Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: adila39

[Buku] DALE CARNEGIE - HOW TO STOP WORRYING AND START LIVING

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 10-12-2018 03:52 PM | Show all posts
Part One - Fundamental Facts You Should Know About Worry

Chapter 1 - Live in "Day-tight Compartments"

In the spring of 1871, a young man picked up a book and read twenty-one words that
had a profound effect on his future. A medical student at the Montreal General Hospital,
he was worried about passing the final examination, worried about what to do, where to
go, how to build up a practice, how to make a living.

The twenty-one words that this young medical student read in 1871 helped him to
become the most famous physician of his generation. He organised the world-famous
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He became Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxfordthe highest honour that can be bestowed upon any medical man in the British Empire.
He was knighted by the King of England. When he died, two huge volumes containing
1,466 pages were required to tell the story of his life.

His name was Sir William Osier. Here are the twenty-one words that he read in the
spring of 1871-twenty-one words from Thomas Carlyle that helped him lead a life free
from worry: "Our main business is not to see what lie dimly at a distance, but to do
what lies clearly at hand."  

Forty-two years later, on a soft spring night when the tulips were blooming on the
campus, this man, Sir William Osier, addressed the students of Yale University. He told
those Yale students that a man like himself who had been a professor in four
universities and had written a popular book was supposed to have "brains of a special
quality". He declared that that was untrue. He said that his intimate friends knew that his
brains were "of the most mediocre character".

What, then, was the secret of his success? He stated that it was owing to what he called
living in "day-tight compartments." What did he mean by that? A few months before he spoke at Yale, Sir William Osier had crossed the Atlantic on a great ocean liner where
the captain standing on the bridge, could press a button and-presto!-there was a
clanging of machinery and various parts of the ship were immediately shut off from one
another-shut off into watertight compartments. "Now each one of you," Dr. Osier said to
those Yale students, "is a much more marvelous organisation than the great liner, and
bound on a longer voyage. What I urge is that you so learn to control the machinery as
to live with 'day-tight compartments' as the most certain way to ensure safety on the
voyage. Get on the bridge, and see that at least the great bulkheads are in working
order. Touch a button and hear, at every level of your life, the iron doors shutting out the
Past-the dead yesterdays. Touch another and shut  off, with a metal curtain, the Future  the unborn tomorrows. Then you are safe-safe for today! ... Shut off the past! Let the
dead past bury its dead. ... Shut out the yesterdays which have lighted fools the way to
dusty death. ... The load of tomorrow, added to that of yesterday, carried today, makes
the strongest falter. Shut off the future as tightly as the past. ... The future is today. ...
There is no tomorrow. The day of man's salvation is now. Waste of energy, mental
distress, nervous worries dog the steps of a man who is anxious about the future. ...
Shut close, then the great fore and aft bulkheads, and prepare to cultivate the habit of
life of 'day-tight compartments'.

Did Dr. Osier mean to say that we should not make any effort to prepare for tomorrow?
No. Not at all. But he did go on in that address to say that the best possible way to
prepare for tomorrow is to concentrate with all your intelligence, all your enthusiasm, on
doing today's work superbly today. That is the only possible way you can prepare for the
future.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 10-12-2018 03:57 PM | Show all posts
anyone can conclude above ?

Ni what i like

Who do you suppose wrote this verse:

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He, who can call to-day his own:
He who, secure within, can say:
"To-morrow, do thy worst, for I have liv'd to-day."

Those words sound modern, don't they? Yet they were written thirty years before Christ
was born, by the Roman poet Horace.

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off
living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-instead of
enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 04:01 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 04:03 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
idakamaruddin replied at 10-12-2018 03:07 PM
nak komen apa ni..x penah bc pasal buku ni hahaha

sabar ida.sabar.dila baru nak tepek.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-12-2018 04:04 PM | Show all posts
Edited by adila39 at 10-12-2018 08:06 AM

Haaaa okay now we talk secara makcik level pulak...kalau u all risau tentang life kerja ke duit ke apa apa je la...how u all buat and how u all confront?
@hibernation

@chesfa
@fixit
@foxey

alahaiii kang tag semua salah eja pulak

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 04:05 PM | Show all posts

Terima kasih pah tag akak.....

n tahniah dila, suatu perkongsian yang amat bermanfaat

malam ni start mentelaah

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 10-12-2018 04:11 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
adila39 replied at 10-12-2018 08:04 AM
Haaaa okay now we talk secara makcik level pulak...kalau u all risau tentang life kerja ke duit ke a ...

Alamakkkk sensitive ni I always use my personal issues to build a wall around me, macam self-defense mechanism gitu. Should anything happens,  tak sakit sangat huhu

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 04:38 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Dale carnagie ni i ada buku dia art of public speaking..senang nk paham la tips2 dia ni.

Cuma sampai skrg sis tetap nebes bila tetibe kena public speaking tu haha

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 10-12-2018 06:38 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
cahaya_emily replied at 10-12-2018 08:38 AM
Dale carnagie ni i ada buku dia art of public speaking..senang nk paham la tips2 dia ni.

Cuma sam ...

what are u doing? wah hebat. I think i shud do something too tapi boldness sangat sedikit..age of now boleh lagi ke? jom baca lagi..nnt i tepek later

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 08:37 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
KILL_NANCY replied at 10-12-2018 02:02 PM
@MeghanK

huwaaaa

iols ada costant feeling of worrying something that might not be happening..risau tu risau ni..banyak benda dirisaukan

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 08:41 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
adila39 replied at 10-12-2018 03:57 PM
anyone can conclude above ?

kata kunci nya bersyukur..iols pon kadang2 remind diri sendiri betapa bertuah nya ada decent job, ada rumah duduk, yang penting masih sihat alhamdulillah..jangan asyik nak merungut itu tak kena ini tak kena..setiap perkara tu walaupun bagi pengalaman buruk dekat kehidupan kita tapi at the end of the day kita ada belajar satu dua perkara jugak..jadi sentiasa positif dan syukur selalu

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 08:44 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
cahaya_emily replied at 10-12-2018 04:38 PM

Cuma sam ...

iols amek kelas public speaking masa uni dulu (setelah dicabar oleh seorang lecturer )

satu cara nak kurangkan neves masa nak bercakap, berdiri diam, tengok audience..tengok semua yang ada di depan kita..amek masa bertenang dan start..insyaallah tak neves

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 11:17 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
MeghanK replied at 10-12-2018 12:44 PM
iols amek kelas public speaking masa uni dulu (setelah dicabar oleh seorang lecturer )

satu c ...

Lagiiiii buat saya kecut perut hahahhaha. I'd stare at them blankly, macam tengok ada halo kat tengah. Tapi once dah start bercakap depan audience, perasaan butterflies in the stomach tu hilang

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-12-2018 11:30 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
chesfa replied at 10-12-2018 03:17 PM
Lagiiiii buat saya kecut perut hahahhaha. I'd stare at them blankly, macam tengok ada halo kat ten ...

oh sis alhamdulillah biasa juga on public..awal awal je u all akan neves.. trust me when u all get used dah u akan so free giving ur speech. U can even make a jokes..but make sure joke yg kelakar okeh...heheheh

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 11:38 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by chesfa at 10-12-2018 05:15 PM

I didn't hate my previous job. Kinda pushed to quit it, stayed out of my comfort zone yang bagi basic salary and other benefits cukup to 'enjoy' my life that time, but my circumstances didn't stop me to learn new skills, to start working at home, of course dah tak secure macam dulu, tapi Alhamdulillah, I'm happy it's like a therapy to me. Mampu lagi nak bagi duit kat parents, bayar bil itu ini.

My problem is, I kinda know how my life'd end up in the future (say, in 1-2 years later). It's kinda worrying me. I'm doing my best to prepare for the worst, tapi still tak cukup, akan ada itu ini yang kena buat lagi

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2018 11:42 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
adila39 replied at 10-12-2018 03:30 PM
oh sis alhamdulillah biasa juga on public..awal awal je u all akan neves.. trust me when u all get ...

Kalau diorang tak gelak, kita buat poker face jer

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 11-12-2018 07:18 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
chesfa replied at 10-12-2018 03:38 PM
I didn't hate my previous job. Kinda pushed to quit it, stayed out of my comfort zone yang bagi basi ...

best nyaaa...i duk baca balik buku ni la nak boost spirit. Tapi sebenarnya buku agama and quran but heheheh kita selang selilah....

kudoz to u chesfa!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-12-2018 07:18 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
chesfa replied at 10-12-2018 03:42 PM
Kalau diorang tak gelak, kita buat poker face jer

aduhhh boleh imagine moment tu sure awkward

Use magic Report

Post time 11-12-2018 09:29 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Thanks adila..

Iols ada banyak buku dale carnegie ni.. tapi buku how to stop worrying ni tak ada.. currently tengah baca how to win friends and influence people.. bagus buku ni.. untuk org yang nak belajar bersosial, and sesuai jugak untuk orang yang know it all..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-12-2018 11:04 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
tensic~ replied at 11-12-2018 01:29 AM
Thanks adila..

Iols ada banyak buku dale carnegie ni.. tapi buku how to stop worrying ni tak ada ...

u shud have.. buku ni umpama soul feeder

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

17-4-2024 12:46 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.080753 second(s), 44 queries .