Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: lyhmsia

Interesting/Inspirational Stories, Proverb and Saying

[Copy link]
lyhmsia This user has been deleted
 Author| Post time 8-9-2006 12:44 PM | Show all posts
Limping puppy

A store owner was tacking a sign above his door that read " Puppies For Sale". Signs like that have a way of attracting small children, and sure enough, a little boy appeared under the store owner's sign.

"How much are you going to sell the puppies for?" he asked.

The store owner replied, " Anywhere from $30 to $50."

The little boy reached in his pocket and pulled out some change. "I have $2.37," he said. "Can I please look at them?"

The store owner smiled and whistled and out of the kennel came Lady, who ran down the aisle of his store followed by five teeny, tiny balls of fur. One puppy was lagging considerably behind. Immediately the little boy singled out the lagging, limping puppy and said,

"What's wrong with that little dog?"

The store owner explained that the veterinarian had examined the little puppy and had discovered it didn't have a hip socket. It would always limp. It would always be lame. The little boy became excited.

"That is the little puppy that I want to buy."

The store owner said, "No, you don't want to buy that little dog. If you reallly want him, I'll give him to you."

The little boy got quite upset. He looked straight into the store owner's eyes, pointing his finger, and said, "I don't want you to give him to me. That little dog is worth every bit as much as all the other dogs and I'll pay full price. In fact, I'll give you $2.37 now, and 50 cents a month until I have him paid for."

The store owner countered, "You really don't want to buy this little dog. He is never going to be able to run and jump and play with you like the other puppies."

To this, the little boy reached down and rolled up his pant leg to reveal a badly twisted, crippled left leg supported by a big metal brace. He looked up at the store owner and softly replied,

"Well, I don't run so well myself, and the little puppy will need someone who understands!"

(Contributed by Victor and Diane Chew)

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 8-9-2006 12:47 PM | Show all posts
This story was extracted from Richard Bach (author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull), in his book "Illusions". (Thanks to Peter Smith for the correct attribution). It also appeared in "fortune cookie".

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great crystal river. Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs and rocks of the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and resisting the current what each had learned from birth. But one creature said at last, "I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom."

The other creatures laughed and said, "Fool! Let go, and that current you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks, and you will die quicker than boredom!"

But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks. Yet, in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more.

And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, "See a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come to save us all!" And the one carried in the current said, "I am no more Messiah than you. The river delight to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure.

But they cried the more, "Saviour!" all the while clinging to the rocks, making legends of a Saviour.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 8-9-2006 12:49 PM | Show all posts
A famous spiritual teacher came to the front door of the King's palace. None of the guards tried to stop him as he entered and made his way to where the King himself was sitting on his throne.

"What do you want?" asked the King, immediately recognizing the visitor.

"I would like a place to sleep in this inn,"
replied the teacher.

"But this is not an inn," said the King,
"It is my palace."

"May I ask who owned this palace before you?"

"My father. He is dead."

"And who owned it before him?"

"My grandfather. He too is dead."

"And this place where people live for a short time and then move on - did I hear you say that it is NOT an inn?"

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 8-9-2006 01:02 PM | Show all posts
Wisdom words of Yiddish

1.Don't look for yesterday.
2.An idle person never has time.
3.A busy person always has time.
4 Only once did the sun stand still.
5.He who waits will attain.
6.It's neither of yesterday, nor of tomorrow.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-9-2006 02:11 PM | Show all posts
This is an excerpt of an essay. Source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5552257

All my pride, love, self-esteem -- they merge into duty. There have been times I wanted to throw away everything, but duty and obligation were always there to haunt me and to keep me strong. I would think: My parents and grandparents brought me up, my country gave me shelter, my teachers spent so much time building my foundations just to have me throw it all away? No, I can't do that! I must repay all that they have done. "I must," "I should," "I have to," all those little phrases govern my life and the lives of many of my classmates. We struggle on because duty reminds us that the awaiting success is not just for us. It's for our families, our heritage and our country.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-9-2006 02:26 PM | Show all posts
A cloud envelops the world and sends down life-giving rain equally upon all the grasses, flowers, trees and medicinal herbs. Though the rain is the same, the plants, trees, herbs, etc., absorb the moisture differently and grow to varying heights according to their individual natures.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 18-9-2006 07:47 AM | Show all posts
Not one of yoiu truly believes,
      until you wish for others what you wish for yourself.
Islam

Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful
Buddhism

What is hateful to you; do not do to your neighbor.
       This is the whole Torah; all the rest is commentary.
Judaism

[ Last edited by  lyhmsia at 18-9-2006 07:52 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:06 PM | Show all posts
Three Kinds of Disciples

A Zen master named Gettan lived in the latter part of the Tokugawa era. He used to say: "There are three kinds of disciples: those who impart Zen to others, those who maintain the temples and shrines, and then there are the rice bags and the clothes-hangers."

Gasan expressed the same idea. When he was studying under Tekisui, his teacher was very severe. Sometimes he even beat him. Other pupils would not stand this kind of teaching and quit. Gasan remained, saying: "A poor disciple utilizes a teacher's influence. A fair disciple admires a teacher's kindness. A good disciple grows strong under a teacher's discipline."

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:07 PM | Show all posts
A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he felt about the tragedy on September 11th.
He said, "I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is vengeful, angry, violent. The other wolf is loving, forgiving, compassionate."
The grandson asked him, "Which wolf will win the fight in your heart?"
The grandfather answered, "The one I feed."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:09 PM | Show all posts
Interesting readings:

The Nonduality of Good and Evil:
Buddhist Reflections on the New Holy War
Website:http://www.wfdd.org.uk/articles_ ... David%20R.%20Loy%22

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:23 PM | Show all posts
We must respect other religions, even as we respect our own. Mere tolerance thereof is not enough.
Quote from Gandhi.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:26 PM | Show all posts
* The spirit of democracy cannot be imposed from without. It has to come from within.

* The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

* To believe in something, and not live it, is dishonest.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:29 PM | Show all posts
POEM BY RUMI

I"M PART OF THE LOAD

I am part of the load
Not rightly balanced
I drop off in the grass,
like the old Cave-sleepers, to browse
wherever I fall.

For hundreds of thousands of years I have been dust-grains
floating and flying in the will of the air,
often forgetting ever being
in that state, but in sleep
I migrate back. I spring loose
from the four-branched, time -and-space cross,
this waiting room.

I walk into a huge pasture
I nurse the milk of millennia

Everyone does this in different ways.
Knowing that conscious decisions
and personal memory
are much too small a place to live,
every human being streams at night
into the loving nowhere, or during the day,
in some absorbing work.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-9-2006 12:35 PM | Show all posts
Judaism

What does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly
   with your God.
(Micah 6.8)

Buddhism

Give up anger; renounce pride;
    Transcend all worldly attachments.
(Dhammapada 221)

Islam

Do not walk proudly on the earth.
(Quran 17.37)

Christianity

Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another ...
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand
  that he may lift you up in due time.
(I Peter 5.5-6)

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 08:47 AM | Show all posts
Acorn Planter, The
  by: Brian Cavanaugh, T.O.R., The Sower's Seeds

Printer Friendly Version
Comment on Article

In the 1930s a young traveler was exploring the French Alps. He came upon a vast strech of barren land. It was desolate. It was forbidding. It was ugly. It was the kind of place you hurry away from.

Then, suddenly, the young traveler stopped dead in his tracks. In the middle of this vast wasteland was a bent-over old man. On his back was a sack of acorns. In his hand was a four-foot length of iron pipe.

The man was using the iron pope to punch holes in the ground. Then from the sack he would take an acorn and put it in the hole. Later the old man the traveler, "I've planted over 100,000 acorns. Perhaps only a tenth of them will grow." The old man's wive and son had died, and this was how he chose to spend his final years. "I want to do something useful," he said.

Twenty-five years later the now-not-as-young traveler returned to the same desolate area. What he saw amazed him. He could not believe his own eyes. The land was covered with a beautiful forest two miles wide and five miles long. Birds were singing, animals were playing, and wild flowers perfumed the air.

The traveler stood there recalling the desolation that once was; a beautiful oak forest stood there now - all because someone cared.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 08:54 AM | Show all posts
ISLAM TEACHING OF COMPASSION TOWARDS ANIMAL

he Prophet (saw) was equally kind to animals. When a woman of disrepute came to him and said that she saved a thirsty cat from dying by fetching water from a pit with the help of her socks, the Prophet said Allah will pardon all your sins and you will go to paradise. The Prophet, according to one hadith described the entire creation (including humans, animals and trees and plants) as family of Allah (慳yal Allah) and said all should be treated with compassion and sensitivity.

We find in Imam Malik抯 Al-Muwatta that the Prophet once was seen gently wiping the face and mane of his horse with his gown. On being asked by his companions he explained that he was admonished by Allah for neglecting his horse. `Ali ibn Abu Tâlib used to admonish Muslims not to eat too much meat and make their stomachs graveyards for animals.

A number of Prophet抯 traditions dealing with kindness and compassion to animals are included in the authentic hadith literature. Cruelty and torturing of animals in any form is forbidden. This criterion is so absolute that even when for valid reasons man is permitted to kill an animal for food or to save himself from harm, he is enjoined to do so without causing avoidable pain or torture.

Note: I found this online. Thus, if there any of the above is wrong please do let me know.
Source: http://www.crescentlife.com/spir ... mic_perspective.htm

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 08:59 AM | Show all posts
Buddhism:
By Thich Nhat Hanh

Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrow-mindedness.

Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry. Do not take as the aim of your life fame, profit, wealth, or sensual pleasure. Live simply and share time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 09:02 AM | Show all posts
"Do not commit any unwholesome actions,
                            Accumulate virtuous deeds,
                          Tame and train your own mind."
                                Shakyamuni Buddha

WHY LEAD A SPIRITUAL LIFE?

Once the Buddha addressed his diciples thus: "Monks, it may be that ascetics belonging to other sects will ask you what is the purpose of leading a spiritual life under the Buddha.?"
        The monks remained silent.
        Then the Buddha himself gave the answer: "You should answer them: it is to understand things that should be fully understood that we lead a spiritual life under the Buddha. So what things should be fully understood? They are the five aggregates of clinging: material form, feeling, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness."
        From this incident we can see that the path laid down by the Buddha is essentially a path of understanding. The understanding aimed at is not merely conceptual knowledge or a collection of information. Rather, it is an insight into the true nature of our existence. This understanding brings liberation, the release of the mind from all bonds and fetters and issues in the cessation of suffering (Dukkha).
        The Buddha offers us the teachings (Dhamma) as a search light that we can focus on our own experience, in order to understand it in correct perspective. To understand our experience or our existence, involves two steps:

* We have to look into the makeup of our being to see what our existence consists of, we have to take it apart mentally, to see how it works, then put it together again and see how it holds together.
            * We have to examine our experience in order to discover its most pervasive features, the universal characteristics of phenomena.

From:  The True Nature of Existence - By Bhikkhu Bodhi (slightly edited)
Sample Text

[ Last edited by  lyhmsia at 21-9-2006 09:03 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 09:04 AM | Show all posts
Buddhism COMMON SENSE

The basis of Buddhist practice is not merely sitting in silent meditation, but common sense. If we behave arrogant and selfish, what can we expect from the people around us?
A nice explanation from Taming the Mind (link: http://www.snowlionpub.com/searc ... amp;item_no=TAMIBO) by Thubten Chodron:

"After your morning meditation, have breakfast. Greeting your family in the morning is also part of Dharma practice. Many people are grumpy in the morning. They sit at the breakfast table, pouring over the newspaper or reading the back of the cereal box for the umpteenth time. When their bright-eyed children greet them, they grunt and, without looking up, keep reading. When their partner asks them a question, they don't respond, or they glance at them for a moment with a look that says, "Don't bother me." Later, they wonder why they have problems in the family!
    .... It's easy to bark orders at your children, "Get up!" "Brush your teeth!" "Why are you wearing that? It looks terrible! Change clothes!" "Stop playing around and eat breakfast." "Hurry up and get to school. You're late." Many children will react as unruly subordinates when treated in this way. But if you greet your children with love and firmly help them navigate everything in their morning routine, they'll be happier and so will you."

[ Last edited by  lyhmsia at 21-9-2006 09:06 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 09:11 AM | Show all posts
The Eight Winds Cannot Move Me

Source: BY VENERABLE MASTER HSING YUN
Link: http://www.hsilai.org/english/me ... ex=14558&code=S

Date: 2004 / 02 / 22

Su Dongpo of the Song Dynasty was assigned to an official post at Guazhuo, which was situated at the northern shore of the Yangtze River. Across the river, on its southern shore, was Jinshan (Golden Mountain) Temple where Chan Master Foyin presided. One day, Su Dongpo, feeling quite advanced in his practice, wrote a poem and asked his attendant to send it to Chan Master Foyin for verification. The poem went as following:
      "Bowing with my highest respect
      To the deva of devas,
      Whose fine light illuminates the whole universe,
      The eight winds cannot move me,
      For I am sitting upright on the golden purple lotus blossom."
      After receiving the poem from the attendant and reading it, Chan Master Foyin picked up the brush and wrote down one word as his comment. When the attendant came back with the poem, Su Dongpo, expecting words of praise from the Chan Master, quickly opened it to read the comment. However, on that page, nothing was written except the word "Fart!" Upon seeing such an insult, Su Dongpo was ablaze with the fire of anger. Immediately, he boarded a boat and crossed the Yangtze River to argue with Chan Master Foyin.
      Before the boat even pulled onto the shore, Chan Master Foyin was already standing there waiting for Su Dongpo. Upon seeing Foyin, Su Dongpo said, "Chan Master, we are such intimate Dharma friends! It is fine that you do not compliment my practice or my poem. But how can you insult me like this?"
      Innocently, as if nothing had happened, the Chan Master asked, "How have I insulted you?"
      Without saying another word, Su Dongpo simply showed the word "Fart" to Chan Master Foyin.
      Laughing wholeheartedly, the Chan Master said, "Oh! Didn't you say that the eight winds cannot move you? How come you are sent across the river with just a fart?" Hearing what Foyin said, Su Dongpo was extremely embarrassed.

True pratice is not lip service. Its true potency lies in becoming what you practice.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

7-5-2024 04:00 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.112256 second(s), 41 queries .