CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: seribulan

[Buku] ...Quotables @ Bookshelf ...

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 12-1-2018 10:33 AM | Show all posts

“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.”  ― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-1-2018 06:47 PM | Show all posts
Sedih buku ni- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

“Only a short time ago, I learned that people laughed at me. Now I can see that unknowingly I joined them in laughing at myself. That hurts the most.”

“I don’t know what’s worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you’ve always wanted to be, and feel alone.”

“That's the thing about human life--there is no control group, no way to ever know how any of us would have turned out if any variables had been changed.”

“How strange it is that people of honest feelings and sensibilty, who would not take advantage of a man born without arms or legs or eyes—how such people think nothing of abusing a man with low intelligence.”

“Intelligence is one of the greatest human gifts. But all too often a search for knowledge drives out the search for love. This is something else I've discovered for myself very recently. I present it to you as a hypothesis: Intelligence without the ability to give and receive affection leads to mental and moral breakdown, to neurosis, and possibly even psychosis. And I say that the mind absorbed in and involved in itself as a self-centered end, to the exclusion of human relationships, can only lead to violence and pain.”

“There are a lot of people who will give money or materials, but very few who will give time and affection.”

“Strange about learning; the farther I go the more I see that I never knew even existed. A short while ago I foolishly thought I could learn everything - all the knowledge in the world. Now I hope only to be able to know of its existence, and to understand one grain of it. Is there time?”

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 15-1-2018 02:21 PM | Show all posts
“In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. ‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me, ‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.'”
—The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 03:27 PM | Show all posts
“All I'd ever wanted was to forget. but even when I thought I had, pieces had kept emerging, like bits of wood floating up to the surface that only hint at the shipwreck below.”

― Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

Use magic Report

“And perhaps it is the greater grief, after all, to be left on earth when another is gone.”

― Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles

Use magic Report

“What a curious power words have.”

― Tadeusz Borowski, This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 15-1-2018 03:28 PM | Show all posts
“To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles.”

― T.F. Hodge, From Within I Rise: Spiritual Triumph Over Death and Conscious Encounters with "The Divine Presence"

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 03:28 PM | Show all posts
“In quoting others, we cite ourselves.”

― Julio Cortázar, Around the Day in Eighty Worlds

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 15-1-2018 03:29 PM | Show all posts
“See the world as it is, not as you wish it would be”

― E. Lockhart, We Were Liars

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 03:30 PM | Show all posts
“A strong man cannot help a weaker unless the weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.”

― James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 03:30 PM | Show all posts
“...we're dealing with two devils who both want to rule hell.”

― Ruta Sepetys, Between Shades of Gray

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 03:31 PM | Show all posts
“Love what is simple and beautiful.
These are the essentials.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Tao of Emerson the Tao of Emerson

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 03:31 PM | Show all posts
“We are made of all those who have built and broken us.”

― Atticus Poetry, Love Her Wild

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 15-1-2018 04:08 PM | Show all posts
"I don't understand it any more than you do, but one thing I've learned is that you don't have to understand things for them to be."

—A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2018 06:50 PM | Show all posts
“Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.” - Doris Lessing

“What's terrible is to pretend that second-rate is first-rate. To pretend that you don't need love when you do; or you like your work when you know quite well you're capable of better.” - Doris Lessing

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 15-1-2018 07:49 PM | Show all posts
Human beings need loyalty. It does not necessarily produce happiness, and can even be painful, but we all require devotion to something more than ourselves for our lives to be endurable. Without it, we have only our desires to guide us, and they are fleeting, capricious, and insatiable

'Being Mortal' by Atul Gawande

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-1-2018 10:17 PM | Show all posts
From my current read- The Butterfly Mosque by G. Willow Wilson

“Culture belongs to the imagination; to judge it rationally is to misunderstand its function.”

“Controversy is what mediocre people start because they can't communicate anything meaningful.”

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-1-2018 04:46 PM | Show all posts
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”

—A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-1-2018 07:56 AM | Show all posts
“It was a pleasure to burn.”
—Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-1-2018 11:59 AM | Show all posts
“The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.”
—Murphy by Samuel Beckett

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 10:16 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.097361 second(s), 50 queries .