-2018 09:13 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I am somehow on the fence.english proficiency can be excelled by being a prodigy or mere interests. But again,english is also considered as the 'easy' language. Anyone can speak it,but the mastery and being eloquent of the language on the other hand, requires training,refinement and further studies.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-12-2018 10:44 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
English is not a measure of intelligence. It is just another language.

Language is a skill, where you need to practise a lot to master it.. Just like cooking. Being able to cook well doesn't mean that you're intelligent. It simply means that you are skilled. So if you can speak English, you are skilled in that language.

Nevertheless, I would never deny the importance of English in today's world as it is one of the languages spoken and understood by many of different nationalities.

But if you're able to pick up various languages especially in a short period of time, that could be one of the signs that you're intelligent.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 11-12-2018 08:34 AM | Show all posts
Assalammu'alaikum n selamat sejahtera.

Aihhh, disagree.  Of course we can't measure intelligence dgn language.  

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-12-2018 11:57 AM | Show all posts
Genkidesuka replied at 11-12-2018 07:34 AM
Assalammu'alaikum n selamat sejahtera.

Aihhh, disagree.  Of course we can't measure intelligence  ...

Why?

Use magic Report

Post time 11-12-2018 03:46 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
seribulan replied at 11-12-2018 11:57 AM
Why?

Rasulullah s.a.w was a genius.  Did he know how to speak English?  

Akak pernah post somewhere dlm forum ni dulu2.  Kita yg pandai lebih dari satu bahasa mesti sama mcm org yg byk ilmu - tunduklah bila makin berisi.  Nk bolot gelaran genius jugak tu.  Agak2 la kan. Jgn ingat pandai speaking tu bererti kita smart.  xD

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 01:16 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.151541 second(s), 53 queries .