Return to list New
View: 6230|Reply: 25

Martin Kleppe, Bangsa Jerman yang Berjasa pada Tulisan Bugis, Lontara

[Copy link]
Post time 22-5-2019 10:36 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Malaysia.Doom at 22-5-2019 10:46 AM

Kurru Sumanga'
Tabe' Silessureng Ku Maneng

Hari ini saya tertarik sosok pemuda Jerman ini bernama Martin Kleppe yang Berjasa kepada  kebudayaan adi Luhung  Bugis dan Sulawesi dengan mencipta Java Script untuk tulisan Bugis iaitu Lontara'.

Saya jumpa post beliau ini dalam Twitter

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 10:54 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Martin Kleppe adalah "Ketua Pembangunan" dan pengasas bersama Ubilabs. Syarikatnya mengembangkan aplikasi berdasarkan Google Maps API untuk pangkalan pelanggan antarabangsa.

Beliau adalah penceramah awam dan terkenal di komuniti pembangunan web untuk mewujudkan projek-projek yang luar biasa, seperti kod dunia berputar dalam 1024 bait JavaScript, JSFuck atau program yang ditulis dalam aksara-aksara Asia sahaja.

Martin Kleppe adalah salah satu daripada lapan "Pakar Pemaju Google" yang dilantik untuk Platform Google Maps di seluruh dunia. GDE sangat berpengalaman, pemaju teknologi yang diiktiraf serta profesional yang cemerlang.

Sejak tahun 2007 Ubilabs mengkhususkan diri dalam perundingan, penyesuaian dan integrasi peta ke dalam proses perniagaan, produk, dan laman web para pelanggannya dan kini merupakan Mitra Utama Google Cloud Premier.
Pengkhususan: API Peta Google, JavaScript, Visualisasi, Alat BI, Pembangunan Web, Teknologi Web Kreatif

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 11:22 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

x

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2019 12:36 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
So what is the point of this thread, Tak faham. Can you please elaborate. Tulisan ni masih di pakai sekarang? Atau zaman dahulu, Dan di jumpai di caves, Atau fossils? Sejarah Bugis guna tulisan Dan bahasa apa sis.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 12:39 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 12:36 PM
So what is the point of this thread, Tak faham. Can you please elaborate. Tulisan ni masih di pakai  ...

Tulisan ini masih digunakan dulu Dan Kini.

Ditulis diatas helaian daun Kelapa Laut atau Lontara untuk merekod segala ilmu Dan sebarang catatan oleh orang Bugis.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 12:41 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by Malaysia.Doom at 22-5-2019 12:47 PM
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 12:36 PM
So what is the point of this thread, Tak faham. Can you please elaborate. Tulisan ni masih di pakai  ...

Buginese Script
by        Thalia Echevarria posted July 14, 2016

Detail of page 109 of the Lettergieterij “Amsterdam” voorheen N. Tetterode type specimen, 1910.

“Wait! What is this? Is this an alien script or something?”

That was me looking at the book Non-Latin typefaces at St Bride Library, which displayed a page from the Lettergieterij “Amsterdam” specimen with the Buginese script.

“People can read this?! What the…” (5 seconds later…) “That’s it, this is the project for my typeface/dissertation!”

Buginese, also known as Bugi, is the language of the population in the province of South Sulawesi, Indonesia. This language is often written using the Latin script but traditionally, the Buginese script, also know as Lontara, was the common writing system. That was until the 19th century, when the Dutch colonized Indonesia and the Buginese script (amongst others like Javanese and Balinese) was displaced.

Instagram pictures: #buginese #lontara
Instagram pictures: #buginese #lontara

Today it is considered to be “under increasing threat as a living script” 1 but it is still present in traditional ceremonies, street signs, personal notes and is even taught in some schools. Now my task was to figure out how non-Latin scripts that are considered endangered can develop the necessary support for their implementation in contemporary technologies. To make it even more interesting, I soon discovered that not much research had been done about this mysterious script. Game on!

I started my research by visiting the Special Collections at the University of Amsterdam and requested my first material: “Stalen Stempels En Matrijzen Van Boegineesch Cijferschrift” from 1883. For the record, I only speak Spanish and English (so I think), so no idea what I had just requested. A lady brings one folder. I opened it and found just one sheet of paper which looked like NOTHING even remotely close to the Buginese script.

“Excuse me, I requested this but I’m not sure it is… OMG! OMG! Never mind!”

“Stalen Stempels En Matrijzen Van Boegineesch Cijferschrift”, 1883
Stalen Stempels En Matrijzen Van Boegineesch Cijferschrift, 1883

Yeah, cipher Buginese. I remember now reading about it, but haven’t seen any example of it. Long story short the Bugis had developed an encoded version of their script so that they could send secret trade messages. Each character had an equivalent shape in the cipher script and to make it even more interesting, the shapes were inspired by the Arabic numerals. Fascinating.

Detail from the book Boegineesche en Makassarsche Pozie. B.F. Matthes, 1883
Detail from the book Boegineesche en Makassarsche Pozie. B.F. Matthes, 1883

Next stop was the Imprimerie Nationale in Douai, France. I got to see the punches engraved in 1845 by Marcellin Legrand, under the direction of E. Dulaurier and of course, some amazing specimens. A couple more stops: Monotype for the Lontarak for phototypesetting and the British Library for some manuscripts. Now I had enough material to start the design process.

Detail from metal type. The punches were engraved by Marcellin Legrand in 1845.
Detail from metal type. The punches were engraved by Marcellin Legrand in 1845.

(a) Detail from the Collection de Lois Maritimes Antérieures Au XVIII Siècle, Proeven van oostersche schri en, page 474. (b) Lettergieterij “Amsterdam”, 1910, page 107. The dotted line shows the different alignments of some of the characters.
(a) Detail from the Collection de Lois Maritimes Antérieures Au XVIII Siècle, Proeven van oostersche schri en, page 474. (b) Lettergieterij “Amsterdam”, 1910, page 107. The dotted line shows the different alignments of some of the characters.

Understanding the alignment and position of the dots was important. Rumor has it (this is just a theory) that the Bugis represented their beliefs in the shape of the script, and because they were really good sailors, the shape of the characters resembles ocean waves, so each corner represents a wind direction 2 . With this idea in mind, it was easier to understand why the space around the characters in so prominent. Also, as the example above shows, depending on the design of the typeface some characters align on the baseline and others go above or below it. This made it hard to understand the typographic conventions (as apparently there were not many). As expected, a lot of iteration went into getting the right shape, but I needed some help from a reader.

Early sketches of the Pistachio Buginese typeface.
Early sketches of the Pistachio Buginese typeface.

Yeah, I needed to find someone who can read the “I’m almost dead script”. But then, serendipity to the rescue. I manage to find the only person in the UK who can read Buginese: Dr. Ian Caldwell, associate professor of Southeast Asian Studies at the University of Leeds, who kindly helped me with this task. He stated that my first design looked “like very well written forms, not like a typeface”. This, as I suspected, was because of the problems with the alignments, so instead of strictly following the conventions of other typefaces, I designed the characters and aligned them to the baseline depending on the width and the counter of the shapes. This made for a more even texture, and the rhythm of the text improved.

While analyzing typefaces I also found that there were variations on where certain vowel marks were placed. The most notable is the “yi”, because the position of the dot changes depending on the typeface. For this, I analyzed all possible combinations and defined a rule for the correct placement of the dots.

Variations on the positions of the marks for the “yi”, depending on the typeface.
Variations on the positions of the marks for the “yi”, depending on the typeface.

Handmade Buginese keyboard!
Handmade Buginese keyboard!

I even had to figure out how to create a keyboard layout so I could type it! And of course, an actual keyboard for my Mac. I cut by hand each key and paste them into a transparent keyboard. I’m still in the process of finishing the research for it, so this layout will soon change. I also managed to designed the cipher version of Pistachio Buginese, but there is no Unicode for this so I had to treat the characters as a stylistic set.

As for the posted header, this is the transliteration of the word Alphabettes. In this script, each consonant has an inherent vowel sound “a”. The diacritic marks represent the rest of the vowels (“i”, “u”, “e”, “o” and “ae”), so every syllable is represented by an independent symbol, either with a diacritic or without it. The vowels are positioned above, below, before and after the characters, modifying the inherent sound of the vowel “a” in each consonant. It reads: a-la-pa-ha-bae-te-sa. Not perfect, but if anyone finds a better transliteration let me know.

Pistachio Buginese.
Pistachio Buginese character set.

Pistachio Buginese is part of my MATD project, you can check the specimen over here: http://typefacedesign.net/2015/Pistachio.pdf

1 scriptsource. 2014. “Buginese Script”. Accessed December 26, 2014. http://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=script_ detail&key=Bugi

2 Nurhayati Rahman, “Sejarah Dan Dinamika Perkembangan Huruf Lontaraq Di Sulawesi Selatan”, Makassar, 4 Feb. 2014

posted in Research
THALIA ECHEVARRIA
Thalia Echevarria is a type designer and font engineer wannabe with a background in graphic design, originally from Peru. She is currently completing her MA in typeface design at the University of Reading after finishing a one-year internship at Apple. She loves coding, traveling and mental-mapping awesome culinary places.

http://www.alphabettes.org/buginese-script/

x

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 22-5-2019 12:42 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Malaysia.Doom replied at 22-5-2019 12:39 PM
Tulisan ini masih digunakan dulu Dan Kini.

Ditulis diatas helaian daun Kelapa Laut atau Lontara ...

I see. It looks a little like jawi. Sis boleh Baca Ke

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 12:48 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 12:42 PM
I see. It looks a little like jawi. Sis boleh Baca Ke

Saya boleh baca  sebab saya Bugis.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-5-2019 12:49 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Malaysia.Doom replied at 22-5-2019 12:41 PM
Buginese Script
by        Thalia Echevarria posted July 14, 2016

Interesting. But this is about the guy trying to decipher the Buginese code. I rasa Banyak boleh belajar pasal culture from the writings and drawings. Rupanya mereka pelayar

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2019 12:51 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Malaysia.Doom replied at 22-5-2019 12:48 PM
Saya boleh baca  sebab saya Bugis.

Really? Wow hehehe. Nanti tunjuklah contoh Tulisan, with the meaning. Kenapa Tulisan ni hamper pupus, perlu orang putih pulak untuk menjaga, sedangkan tulisan non Roman lain elok jer

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 12:56 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by Malaysia.Doom at 22-5-2019 01:01 PM
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 12:51 PM
Really? Wow hehehe. Nanti tunjuklah contoh Tulisan, with the meaning. Kenapa Tulisan ni hamper pup ...

Baca dalam artikel tu...tulisan ni Tak pupus tapi "endangered" sebab bahasa Bugis sekarang ditulis dengan Huruf Roman...tapi segi Budaya tetap digunakan kerana catatan Naskah lama Bugis dan Makassar menggunakan tulisan ini.

Beberapa Naskah lama Sulawesi tersimpan di Eropah sebab tu mereka perlu belajar tulisan ini utk memudahkan kajian mereka.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2019 12:58 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Malaysia.Doom replied at 22-5-2019 12:56 PM
Baca dalam artikel tu...tulisan ni Tak pupus tapi "endangered" sebab bahasa Bugis sekarang ditul ...

Ada Qur'an tulisan Bugis lama ni Tak, do you know? Sebab nampak influence jawi tu

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 01:07 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by Malaysia.Doom at 22-5-2019 01:09 PM
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 12:58 PM
Ada Qur'an tulisan Bugis lama ni Tak, do you know? Sebab nampak influence jawi tu

Tulisan lontara' takda pengaruh Jawi Dan juga Brahmin...ianya adalah tulisan Asli milik bangsa Austronesia sama seperti tulisan Rencong di Sumatera.

Selain tulisan Lontara'...orang Makassar juga menggunakan tulisan Lontara Jangang-Jangang

Yang mempunyai pengaruh Jawi hanya tulisan Bilang-Bilang yang menggunakan bentuk nombor2 Jawi..tujuan tulisan Bilang-Bilang diciptakan supaya Belanda tidak Mengetahui isi kandungan surat2 sulit dari Istana Gowa

x

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2019 03:19 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Malaysia.Doom replied at 22-5-2019 01:07 PM
Tulisan lontara' takda pengaruh Jawi Dan juga Brahmin...ianya adalah tulisan Asli milik bangsa A ...

Cantik Tulisan nya. Boleh Buat art hehehe thanks for sharing. Ramai Ke orang Bugis di Malaysia ni.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-5-2019 03:21 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I mean Selain panglima Bugis boskurr hehe so you ni penyokong boskurr Ke just asking

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 04:27 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 03:21 PM
I mean Selain panglima Bugis boskurr hehe so you ni penyokong boskurr Ke just asking

Bosskur dari Keturunan Raja Gowa

Saya dari Keturunan Opu Daeng (Luwu' dan Wajo).

Saya Tak sokong Bosskur sebab dia terlalu feminine dlm pentadbiran

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 22-5-2019 04:29 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
nurrlisa replied at 22-5-2019 03:19 PM
Cantik Tulisan nya. Boleh Buat art hehehe thanks for sharing. Ramai Ke orang Bugis di Malaysia ni. ...

Ramai...kebanyakan mereka Liberal, liberalisme memang sebati dengan darah daging Bugis sejak zaman nenek moyang mereka.

Use magic Report

Post time 25-5-2019 02:30 PM | Show all posts
Edited by nurrlisa at 25-5-2019 02:31 PM
Malaysia.Doom replied at 22-5-2019 04:29 PM
Ramai...kebanyakan mereka Liberal, liberalisme memang sebati dengan darah daging Bugis sejak zaman ...

Apa maksud you orang Bugis liberal, boleh elaborate. Ini menarik kerana rata rata orang melayu sekarang tidak lagi liberal, dan itu menyedihkan bagi saya kerana telah hilang budaya kita dan sebagainya, yang dulu atuk nenek melayu sangat banyak budaya dan sifat keterbukaan, di samping mereka masih ugamawan yang kuat. Sekarang hanya ada dosa neraka syurga pahala.

Bagaimana liberalnya Bugis? Dari sudut apa. Adakah wanita Bugis masih berfesyen atau juga berkelubung litup?

Use magic Report

Post time 25-5-2019 06:00 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Mana ada orang pakai lagi hari ni. Karot belaka.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-5-2019 08:02 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
nurrlisa replied at 25-5-2019 02:30 PM
Apa maksud you orang Bugis liberal, boleh elaborate. Ini menarik kerana rata rata orang melayu sek ...

Orang Bugis bersifat liberal kerana menyokong kesamarataan antara lelaki perempuan...perwarisan harta antara lelaki perempuan adalah 1:1

Orang Perempuan Bugis menjawat jawatan Pembesar, Pegawai bahkan Raja.

Orang Bugis jugak boleh memilih jantina Pondan Dan Tomboy sesuai mengikut pekerjaan yang mereka minati..Dan meletakkan mereka yg mempunyai jantina selain lelaki atau perempuan pada kedudukan yang mulia.

x

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 08:16 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.161873 second(s), 47 queries .