CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 20728|Reply: 120

Mcm mana nak power english? (merged with suzy2712)

[Copy link]
suzy2712 This user has been deleted
Post time 27-11-2004 12:58 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Rasanyer dah bertahun2 belajar bahasa ni sejak sekolah rendah sampai masuk U, tapi sampai sekarang cakap masih tunggang langgang especially ttg grammar, mmg hancuss. Pening2.... ANy suggestion?

[ Last edited by  seribulan at 27-1-2007 03:51 PM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

samurai88 This user has been deleted
Post time 27-11-2004 02:00 PM | Show all posts
marilah belaja ngan cikgu bulan kiter..ekekek

Use magic Report

Post time 28-11-2004 08:18 PM | Show all posts
banyakkan baca newspaper, buku citer.. then selak kamus... then jangan malu nak bercakap ngan org lain...

Use magic Report

Post time 29-11-2004 08:14 PM | Show all posts
yup...read, read, read n read...

In my case I like to read dictionary, too...with lots of explanation, examples, pictures n so on...which helps a lot...oh! n thesaurus too...

Use magic Report

Post time 29-11-2004 11:33 PM | Show all posts
It's subjective..and it depends on what kind of person you are. If you like reading, then you should read english more. While reading, do keep a dictionary by your side...hehehe that's what I've been told. But frankly, I'm not into reading much..that's why my english is not good, no better than you maybe. Besides reading, try writing something in english, at the same time do alert of any grammatical mistakes. Grammar is something that easily confused us. That's where  reading helps a lot.

As for myself, I started to have a passion for english language after llistening to those songs with beautiful lyrics.  Another way is to converse with someone you comfortable with. Nothing to be ashamed of if you always realize that it's not your own mother-tounge. Talk and talk..I bet it would help you a lot.

Those are advices from a non-english educated person like me. Need some helps too..:ah:

Use magic Report

emanne This user has been deleted
Post time 30-11-2004 05:45 PM | Show all posts
My way:

Read lots of books, magazines, newspapers...when I was still learning I even read labels, billboards. I memorised lyrics, when i came across a word i don't understand I quickly look it up in the dictionary, like seri I like to read dictionaries n thesaurus, encyclopaedia and the like.  When I watch movies or Englisih programmes i try not to read the subtitles...When I read books, I like to read aloud (in the comfort of my own home of course) so I get the pronunciation right..And I love to read poems too..When i was in secondary school my English teacher would always asked us to practice the language among us...nobody in my class (95% Malays) dared to do it (afraid of being teased) but I went ahead, speaking in English when talking with my Chinese classmates.  I tried to do the same with my Malay friends but their attitude made me sick..so my advice don't be deterred by these ppl...If u want it, u must work for it :music:

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 2-12-2004 01:39 PM | Show all posts
Some ppl said if we really wanna be good in english we should THINK in english. I had some funny experiences about this. In my everyday's life I dont have company to talk in english. So the only choice I got was to think in english. In my case, I lost count for how many times I've been caught talking English while sleeping by friends and family members... poor me, it's the only choice I had.

I have to admit that my english hasnt improved much due to factors like environment, nature of job etc. Perhaps it's getting worse..since I'm no longer thinking in english nowadays..   :bgrin:

[ Last edited by indica on 2-12-2004 at 01:41 PM ]

Use magic Report

emanne This user has been deleted
Post time 2-12-2004 02:14 PM | Show all posts
Yup I've heard that too from one of my teachers...and that's a good way to learn the language...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-12-2004 03:11 PM | Show all posts
I think a person that wants to improve his English must really take it seriously. You should not mix English and Malay when you are communicating to each other. This maybe quite hard for a beginner and you may sometimes unable to find the words that you want to use. However, do the best of yourself and look for dictionary all the time. Seek the help of others that are better than you. Remember, don't mix English and Malays as this will retard the process of learning.

Use magic Report

suzy2712 This user has been deleted
Post time 13-12-2004 03:05 PM | Show all posts
thanks alot...:tq: i'll start think in english now

Use magic Report

Post time 14-12-2004 09:54 PM | Show all posts
i think i'm lucky bcz i understood the grammer though less read....but i'm lack of vocabs....thats why i still need to read more.....
songs also help me much....
when i was in school,i used to buy exercise books (other than suggested by teachers/lecturers) and did the exercises on my own....if i have problems teachers would be my reference.....
and i was in a univ which use english as bahasa pengantar.....all lectures and all text books are in english....lecturers also communicate in english....

so what u need is the 'english speaking'(or english spoken????>>>>which one is right?)environment..............

Use magic Report

Post time 14-12-2004 09:57 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ckinsung at 27-10-2004 03:11 PM:
I think a person that wants to improve his English must really take it seriously. You should not mix English and Malay when you are communicating to each other. This maybe quite hard for a beginner ...

thats wat i usually did...ahahahah....and i sometimes cant find the word though the word is very familiar to me.....even in malay....ahahahahaha

Use magic Report

Post time 14-12-2004 11:32 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mrs_livingstone at 14/12/04 09:54 PM:
so what u need is the 'english speaking'(or english spoken????>>>>which one is right?)environment..............

both can be used...:ah:

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2004 02:12 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ckinsung at 12-5-2004 03:11 PM:
I think a person that wants to improve his English must really take it seriously. You should not mix English and Malay when you are communicating to each other. This maybe quite hard for a beginner ...

i don't quite agree here, as like u, i can't speak english that much as i don't really hv anyone to speak to, so i THINK in english, been doing that for years, but i don't think i've improved.

mak aku citer, dulu2 dia skolah melayu, then masuk skolah menengah, english school sbb dtg dari keluarga yg sgt2 miskin, jadi kakak dia yg sulong masukkan adik2 ke english school so that boleh la maju sikit, biar tak mkn takpe, as long as masuk skolah bagus. so mak aku ckp, 13 yrs old masuk skolah omputih, peralihan (sbb skolah rendah skolah melayu) then at 14 yrs old baru blajar omputih, and those 5 yrs at school turned her into a fluent english speaker.

aku.. dari std 1 sampai la ke form 5 blaja english, pastu masuk univ blaja lagi, tak pandai2. tuh mak aku fenin tuh.. ha ha..

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2004 06:00 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by seribulan at 27-10-2004 11:32 PM:

both can be used...:ah:

thanks....seribulan....u speak perfect  english.... were/are  u a TESL student?

to improve my vocab as well as my english, i tried to read an english story book.... but.....dah berbulan2....belum habis2...
.before trying to read something in english i have to love reding first.....this is the hardest attempt......:cry::cry:

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2004 06:29 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mrs_livingstone at 15/12/04 06:00 PM:

thanks....seribulan....u speak perfect  english.... were/are  u a TESL student?

to improve my vocab as well as my english, i tried to read an english story book.... but.....dah berbulan2. ...

nope...I dun speak perfect English...coz I'm no native speaker...b4 dis
I read a lot..so it enriched my vocab n strengthen my grammar...but I'm
not perfect..even native speakers r not perfect...nobody is perfect..:hug:

I was a Lit plus Linguistics student...both r my major...but I love lit more...
hate linguistics...:kerek: I love analysing / probing things...my weakness,
it also seems to be...:bgrin:que sera sera...u r what u r...

ok..back to the topic...u want to improve by reading?? u try to read
storybooks but cannot follow thru...I think u need to find reading materials
that u like...maybe magazine...books...but that u like..as 4 me I like lit.
so no problem 4 me to read em...compared to others...I like mysteries
n love stories...so plus n bonus 4 me...maybe u like designing clothes??
painting?? art?? womens' magazine??

the important thing is...read what u like...it helps..:ah:hope this suggestion
helps u...:hug:

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-12-2004 12:29 AM | Show all posts
actually i love the book  seri....but the problem is my attitude.....ahahahahah
i'm not into reading very much.....but i'm still trying....trying to finish the book...because i've bought several........just waiting for the 1st one to finish....

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2004 12:30 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by seribulan at 27-10-2004 06:29 PM:

nope...I dun speak perfect English...coz I'm no native speaker...b4 dis
I read a lot..so it enriched my vocab n strengthen my grammar...but I'm
not perfect..even native speakers r not perfect.. ...

ehehehehe....down to earth plakkkk.....

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2004 12:35 PM | Show all posts
we must be like paddy....rather than lallang...hehehe...

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2004 05:15 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by seribulan at 27-10-2004 12:35 PM:
we must be like paddy....rather than lallang...hehehe...

:setuju::setuju::setuju:

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 06:47 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.075772 second(s), 49 queries .