Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News Update

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 5-8-2006 04:41 PM | Show all posts

2006-08-04

Kim Jung-hoon to Release Album in Japan

Kim Jung-hoon, a member of the male duet UN who has made a successful debut as an actor on the MBC TV drama "Royal Palace," will release his first solo album in Japan in October.

A person from Kim's agency said August 4 that Kim has decided to release an album in Japan after receiving an offer from a Japanese record company, but will not perform the songs from the upcoming album in Korea. He also added that the album will contain mostly ballads targeting a wide audience that feature outstanding melodies.

Kim will visit Japan August 6 to prepare for the release of the album.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1409010_11858.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-8-2006 04:44 PM | Show all posts

2006-08-04

Chang Seo-hee Invited to Shanghai Korean Film Festival

Actress Chang Seo-hee has been invited as a VIP guest to the Shanghai Korean Film Festival slated for October 1 in China.

Chang will participate in all major events of the festival, including a festival eve party and the opening and closing ceremonies.

Chang has received a special invitation to the festival as her popularity soared in China for her roles in the movies "Ghost House" and "My Captain, Kim Dae Chul" as well as the TV drama "Mermaid Girl."

Organized by the State Administration of Radio Film and Television, the festival is sponsored by China's influential institutions, including the Shanghai municipal government, attesting to the popularity of Korean films and actors in China.

Chang's participation in the festival is expected to further boost her status in China.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1409011_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-8-2006 01:22 PM | Show all posts

AUGUST 03, 2006

Dasepo Girl

Do not dismiss the movie "Dasepo Girl" (or Multi-cell Girl) as childish. It comes to you as an intentionally light movie as if it is claiming to be a "B-rated movie."

The film is about comic episodes of bizarre and lively high school students who fully enjoy their lives. It is based on comic strips published on the Internet written by Chae Jeong-taek whose nickname is B-rate Dal-gung. The cartoon was loved by a group of maniacs who enjoyed the harmony of the drawings which one may expect in a boy-meets-girl story cartoons and explicit jokes.

Remade Internet Comic Strips-

The background of the film is Musolmo High School, which is prestigious in terms of seeking pleasure. A teacher and students leave school early citing sexually transmitted diseases and a teacher wearing lace underwear during class asks his student to whip and lash him, which reeks of sado杕asochism. A 揼irl burdened with poverty

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-8-2006 07:10 PM | Show all posts

AUGUST 05, 2006

Speaking Her Mind

She is tough. She is energetic enough to love martial arts. Her provocative charm is more than evident in dance scenes from her latest movie, "Dasepo Girl." Her remarks on a TV show have invited a barrage of criticism. The name Kim Ok-bin is enough to draw the attention of virtually everyone.

She is very busy this summer being cast in a couple of differing roles. She stars in an MBC drama, "Over the Rainbow," as a would-be singer wish boyish charm. In the new movie, "Dasepo Girl," she plays a very cute, interesting high school student. I interviewed Kim, who always wears a big smile, on August 3 at NB, a club in Seocho-dong, Seoul.

She Loves Martial Arts

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-8-2006 08:07 PM | Show all posts
2006-08-04

"You Are My Sunshine," Jeon Do Yeon press conference in Japan

[Report] "You Are My Sunshine," Jeon Do Yeon press conference in Japan

Jeon Do Yeon, the main female lead of "You Are My Sunshine," held a conference at the Cerulean Tower Hotel in Shibuya on the 3rd.

Jeon Do Yeon previously gathered much attention in Japan for her performance with the popular actors Bae Yong Joon and Lee Byeong Heon in "Scandal" and "The Harmonium in My Memory." Amongst many press greeting her first visit to Japan, Jeon Do Yeon appeared in the room shining for the press conference.

"I'm going to say a greeting I just memorized in Japanese. (Japanese) Hello. I am surprised that so many people have gathered and never knew I would receive such welcome coming to Japan. I would like to thank everyone for their interest."

Q. The movie "You Are My Sunshine" was a big hit in Korea. What do you think the reason was? And why do you think the heroine Eun Ha was accepted by audiences?

A. Eun Ha and Seok Joong is encountered more obstacles than normal love that can be encountered in everyday life. I believe by the two having overcome the obstacles, they were able to bring about "destined love." Many who watched probably thought so as well. Even I myself believe that such love exists and in a way I am also waiting for my destiny.

But simply loving someone cannot be deemed "destined love." I believe love only becomes destiny when having fallen in love, one protects that love and assumes the responsibilities that come with it.
Eun Ha was a character loved by many audiences. That was not because she was made to be cute on the outside. I think perhaps she was portrayed in be such a way because of the love Seok Joong gave her. When a man and woman fall in love without question, and the two maintain a good relationship with their love for each other, I think the two shine with beauty.

In Korea they say this saying and perhaps there is also a Japanese way of saying it as well, "A man and woman in love are very beautiful."

Q. You have had a history of many brilliant performances, but what is your approach to each character and piece? How did you approach "You Are My Sunshine" this time?

A. I have appeared in 9 movies until now. In the past 8, I decided on the piece after reading the scenario. The most important thing to an actress in deciding on a piece is the scenario. When the scenario isn't clear, not only is it impossible to act, I would also think it would be hard to direct it.

"You Are My Sunshine" was based on a true story, and it was so strong that I could not believe it. Therefore I couldn't simplify the story to accept it myself. But after the director showed my three pictures, I decided that I want to be in the movie. The first was a picture of the lady who was the heroine of the true story, and the other two were of the gentleman. I was surprised at how much a person could change* and was able to accept the fact that the scenario was based on a true story and decided to act in it.

I struggled for quite a while upon deciding to take the role of Eun Ha, but afterwards it wasn't too difficult. It was because the original role in the scenario was written with me in mind. The director once told me, "I want an Eun Ha that is like Jeon Do Yeon. You don't need to force a different Eun Ha out of you."
I was able to film with much happiness and joy, and much exerting much love.

* While one was a picture of a healthy young man, the second portrayed the gentleman suddenly aged with white hair. Both were of the same person.

Q. Eun Ha was loved by Seok Joong to the point of making many women jealous, but what do you think the reason was? Also, what are your thoughts of the conditions for a woman to be loved?

A. I think Eun Ha was loved that much because she was cute. At the train crossing, Seok Joong turns to look at Eun Ha despite the many other women passing by. In the way that she makes someone look back at her in such a short time frame, I think Eun Ha possesses that certain charm.

Also, seeing her makes one think, "What is such a cute lady doing in a countryside like here?" The irony of her existence to that place brings Seok Joong to fall in love at first sight. And in his case, it doesn't just end at first sight, and rather protects the person until the end which was only possible because of his firm belief that, "This is the love I was looking for. This is my destiny." There are a lot of quotes of Seok Joong I like. He tells his mother crying, "Life ends in death anyways. If I have to die, I want to live and die with Eun Ha." I cried myself hearing the line and thought Eun Ha was blessed. I believe Seok Joong was able to keep and protect his love to the end because he believed it was his destiny.

In regards to the conditions for a woman to be loved, if I knew it myself, perhaps I would have been in a relationship and married by now.

Q. Tell us your impression on the media attention you are gathering during your first visit to Japan. Also, how many times have you been to Japan including for personal reasons? What were you expecting from Japan when you came?

A. Officially, this is my first visit. Before I came, I didn't know many would have interest and was rather worried. I was thinking since I would have much time on my hand, I could sightsee around Tokyo.
But I was extremely moved to see so much media attention yesterday. I thought perhaps since I co-starred with Bae Yong Joon and Lee Byeong Heon who are so popular in Japan I would receive some attention, but did not think it would be this much.

What really impressed and moved me was the fact that not only was everyone interested in my roles and movies I starred in, but also seemed to have researched ahead of time. I was physically tired when I returned to my hotel to rest, but my heart was filled with warmth.

I have visited Osaka shortly before for a photo shoot. At the time, the visit was extremely short and it rained so the situation didn't allow for walking around or touring.

I briefly walked around Tokyo when I arrived the other day and was surprised at the number of people and the liveliness all around. I got the feeling of it being the most foreign of the places I have visited. It was very interesting.
I actually really like hot springs and want to visit one day. I heard Japan has many great hot springs and would like to visit and enjoy the delicious food and rest when I have time.

Q. You have a great filmography until now and it is usually difficult even for female Hollywood stars to continue to select great movies as the years pass. What are your plans from now on and what type of roles and pieces would you like to select as an actress?

A. It may have been similar in Japan, but I think there was a time when it was difficult for an actress to "live in movies" in Korea. I thought, would the audience would think a story focusing on a female lead would be interesting; wouldn't stories and themes with male leads interest audiences more and also believe the audiences thought so as well.

Many envy thinking that I receive a pile of scenarios from which I get to choose a piece, but it is not always so.

There were times I only had 2 or 3 scenarios which was rather depressing and made me think that if the situation continues, I will just get married and have children. But such thoughts changed as I continued working. I would like to choose pieces that flow within taste, and naturally call for me.

Being an actress is not limited to the present. Thinking of the bigger picture and doing things one by one to my fullest is the way to continue to gather the attention of people, so I would like to continue as long and the best I can.

Afterwards, would probably be the same until now, but I never had a goal of becoming a particular type of influence or become a certain way. If I must put it in words, I want to become an actress that can be trusted. And as I have until this day, I will continue to put the best of my efforts into my work and carefully select pieces so that the attention I have gathered today will not die away.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-8-2006 08:08 PM | Show all posts

Jeon Do Yeon, who sincerely answered each question with a smile, showed a true heroine iin herself. After the question and answer session, there was a guest competition of "Korea and Japan's loved woman" with the female comedian group Morisanchu.

Murakami and Kurosawa (Ooshima did not attend) appeared in a Yukata and presented a bouquet of flowers congratulating Jeon Do Yeon on receiving the best actress award at Korea's Daejong Film Festival. In response to a question asking her impression of the Yukata, Jeon Do Yeon commented, "I thought Korean traditional attire was beautiful, but seeing the Yukata, I see it is beautiful as well." Murakami answered by saying, "That was not the prepared comment," making the room burst into laughter.

Murakami commented after watching the movie, "The idea that one could be loved so much truly was charming." She also mentioned that the expression of Eun Ha after drinking the milk Seok Joong gave her is one that all women should learn. When she reenacted the expression, Jeon Ji Hyeon as well as the people in the room laughed.

In a conversation about Ooshima, it was mentioned that the Ooshima couple did not go well with each other at all. Jeon Do Yeon then wished long lasting happiness and life as Eun Ha when Kurosawa said, "By the way, Ooshima weighs 83kg," making Jeon Do Yeon burst in laughter in front of these comedians.

Afterwards, Jeon Do Yeon showed her shining smile, one that makes even those looking smile, in a photo session.

"You Are the Sunshine" gathered 3 million at the theatres in Korea presenting Jeon Do Yeon with various awards and will open in the Fall at Chanter Cine, Q-AX Cinema in Shibuya and other theatres starting the nationwide road show.

[Copyright © 2006 IMX, Inc. All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...;pg=1&no=55

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 7-8-2006 11:05 AM | Show all posts
Aug 7, 2006

Choi Ji-woo Named Korea's Greatest Acting Beauty

Choi Ji-woo smiles after being selected as
the nation's most beautiful actress at
cosmetics maker Christian Dior's 2006
Timeless Beauty Awards.

Top star Choi Ji-woo has been selected by 100 movie industry insiders as the country's most beautiful actress in the 2006 Timeless Beauty Awards sponsored by cosmetics maker Christian Dior. The awards, which were based on surveys of 100 movie industry insiders, seek to raise the status of Korean actresses and encourage their passion for the craft. Also honored at the first awards were Um Jung-hwa, Kang Sung-yeon, Choi Kang-hee and Shin Mi-na. Meanwhile, Monica Bellucci was selected as the timeless beauty representing Dior's new rouge this September.

englishnews@chosun.com  

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21dat ... 8/200608070005.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-8-2006 12:03 PM | Show all posts

Aug 7, 2006

Intimate Pictures of Seven Go on Mobile-Only Release

Previously unreleased pictures of the singer Seven will be made public in the form of a mobile photo collection through mobile service provider M5425, his agency said.

Fans will have an opportunity to see photos not contained in his mini photo book "SE7EN's Diary." The album features scenes from the singer's life around the clock and was published as part of marketing activities to promote his third album released on July 14.

M5425 said the mobile collection features never-before-seen images, from Seven asleep to practicing for a concert, which were selected "considering the fact that cell phones are a personal space," according to the agency.

Meanwhile, the K-pop star is in the U.S. to prepare for his fourth album and to continue his assault on overseas markets. He will return home soon to participate in the YG World Tour concerts which start on Aug. 19.

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21dat ... 8/200608070003.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 7-8-2006 04:32 PM | Show all posts
Aug 7, 2006

Song Seung-heon Draws Attention in Japan before Discharge

The Japanese media is paying keen attention to Korean actor Song Seung-heon, who is to be discharged from the military in November.

Sanspo.com, the online edition of the Sankei Sports, reported Monday that Song, the male lead of Korean dramas "An Autumn Fairytale" and "A Summer Scent," will host an event to meet Asian fans on November 18 and 19 at Olympic Park in Seoul immediately after he is discharged on November 15.

Sansports.com said that the event will be held to mark the discharge of Song, with some 10,000 fans coming from seven Asian countries including Korea, Japan, China and Singapore. A fan meeting will be held on the first day and a special concert featuring singers who sang the title songs of the actor抯 dramas will be staged on the second day.

The online newspaper said that Song is the last major Korean celebrity to not have officially visited Japan, and that some 10,000 members have already joined his official Japanese homepage which was launched on July 19.

According to Sanspo.com, the Korean actor expressed his gratitude for his Japanese fans and said that he would visit Japan in the near future through a voice message that was exclusively acquired by the Japanese newspaper.

Sanspo.com reported that Song plans to appear in a new drama that will be written by Oh Soo-yeon, the writer of the soap opera "Autumn Fairytale,' after his scheduled military discharge.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1409592_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-8-2006 08:38 PM | Show all posts
Aug 7, 2006

Fans Bet Kim Tae-hee's the Marrying Kind

Kim Tae-hee

As Kim Tae-hee's demure image suggests, her fans feel the actress would take to married life like a duck to water. In a poll on the homepage of the Sports Chosun, a sister paper of the Chosun Ilbo, asking which celebrity was most likely to enjoy a model marriage, Kim took the overwhelming lead. The poll from July 30 until Sunday netted the actress 5,265 clicks of support or 48.8 percent of the 10,794 votes cast, making her the week's ideal wife. On the first day, she polled 50 percent. Fans appear to believe that the star will marry well and enjoy a happy marriage.

Two more Lees were next. K-pop star Lee Hyo-lee with her 2,390 votes (22.1 percent) pulled ahead of Lee Young-ae late in the race, leaving the actress in third with 2,300 (21.3 percent). But in Lee Young-ae's case, considering the fact that significant number of respondents were in or around their twenties, her rank wasn't all that bad. Meanwhile Jeon Ji-hyun managed a fourth place with 7.8 percent (839) of the votes.

From left: Lee Hyo-lee, Lee Young-ae and Jeon Ji-hyun

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21dat ... 8/200608070016.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-8-2006 08:44 PM | Show all posts
Aug 7, 2006

Fan Clubs of HOT Organize Events to Celebrate 10th Anniversary

A fan club of the now-disbanded five-man group HOT will hold various events to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the group's formation.

The fan club will hold a party entitled "Since 1996" at the Olympic Park in Seoul on Aug. 19. It will also publish the essay book "Our Story" soon and donate proceeds from the sales of the book to help those in need through the KBS TV program "Love Request."

HOT, which was a highly popular group in the late 1990s, is still loved passionately by its fans despite having disbanded in 2001. The fan club plans to release the group's unofficial fourth digital album to demonstrate its persistent love. The fans themselves wrote, composed, and sang all the songs in the album, selecting vocalists through online auditions.

Earlier on Sunday, Aug. 6, another fan club held a video concert at a park in Jamsil, Seoul to celebrate the group's 10th anniversary.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1409661_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 8-8-2006 01:53 AM | Show all posts
2006-08-07

Hyun Bin, casted in KBS 'Noon Eui Yeo Wang (Queen of Snow)'

Actor Hyun Bin has been casted to be the leading actor of the KBS 2TV drama series 'Noon Eui Yeo Wang (Queen of Snow)' which is scheduled to air this coming November.

'Noon Eui Yeo Wang (Queen of Snow)' is a sad fairy-tale like love story about a genius boxer fighting against a terminal disease and a daughter of a wealthy family that meet and fill each other's hearts. Hyun Bin has been casted for the role of the lead male character Han Tae Woong.

Tae Woong used to be labeled a boxing genius, but is now a high school drop-out that works as a sparring partner at a third-class boxing gym. Lackluster and without a dream, he one day meets a woman and feels destined love.

The drama has also gathered attention due to the participation of writers Kim Eun Hee and Yoon Eun Gyeong who were part of the team of 'Winter Sonata' as well as the producer and director Lee Hyeong Min of 'I'm Sorry, I Love You.'

Lee Hyeong Min commented as the reason for casting, "I thought Hyun Bin would be the perfect fit for the role of the 'unsfortunate genius' Han Tae Woong who, while possessing pureness, must also be able to express childish rebelliousness. Through two characters that hold a twisted view of the world, the drama will tell a beautiful yet sad story that sets it apart from former trendy drama series."

[Copyright © 2006 Goodday News/Goodday E&I Inc. All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/l ... &pg=1&no=56

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-8-2006 12:27 AM | Show all posts
Aug 8, 2006

Ahn Jae-wook's Summer Camp Ends Successfully

Actor Ahn Jae-wook has successfully held a summer camp that he organized for some 550 fans from Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and Malaysia at the Jeju Fitness Town.

The three-day camp, the tenth of its kind, began August 4 in a friendly atmosphere, with both the actor and his fans having great fun together. The singing contest that was held on the first day served as an opportunity to witness diverse Asian cultures, with participants showcasing the traditional costumes, dances and songs of their respective countries. Ahn's fans expressed their strong affection for the actor by dancing the fan dance and the hula dance to his songs.

The Japanese team, the largest in the camp, sang Ahn's song "Only You" in Korean to mark the 10th anniversary of the camp, while the Korean team prepared video footage about the history of the camp.

On the second day, the participants attended an athletic event, played games, held a barbecue party and a mini-concert, and made a campfire to strengthen their friendships. Ahn spent 20 hours with his fans, participating in the majority of the events.

Ahn told his fans that he has been feeling empty since the filming of his latest TV drama, "Mr. Good Bye," ended, and even cut his hair in a bid to forget his role in the drama, in which he was completely engrossed. He also said that he wants to create a camp in which both his fans and their families can participate, adding that parents and children as well as married couples have already begun joining the camp.

A DVD about the camp will be produced in Japan and put on sale all over the world.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1409785_11858.html

Use magic Report

Post time 9-8-2006 11:56 AM | Show all posts
Come see me," Rain (Bi) reveals self-camera photos on mini-homepage
2006-08-08

Singer Bi reveals photos he took himself online.

Bi posted pictures he took himself outside of the spotlight in everyday life on JYP Entertainment's new online community service website 'Joyplace' (http://joyplace.jype.com).

Personnel of Bi's agency JYP Entertainment commented, "Bi plans on continuously posting pictures he takes through the Joy Hompy service for the time being."

Bi is currently known to be recording his fourth album that is to be released this coming October along with the final filming of 'Cyborg jiman Gwenchanah (Cyborg, but Okay).' Bi's third Japanese single will be released early September.

[Copyright ? 2006 Goodday News/Goodday E&I Inc. All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...;pg=1&no=57

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-8-2006 09:16 PM | Show all posts

Aug 9, 2006

Kim Jung-min to Tie Knot with Japanese Singer

Singer Kim Jung-min, 37, will marry Korean-Japanese singer Tani Rumiko, 28, on October 21.

The two were introduced to each other by singer Park Hye-kyung, a regular guest of a CBS radio show hosted by Kim. A person close to Kim said the two became close in just months and that even the members of Kim抯 band haven抰 seen his fiancee yet.

An English major, Tani Rumiko debuted as a singer at the age of 19 and has also worked as a model. She has released several singles and participated in the recording of the original soundtrack of the movie 揃unshinsaba.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-8-2006 02:23 AM | Show all posts
08-09-2006

Nationalism Weakens 'Hallyu'

This is the second in a series of articles on the repercussions of rising nationalism in Korea and East Asia. _ED.

By Kim Tae-jong
Staff Reporter

Nationalism has emerged as a major hindrance to the globalization of the Korean wave.

The popularity of Korean pop culture products, or "hallyu," seemed like a fad, much akin to Japanese pop singers in the 1980s, and Hong Kong movies in the 1990s flooding Asia. But hallyu is extending its influence to several Middle East countries as well.

"Korean pop culture inherently contains an understanding of broad Asian cultural notions with which Asians all over the world can identify. The themes differ from Western pop material, dealing much with human relations and love, that strikes a chord with many Asians," said Joyce Ang, 25, an office worker in Singapore.

But a combination of factors is posing the question whether the wave can maintain at its crest _ the same-old storylines of Korean dramas and movies, the rampant commercialism, and the general rise of nationalism among countries that already share a complicated historical past.

Three major local television networks have started airing big-budget historical dramas featuring the ancient Korean kingdom of Koguryo (37 B.C. - A.D. 668).

But as their main theme is about restoring the lost history of Koguryo, which at one point dominated the northern part of the Korean Peninsula and much of the territory is in today's modern China, they have drawn criticism from Beijing.

Chinese TV officials expressed embarrassment and displeasure over Korea's aggressive production and promotion of dramas featuring Koguryo.

"It can be a worthy effort to look at parts of the little-known Korean history," pop culture critic Kim Heoun-sic, said. "But the approach shouldn抰 be made through emotional nationalism without proper research and study. This is highly likely to trigger unnecessary disputes with neighboring countries."

"As their production budgets have soared to 10 billion won due to spectacle scenes, how could they manage to make profits only in local markets without selling the productions in Asian countries?" Kim added.

Another example is the movie "Hanbando" (Korean Peninsula) which deals with the hypothetical premise that Japan will emerge in the near future as the main opponent of a unified Korea, and also criticizes Japan's allegedly historical distortions of its rule of the Korean Peninsula from 1910 to 1945.

There is no doubt that such "nationalistic" dramas and films cannot appeal to people in China and Japan, two of the biggest markets for Korean pop culture, and they could lead to the spread of an anti-hallyu movement.

Hallyu Stars and Nationalistic Fans

Nationalistic Korean fans have often embarrassed the hallyu stars.

As more and more local stars have made their ways in other Asian countries, local fans want their stars to show patriotic behavior when it comes to politics and diplomacy.

In a press conference last year, big hallyu star Bae Yong-joon, better known as "Yonsama" in Japan, was asked about his views on the conflict between Seoul and Tokyo over the Dokdo issue.

He refused to give an immediate response, saying that he would speak about it later. But his reluctance drew criticism from many Koreans who wanted him to take a stronger stance on the issue.

Through his Web site (www.byj.co.kr), Bae later expressed concern that an emotional backlash could lead to a worsening of relations and called for "rational response.''

Korean pop singer BoA participated in year-end festivals in Japan without visiting her country, and many people blamed her for neglecting her duty to take care of home fans and criticized here for her preference for Japan to Korea.

Such emotional nationalism has eroded the popularity of hallyu as the Korean wave is largely dependent on individual stars.

"It is a negative aspect of nationalism for Koreans to force their stars to take strong stances on political and diplomatic issues. It is especially troublesome when they are popular in both countries which are disputing a certain issue," said Kang Myoung-seok, a culture critic who writes a column for the Hankook Ilbo, a sister paper of The Korea Times.

"The real irony is that while local fans download MP3 files of their favorite singers, fans in China and Japan buy their albums. Who do you think they will care more for later?" Kang said.

Cultural Imperialism

When a homemade drama is a hit or a popular singer has a concert in other Asian countries, the local media here competitively dedicate much space for their coverage.

One example is Rain's concert in Vietnam in July. Vietnamese media were highly critical of his "lack of preparation," but local media used headlines such as "Rain Wins All Hearts of Vietnamese."

"It was probably a very proud experience for Koreans to see their stars and movies loved by people in other countries as before they had only imported Western culture and other Asian cultures' influence," Kang said.

Kang believes that Koreans are easily fascinated by the massive success of their culture in other Asian countries, but it could be very dangerous if that pride in their culture develops into cultural imperialism as culture is a matter of taste, not of superiority.

Many experts say that to continue hallyu, an effort must be made to understand the difference in culture between Korea and other countries.

Early this year, Vietnam took the strongest action against the one-way influx of Korean pop culture. The Vietnamese government insisted that they would ban the import of Korean dramas and movies unless Korea imports Vietnamese cultural products.

Such a strong stance comes from the awareness of the Korean culture抯 strong impact on its people.

"Vietnam was one of the countries where the Korean wave was initiated, but it is also true that people there have also raised the first protests against Korean pop culture," said Kim Su-yee, a professor at Kyunghee University. "It's exceedingly pitiful only to think about economic profits.拻

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

08-09-2006 18:30

Source: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...18295211720.htm

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 10-8-2006 02:24 AM | Show all posts
Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Actresses venture to show their other side on TV

Last year actress Kim Sun-ah became a household name with her beguiling "girl (or woman)-next-door" character Kim Sam-soon in the phenomenal hit television drama "My Lovely Samsoon." Besides her oh-so-real act, Kim bravely gained 8 kilograms for the role, earning the nickname of Korean Renee Zellweger.
More actresses are following in her footsteps on small screens, willingly taking on parts that are far from attractive, instead of playing typical, pretty faces.

One of the most notable is Park Jin-hee, who is starring in Seoul Broadcasting System's "Please Come Back, Soon-ae," opposite Shim Hye-jin.

Park is a 20-something flight attendant and has been having an affair with Shim's pilot husband. Their fates cross even more when the two women get into a car accident and find themselves in each other's body.

Park Jin-hee (left) and Shim Hye-jin in "Please Come Back,
Soon-ae"(SBS)

Park's performances as a married 40-year-old have impressed viewers; from blabbering with her friends and dancing at a sauna to making phone calls while sitting on a toilet. Considering her previous sexy, prim image, she definitely has taken a big step. The same could be said of Shim, although she already bowled over her fans when she appeared as an eccentric, comic vampire character in horror sitcom "Hello, Francesca" last year.

The veteran actress was an icon of urban chic when she started acting and modeling in the late 1980s. In the drama, Shim appears as a strong-minded yet vulnerable former field hockey player, free of makeup, only accentuated with free-flowing permed hair, often carelessly fastened with a hair clip.

On the same nights, another veteran actress Chae Si-ra is leading the drama Korean Broadcasting System's "Invisible Man, Choi Jang-soo," competing for viewers. For over 20 years, she has maintained her position with her serious acting, most notably in period dramas.

Eugene in "Love Truly" (MBC)

But for this drama centered around her and her husband Choi (played by another heavyweight actor Yoo Oh-sung), who seemingly runs away from the family, especially after their son is born with a developmental disability, she has drastically changed her appearance. She had her hair cut and permed like a typical mom and is dressed comfortably. And her character So-young does everything, from washing cars to selling insurance, all for the family. She laughed and cried the whole time reading the script, said Chae. As she recalled, it would be her first gritty role since she played Young-sook, a bookkeeper who is exploited by a gigolo, in "Moon of Seoul" in 1994.

Kim Ji-young, best known as Bokgil (no last name needed here) from "Country Diary," one of the longest-running dramas in local television history, will also play a fearless mother in SBS's "My Lovely Fool," starting tomorrow.

She is a 33-year-old single mom with a 7-year-old son with an incurable disease. She lives through a nightmare, pursued as a fugitive in Saipan for being an illegal immigrant, and finally returns to Korea for another try.

This weekend, Song Yoon-ah, whose image has been more prudish and sharp, is readying to surprise her fans with SBS's "My Sister." As the writer promised, Song will portray a woman who struggles to make it through her sudden poverty-stricken life with her brothers after their father's death. Instead of a classic sister, though, her character Yoon Seung-joo will be a self-centered, fickle graduate student who is quick to lose her temper with her brothers yet is sweet to her boyfriend.

Next month, even more heat will be added when actress Goh Hyun-jeong joins the race with her Munhwa Broadcasting Company's "Yeowooya." Determined to break her own stereotype, she has reportedly cut her hair off and tossing around dirty jokes to play Goh Byeong-heui, a 33-year-old writer who works at an adult magazine.

The veteran actresses' willingness to abandon beautiful looks and classy characters will undoubtedly delight television viewers but for some up and coming ones, there have been skeptical voices saying that the efforts were also partly an attempt to mask poor acting.

Sexy icon Lee Hyo-ri failed to boost her first drama "Three Leaf Clover" (SBS) last year although she valiantly chose to discard her smoky makeup and sexy clothes and played a high-school dropout working in a factory. Eugene, formerly one of the girl band S.E.S, has won mixed reviews with her dialect in her chef's role on MBC's "Love Truly."

Another singer-turned-actress Yoon Eun-hye, following her debut in "Princess Hours" (MBC) earlier this month, had to go through another controversy for her role in the KBS drama "The Vineyard Man." She portrays a city girl who goes through a series of unfortunate circumstances while in the countryside, only to later fall in love with a man during it all.

Although it is too early to tell, as only four episodes have been aired, the drama is slowly gaining fans and scored a double-digit viewing rate this week, despite the fact that it is in the same time slot with the hit MBC drama "Prince of the Legend."

(glamazon@heraldm.com)

By Hwang You-mee

Source: http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00608100018.asp

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-8-2006 02:40 AM | Show all posts
Fly Daddy

AUGUST 10, 2006 05:29

Scene one: by a window with sun shining on it. The camera takes a close-up shot of Seung-seok who is leaning on the window with his left leg slightly bent. With his mouth delicately shut, he is focusing on reading "Che Guevara." Although having said that fighting meant everything in his life, he still reads from the book, looks out the window, reads another page, and immerses in thought.

Scene two: Ga-pil swears that he will fight for his daughter. Nevertheless, fear still lingers inside him. At that precise moment, Seung-seok comes to him and says with the lowest possible tone, "Don't you want to protect what is precious?"

These are scenes from the movie adaptation of Korean-Japanese novelist Kaneshiro Kazuki's novel "Fly Daddy." The plots revolves around the everyday-average father Chang Ga-pil, played by Lee Moon-sik, becoming stronger after meeting with high school senior and fighting champion Koh Seung-seok, played by Lee Jun-ki. The essence of the movie is the process where the ultra-realistic character Ga-pil meets with the four-dimensional Seung-seok in order to harmonize with each other.

Seung-seok lives in his own world without compromising with anything. The acting of Lee Jun-ki, who plays Seung-seok, seems to carry an unknown narcissist nature. Over half of his lines are ancient proverbs, adages or accurate statistic figures that only show up in encyclopedias. On top of that, unlike a native of an "Eastern Courtesy Country," his words lack any respect whatsoever. His school uniform tie is always half loose, and his staring downward as if he is angry with something makes him look as if he is suffering from severe narcissism.

Then what scores would Seung-seok's narcissism receive? On a scale of five, with five being the highest, some viewers gave a score based various aspects, including his words, actions, and looks.

The Dong-a Ilbo movie review team says, "The book 'Che Guevara, Companero En La Revolucion' is book easy for prince charming to read." Four points for words and actions

Lee Bong-soo: "Lee's real age is 29, in another movie he is 20, Koh Seung-seok's age is 70. Why? Because he is a master." Three points for looks

Che Yi-young: "Even his spasms are lovely." Five points for words and actions

Kim Young-jin: "Koh Seung-seok is not the one that is carefully seducing, it is Lee Jun-ki." Four points for words and actions.

Source: http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2006081095968

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-8-2006 02:41 AM | Show all posts
Aug 10, 2006

"Lump of Sugar" Released to Challenge "The Host"

The film "Lump of Sugar" starring Im Soo-jung has been released to compete with "The Host," which has drawn more than 7 million viewers in just 12 days after its release on July 27, breaking the record of the most number of viewers drawn in the shortest period of time.

"Lump of Sugar" opened in 270 theaters nationwide on Thursday, when the number of theaters showing "The Host" started to be reduced. Some 700 theaters had wanted to show "The Host," but the distributor limited the number to 620 and attached a condition that the movie would be shown for 14 days.

Now "Lump of Sugar," the story about the racing horse named Cheondung, is overtaking "The Host," which deals with a monster in the Han River, in advance ticket sales on the internet movie site MaxMovie.

Another reason for the great interest in the competition between the two films is that their distributors, CJ Entertainment and Show Box, are Korea's biggest film distribution companies.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...0031_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-8-2006 02:42 AM | Show all posts
Aug 10, 2006

Kwon Sang-woo Visits Japan for Movie Premiere

Actor Kwon Sang-woo has visited Japan for the premiere of his latest movie "Spring of Life Comic."

The Japanese daily Sports Hochi reported August 10 that Kwon, a top star in Japan, has visited Tokyo to attend the premiere of his new movie that opens across Japan on August 19, and that the movie topped the Korean box-office for two consecutive weeks when it opened in Korea in March.

When Kwon appeared at the premiere venue, his fans began singing him a birthday song to congratulate him for his birthday, which falls on August 5. In response, the impressed actor said every time he visits Japan he feels like it抯 his birthday.

The fans were delighted to see a Japanese comedian group in charge of promoting "Spring of Life Comic" in Japan appear at the venue with the same hairstyle that Kwon wore when he filmed the movie.

The making-of-film DVD of "Spring of Life Comic," which goes on sale August 16, maintained the second spot for three consecutive days on HMV's daily chart from July 26 through the 28th, and currently holds 12th place.

Entitled "The Concept of 'Spring of Life Comic,'" the DVD consists of two discs and includes interviews with the movie's production crew and cast.

In Japan, the DVD will be sold for 5,800 yen.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...0116_11858.html

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-4-2024 03:41 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.388216 second(s), 39 queries .