CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: bianglala

[Pelbagai] Quotes on Reading, Writing @ Literature

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:15 AM | Show all posts
It’s true that writing can give new forms to concepts that existed previously with far less clarity, but in terms of the other half of a story’s story – the way a story is received and interpreted and used – the audience plays a part in that too.

HELEN OYEYEMI

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:16 AM | Show all posts
People don’t expect too much from literature. They just want to know they’re not alone with being confused.

JONATHAN AMES

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:17 AM | Show all posts
A lot of writing is a form of seeing – putting down what you see in terms of action and landscape.

JONATHAN AMES

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:17 AM | Show all posts

You learn by writing short stories. Keep writing short stories. The money’s in novels, but writing short stories keeps your writing lean and pointed.

LARRY NIVEN

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:18 AM | Show all posts

Well, writers become writers because they love words and language, and attempting a non-native style is all part of the fun.

LEE CHILD

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:18 AM | Show all posts
Read, read, read. You can’t get anywhere unless you are an obsessive, continuous reader of other stuff.

LEE CHILD

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:19 AM | Show all posts
Writing is show business for shy people.

LEE CHILD

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:20 AM | Show all posts
Your literary style reflects your personality.

LOUIS AUCCHINCLOSS

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-5-2019 12:21 AM | Show all posts

Any fool can write a novel but it takes real genius to sell it.

J.G BALLARD

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 30-5-2019 12:40 PM | Show all posts
"Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately after they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish."
― Hermann Hesse

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2019 04:22 PM | Show all posts
There are many quotations that inspire me greatly, but since I love Jane Austen's special work and I even wrote my assignment with https://anyassignment.com/literature/ a few brief kinds of literature. It was supervised by the quote - "A book that is well written always seems to me too short." Every book is a little life that gives lessons.

Use magic Report

Post time 9-6-2019 01:51 PM | Show all posts
“‘Classic’ – a book which people praise and don’t read.” – Mark Twain

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:08 PM | Show all posts
I enjoy writing crime. It’s a puzzle. It’s a craft. Can I keep you turning the pages? I love it when people are midway through a book and I say: ‘Who did it?’ and they always get it wrong.

LYNDA LA PANTE

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:09 PM | Show all posts
A literary influence is never just a literary influence. It’s also an influence in the way you see everything – in the way you feel your life.

THOM GUNN

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:09 PM | Show all posts
After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colours of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer’s breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer – perhaps more.

JASPER FFORDE

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:11 PM | Show all posts
"Literature is concerned with the self-conscious exploration of the lives of men, women and children in society. Even when it is comic, it sees life as something worth talking about. This is why airport fiction, or ‘blockbusters’, books which are all plot, can never be considered literature, and why, in the end, they are of little value. It is not only that the language in which they are written lacks bounce and poignancy, but that they don’t return the reader to the multifariousness and complication of existence… In literature personality is all, and the exploration of character – or portraiture, the human subject – is central to it."

HANIF KUREISHI

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:11 PM | Show all posts
Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life.

MARY KARR

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:12 PM | Show all posts
But the thing about Literature is, well, basically it encapsulates all the disciplines - it's history, philosophy, politics, sexual politics, sociology, psychology, linguistics, science. Literature is mankind's organised response to the world around him, or her.

DAVID NICHOLLS

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:13 PM | Show all posts
I think we all look for clues that we are not utterly alone... Clues we find in literature and paintings and music and even someone’s eyes; clues that demonstrate that someone else has felt the same indescribable feelings, seen the same things or passed by the spot even if it was by candlelight three hundred years ago. It means everything, like finding footprints in the sand of a deserted island.

JONATHAN HULL

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-6-2019 08:13 PM | Show all posts
Who says great literature has to be written by men? Who says great literature has to be about scary, creepy stuff like adulterers being punished and black slaves breaking loose and giant whales eating people? Why can't literature just be stories about women? Refined, respectable women have just as much to say as ignorant black slaves or bloodthirsty Indians or mad white whaling captains. Why do we have to pretend those people's lives matter more than our own?

ANNA QUINDLEN

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

25-4-2024 11:57 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.132640 second(s), 48 queries .