Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 2796|Reply: 1

[Dunia] Ahli Parlimen Letak Jawatan Lepas Hina Golongan LGBT

[Copy link]
Post time 30-4-2017 07:18 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by hanakikan at 30-4-2017 07:27 PM

A veteran Tory MP was forced to resign last night after telling a group of students that being gay is ‘dangerous to society’.

Andrew Turner, a former Conservative Party vice-chairman, dramatically quit as MP forthe Isle of Wight just hours after details emerged of his conversation with politics students at Christ the King College in Newport.

MrTurner, 63, is also said to have told the group of A-level students homosexuality is ‘wrong’.

Tory high command acted swiftly after being alerted to the row.

Conservative chief whip Gavin Williamson rang Mr Turner to establish the facts and he was told to resign hours later.

A Tory source said: ‘We want to make clear there is no place in the party for thoseviews.’

The MP also came close to being deselected two years ago after it emerged his fiancee had left him for one of his advisers.

Mr Turner, who was an Oxford contemporary of Theresa May and her husband Philip,has held the safe Tory seat since 2001. He was due to be reselected at 4pm yesterday but the meeting was postponed until after next week’s local elections following the intervention by Tory Central Office.  

In a resignation statement last night, Mr Turner gave no explanation for his departure.

He said he had been ‘incredibly fortunate’ to represent the seat, and would support his successor as Tory candidate.

‘I am grateful for the support I have received from islanders and proud of the record that Conservatives have in delivering for the island,’ he added.

The row came just days after Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron, a committed Christian,was forced to say he does not believe gay sex is ‘a sin’ after dodging the question for days.

Mr Turner’s remarks came during a talk on Wednesday. He was asked if he would be attending the island’s gay pride event.

Student Esther Poucher, a gay rights campaigner, posted on Facebook that she had been‘truly shocked’ when he said he would not be going. She wrote: ‘He told us that he’d been invited, but wasn’t intending to go.

Andrew Turner, the Conservative MP for the Isle of Wight, was visiting Christ the King College in Newport onthe island when he allegedly made the comments.

‘This is because (and this is a direct quote) he thinks that homosexuality is “wrong”and “dangerous to society”. At this answer, I had to leave.’

She added: ‘It’s terrifying that in this age and point in our development as asociety, there are still people that can’t care enough about a person’swell being to just accept who they are.’

Esther said she was left angry upset at the alleged comment.

She said: 'I'm very angry and it is upsetting. He is someone who isrepresenting the Isle of Wight. I do not want that person representing the Island, because that opinion is not what we think here.

'Mymessage to Mr Turner is that kind of opinion should be kept to himself. We donot want to be labelled homophobic and hateful here, we want to be labelled asaccepting.'

Another student said he was ‘scared’ by the remarks.

Toby Sheard, 17, told LGBT website PinkNews: ‘The fact that we have MPs with these views in our governing party scares me that we could easily see ourselves going back into the past.’

Mr Sheard added that Mr Turner had eventually explained that his views were held ‘for a religious reason’.

At the time I was completely shocked, he was a person who was supposed to representus, who is supposed to be our voice and defend our views and he was saying that people who have elected him are a danger to society.

'It took a while to process it, that people who are in Parliament in our governing party can still have these views which I thought had died out in the 20th century,'Mr Sheard said.

Mr Turner did not respond to calls yesterday.

Dave Stewart, the Conservative leader of the Isle of Wight Council, described Mr Turner’s comments as ‘very disappointing’.

He added:‘I could not condone in any way the comments by Andrew Turner and I feel he is right to stand down. Island Conservatives are fielding several candidates in next week’s council elections who are gay and this is most certainly not anopinion that either myself or anyone else in the team of Conservative council candidates would ever support.’

Mr Turner has faced controversy before and came within a whisker of deselection at the2015 election because of the revelations about his fiancee and his adviser.Local Tories had feared the traditionally safe seat would be lost amid allegations Mr Turner had become a ‘laughing stock’ on the island.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-4-2017 07:24 PM | Show all posts
sian pakcik. kalau kat malaysia mesti dijulang2 jadi president parti

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 02:34 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.075276 second(s), 33 queries .