CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: adecco_85

Mcm mana nak power english? (merged with suzy2712)

[Copy link]
Post time 23-7-2005 05:58 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tashieeya at 12-7-2005 10:05:

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO BLACK
HEHEHHEHE

SO VALUABLE

...no hal...always a pleasure to share things with u guys...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 29-8-2005 10:43 PM | Show all posts
English is not hard.... you've got to think positive... if you think it's hard, then it will be....

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 30-8-2005 02:16 PM | Show all posts
Read english materials
Confident to speak - ignore pple around (xpecially malay frens yang i ada - they laugh when u said sumthing wrong - wat a pity).
THINK in english - this is very important.
Example of common error when u think in Malay :-
"Tolong tutup lampu tu " - "Could u please close the light" rather "Could u please switch off the light"
"Buka kasut awak tu" - "Open your shoes" rather "take off your shoes".

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 30-8-2005 10:26 PM | Show all posts
Very good info Blackmore... Just to add another tip about the noun vs. verb problem, the trick is to remember that "noun comes before verb".

If we remind ourselves of the order of the alphabets, "c" comes before "s". If we follow the "noun comes before verb" formula, then word with "c" is a noun, while word with "s" is a verb.

So, if we go back to the practice vs. practise issue, practice is a noun because of the letter "c", and practise is a verb because of the letter "s".

The same goes to advice vs. advise
and
licence vs. license

Which one then is a noun and which is a verb?....

Note: However, like Blackmore said, Americans are very lenient with their language, so you'll find that both versions are usually acceptable

p/s: Hope I have not caused too much confusion here...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 13-9-2005 05:34 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Potpouri at 28-1-2005 11:39 AM

i jes bought Archies for my niece(thanx fr ur info)...oppss..its nope archies it's  Betty @ Veronica..but i jes found out dat i felt in love wth the comics...so instead of giving it to my niece ...

this is what i always do..
-find your own virtual teacher?...or someone who can be always ready to help you when you need them..please make sure he/she has  very good command in english...make sure they are honest enough to help u out...u can start with conversation...if u met a situation that u couldnt find any words to say in english...u r gonna find this mentor..either through sms or e-mail..it 's  a bit bringing them trouble...but at last u will find it worth every penny!

-reading, comic and novels, watch movies? those are cool..but what if u r such a forgetful person? is it possible for u to memorize every words that have just came across ur mind..no..it's not that easy to recall everything ..uve another alternative to initiate. just NOTE IT DOWN!!!..make a special journal or prepare for a notebook, that u can jot anything down...for example..ok..
uve watched a movie then uhave found this phrase..
..how did u get in?
in normal situation, u dont know how to say this phrase when it come to the situation u wanna ask "macammana ko leh masuk ke dlm?..U get the translation overthere..then in the next time u know how to use it..simple!
(tulis setiap ayat/perkataan omputih yang kau baru jumpa dalam satu kertas..nanti nxt time, ko baca-hapal-dan kau boleh gunakan!!...your friends might gonna get shocked when the hear u'r speaking exactly like those characters they r watching on t.v

[ Last edited by senduduk at 13-9-2005 05:43 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 13-9-2005 05:39 PM | Show all posts
i propose someone...u can have seribulan to be your virtual mentor.  (if only she keen 2do so)

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 13-9-2005 07:32 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by senduduk at 13-9-2005 05:39 PM
i propose someone...u can have seribulan to be your virtual mentor.  (if only she keen 2do so)

no prob...if I'm on the line at that moment...

Use magic Report

Post time 14-9-2005 12:48 AM | Show all posts
...kalau membaca novel2 atau buku2 cerita omputeh..it is always handy to have the dictionary by your side...kalau terjumpa perkataan yang kita tak faham...look it up immediately and what u can do is...just write the meaning of the word on the empty spaces in that page...this is what i normally do...so...my books tak lah neat..sebaliknya...full of scribbles...hehe...but...trust me...when u look up the meaning of the words yang korang tak jelas...the story will become more clearer and u will have better understanding of the plot...

......it is good to have a note book where u can jot down new words that u come across daily...open up a word bank book...sertakan skali makna2 perkataan tu...and..try constructing a sentence using those words...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-9-2005 12:10 AM | Show all posts
learning from  mistakes..hehe..im also bad in english..

Use magic Report

Post time 16-9-2005 08:56 AM | Show all posts
I used to have my own 'dictionary' where I listed all the words that I didn't understand when I read novels. Buku tu siap in alphabetical order lagi...punyalah gigih hehehe. It's very useful and can be quite motivating if you look back at the number of words that you've jotted down.

But then sometimes, when there were too many difficult words in the book that you're reading it can be a turn-off too. Penat nak tulis the words every 20 seconds, ... by the time you get to the third page, you've no clue what you're reading about, last-last hilang mood nak baca.

One way to solve this problem is by reading something that you're really interested in. Sometimes when you're really into the story, really curious about the plot and events in the story, you just can't be bothered to look up the vocabulary. Instead you just guess the meaning of the words you're not sure of... and you know what, it can be quite effective in improving your English i.e. using the context to understand difficult words. Don't worry about the accuracy of the meaning, you will find the same words being used in other part of the text. That's when you can 'test' if the meaning that you have in mind is the right one or not.

To me, yang penting is the reading itself...it should be enjoyable to you and before you realise it, your English just gets better and better...;);)

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 16-9-2005 08:48 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by pelicano at 16-9-2005 08:56 AM
I used to have my own 'dictionary' where I listed all the words that I didn't understand when I read novels. Buku tu siap in alphabetical order lagi...punyalah gigih hehehe. It's very useful and ca ...

...totally agree with u...

Use magic Report

cekpoin This user has been deleted
Post time 17-9-2005 12:38 AM | Show all posts
sorry...ff: jap......what is the diff between thesaurus and dict?....i tot both are same

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2005 01:23 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by cekpoin at 17-9-2005 12:38 AM
sorry...ff: jap......what is the diff between thesaurus and dict?....i tot both are same

...thesaurus nie kira cam dictionary gak lah...tapi...ianya mengandungi kata seerti/kata lawan sesuatu perkataan...eg...kalau ko cari perkataan "hate" dalam thesaurus...ianya akan beri ko jawapan seperti ini...

...hate..synonyms...animosity...enmity...resentment...hostility (dan sebagainya)
              antonyms...love...like...adore...(dan sebagainya)

...dictionary plak...is a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words with information given for each word...usually including meaning...pronunciation..and etymology...

...so...eg...kalau ko cari perkataan "hate" dalam dictionary...ianya akan beri ko jawapan seperti ini...

...hate......to feel hostility or animosity toward...
...to detest....
...to feel dislike or distaste for: hates washing dishes....

...clearer now???  

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

cekpoin This user has been deleted
Post time 18-9-2005 07:07 PM | Show all posts
ooooo...............

Use magic Report

Post time 19-9-2005 01:04 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by cekpoin at 18-9-2005 07:07 PM
ooooo...............

:cak::cak::cak:

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2005 04:33 PM | Show all posts
I used thesaurus mainly when writing assignments. To some extent it does improve your writings...BUT... you still kena check makna perkataan yang you nak guna sebab walaupun perkataan yang disenaraikan dikira sebagai sinonim, tak semestinya boleh apply in all contexts.

I remember when I did my degree... I tried to impress my lecturer by using all sorts of bombastic vocabulary in my essay. Tup-tup bila dapat balik assignment, dia komen I ni hidup dalam kurun ke berapa?..semua perkataan I guna orang tak pakai dah zaman sekarang...:stp::stp:lol...padan muka aku

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-10-2005 08:00 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by pelicano at 29-9-2005 04:33 PM
I used thesaurus mainly when writing assignments. To some extent it does improve your writings...BUT... you still kena check makna perkataan yang you nak guna sebab walaupun perkataan yang disenara ...

Kah,kah!. What did you write about pelicano?

Use magic Report

camm This user has been deleted
Post time 17-1-2006 09:51 PM | Show all posts
Hi, I'm new here but I want to share a bit of what I've learned.

I learned English from watching TV, reading books and even read the dictionary. Sometimes if I get too lazy, I just ignore the words and check it out later. I don't read the dictionary much nowadays, I prefer asking my friends online while chatting.  I'm a chat addict, photoshop addict and sooner going to be a forum addict...heh
I still have a lot to learn though.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 4-3-2006 01:45 PM | Show all posts
Try classics books of Jane Austen. And this website..www.sparknotes.com

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 29-3-2006 11:28 PM | Show all posts
ermm...lain pulak masalahnya dgn i...
sejak kecik lagi mmg minat bahasa inggeris...dalam banyak sbj i minat english jer..
n now berjaya amik kos english language and literture kat university...
masalahnya...kat umah ngan my mum i cakap BM ngan ngan dad i cakap english...
tapi kat luar malu nak speaking...naper ntah...lelebih lagi ngan org yg dikenali...
kalau speaking pun mostly ngan lecturer...atau ngan foreigner kat tpt blajar ni jer...
i dont have self confidence...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

11-5-2024 09:28 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.113800 second(s), 55 queries .