Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: Greenbottle3

Books you read when travelling

[Copy link]
Post time 2-9-2005 04:25 PM | Show all posts
Saya baca buku  "Into thin Air", pasal disaster Everest 1996,
Rob hall yang mati kat everest tu ada tinggalkan kesan tapak tangan dia dekat  1 rest kat Kathmandu.
so masa saya ke nepal, sangguplah saya cari kedai tu, buku ni beri kesan betul kat saya.

tapi saya jarang membaca kalau travel sebab sentiasa jumpa teman baru utk berbual dan
kalau tak berbual saya tulis travel journal.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 2-9-2005 05:47 PM | Show all posts
Far out Faraway!

Travel journal? boleh share kat sini?

I have a blog on books tapi tak boleh share....you must find it out yourself....

Use magic Report

Post time 3-9-2005 03:31 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 2-9-2005 12:05 PM
Liesel;

Walapun saya Islam dan malah boleh di anggap extremis dalam beberapa sudut... saya suka baca buku2 ugama lain terutama bahai, buddha hindu dan kristian...

bagi saya (maaf kalau menyin ...

haha, i'm not a Christian too, anggaplah itu rekaan cerita dan bacakan saja.  it's like a buku panduan dalam kehidupan.  sometimes when i come across with some little frustrations in life, i will refer to bible and see how it tells me the ways to overcome, e.g. hatred, greed, etc....  it's a good book. follow it and you will keep away those bad qualities in life.

anyway, i'm a buddhist.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-9-2005 11:39 PM | Show all posts
oh really liesl?....well, I'm quite pleased...

I was in Lhasa Tibet last year and felt quite sad when visiting the Potala Gong (Potala palace)..the seat of the Dalai lama....it's now just an empty shell without the Dalai lama.... I'm quite ignorant about the different sects of buddhism...but from my travel I feel Burmese are among the most devout of buddhists....by the way there's a vibrant chinese (Hui) muslim community in Lhasa too....  

One of my favorite books that have a buddhist as one of the  main characters is "Kim"  by rudyard Kipling and despite some criticism by some people that there's an element of racism in this book, still, to me this book is one of my all time favorite...... another one is Herman Hesse's Siddharta...good but not as colorful or 'interesting as "Kim"....

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 5-9-2005 01:44 AM | Show all posts
...seriously...i cant read a book when im travelling...gives me a kind of nagging headache...so...travelling tak bekal apa2 buku...oh...but i do take notes...i take notes of any interesting places that i visited...esp the shopping centres and boutiques that are worth to check them out...:bgrin:

Use magic Report

Post time 5-9-2005 08:45 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 4-9-2005 11:39 PM
oh really liesl?....well, I'm quite pleased...

I was in Lhasa Tibet last year and felt quite sad when visiting the Potala Gong (Potala palace)..the seat of the Dalai lama....it's now just an emp ...

wow, u been to Tibet already, it's on my waiting list to go, maybe next year.. hopefully.
It's quite save for women travelled alone right.

http://forum.cari.com.my/viewthr ... &extra=page%3D1

example of my travel journal.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 5-9-2005 07:16 PM | Show all posts
faraway,

tibet is as safe as any well trodden tourist places... Di Lhasa...some main areas macam Bhakor Jie macam di setengah2 tempat pelancungan Bali /kuta, atau Chiang Mai atau Siem Reap..penuh dengan tourist dan restoran2 macam2... just take normal precaution and you should be fine....

Use magic Report

Post time 5-9-2005 11:26 PM | Show all posts
ajaran Buddha ni memang banyak mazhab, ada yg datang dari Sri Lanka, ada yg datang dari Tibet, Thai, dan macam2.  macam Christian tu pun macam tu jugak ya

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 4-10-2005 07:35 PM | Show all posts
ooo what a terrible thing to happen!!.. I mentioned kuta in my posting above...of all days I picked last saturday 1 Oct 05 to have a quick stop over in Bali....was in acheh doing a bit of volunteer work for tsunami victims at banda acheh and i tought why don't i just take a few days to relieve all the sadness and go to Bali?

It is the peak season now and it was  terribly difficult to get hotels but finally managed to get a very good 3* hotel beside Hard Rock Cafe right in front of kuta beach...aneka beach hotel... and just about 10 minutes walking distance from Raja Restaurant that was bombed....well thank god... i was lucky ...I was all the way up in Ubud at the time of the bombing ...so no real harm done.

interestingly enough i carried "Galapagos" by Kurt Vonnegut for my reading at this time... this is a very pessimistic dark satire on what bad things  our human 'big brain' do to us... the story is about how humans became extinct & a million years after the extinction of human being... and now the human species have 'evolved' into tiny brained furry animals without hands but flippers instead and swimming and catching fish all day long....

here's where the kuta bombing part II took place...and strangely  just like over here where people crowd over acident scenes, I saw a lot of people milling about at the scene at around ten p.m or so... nobody seemed afraid of  follow-up bombs...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 4-10-2005 09:05 PM | Show all posts
rumor was that the doers were Malaysians...

Use magic Report

Post time 5-10-2005 08:44 PM | Show all posts
Happy fasting!

Use magic Report

Post time 6-10-2005 12:46 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 4-10-2005 07:35 PM
ooo what a terrible thing to happen!!.. I mentioned kuta in my posting above...of all days I picked last saturday 1 Oct 05 to have a quick stop over in Bali....was in acheh doing a bit of volunteer ...
...greenie dear...im glad u are ok...thank god for that...amin...

Use magic Report

Post time 7-10-2005 07:50 AM | Show all posts
Happy reading..

Use magic Report

Post time 1-9-2008 10:00 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 2/9/05 04:05 AM
Liesel;

bagi saya (maaf kalau menyinggung perasaan bukan Islam) saya anggap bible salah satu cerita dongengan yang sangat menarik... saya anggap bible satu "great literature"....

firstly, sorry for reviving this years-old thread, but i was actually trying to find any good recc for books while travelling...

and overcame this quote from greenbottle...not sure whether the poster's still active, but i cannot agree more...

all the stories are are a very good story indeed. definitely a recc for any fantasy readers. they're on a par with lotr...

Use magic Report

Post time 1-9-2008 10:29 PM | Show all posts
klau aku travel baca detektif conan je...x pun suratkhabar..
light n x pening kepala.
tp aku rase tak sepatutnye kite fikir org yg bace majalah ringan @ comics ni tak tau mende n utk suke2 jer...
bak kata coldplay kan "if u never try u never know"

Use magic Report

Post time 12-7-2009 05:10 PM | Show all posts
hmm.. skrg nak travel...
save 4-5 buah buku kat henfon...
senang...ringan...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-7-2009 11:19 PM | Show all posts
I bought "Einstein His Life and Universe" at Changi airport yesterday. I guess this going to be travel companion for the rest of the month.
Normally I carry "Bertrand Russel: History of Western Philosophy" which I have 3 copies in my collection. Its a kind of handbook for philosophy and a dose of Bertrand is good before you going to sleep.

Use magic Report

Post time 13-7-2009 05:21 AM | Show all posts
Ahh... saya pun suka membaca but when I'm traveling, I hardly read any book, except maps maybe.
Travel book is a must but any serious reading or research are done pre-trip. Probably the only thing I read was newspapers to know current issues at places I visited Ya lah dulu pi Europe tak lama pas tu Sept 11, then pi Madrid, a day later Madrid bombing pulak. Huhuhu jinx kot ngan Europe ni.

Anyway, just feel it's a shame to be engrossed in a book when outside, the best book (read: nature and people) is spread for you to explore and learn.

Use magic Report

Post time 13-7-2009 11:33 PM | Show all posts
when travel if domestic, aku amik ja apa novel/buku yg ada dlm collection yg belom baca...
(buku Pillars of the earth aku tak baca lagik...elok ja kat rak,tgh tunggu queue..hehe)

tp kalo international flight, aku prefer beli kat airport...grab any new books...
apatah lagi time flight balik..ala2 souvenir gitu...hahaha

Use magic Report

Post time 19-7-2009 11:17 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by thamrong at 19-7-2009 11:19

By thamrong

Stuck in Changi airport for 3 bloody hours last Thursday evening and aint got nothing else
to do perhaps a short visit to Times Bookshop might be a good idea.
A little bit of indulgence is ok I guess so I bought “THE GOD QUESTION: WHAT FAMOUS THINKERS FROM PLATO TO DAWKINS HAVE SAID ABOUT THE DIVINE”
by Andrew Pessin.
Aphilosophical book aimed at the general reader, The God Question explores the most interesting, important, and sometimes strange things that great thinkers – theists, atheists, agnostics, heretics, rastafarians, pastafarians, blabla bla you name it – have said about God. Starts with the concept of idea and form of Plato , Aristotle the first cause, the Christian and Muslim thinkers and it ends with the wisdom of 20th century post-modernist scholars.Not an easy read and at time very mind boggling unless you have the wisdom of history and philosophy. It filled with puzzles and conundrums (or is that conundra?), insight, wit, and wisdom (so says the promotional copy, must be true), and it has something for everyone: the believer, the disbeliever, and those on the fence.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 07:36 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.067946 second(s), 43 queries .