Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: lyhmsia

Interesting/Inspirational Stories, Proverb and Saying

[Copy link]
lyhmsia This user has been deleted
 Author| Post time 14-7-2004 05:17 AM | Show all posts
The world is divided into people who think they are right.
(AP Internet, 10/9/97)

Note from ariyamusafir: Bonus credits given!

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 15-7-2004 at 11:01 PM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-7-2004 06:30 PM | Show all posts
Hmmmm.... many good stories which boleh diguna pakai in our laymen life!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-7-2004 05:06 AM | Show all posts
"When you look into a mirror you do not see your reflection. Your reflection sees you."
(AP, Internet, 2/25/99)

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-7-2004 05:12 AM | Show all posts
Guinean saying: Knowledge is like a garden: if it is not cultivated, it cannot be harvested.
(AP Internet, 10/4/97)

My reaction:
The Dharma shows us the path and it takes dedication and cultivation to understand Buddha's teaching.

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 17-7-2004 at 05:20 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-7-2004 05:15 AM | Show all posts
Italian proverbs: Quick climbers suffer sudden falls.
(SFEC, 7/6/97, Z1 p.6)

My reaction:
There are times we tend to learn Dharma too fast and missed the true meaning of the Dharma. Hence, we are actually still lost.:stp:

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 17-7-2004 at 05:21 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-7-2004 05:18 AM | Show all posts
A handsome stag with majestic antlers admired himself in a lake. As he looked at his reflection he thought, "My antlers are beautiful! But these spindly legs of mine are so skinny I wish I could hide them in shame."

Just then a hunter's arrow whizzed by and the stag bounded into the woods. As he ran, his beautiful antlers caught and snagged on the branches of a low-growing tree. Struggling, he finally pulled himself free. If it weren't for the exquisite speed of his legs, he would surely have been captured.

After that, when he gazed at his spindly legs, his pride would swell. "In times of danger," he thought, "they serve me well."

My reaction:
Appreciate who you are.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 26-7-2004 10:41 PM | Show all posts
A Taoist Tale by Chuang Tzu

There once was a man who wanted his fighting rooster to be more ferocious. He took the rooster to a trainer. In a few weeks' time he returned and saw that his rooster didn't squawk as loudly.

"Not ready yet," said the trainer. Two weeks later he saw that his rooster barely raised his neck feathers and wings.

"Not ready yet," said the trainer. Another week passed. His rooster looked as tame and docile as a chick.

"You've ruined my fine fighting bird!" screamed the man at the trainer.

"Not at all," the trainer replied, "See how calm and secure he is, how serenely strong he stands today. The other fighting birds take one look at him and they all run away!"

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-7-2004 10:42 PM | Show all posts
New Shoes
A Taoist Tale from China by Han Fei

A man needed a new pair of shoes. Before he went to the marketplace, he drew a detailed picture of his feet on a piece of paper, carefully measured them, and wrote down all their dimensions. Then, he set off on foot for the shoe store. Arriving later that day at the bazaar, he unhappily discovered that he had forgotten to bring the paper with his measurements on it! He turned around and walked back home to get it. It was sunset by the time he returned to the market,. and all the shops were closed. He explained his situation to one of the shopkeepers who had already packed away all his wares.

"Foolish man!" said the merchant. "You could have trusted your feet and tried the shoes on in the store! Why did you go home to get your diagrams?"

The man blushed, "I guess I trusted my measurements more . . ."

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 26-7-2004 10:43 PM | Show all posts
Great souls have wills, feeble souls only wishes.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-7-2004 10:46 PM | Show all posts
Japanese proverbs: The old forget. The young don't know.
(AP Internet, 8/14/97)
    "If you believe everything you read, better not read."
(AP Internet, 1/29/98)

Note from ariyamusafir: Bonus Credits given!

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 27-7-2004 at 12:46 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 27-7-2004 12:44 AM | Show all posts
Hmmmm.... I have read about other stories and perables and not sure if it is zen or not.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 27-7-2004 01:23 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 27-7-2004 12:44 AM:
Hmmmm.... I have read about other stories and perables and not sure if it is zen or not.

I just post any stories that concerned with the judgment of the goodness or stories/quote that teaches self-reflection. I think these stories can help us understand the meaning of life and how it can be applied in our daily chores. Can they be considered as Zen stories? Maybe I guess ...... what do you think? I think it really depend upon how you interpret them.

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 27-7-2004 at 01:26 AM ]

Use magic Report

Adm_Cheng_Ho This user has been deleted
Post time 27-7-2004 08:06 AM | Show all posts
I had tried to find Zen stories about Su Dong Bo and his good friend a Zen master. This 2 is very very funny. I donno where I place the books. I'll post it here once I get.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 27-7-2004 08:49 AM | Show all posts
Once a group of beggars afflicted with leprosy came to the assembly of Zen master Bankei, a great-hearted
teacher of the masses. Bankei admitted them to his company, and when he initiated them, he even washed
and shaved their heads with his own hands.

Now as it happened, there was a certain gentleman present, the representative of a baron who had faith in
Bankei and had already built a temple in his province where the teacher could train disciples and lecture to
the people.

Revolted by the sight of the Zen master shaving the heads of untouchables, the gentleman hurriedly brought
a basin of water for Bankei to wash his hands. But the master refused, remarking, "Your disgust is filthier than
their sores."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 27-7-2004 08:50 AM | Show all posts
Mind studies was a lay self-improvement movement influenced by Zen. One day a follower of Mind studies came to Zen master Shosan to ask about the essentials of Buddhism. The Zen master said, "Buddhism is not a matter of using your discursive intellect to govern your body. It is a matter of using the moment of the immediate present purely, not wasting it, without thinking about past or future. "This is why the ancients exhorted people first of all to be careful of time: this means guarding the mind strictly, sweeping away all things, whether good or bad, and detaching from the ego.

"Furthermore," Zen master continued, "for the reformation of mind it is good to observe the principle of cause and effect. For example, even if others hate us, we should not resent them; we should criticize ourselves, thinking why people should hate us for no reason, assuming that there must be a causal factor in us, and even that there must be other as yet unknown casual factors in us.

"Maintaining that all things are effects of causes, we should not make judgments based on subjective ideas. On the whole, things do not happen in accord with subjective ideas; they happen in accord with the laws of Nature. If you maintain awareness of this, your mind will become very clear."

Source: Zen Antics

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 27-7-2004 08:52 AM | Show all posts
A wise Zen frog was explaining to the younger frogs the balance of nature:
"Do you see how that fly eats a gnat? And now (with a bite) I eat the fly. It
is all part of the great scheme of things."
"Isn't it bad to kill in order to live?" asked the thoughtful frog.
"It depends . . ." answered the wise frog just as a snake swallowed the Zen
frog in one chomp before the frog finished his sentence.
"Depends on what?" shouted the students.
"Depends on whether you're looking at things from the inside or outside,"
came the muffled response from inside the snake.

Source: Zen Fables For Today

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-7-2004 08:56 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by lyhmsia at 27-7-2004 01:23:

I just post any stories that concerned with the judgment of the goodness or stories/quote that teaches self-reflection. I think these stories can help us understand the meaning of life and how  ...

The perhaps you should edit the title into stories. Just suggestions. You can do that, if you want, at the very beginning of your thread by clicking edit button.

Use magic Report

Post time 28-7-2004 07:57 AM | Show all posts
I once read about a type of forest monkeys who cannot resist a certain type of wine. It has something to do with craving. Later when I return to my hometown I post it here.

Use magic Report

cclee This user has been deleted
Post time 30-7-2004 05:22 PM | Show all posts
Come alone, back alone!
Come with nothing, left with nothing!
:pray:

Note from ariyamusafir: Bonus credits given!!

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 30-7-2004 at 10:16 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2004 10:22 PM | Show all posts
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao Tzu

Destiny is not a matter of chance, but of choice, Not something to wish for, but to attain. William Jennings Bryan

[ Last edited by lyhmsia on 30-7-2004 at 10:24 PM ]

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 09:10 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064550 second(s), 45 queries .