CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3478|Reply: 5

ANNIE PROULX

[Copy link]
Post time 25-1-2006 06:08 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
anyone into her???...maybe she's not really familiar with u guys...in fact she didnt really write banyak novel..moslty her karya more to short stories ... so agak tak popular sangat lah die ni...but..what makes me so curious about her works ,after she recieved PULITZER AWARD for her critically acclaimed and wonderful short story BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN...as we all know ... the story has now become a major motion picture and earns many respects from critics ...dan sekarang ni..movie is now a front runner for oscar nominations esp for the best picture as well as best screen play...

however what i wanna tell here is not about her work on brokeback mountain..but her creativity in bringing the readers to feel what she felt while writing the story..a fantastic love story...memang kebanyakan karya beliau banyak menyentuh kalbu ..hehehe...and one more thing..what makes her work so special is every story that she wrote, its all about the cowboy world..the rodeo thing..ranch hands....the poverty..yang betul2 boleh membawa korang kealam cowboy....tu yang istimewa nye tu...macam2 lagi la..i was thinking to recommend to u guys pasal die ni and here i am ...go and get one of her novels...tapi ape kelemahan die ni...( but some would say its normal for every english novel)..hasil karya yang agak obscene dan agak tak elok untuk bebudak...

and these are some of her work in writting...

THE SHIPPING NEWS
THAT OLD ACE IN THE HOLE
POSTACRDS
ACORDIAN CRIMES
HEART SONGS
CLOSE RANGE --- himpunan short stories

this is her..

some of her novels front cover picture

close range

that old ace in the hole

[ Last edited by sayang_mulut at 24-1-2006 10:16 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 25-1-2006 01:09 PM | Show all posts
Aku cuma baca The Shipping News (I think she won Pulitzer for this book not BM). Uniques style. But dull as donkey.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-1-2006 05:50 PM | Show all posts

Reply #2 pessoa's post

haah untuk BM..memang dullas donkey pun..but..juz tengok hasil kayra die..

Use magic Report

Post time 25-1-2006 06:15 PM | Show all posts
Koleksi saya oleh penulis ni ai -lah

THE SHIPPING NEWS
POSTACRDS
HEART SONGS
CLOSE RANGE

lama dulu baca shipping news... but stopped 3/4 way... not because i find it dull but because other books keep on intruding...

brokeback mountain originally appeared in NEW YORKER dan di masukkan dalam collection of stories in 'close range'..

saya baca dua malam lepas mainly because of all the news about the ang lee moview winning globe award and all that...actually quite a good story...but i can't relate to it... don't understand this homosexual stuff...

Use magic Report

Post time 25-1-2006 08:36 PM | Show all posts
At close range with Annie Proulx
Pulitzer prize-winning writer shares insights in short story, film adaptation of 'Brokeback Mountain.'

By Matthew Testa

As brisk ticket sales to Saturday's screenings of "Brokeback Mountain" and related events suggest, not even Teton County is totally immune to being star struck. Although in this case, the buzz seems well justified, as none other than Director Ang Lee ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") is expected to be the Jackson Hole Film Institute's guest of honor. "Brokeback"-related events start Friday evening with a forum on what it's like for men and women of alternative sexual orientations to grow up or live in Wyoming, and continue with screenings and Hollywood-type parties on Saturday.

"The phones have been ringing off the hook," said Todd Rankin of the JHFI, the local arts nonprofit that scored the special screening for the valley, and the group that will reap the proceeds from the event. Film-fanatics have been calling from throughout Wyoming and from as far away as Boise. "We'll be sold out," he predicted.

The film "Brokeback Mountain" originated as a short story by Wyoming author E. Annie Proulx, whose Pulitzer prize-winning novel "The Shipping News" was also adapted to the screen. The story appears in Proulx's first of two collections of Wyoming tales, "Close Range," and is considered by many critics to be the book's standout piece. In this interview, filmmaker Matthew Testa asks the author about living and writing in Wyoming, her thoughts on the story, the movie, and the controversy surrounding the film.

Planet Jackson Hole: How did you come to write "Brokeback Mountain"? What inspired the story?

Annie Proulx: "Brokeback Mountain" was/is one of a number of stories examining rural Western social situations. I was trained as an historian (French Annales school), and most of my writing is focused on rural North American hinterlands. The story was not "inspired," but the result of years of subliminal observation and thought, eventually brought to the point of writing. As I remarked in a 1999 interview with The Missouri Review, Place and history are central to the fiction I write, both in the broad, general sense and in detailed particulars. Rural North America, regional cultures, the images of an ideal and seemingly attainable world the characters cherish in their long views despite the rigid and difficult circumstances of their place and time interest me and are what I write about. I watch for the historical skew between what people have hoped for and who they thought they were and what befell them.

PJH: Did it surprise you that, of all the pieces in your Wyoming collection, "Close Range," it was the story of a hidden love affair between cowboys that was adapted into a major Hollywood film?

AP: Diana Ossana, Larry McMurtry's writing partner, read the story in The New Yorker shortly after it was published eight years ago and urged Larry to read it. They both wanted to make a film from it even though the material was strong and risky. They optioned the story from their own pockets, most unusual for screenwriters. I was doubtful that it actually would get to the big screen, and, in fact, it took years before it did.

PJH: I think it's clear to anyone who reads "Brokeback Mountain" that above all it's a wrenching, starcrossed love story. It is about two cowboys, but it seems inaccurate to call it gay literature. How do you feel about the film being assailed as gay agitprop emerging from liberal Hollywood? Did you ever intend for the story to be controversial?

AP: Excuse me, but it is NOT a story about "two cowboys." It is a story about two inarticulate, confused Wyoming ranch kids in 1963 who have left home and who find themselves in a personal sexual situation they did not expect, understand nor can manage. The only work they find is herding sheep for a summer

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-1-2006 08:50 PM | Show all posts
by the way...baru je dapat pinjam close range...nak bace semua short stories dalam ni..memang menarik..some of my friends kat cn recommend me bace...memang menarik la..hehehe...thx for the info tambahn guys..sekrang dah semangat nak baca novel...

[ Last edited by sayang_mulut at 25-1-2006 01:48 PM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

2-5-2024 01:22 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.346771 second(s), 32 queries .