CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 2183|Reply: 2

Ancient Shark Fossils Found In Underground Cave

[Copy link]
Post time 1-10-2020 09:30 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
In 2019, paleontologists and scientists made a rare discovery during a dig in Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. A massive skull belonging to ancient species of shark that lived some 300 million years ago has been found in an underground cave. Experts believe it belonged a Saivodus striatus, which lived between 340 and 330 million years ago during the Late Mississippian geological period.

This species of shark is believed to have grown to the size of a modern-day Great White, between 3.5 to 4 meters in length. Scientists who investigated the new discovery found that part of the shark’s head is preserved in the cave wall, not just the teeth, including part of the jaw and chin. Apart from teeth, shark fossils are hard to find because shark skeletons are made of cartilage, which usually decomposes before it can be fossilized.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 20-3-2022 03:57 AM | Show all posts
Edited by Taylorsedan at 20-3-2022 08:02 PM

There's no feeling in the world like finding something as old as that.

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2022 03:58 AM | Show all posts
Edited by Taylorsedan at 29-3-2022 02:56 PM

So this particular type of meg tooth fossil the tooth is replaced with a different variety of rock than is found in any of the other places you find megalodon teeth. But I have a fairly general question about shark teeth one might find. How do you differentiate between a shark tooth fossil (I suppose a very old one) and a one that had been recently shed? For instance, I purchased a shark tooth. I did some background reading on what constitutes a fossil, but am still slightly confused.

Here is the source from where I purchchase giant shark tooth from. Do let  me know your thoughts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 04:09 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.522526 second(s), 30 queries .