ADVERTISEMENT

123Next
Return to list New
View: 25497|Reply: 52

Worldwide famine soon...

Close [Copy link]
whitepig This user has been deleted
Post time 10-5-2004 08:16 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
the genie has escaped from the bottle...
the 4 horsemen of apocalypse has saddled.

get down on your knees..

Two-Thirds Of ALL Crops
In US Now GM Contaminated
By Geoffrey Lean
The Independent - UK
(First published 3-7-4)
5-10-4

More than two-thirds of conventional crops in the United States are now contaminated with genetically modified material - dooming organic agriculture and posing a severe future risk to health - a new report concludes.

The report - which comes as ministers are on the verge of approving the planting of Britain's first GM crop, maize - concludes that traditional varieties of seed are "pervasively contaminated" by genetically engineered DNA. The US biotech industry says it is "not surprised" by the findings.

Because of the contamination, the report says, farmers unwittingly plant billions of GM seeds a year, spreading genetic modification throughout US agriculture. This would be likely to lead to danger to health with the next generation of GM crops, bred to produce pharmaceuticals and industrial chemicals - delivering "drug-laced cornflakes" to the breakfast table.

The report comes at the worst possible time for the Government, which is trying to overcome strong resistance from the Scottish and Welsh administrations to GM maize.

The House of Commons Environmental Audit Committee drew attention to the problem in North America in a report published on Friday, and said the Government had not paid enough attention to it. The MPs concluded: "No decision to proceed with the commercial growing of GM crops [in Britain] should be made until thorough research into the experience with GM crops in North America has been completed and published". It would be "irresponsible" for ministers to give the green light to the maize without further tests.

Peter Ainsworth, the committee chairman, accuses the Cabinet of "great discourtesy" to Parliament by making its decision on the maize last Thursday, the day before the report came out, and plans to raise the issue with the Speaker of the House.

This week's statement by Margaret Beckett, Secretary of State for the Environment, is expected to fall short of authorising immediate planting of the maize, and provide only a muted endorsement for the technology. She will make it clear that the Government wants the GM industry to compensate farmers whose crops are contaminated. This could make cultivation uncommercial. The US study will increase the pressure on her to be tough.

Under the auspices of the green-tinged Union of Concerned Scientists, two separate independent laboratories tested supposedly non-GM seeds "representing a substantial proportion of the traditional seed supply" for maize, soya and oilseed rape, the three crops whose modified equivalents are grown widely in the United States.

The test found that at "the most conservative expression", half the maize and soyabeans and 83 per cent of the oilseed rape were contaminated with GM genes - just eight years after the modified varieties were first cultivated on a large scale in the US.

The degree of contamination is thought to be at a relatively low level of about 0.5 to 1 per cent. The reports says that "contamination ... is endemic to the system". It adds: "Heedlessly allowing the contamination of traditional plant varieties with genetically engineered sequences amounts to a huge wager on our ability to understand a complicated technology that manipulates life at the most elemental level." There could be "serious risks to health" if drugs and industrial chemicals from the next generation of GM crops got into food.

Lisa Dry, of the US Biotechnology Industry Association, said that the industry was "not surprised by this report, knowing that pollen travels and commodity grains might co-mingle at various places".

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk ... ry.jsp?story=498693

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-5-2004 07:43 AM | Show all posts

oil rich countries

also cannot buy good food.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 08:34 AM | Show all posts
er... whats wrong with GM maize?

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 09:40 AM | Show all posts
by Debmey

er... whats wrong with GM maize?

You are what you eat.

There is possible chance that the food from modificed seeds could in turn cause some unknown problem in human body. This studies are not complete because we have only started to modify food for the past 25 years (less than one generation).

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 09:49 AM | Show all posts
There is no scientific evidence to shown such linkages. Americans have been eating GM food for decades and so have we. In other words, there are absolutely no grounds at all to doubt GM food.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2004 10:11 AM | Show all posts
There is no scientific evidence to shown god exists

to u debbie,
anything american is good.
human beings can be god by playing god tinkering with genes splicing genes to create debbie out of debmey

[ Last edited by whitepig on 11-5-2004 at 10:12 AM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 11-5-2004 10:22 AM | Show all posts
Contrary to what yu said, there is scientific evidnece to prove God exists.

I'm a pro science man and science does not show that GM food is bad, period. I do not listen to the plethora of hype out there in the world.
Let me recommend a very good site on all the scientific hoax out there. You can chat with Steve Milloy, the site author. He's a great guy. www.junkscience.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2004 10:48 AM | Show all posts
yeah years ago in the 1950s .. the AMA (American Medical Association) endorsed moderate smoking as being good for health.

yeah years ago they say DDT is harmless.

and now they say genetically modified food is safe.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-5-2004 10:59 AM | Show all posts
Scientific evidence does show that smoking is harmful, I am therefore against it.

Contrary to what yu said, there is no scientific evdience to suggest that DDT is harmful. It was banned on political grounds and banning it caused millions to die of malaria.

Science has shown that GM food is safe, we should not believe otherwise unless yu can produce scientific evidence against it. Science have proven though that GM has helped us.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 11:07 AM | Show all posts
by Debmey

There is no scientific evidence to shown such linkages. Americans have been eating GM food for decades and so have we. In other words, there are absolutely no grounds at all to doubt GM food.

Hmph ... you don't know much about genetics, do you? ;)

WHAT IF they are mistaken and the problem rises a few generations from now? What are you going to do then?

Modfication to genetic levels doesn't stop in you alone, it can be carried to your children and from them to others. And there is NO reversing its effects. THAT'S what make it dangerous.

You seems to choose what you like - anything American and anything Christian seems to be OK with you, which is one of the things I dislike about you. You are closed your mind to ALL other than what you wish to believe.

Then again, maybe that's how a good Christian supposed to be. ;)

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 11:39 AM | Show all posts
What if? Why don't yu show us any evidence now?
We don't operate on 'what ifs' especially when there are no grounds to support your 'what ifs'.
i don't support or oppose GM food, i just want to be objective on this matter. We shld not ban it unless there is evidence against it and so far, ppl who oppose it have not put forth any solid case, they just say 'what if' just like you.

Use magic Report

Adm_Cheng_Ho This user has been deleted
Post time 11-5-2004 11:55 AM | Show all posts
Debmey, have you read about a shocking research that Vitamin C pill is harmful? They realised the pill we made contains antioxide without which, the vit would damage but that antioxide itself is harmful. UN is considering ban at one stage. I have the book at home.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 12:06 PM | Show all posts
Good, if evidence does show that Vit C pills are no good, then stop taking it.
However, the fact that such vit pills are not banned may mean that the benefit outweighs the harm.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 12:50 PM | Show all posts
That is precisely the contention is all about here. Matters of life is not guaranteed. We may have unforeseen consequences.

Growing GM crops is one political thing. Usually, people are given choice. Foods on sale are labelled. If there's a stage of severe shortage, I would consume GM food. So are many others. Currently, we may be facing imminent global famine. The doubt on GM food is debatable.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2004 12:58 PM | Show all posts
i won't even bother showing u any evidence,,, what if u actually read & then believe the evidence. now i don't want that to happen. i prefer you at your best position - under the coconut husk.

thanks

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 01:03 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Adm_Cheng_Ho at 2004-5-11 12:50 PM:
That is precisely the contention is all about here. Matters of life is not guaranteed. We may have unforeseen consequences.

Growing GM crops is one political thing. Usually, people are given cho ...

Contrary to logical behavior, many African countries would rather have their people starve to death than accept GM food cos its political rather than scientific or logical. Sad isn't it?

The same thing happens with DDT. It was banned due to politics and millions died as a result.

Give me GM food anytime.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-5-2004 01:12 PM | Show all posts
by Debmey

What if? Why don't yu show us any evidence now?
We don't operate on 'what ifs' especially when there are no grounds to support your 'what ifs'.  

You didn't understand my statement?

I asked, what if in the FUTURE generation, there exists some side effects from genetic modified food which we consume in this generation. In layman's terms, what are you going to do if your grandchildren get certain sickness which you didn't have due to the food you consumed when you are a small boy? What are you going to do then?

i don't support or oppose GM food, i just want to be objective on this matter. We shld not ban it unless there is evidence against it and so far, ppl who oppose it have not put forth any solid case, they just say 'what if' just like you.

Did you bother to think that by the time the evidence appears, the whole situation could get worsened?

Take environment issues for example ... West (especially US and Europe) had been dumping chemicals onto the air so much that ozone get depleted. No one bother to thing what if such thing happens in 1950s and now, it does happen and Scientists estimated that the way polution is increasing, it will be another 50 years before the World enters a Ice Age again.

One thing I hate about West is they NEVER bother thinking properly about anything before doing something. Just like what you are doing now.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 01:26 PM | Show all posts
One thing Seph, perhaps they are doing/taking  things one step at a time. If we are so fearful of everything, afraid of risks, there might not be any advancement at all. Many of them seek to rectify matters only when it arise. Programmers and Engineers also do it first rectify later. Of course, before commits to anything we do analysis & precautions to reduce if not total prevention of undesirable consequences. Future problems shall be dealt with accordingly. The reason being we need it now. Perhaps that is the crux of the move & of the discussion here.

For GM case, it is not critical stage. We still have choice. However, more & more countries are growing it pushing natural growing food to one corner. That is scary.

[ Last edited by Adm_Cheng_Ho on 11-5-2004 at 01:27 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 01:32 PM | Show all posts
Many studies have already been done on GM crops and it doesn't show up bad. Unless there is any evidence at all to suggest optherwise, why ban it?

What if? I'll tell yu about what if. Thousands have starved to death in africa  because they rejected GM food and millions have died because DDT was banned. Thats all politics, nothing to do with science at all.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2004 01:38 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Sephiroth at 2004-5-11 01:12 PM:
Take environment issues for example ... West (especially US and Europe) had been dumping chemicals onto the air so much that ozone get depleted. No one bother to thing what if such thing happens in 1950s and now, it does happen and Scientists estimated that the way polution is increasing, it will be another 50 years before the World enters a Ice Age again.

People all over the world used ozone depleting stuff, not just westerners. Please do not point fingers at others and not to ourselves.

Environmentalists are contradicting each other, some say we are experiencing global warming because of greenhouse gases, others say we are approaching ice age. Who do we believe? How is it both groups have opposite conclusions about the world? BTW, a lot of greenhouse gases comes from Asia. check out China.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 11:49 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.123234 second(s), 49 queries .