Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: dexa

[EDU]- Post In English Only Please -

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 3-12-2008 06:58 AM | Show all posts

Reply #1215 Hajeedah's post

Hi all.

nice thread ha!!......I do talking english in my daily working day. Of course at my workplace. But, my grammar still sucks, feel terrible about it. I always have low esteem feeling when I need to deal with a presentation, my public speaking also sucks....now I try to improve these skills for the sake of my career.

Need to learn a lot ha!......huhuhuhuhhuhuh....

speak
at work daily
omit that
I feel
omit feeling
do

hi hajeedah..
a pleasure to have you with us -

i think you are a brave person -
u wrote all those in english and you want to improve yourself
i call that - brave and confident -

don't worry about a bit mistakes here and there (gs @ bit - bit is one of
the forum members who helps a lot too)
because that's how we learn to improve -
learn from mistakes -

keep up the good work -

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-12-2008 12:28 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1216 bit's post and #1219 dexa's post

tq for both of u.  At least I have a clear picture about it now. .  

To dexa... do you know why I said it was a silly question? Because nobody around me think that we should teach our kids that sentence.  Even at school the English teacher will just say 'OK...If anyone of you who want to go to the toilet just raise up your hand or come to me and say, please teacher may I go to toilet'.  Am I right?

Even my brother in law who are currently teaching maths in English at primary school doesn't know the answer.  'It is not in the exam at all' he said.

But in my opinion we must make English easy and fun for our kids. You must find out their daily conversation topic and communicate it with them in English.   In my case of course a very basic topic. Games, School, poo-poo and so on.   If we could done that the kids will think that English not more an ALIEN to them.

That is why I hate grammar.  Our education system really put on weight on grammar,positive,good and perfect sentences for English . This 'thing' really kill my interest to learn language.  Believe it or not... I am able to speak and write confidently in English after 6 months I work with private sector after graduation.  well.... after 11 years in school, 1 year in matricualtion centre, 3 and half years in university...... I am not able to speak nor write properly in English .  

But it only take me 6 months to catch up in private sector.  The secret..... you are force to use English in your daily conversation no matter how stupid the topic was.  luckily my senior staff  were very friendly to correct me on grammar .   .  For me the best tool to learn language is learn to speak first, then learn to speak properly follow by learn to read and write.

So for non native English speaking person.... I call all of you to speak up...!!!!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 3-12-2008 02:06 PM | Show all posts
Even my brother in law who are currently teaching maths in English at primary school doesn't know the answer.  'It is not in the exam at all' he said.

The bane of all academic existence, exam. It is sad actually to think that our school system is so focused on achieving academic excellence, we forgot that learning is a fun process of exploring things rather than a mass production of 'A' achieving kids. The sadder part is when the teachers themseves said something like 'I don't think that will come up in the exam so stop questioning'. When the truth is we should encourage them to question everything. It's like the church telling Galileo to stop questioning the earth movement. Why? because it wasn't necessary.

English like any other languages is not technical, it's communication skills. When we put weight on the technical aspect it's like teaching a kid how to build a bike instead of riding it.

British Council if a very good place to learn English, they have fun ways to promote your love for the language. I keep wondering why the English teachers in our public school didn't apply the same methods as those of British Council teachers.

Use magic Report

Post time 3-12-2008 06:14 PM | Show all posts
Can you give me some infomation about British Council please.My sister has just finished schooling.I do not know whether British Council or ELS is better.If ELS ,the class is from Monday to Friday ,8.30 am to 3.30pm.They have acting class,grammar class,listening class and etc.How about British council?Do they have native English teacher?What time and day is the programme?

http://www.els.edu.my/programmes/

[ Last edited by  sunshine66 at 3-12-2008 06:30 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 3-12-2008 09:40 PM | Show all posts
For the time and day, you should refer to the British Council website as they have all sorts of classes  for all level especially during school holidays. Even the time differs to accomodate those who are working and those who are not.

Mostly (probably 100%) of the teachers are native speakers mostly from UK.
If you want to enroll in their classes you need to take the placement test to see your level of English. It's a bit of grammar and speaking test. (The teacher will ask you about yourself mostly).

I don't know about ELS since I never attend any of their classes.

Since you are scouting for English class then it is better if you start comparing the price, the schedule etc.

[ Last edited by  bit at 3-12-2008 09:48 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-12-2008 10:36 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by sunshine66 at 3-12-2008 06:14 PM
Can you give me some infomation about British Council please.My sister has just finished schooling.I do not know whether British Council or ELS is better.If ELS ,the class is from Monday to Frida ...

read this thread -

http://eforum4.cari.com.my/viewt ... t=british%2Bcouncil

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 3-12-2008 10:48 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1222 norzyy's post

To dexa... do you know why I said it was a silly question? Because nobody around me think that we should teach our kids that sentence.  Even at school the English teacher will just say 'OK...If anyone of you who want to go to the toilet just raise up your hand or come to me and say, please teacher may I go to toilet'.  Am I right?

But in my opinion we must make English easy and fun for our kids. You must find out their daily conversation topic and communicate it with them in English.   In my case of course a very basic topic. Games, School, poo-poo and so on.   If we could done that the kids will think that English not more an ALIEN to them.

yeah, i see what you meant -
and i think day to day 'informal' conversation is just as important
in fact it will make our english more flowery so to speak -

i think you did the right thing - keep on teaching your kids -
it is very much a rewarding experience -

Use magic Report

Post time 4-12-2008 04:00 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1220 dexa's post

okey...

that's great, maybe i can join if im free...

i'll start my class on 15.12, ...

i will find some time to join here

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-12-2008 05:44 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by azz_azza at 4-12-2008 04:00 PM
okey...

that's great, maybe i can join if im free...

i'll start my class on 15.12, ...

i will find some time to join here

ah... you're a student, eh.. -
sure... you can join anytime you free -
i will have the thread for trivia next week, insya'allah -

Use magic Report

Post time 5-12-2008 04:53 PM | Show all posts
I am bored today.  No phone call... no client coming in... our share market just in gloomy weather.   However the best part is I have time to browse every pages in this thread.  From morning till now.

And here I would like to share one article which I keep in my personal file.  I am a big fan of 'MIND OUR ENGLISH' section in our STAR newspaper.  This article just came accross my mind when I went through this thread.  Enjoy....!!!!

Wednesday April 30, 2008

How to buy a dictionary
By GRANT BARRETT

A POPULAR question from English language-learners and native speakers alike is, 揥hat dictionary should I use or buy?

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-12-2008 06:43 AM | Show all posts

Reply #1230 norzyy's post

thanks norzyy -
a great article indeed -

Use magic Report

Post time 11-12-2008 08:45 PM | Show all posts

Balas #1213 aireen24\ catat

i will join the toastmaster programme under petronas. is it really good?

Use magic Report

Post time 13-12-2008 10:38 AM | Show all posts

Reply #1232 crewzmania's post

waaah toastmaster..thats coool...how n where u get that?if hv not mistaken toastmaster is a program that educates public about public speaking.

is it true dexa?

Use magic Report

Post time 13-12-2008 10:42 AM | Show all posts
Dexa...

i want to ask..lets say in a day i have soooo many assignments to submit,how do i describe the situation ?
-mind blasts
-mind explode
-mind blasting
-brain explode
-brain blasting
-explosive mind
- brain explosion

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-12-2008 12:27 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1234 sunshine66's post

Dexa...

i want to ask..lets say in a day i have soooo many assignments to submit,how do i describe the situation ?
-mind blasts
-mind explode
-mind blasting
-brain explode
-brain blasting
-explosive mind
- brain explosion

if you have too many assignments to submit .. you feel that you brain gonna explode -

too much pressure... it feels like your head gonna blows up -

so : brain explode is a good choice -

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-12-2008 12:30 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by sunshine66 at 13-12-2008 10:38 AM
waaah toastmaster..thats coool...how n where u get that?if hv not mistaken toastmaster is a program that educates public about public speaking.

is it true dexa?

if i am not mistaken

it is correct -

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 15-12-2008 08:03 AM | Show all posts
I am conducting a research for my thesis as part of the requirement for my Bachelor of Economics (Human Resource Economics). The title of this thesis is 揢nemployment Among Graduates

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 15-12-2008 08:14 AM | Show all posts

Reply #1237 chinchiewlan85's post

anybody who can help chiewlan, please pm her, okay  --

all the best chiewlan

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2008 08:23 AM | Show all posts
You can filling up the questionnaire by enter the following link

http://www.scribd.com/people/view/2814575-chiewlanchin

HELP...HELP...
Please lend your hand for me...

wuwuwu... I want to get respondents...i want convo on year 2009...

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2008 11:13 AM | Show all posts
dexa i am reading twilight right now. i will try to find the books that you have suggested to me.
i do read books about criminal and thriller. actually i really hope to go to bookxcess in amcorp mall. but i dont have enough time because i live in perak. so that, i have to ask somebody to buy for me. do you know where i can just buy books online?anyone can help?

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 03:17 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.145244 second(s), 50 queries .