CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: muchomike

Rebirth - What is it?

[Copy link]
Post time 21-10-2007 08:39 AM | Show all posts
TMO remember you asked about how could animals seek better rebirth? I read from a book that we human can help animal to seek better rebirth. By chanting mantra to them could implant dharma seed into their mind which could help them to reborn as human in future life. A good and simple method is to buy a couple ringgit of live crickets, shrimps or guppy fish, chant  a few lines of mantra before releasing them.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 21-10-2007 12:32 PM | Show all posts

Reply #61 SONofODIN's post

they understand the suttra in pali?

Use magic Report

Post time 22-10-2007 06:54 AM | Show all posts

Reply #62 wei_loon5063's post

No but Sanskrit.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-10-2007 10:16 AM | Show all posts

Reply #61 SONofODIN's post

eh... I am not sure about that. IT does sound strange though. I dont think the animals have the ability to understand the mantra. Perhaps doing metta and transfer it to the animals will be a better way.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-10-2007 01:30 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 22-10-2007 10:16 AM
eh... I am not sure about that. IT does sound strange though. I dont think the animals have the ability to understand the mantra. Perhaps doing metta and transfer it to the animals will be a bett ...

are you sure?

Look at dogs.........

dogs all round the world understand language.. in wesern, they sit when human say sit, in china, they say Zhuo and they sit. same goes round the world...........

Use magic Report

Post time 22-10-2007 08:20 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SONofODIN at 21/10/2007 08:39
TMO remember you asked about how could animals seek better rebirth? I read from a book that we human can help animal to seek better rebirth. By chanting mantra to them could implant dharma seed i ...

The Buddha forbid bhikkhus and bhikkhunis to recite or chant mantra, and the Buddha also forbid them to teach other people to chant or recite it.....

Thus, chanting or recite mantra clearly contradicts the teachings of the Buddha.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 22-10-2007 08:21 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 22/10/2007 10:16
eh... I am not sure about that. IT does sound strange though. I dont think the animals have the ability to understand the mantra. Perhaps doing metta and transfer it to the animals will be a bett ...

I personally agree on using metta.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-10-2007 10:30 PM | Show all posts
any reason why Buddha forbade his disciples to recite the mantra?

I think these boddhisatvas actually exist. I think the buddha did not want us to become so complacent having the knowledge that there are actually some beings that is helping everyone in Samsara to achieve liberation. what do you think?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 23-10-2007 07:15 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 22/10/2007 22:30
any reason why Buddha forbade his disciples to recite the mantra?

I think these boddhisatvas actually exist. I think the buddha did not want us to become so complacent having the knowledge tha ...

I do not know... but of course, the bodhisatta exist, and for what reason mantra is not allowed to be recited or chanted I do not know, but clearly, we know that the Buddha does not promote the use of mantra, then how come in our modern buddhist society, especially found in the mahayana tradition, there are many mantras which presents itself as given by Buddha Gotama?

Clearly, many of these mantra is not Buddhism, but people of later times claim it to be, and where the source is I do not know, but is certainly not in the Buddha's discourse.

Use magic Report

Post time 23-10-2007 08:23 AM | Show all posts
IF the Buddha forbade Mantra to be recited, then there  must be some truth in the mantra to beseech the help of the boddhisatvas?

I have attended puja presided by a tibetan monk, the experience was surreal. It was the Empowerment of Manjushri. In fact, that was the moment when I decided to follow Buddha 100% , and I took refuge there and then.

I think Boddhisatvas have their role to play as well as Sammasambuddho, Pecekka buddha, arahants , Devas in the Pure ABodes - they all want us to be liberated, and they all guide us to Dhamma. Even asuras and the Ghosts also have their role to play - to remind us of the truth of existence.

[ Last edited by  tickmeoff at 23-10-2007 08:44 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 23-10-2007 06:49 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 22-10-2007 10:16 AM

Animals don't need to understand the mantras. The mantras are meant to implant in the subconcious of the animals.
Their subconcious understands the mantra. This method is taught in Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. There is nothing strange about it.

Use magic Report

Post time 23-10-2007 06:56 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 22-10-2007 08:20 PM

The Buddha forbid bhikkhus and bhikkhunis to recite or chant mantra, and the Buddha also forbid them to teach other people to chant or recite it.....

Thus, chanting or recite mantra clearl ...

If mantra can help to liberate the poor animals, why not use it. It doesn't do any harm. Vajrayana and Mahayana practise mantra chanting. Mantra chanting also helps in concentration of the mind. I think we shouldn't follow what is written in the book blindly.
During Buddha's time, he forbade his disciple to walk in the street at night. The reason was there was no street light then and it would be dangerous to walk in the dark. This rule doesn't apply in modern time where we have street light, xenon light and HID. Rule is dead, Dhamma is not.

Use magic Report

Post time 24-10-2007 04:42 PM | Show all posts

Reply #69 ariyamusafir's post

There are many teachings which were not taught by Buddha in his life time. Some of the teachings were 'too advance' during that time, Buddha implanted these teaching into the subconcious mind of some disciples. Those disciples would then 'discover' these teachings in their future lives when the time is right.

[ Last edited by  SONofODIN at 24-10-2007 04:44 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 24-10-2007 08:23 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SONofODIN at 24-10-2007 04:42 PM
There are many teachings which were not taught by Buddha in his life time. Some of the teachings were 'too advance' during that time, Buddha implanted these teaching into the subconcious mind of  ...

has thor realise it yet?

Use magic Report

Post time 25-10-2007 09:15 AM | Show all posts

Reply #74 wei_loon5063's post

Thor did not attend any of Budhha's discourse. Buddha taught in the heavenly kingdom of Indra but not in Asgard.

Use magic Report

Post time 25-10-2007 09:47 AM | Show all posts

Reply #73 SONofODIN's post

That idea is a bit far-fetched dont you think?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 25-10-2007 06:45 PM | Show all posts

Reply #76 tickmeoff's post

I don't know. I read it from Vajrayana books.

Use magic Report

Post time 26-10-2007 08:32 AM | Show all posts
they use a different method to reach the tranquil state of mind. i guess it's all up to the individual

Use magic Report

Post time 29-10-2007 09:44 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 26-10-2007 08:32 AM
they use a different method to reach the tranquil state of mind. i guess it's all up to the individual

from a book that i ahve read, there are about 40 ways to tranquil the mind.......

Use magic Report

Post time 11-11-2007 04:49 PM | Show all posts
bertuka jd raksasa lawan otromen

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

30-5-2024 11:34 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.074482 second(s), 42 queries .