Return to list New
View: 6718|Reply: 79

[Tempatan] To my Fellow Chinese Malaysians - By William Cheah

[Copy link]
Post time 23-8-2019 10:48 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts |Read mode
By William Cheah
22 August

To my Fellow Chinese Malaysians,

I have always wanted to write this but never found the right time. Maybe this is the right time. For reflection.

I have never supported any political party that was Chinese based, regardless of whether it was DAP, MCA, Gerakan etc etc. It may seem funny coming from a Chinese, especially one whose lineage has ties to MCA.

Some of you will start cursing me now. A traitor to his race amongst the curses. But hear me out if you can. At least listen to my reason.

And the reason is one only.

All these parties, regardless of which side they come from, whichever ideology they believe and practise, have one thing in common.

They champion or profess to champion the rights of the Chinese. Whether they do so openly or not, we all know and believe they do. Come any election, all will trumpet loudly what they have done for the Chinese community. So vote them. Vote your champion. The one that guards and protects your rights. The one that has the best interest of your race, culture, language etc at heart. Vote them so they can continue to do that.

And that's the problem for me.

Because in their call in protecting my rights as a Chinese, I do not see what they have done to make me Malaysian. Neither in action nor in guidance. In their obsession in becoming the big fish in small pond, they have ignored the vision of turning the small pond into a big lake.

I look around at our Malaysian Chinese population and I see one undeniable fact. We are growing lesser by percentage with each passing year. And as each second ticks by, we are growing weaker because our numbers grow smaller. In a democracy practised such as ours, it is all about numbers. The fewer you are the lesser your voice.

Maybe in the past it was different. When the Chinese here were 40%? More or less? But dynamics change when you have become closer to only 20% now. One day we will become 10%, then 5%.

What then? How then?

For all the parties "championing" the rights of the Chinese in Malaysia, the ones which call Malaysia their home, the generations which by now, by right, should consider Malaysia their Motherland, I believe you have done a great disservice to all of them, to all of us.

By constantly focussing on the specific and unique "rights" of the Chinese, you have denied us the opportunity to become Malaysians and boxed us in, in thought and practise as forever Chinese.

By right, today we should be proud to consider ourselves Malaysian first. Not Chinese first. By right, our fellow Malaysians should be considering us as Malaysians, and not Chinese.

But we cannot. They cannot.

Because we are more adamant in promoting our exclusivity rather than integrating into the national identity. Because we tell ourselves and others, we are Chinese. We identify ourselves as Chinese. Even amongst ourselves.

We refuse to adapt and adopt whole heartedly certain requirements which are paramount to being Malaysian. Language for example. How many Chinese families promote the use of Bahasa Malaysia as their first language? Many, if not most, don't even consider it a second language. And yet we clamour to be called Malaysians. Even after 62 years of independence.

Is it good to say we have retained our mother tongue but is hardly proficient in our national language? Something to proudly proclaim as a Malaysian? Does that make sense to you or are you blinded by the propaganda of our political champions?

Let us not talk about our stand in regards to other race specific practise. It would be too painful to admit. From name rights, to even our loyalty to the flag.

Have you wondered why are such issues cropping up now? Or has it always been there but just never voiced out?

I believe, that many Malays are angry at us and do not consider us as full fledged citizens nor one deserving of equality, simply because we do not act and behave as one which deserves so. It's not just about religion. It isn't just about race. It all stems from the basics.

It would be simple to point the finger at them and say they are wrong. To justify our rights here as being born here. By our constitutional rights. By history.

But truly, I ask you, what has each and everyone of us done to embrace the identity that makes us Malaysian? What have we done to blur the lines that segregate us based on race or have we actually been repainting the lines to make it even bolder and sharper?

And that is the reason why I till now do not support any Chinese based political party. For in their stand, in their practise, in nearly every action they have taken to gain support from the Chinese community, they have been strengthening the lines that keep us from truly becoming Malaysians. Their very strategy calls for us to be separate from the rest. To be different from the rest.

And yet, in wanting to be different, we unashamedly demand to be given the same rights while refusing or at best, struggle, against the responsibilities and requirements needed to be accepted as one.

No, I am not asking for us to forget our culture, history or even give up our practises. But I do wish we can embrace certain aspects that make us Malaysian. And to embrace it wholeheartedly.

But this will never happen till the day our so called political champions, decide that it is time to focus on what can be done to turn the Chinese here into Malaysians rather than focussing on the fact that we are Chinese always.

Only then maybe can we truly begin the process of a true Malaysian identity. Ignore it, and slowly but surely, we will lose not just our voice, but our home as we know it.

If I want to known as Malaysian first, to be given the full rights as a Malaysian, to be accepted and viewed by my fellow Malaysians of other races as a Malaysian first....then I must be a Malaysian first. Not Chinese first.

We cannot have it any other way. Being born here is a gift. We need to do more than that to make it a reality. We need to live it.

----------------

On our 62nd Hari Kebangsaan, we face a time of great uncertainty and disharmony. We, more than ever, confront each other based along racial lines. One day, I hope we will celebrate it as only one race. As Bangsa Malaysia.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 24-8-2019 12:32 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Well written Mr William Cheah. Applause

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 12:39 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Orang Cina pon guna perkataan Race untuk bangsa mereka.

Tapi Ada sesetengah Melayu anggap Melayu tu sebagai Etnik

Lepas tu sebut Bugis sebagai Sub Etnik...

Sebab tu aku cakap Melayu banyak YG bodoh....pasal bangsa mereka sendiri Tak kenal habis.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 01:12 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Hidup cina dalam Malaysia memang sedih, kecik2 dah kena ikut telunjuk Dong Zong semua kena masuk sekolah cina, dah di brainwash dari kecik, yuran bukan murah siap ikut sem dari tadika okey,

Dah dewasa sikit semua kena hantar belajar taiwan, hong kong dan China sebab sekolah cina tak ada SPM, jadi sijil tak laku, kos belajar sana bukan sikit, kes suicide pun meningkat,

Kalau berniaga kena masuk persatuan perniaga cina kalau tak kau bakalan dipalau, itu ja cara nak terus berniaga, siapa suka kena tiaw,

Berkawan dgn orang dia, kalau ada yang kawan dgn melayu, ini memang cina hati kering, apatah kahwin dgn melayu,

Bercakap dalam bahasa dia 24jam sampai ada bangla, myanmar yang baru sampai sini ingat diorang China yang datang sini berniaga, ini memang realiti,

Yang tua gayut pula baca suratkhabar cina hari2 supaya jadi role model cina muda untuk baca apa yang dia baca, sokong apa yang dia sokong, suka siapa yang dia suka, stress hidup macam ni, dari kecik sampai mampus hidup cina kena atur dengan persatuan/parti cina, no freedom at all,

Jadi melayu juga aman2, dia nak sekolah mana, dia nak berniaga ikut mana, dia nak baca apa, dia nak suka siapa, sampai belajar pun dalam famili melayu adik beradik masuk 3 sekolah berbeza  (kebangsaan, cina, tahfiz ) pun no hal, dah besar boleh sokong beza parti, bertuah jadi orang melayu, Alhamdulilah syukur.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 02:08 AM | Show all posts
MenteriWanita replied at 23-8-2019 09:12 AM
Hidup cina dalam Malaysia memang sedih, kecik2 dah kena ikut telunjuk Dong Zong semua kena masuk sek ...
Hidup cina dalam Malaysia memang sedih, kecik2 dah kena ikut telunjuk Dong Zong semua kena masuk sekolah cina, dah di brainwash dari kecik, yuran bukan murah siap ikut sem dari tadika okey,

Sebab tak ada sekolah aliran English/inggeris. Kalau ada tak lakunya sekolah sekolah cina itu. Abang abang aii dulu semua sekolah aliran English tak dak pun masuk sekolah cina. Jadi ckp jer lah pandai menulis cina haram satu benda tak reti.

Dah dewasa sikit semua kena hantar belajar taiwan, hong kong dan China sebab sekolah cina tak ada SPM, jadi sijil tak laku, kos belajar sana bukan sikit, kes suicide pun meningkat,

Dedulu semua hantar pergi London pergi US. Sekarang pun masih sama. Bayangkan tempat aii ni Malaysian students ada dlm 300 orang!! punyalah ramai. Jenis habis belajar sorry naik lori la nak balik Malaysia. Depa rela nak hujan emas dari hujan batu.  Yang hantar cina dan Taiwan sebab belajar tak berapa pandai. Anak sedara aii sorang masuk univ di Taiwan under Tzu Chi. Dpt masuk bukan sbb pandai tapi keputusan exam semua 7Eleven. Dpt masuk pun sebab mak dia active dlm kumpulan Tzu Chi Malaysia. Tak silap dia cpt kumpul 300K derma utk sekolah pertama Tzu Chi di Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur).

Kalau berniaga kena masuk persatuan perniaga cina kalau tak kau bakalan dipalau, itu ja cara nak terus berniaga, siapa suka kena tiaw,

Apak aii dulu orang kuat persatuan Guangxi Assosiation - tak paksa pun masuk cuma kalau masuk semua ahli akan tolong menolong membantu. Tak kena tiaw pun eh. Persatuan terkuat persatuan Hokkien - ini macam set set kito jangan pecah. Asal ko Hokkien jer mesti dpt pertolonga yang padu.
Perniaga Melayu mana nak ada persatuan mcm ni. Asal orang sebelah maju jer siaplah kena bomoh.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 02:11 AM | Show all posts

cina cina dulu janji dpt berniaga buat duit anak anak pandai dah cukup. Cina cina sekarang ni jer yang melebih lebih. Set set ngar komeng tu ler.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 24-8-2019 02:31 AM | Show all posts
kejiranan aku ramai chinese. jiran depan memang ngam, baik hati.

yg baik2 ni, anak2 dia aku tengok hormat mak bapak jiran sama. belajar bagus, kerja bagus.

jiran sebelah samseng. dengan jiran semua nak gaduh. provokasi tak habis2.

sekarang dia dah tua. anak2 ada yg kutip brg recycle, bawa teksi, disko, main games.. asyik gaduh sesama mereka. jiran2 tengok je, even jiran chinese yg lain.

satu hal aku perasan, chinese yg kiasu dan samseng buat hal sendiri ni tak berapa nak bersilaturrahim bersama mereka.

even, jiran satu blok mak dia mati pun, jiran lain mcm tak ambil port.

kat sekolah aku perati anak2 mcm ada geng. siap edar rokok, isap vape. boy and girl sama je. siap racun amoi2 join geng.

nampak.

bila agenda dan misi kau busuk dan tak harmoni. confirm akan melahirkan geng2 yang busuk sesama sendiri kelak.

dah la birth rate semakin declining.

what u give, u get back more. remember that.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 04:43 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
DARSITA replied at 24-8-2019 02:08 AM
Sebab tak ada sekolah aliran English/inggeris. Kalau ada tak lakunya sekolah sekolah cina itu. A ...

My mom chinese & my father malay, my mom won't allowed us to go to chinese school, we can't speak chinese in home, i don't know why, we born that way, my popo side is not good in malay so we can't communicates very well, i guess that what my mom want  

After my popo died, my 5 nieces go to chinese school, only the girls are allowed to do so, some reason its because its the only place near to their neighbourhood, my mom okey with that, how ever they not allowed to speak chinese in home, only in school,

My mom never get involved in any chinese persatuan after marry my father, she totally out from it because she muslim and wearing tudung, i don't know why, does chinese is not chinese when they're aren't buddist, still wonder,

My mom never speak chinese when he meet chinese, become muslim chinese in Malaysia is like automaticaly you're not chinese, it weird but yeah chinese people is really weird & can't be easily understood,

once you don't match what they want from you, they don't want to get involved with you & consider you're not apart of them,my popo not happy with my mom married, her chinese friends don't contact her, her chinese community say he masuk malay, i always correct them she masuk islam, not from chinese tukar malay, she still chinese, tapi balik2 cakap dia masuk melayu,

Soalan saya

1) Cina memang ada masalah dengan melayu ke, sebab cina kawin india ok jer
2) Cina buddist memang musuh ke dgn cina muslim ke
3) kenapa cina suka dengar cakap persatuan dari cakap kerajaan,
4) kenapa cina tak pandai cakap melayu padahal dah duduk lama, sengaja atau masalah takda R dalam bahasa mandarin

Mohon jawab dengan jujur.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 24-8-2019 04:44 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
DARSITA replied at 24-8-2019 02:08 AM
Sebab tak ada sekolah aliran English/inggeris. Kalau ada tak lakunya sekolah sekolah cina itu. A ...

Kau cina rupa2nya.patutlah

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 24-8-2019 06:47 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
MenteriWanita replied at 24-8-2019 04:43 AM
My mom chinese & my father malay, my mom won't allowed us to go to chinese school, we can't speak  ...

Sbb tu drmaza & ustaz firdaus wong nak ubah benda ni. Masuk islam bukan berarti kena tukar agama & tinggalkan keluarga.  Cuba dgr ceramah2 drmaza & ust firdaus wong

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 24-8-2019 06:58 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Oleh ustaz firdaus wong

https://www.facebook.com/285669801544013/posts/2205423739568600/

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 07:03 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
being born here is a gift.

ha ada yg sedar pun. klu born dkt tanah besar sana baru ada akal. tak pun kat indo dgn pancasila nya mmg x merasa mcm di sini..

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 07:15 AM | Show all posts
Tak paham bahasa konon. Nak mintak sedekah kat aku kemarin fasih bukan main pulak

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 08:55 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Sejuk hati aku baca.....

kalau baca komen puak depa kt fb, humang aihhhh... hina sgt la melayu ni. rasa kena ludah kaw kaw

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 09:14 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Malaysia.Doom replied at 24-8-2019 12:39 AM
Orang Cina pon guna perkataan Race untuk bangsa mereka.

Tapi Ada sesetengah Melayu anggap Melayu  ...

Lantak la tak kenal bangsa ke apa yang penting kita beragama islam. Persaudaraan islam itu pentjng untuk menyatukan umat islam yang ramai tapi berpecah2 macam buih di lautan.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 09:24 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
MenteriWanita replied at 24-8-2019 01:12 AM
Hidup cina dalam Malaysia memang sedih, kecik2 dah kena ikut telunjuk Dong Zong semua kena masuk sek ...

Bertuah melayu kerana pilih agama islam walau dilabel pemalas atau apa gelaran buruk sekalipun bagi aku itu adalah kejayaan paling besar no.1 bagi kaum melayu. Bukan senang ooi nak dapat hidayah Allah. Lahir sebagai orang itu satu tuah yang paling besar.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 24-8-2019 09:34 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Hopefully malaysian bersatu semula. Hiduplah bertoleransi.  Sampai bila nak bergaduh? Baru ni nak buat korban lembu pun jd pertikaian kerana menyinggung bangsa lain yg anggap lembu haiwan suci. Dulu x berlaku pun isu mcm ni

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 09:37 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I like william ni, memang posting dia fair. And dia faham perspective kenapa cina dikecam. Sorry to say lah but of late I memang rasa the disparity between race in malaysia memang semakin meningkat and this is sad. Really sad. My generations- we still have friends in different races like masa sekolah dulu mmg common and takde apa pelik pun bila ada bestfrienda yang melayu cina india. Tapi generasi muda in school sekarang sangat sukar to see that. So sad

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 10:40 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Mamat ni kalau dok baca posting dia kt FB mcam something wrong hahahha klau aku ckap nnty kena kecam. Dn walau aku xde direct pengalaman deal dgn dia, kawan aku bgtau dia ni senanye dibalik persona public cemaner dia.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2019 10:50 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
harizs replied at 24-8-2019 09:34 AM
Hopefully malaysian bersatu semula. Hiduplah bertoleransi.  Sampai bila nak bergaduh? Baru ni nak bu ...

Betul.

Dulu ms aku kecil2 kat kampung thn 90s, pak long aku akan panggil org india kalau jumpa biawak ke tenggiling hidup (minta maaf aku tak tau tenggiling ni binatang nak pupus ms tu tp tiap minggu kat tengah jln raya, mesti ada bangkai kena langgar. Zmn tu mmg byk la aku rasa.).

Klu katak tp aku lupa jenis apa, org cina.

Mereka akan makan binatang2 ini. Bagi aku, mereka nak makan apa, adalah hak masing2. Mana ada masa nak menghina.Tapi aku tahu, tak semua org india atau cina mkn binatang2 ni.

Sekarang bukan main lagi. Celupar masing2 sbb adanya hak kebebasan bersuara dan lagi2 ade platform med.sosial,  langsung xde batas.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-3-2024 07:06 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.414146 second(s), 52 queries .