Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: Greenbottle3

An art addict

[Copy link]
Post time 24-3-2005 01:54 AM | Show all posts
Mr GB n all,

Yah, u have a good memory.  I copy the paintings from an old exhibition catalog, Balai Seni Lukis Negara 58-88.  Unluckily there is only one painting of Georgettes.  Inshaallah, I will paste it here if I will see anything of hers.

He he he… the thumb ups only can be given by moderator.  Only moderators have the extra function.  Its okay, credit is not my aim here. I prefer the sharing knowledge.  If u realize here, not many forumners could share the art experience or painting information.  So, for me u are like a big thumb up…

I tried to get the article on Salleh Ben Joned from my professor.  But other lecturer borrowed it. Then, when I asked him, he didn’t have it.  Hmmmm

However, I will tell the incident that I know.

The issue was about Salleh article ‘Kencing dan Kesenian’.  It started from an exhibition of some national artists.  The artwork ‘Toward Mystical Reality’ by Redza Piyadasa was the issue.  I’m not sure if it was a toilet bowl sculpture or coca cola tins painting.   In that year Redza just returned back from his study in Hawaii.   Salleh apposed at the artwork.  Redza and other artist depended the artwork bcz the art subject was based on everyday activity.  Then, Salleh had pees in the exhibition to show his point about the everyday activity. Even though Siti Zainon Ismail tried to help, the issue never came to an end.

These recent years, I leaded my life in a small town, working at school, looking after my dad and having some activities with colleague.  Didn’t have much opportunity or interest on someone like Amir Muhammad and his work.  As I was using the Internet usefully, I know who he is.

After this, I will be working in an institution so I have to gain more knowledge in anything related to culture n art. There r big different about ‘pakar budaya’, ‘budayawan’, ‘seniman’, ‘sasterawan’ or ‘artist’.  I dream to be one of those, of course, not the last three…

I was interested to do research in art philosophy of Malay, Hinduism n Buddhism but has to change it bcz didn’t have much sources n references.  

Now, I will do research about art auditions.  Most researches were about art elements, artworks and artists.  So, I like to do something different n useful for others.  My professor has agreed with it.  Maybe I will stay at any art gallery for a few months. Try to gain some information’s about the visitors.  Hmmm, I have to brush my English spoken, to approach the foreigners.

I think, talking to foreigners is not a problem bcz they r understanding.

[ Last edited by fleurzsa on 24-3-2005 at 01:57 AM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 29-3-2005 02:45 AM | Show all posts
Hi all,

I am so busy with my assignments and examination.  Wish me luck, kay... Not in the mood to have long post.  What I want to share here is I will have my own art studio soon.  

Actually, I was thinking whether to have a library or a studio.     Then, when I was realize that I love to built things, so I chose a studio.  It’s only a small room, compare to my professor studio in Shah Alam. He bought a house for a studio.  Of course, he is world famous and I am not an art addict... he he he he

My house will be ready in two months, so I’m doing plan for the built in shelves, cabinet, grill etc.  So if u all have any suggestion please do so.  

I paste some pics here...

[ Last edited by fleurzsa on 29-3-2005 at 03:03 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2005 10:48 PM | Show all posts
Ms Fleurzsa!!

I wish you all the best in your exams....interesting time for you with new house and all the rest...who's the man about the house?...lucky guy....

That's  agreat idea to have your own studio...do you mean a studio for you to do the paintings and stuff??

You sure have a lot of empty walls to hang the paintings....

One recommendation perhaps...may be you know all the good mags about interior decorations...I mean "Architectural Digest" , " House & Garden" and "World of Interior"....

I like these 3 mags because they show houses with really great paintings on the walls... picassos, matisse, kandisky all the rest...you name it...also sculptures ...and libraries....and they feature famous people's houses....

Forget Impiana, or Anjung Seri.... these mags are only for people with no real understanding or love of  arts and books.....

Use magic Report

Post time 6-4-2005 12:46 AM | Show all posts
Hi… Mr  GB n all,

I will be getting married next month.  There would be a small party and only few people will be invited, including you.  Don’t bring any gift; just bring someone to marry me! Ha ha ha gotcha…just joking…

Hmm..  I will be a liar if I write there isn’t an unlucky guy.   But I bought the house not bcz I want to settle down.  Actually, about ten of my colleagues bought house at the same location.  4 of us are bachelors.  

I’m not thinking about interior design yet.  Some grills for good safety and built in cabinets for a thrifty space only.  I don’t go into Impiana and Anjung Seri magazine too.  I like practical environment.  Clean, neat and anybody will be comfortable n relax.  One of my friend houses is like that.  But he is a good Judaism.  I like this house too (pic), quite simple.

Yup, it will be my studio for creating art works, mostly paintings.  I can see now that I got lot of empty spaces to hang paintings.   I like the idea of using my house as a gallery, where people can appreciate art.  

My last exam will be on this Saturday… I will start to work on ur painting in my 3 months holiday.  I’m thinking of still life, maybe some clothes on clothesline.  How about woman underwear’s, as u like erotic painting… he he he

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-4-2005 07:42 PM | Show all posts
Ms Fleurzsa;

Now that you have finished your exams (I think) you can come in here more often...

Regarding you thinking about painting a still life of cloth on clothsline...what a coincidence... a couple of months back I went to Shah Alam art gallery ...you know the one beside the lake near PKNS ...they have this exhibition and one of the few paintings I like was this big black background painting with cloths on a clothesline...and the only bright color was this bright rad cap... a very attractive painting and the price was relatively cheap compared to others at about RM960 ...I was thinking of buying it and asked the gallery official there to get the contact # of the artist (a woman I think) but he can not give it because it was in an office and it was locked ..that day being saturday I think...and I forget all about it till now that you mentioned you want to paint your pink underwear for me..heh heh heh....well I'll hold on to your promise....

By the way does anybody here know if UiTM have an exhibition of their students' exhibition...may be say their final year projects or something?...and how I can get to see them??

Use magic Report

Post time 11-4-2005 09:30 PM | Show all posts
Hi all..

Finished my exam... yes! yes! yes!...  :music: but I will busy travelling around until next week.

Woooo... sorry nokio...not mine, sir. I will window shopping in KL and see anything sexy that look innocent and sketch them in my mind..

Its only art.. no big deal..

Yah..  I really have a lot to share about art and painting infos... of course, still not finished about the polemics too.

Inshaallah...I will lent my ears to any exhibition news in UITM and tell u...

My professor will be having his seventh solo exhibition in Singapore... he said on 28th April and will email me the address..  I hope to be there but I lost my visa and have to wait for a month to get a new one.:cry: I hope i still can visit it.  

Mr GB,

Do u know about the 'profesor serba tahu' in Gila2? I just knew about it....He is really a famous professor now and will be having his solo exhibition soon.  Actually, Im quite friendly with him.. I will try to get his skecth or painting for u.  I dont make a habit to ask people for anything. Sincerely appreciate ur hobby then.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 8-5-2005 11:13 PM | Show all posts
Ai hai...

It's been quite a while...but I'm back...have been busy lately and with the two big book events...KL Book Fair at PWTC and TIMES warehouse booksales at Jln 13/4 PJ....I've been spending a fair  bit of money ...almost RM700 on books...there were so many cheap but high quality books esp at TIMES booksales and it really drives me crazy... and made a heavy dent on my pocket too...

I'm addicted to Art, also books and a few other things beside...I'm cataloguing my recent acquisitions and will list it here sometimes...It's heaven...I got to buy all those recent Booker Prize winners and short listed books  for RM8.00 each at TIME Warehouse sales....unbelievable....Yellow dog by Martin Amis, Line of Beauty -Alan hollinghurst (Booker winner 2004), Life of Pi- Yann Mantel (booker winner 2002?), the Swimming Pool Library-Alan Hollinghurst's first novel,  The Master -Colm Toibin, Cloud atlas -David Mitchell , etc etc..Dairy of a snail -Gunther Grass, and lots more...Tibor Fisher, Kafka...Mario Vargas llosa Jose Saramago Marquis de Sade's 120 days of sodom.....etc

And lots of non fiction...esp biographies ,...especially happy to get Karen armstrong's memoir /biography ..The Spiral staircase,  Paul Auster's Hand to mouth...diaries of Kenneth Tynan etc

And some art books too!!....
And many travel books...speaking of which...I'm travelling to Bangkok tomorrow ostensibly for biz but  will also  drive up to Chieng Mai from there and may be go around up to Chieng Rai hopefully...depend on my Thai friend where he'll bring me..but should be interesting...and of course I'll only  go back after I visit Bangkok sprawling chatuchack market on the weekend...Love to wander around and see all the  things they sell there...I especially like the antique and book sections....

Use magic Report

Post time 8-5-2005 11:55 PM | Show all posts
Hi Mr GB,

I nearly forgot about u… he he he…. Surely it is for a short time only.  U r my art friend here.

Yah..  I can understand how u felt.  I was visiting the book fair at PWTC too.  Before that I also went to some secondhand bookshops.  Actually, I mean to meet a new publisher with it new books at the PWTC.  When I entered the main entrance, everything in mind was lost, only things infront of me.   

I bought magazines that I didn’t have opportunity or slip to buy, like Dewan Budaya, cartoon comics, cartoon books, etc.  Most the books I bought were about Islam.  

So it will be Bangkok ur next place. Bon voyage. Take care.

[ Last edited by fleurzsa on 8-5-2005 at 11:56 PM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 20-5-2005 06:41 PM | Show all posts
Polemic, which is between Syed Sheikh Al Hadi with the community who’s apposed to figure art. – Al Ikhwan magazine (1929)

This was about a thinking clash of Kaum Muda and Kaum Tua.  Kaum Tua thought Art Education was not appropriate in school.

Kaum Muda was using Al Quran and Hadis in backing their points while Kaum Tua was being orthodox.

Syed Sheikh is open-minded ulama.  He gave out an important example:  Why Mesir didn’t destroy the sphinx and pyramid.  Everybody knows that Mesir has lots of ulama.

U know what… If Kaum Muda failed in this issued, I’m surely having other job now. He he he

Syed Sheikh Al Hadi

Off topic…

Some objects r better let exist as a reminder to other people after that.

Here an interesting topic I discussed in M&M board.

http://forum.cari.com.my/viewthr ... t=firaun%2Bfleurzsa

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2005 10:02 PM | Show all posts
ah....i'm back again....

figures in islamic art eh?

although islam is supposed to proscribe any form of images the fact is figures have are present in muslim art in muslim countries even as early as hundreds of years ago....we can see many of these in mughal paintings and illustrations of books from persia for example.... in fact there were even representation of Nabi Muhammad riding on buraq and Saidina ali etc...

I'll paste some examples of these taken  from a book that I bought in the recent TIMES warehouse booksale here one of these days....

I in fact have two oil paintings (not terribly good) of two muslims that I admire very much...one is a copy of a famous painting by an Italian old master of Mehmet II the Turkish ottoman sultan that captured Constantinople which forever changed to Istanbul and dealt a death blow to Christian byzantine empire....

The other is a potrait of Ayatollah Khomeinie...the man responsible for the downfall of the corrupt shah of iran.

I was very tempted to get a potrait of Osama ben Laden done but I keep on procrastinating and till now don't get to have it done...but one day i will...he's another person that i deeply respect for his idealism and striving for islam....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-5-2005 08:51 AM | Show all posts
....ah and now I'm looking for someone to do a charcoal sketch of a potrait of Shamil Basayev...the Chechen leader who's still fighting for Chechnya Independence from Russia right now....

During the reign of Akhbar the great, mughal miniature paintings were at its highest achievement. Ahkbar was very interested in collecting art and he had a team of court artists to do paintings for him...his son jahangir was like wise the same...and thanks to them we have really beautiful mughal  miniature paintings....

And here are some of the pictures from Islamic art which have human figures in them...

1) notice the man without the face and fire around the head...he's supposed to be Nabi Muhammad s.a.w

(I have another one with face , the prophet riding on the Buraq ...I was quite sure  I've already put it in my photobucket..but I can't find  it there! ...so may be I was not meant to paste it here...)

2) A sultan

3) Here's another beautiful  picture

4) Here's my oil  copy of Sultan Mehmet II the man responsible for giving us Istanbul

Use magic Report

Post time 8-6-2005 10:03 PM | Show all posts
Mr GB,

That was interesting topic u showed us.  Im sorry if I seem to take time to reply ur post.  I always follow my mood in doing anything he he he...

I like to add that the tradition of making images (miniature paintings) in Islamic Culture can be find in:

1.  Miniature paintings from Persian.

2.  Miniature paintings from Turkish.

3.  Miniature paintings from Moghul India.

4.  Miniature paintings from Fatimiyah Mesir.

5.  Shahnama manuscript.

Last week I was in Singapore.  Guess what?  There r Singapore Arts Festival from 26 May to 26 June 2005.  Many arts events at lots of places in Singapore.

I went to Singapore Art Museum.  There was exhibition of Georgette Chen  works.  It will continue until 31 July 2006.

Better give u the link....

http://www.nhb.gov.sg/SAM

Here 2 pics by her I took without permissioned... just for u...

One more thing...

U visit galleries and museums around the world.  Why dont u make the entry tikects as a collection and frame it. U will have ur own artwork.:bgrin:.

[ Last edited by fleurzsa on 8-6-2005 at 10:11 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2005 01:36 AM | Show all posts
Oh hai;

It's been quite a while since I come into this room... it's quite dusty now...

let's see, first... Ms Fleurzsa's comment about why I don't keep my museum entry tickets and make a kind of collage or something?

Actually I do collect some of these tickets...I keep them in an album...I have all kind of tickets... tickets to concerts (Sting, Peter Gabriel, and yes...micheal jackson when he came to Malaysia some years back...)...tickets to museums, art galleries etc...one album is already full....

before I go to other things... a small comment on M Jackson...I find this guy more and more interesting by the day...and pitiful too...such a wierd guy...and getting so "white"!...and his nose falling off from his face!...I'm very happy that he was freed from that awful trial...he may have done a bit of naughty things to that young boy but I don't think that it was anything really serious... so..give the poor bugger a break... there was a very good movie about war in Iraq (the first Iraq war) I think it was called " three kings"...one episode was very funny..when an iraqi interrogator questioned a captured american..and there was a reference to m jackson...go watch it....it's a beautiful anti war film....

And regarding Georgette Chen...! I wish I can go and see this exhibition in S'pore... I was on transit on S'pore airways from Manila last week but no time to go out and check it out.

Next week I'll be travelling to Vietnam and again have a short transit at Singapore airport...but I don't think I'll have time to go out of the airport...but lets see...

By the way...this year I decided to travel by singapore Airlines... although I'm as patriotic as anybody , I've had enough of Malaysia airlines for now... the aircraft to shorter destinations is just the same one they use for internal flights..whereas S'pore use big aircrafts and with excellent video/audio facilities!....so singapore wins again....

On to another topic...what art magazines do you all read?
As for me the best I've ever discovered so far are as follows...you may want to check them out...

1: Apollo
2: ARTnews
3) Orientation
4) Arts of Asia
5) Daruma
6) Art of America

Here are the links....enjoy

http://www.artnews.com/
http://www.apollo-magazine.com/index.php
http://www.artsofasianet.com/
http://www.orientations.com.hk/
http://www.artinamericamagazine.com/
http://www.darumamagazine.com/

ps...ms fleurzsa...how's the progress with your house now..is it finished?..you living there all alone now?  or with big bad husband?....how about a few pictures ?...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-7-2005 06:58 PM | Show all posts
ah..it's so lonely in here now...empty house

no one to talk about art..but I'm addicted to it so, i'll just mumble to myself then...I'll just regard this room as another of my blog (I've a blog on books but i do not update it too often...)..

Just back from vietnam... this time no time to visit art musems.. (nothing outstanding in vietnam as far as I know) but managed to visit the Mai Lai memorial (you know... the famous 1968 massacare by US soldiers of villagers including young children in Central vietnam)...and near Mai Lai is Mai Son... this was an old Cham kingdom's sprawling complex of hindu temples and may be even palaces... unfortunately it was almost totally bombed out by those american *****s and only a minute fraction is left standing...if it were left intact it could possibly rival angkor Wat....

It makes me feel terribly sad ...and talking about sadness, have you ever cry over a painting?...people cry over all kind of silly things ...even over idiotic tv programs like akademi fantasia...but over paintings??...

I read an old issue (2003) of  ARTnews article about this and there ARE people who cried over art... some of the paintings people are known to feel lachrymose in front of it are those by Caspar David Friedrich, a few others which I can't recall now and Mark Rothko....who on earth cry over mark rothko's paintings!... these people must be mad!!

...I'll post a few pictures of My Son ruins in my next posting...may be..

Use magic Report

Post time 21-7-2005 09:07 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 21/7/05 06:58 PM:
ah..it's so lonely in here now...empty house

no one to talk about art..but I'm addicted to it so, i'll just mumble to myself then...I'll just regard this room as another of my blog (I've a blog  ...

not empty, more like a haunted house actually
there r viewers...perusing now and then...like me
for instance...I can only be an appreciator, not an
artist...do keep on ur mumblings...but nowadays
even art gallery r being used for readings:ah:

[ Last edited by seribulan at 24-8-2005 05:55 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 21-7-2005 11:13 PM | Show all posts
Hi mr GB,

Im sorry u felt lonely.  But u r a big boy. I dont think u scared of empty house.  Maybe ur house has something like an exclusiveness aura so most people here like to read but not having enough idea  to join the conversation.

Thanks for the links.  They help me a lot.

Some art magazines that I read r Dewan Budaya, Arts of Asia, Wings of Gold.  I read about art mostly in books n newspapers.

Im a typical Malay like my dad, a simple person, I read only when needed hmmm...

I already start my class now.  So I will have to read more about art.  I will share some interesting topic with u soon.

About my house...

The house is ready but I still not have the key.  They said this month then... u know...janji Melayu.

I will show u the pics after I put grills n cabinets.

Ha ha ha ha bad husband... Im not visit this forum day n night if Im married.  Better use all my time on him.. he he he

About cry over art,

I cry on anything sad.  Last week I was in Akademi Fantasia concert.  I cried when Ekin was out.

Yes, I nearly cried over painting of Iraqi prisoners abuse. I think the painting audience cried not bcz of the painting only but the related story behind it.

ps. May I join u in using this thread as art blog?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 26-7-2005 06:57 PM | Show all posts
Oh hey....you, srigala and me.... a treesome!!! just make sure JAIS guys aren't around.

Of course you're welcome to use this room as an art blog....a terrific idea...in fact I'd love if everybody comes in here and say whatever in their mind about art... and even better show some of their art here!!..and fleurza you've made a few promises that are still pending...one of which is to show a painting of an underwear or something....what a shame you cried over akademi fantasia!! AKADEMI FANTASIA....oooooh deaaaarrrrr....

I almost cried once over art... I visited Frick's collection on 5th Ave in NY, and I just sat there in front of a Corot landscape... and I just got  kind of transfixed...hypnotised... may be I was too tired from walking so much... so I need to sit and it so happened that the corot paintings were all over the place...and I just sit and stared... and stared...and I tought...how on earth these people can paint such pictures... so I kind of got a lump in my throat..if you know what I mean....but I'm not ashamed to tell you that I cried when watching a film "kingdom of heaven"... during a scene where muslims did their prayers on the hill...before going to war...I felt so touched...I know I'll cry again if Osama ben Laden ever get caught... I love this guy with all my heart...don't get me wrong...I don't condone violence and his choice of method of warring against the super powers...but I love his idealism...and I know I'll never ever be even a thousandth of him....

Use magic Report

Post time 27-7-2005 10:41 PM | Show all posts
Hmmm about ur still life painting by me... how about u visit my university. I will show u around the studios.  U can take the painting at that time.

Dont worry Im not really care who u r.  And my lecturer trust me with any man.  I think all people who know me trust me with any man.. he he he he

U can PM me to set the date, kay.

I cried bcz the 3 girls hugged each other like didnt want to ever separate.  Then 1 of them had to go.  I couldnt help myself.

This painting is for a friend.  He was so busy that 2 times he had to cancel to take the painting. Its acrylic.

Now, Im doing a potrait for a forumner.  Cant show her face here.. he he he

Some paintings I saw in Singapore...

[ Last edited by fleurzsa on 27-7-2005 at 10:50 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-8-2005 07:19 PM | Show all posts
Ms fleurzsa;

you sound like you have  a black belt in karate or something...well i'm not exactly afraid of ladies either but...i prefer to just berkhalwat in cyberspace ...err for now...i'm curious as to who is your art professor... if you don't want to say it publicly as you say...you can pm me....

Anyway here are some pictures of the May son ruins of the old champa kingdom...incidently there are some remaining cham people in Vietnam...mostly in or around central vietnam near Na trang area.., some have become muslims but others are still hindus (cham bani)...unfortunately even those who are muslims, some  are of the syncretic variety...may be something like ayah Pin !!!...these people are not to be confused with the truly islamic vietnam Malays who live in the southern part around An giang (chou doc) area...

Here is a linga....not sure if it's the original or just a copy...it's remarkably left intact...

Here's a statue of some hindu big guy..the head is lopped off.. I'll show some great statues that were preserved in Danang cham museum... the best museum for cham artifacts and treasures in my later posting

and here's the only reasonably good remains of the old cham hindu complex

and here's angkor wat as a comparison...this is of course in Siem Reip , Cambodia.

and here's Ta Phrom ...also considered within the greater angkor wat complex....

and here's one of the erotic apsaras (court dancers ) of angkor Wat

This one below is from May son Vietnam...

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2005 02:22 PM | Show all posts
the Istana Batak at Medan is quite artsy with its colourfull walls...what's so special
the non-usage of nails on it...what's not so special, those people used to be cannibals...
creepy...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-3-2024 10:52 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.364416 second(s), 46 queries .