CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

12Next
Return to list New
View: 5294|Reply: 29

Travelling with small chidren ( + tips )

[Copy link]
Post time 3-8-2007 10:55 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
Travelling with small children

Fly, baby, flySHANTI GUNARATNAM

With early preparations, travelling with small children need not be stressful, writes SHANTI GUNARATNAM

TRAVELLING with babies can be really difficult for parents. However, many airlines do try and make it easier and more comfortable for parents who travel with the young ones.

For one thing, parents with children are usually allowed to board ahead of other passengers.

If you have babies, it抯 advisable to request for a sky cot or bassinet, especially on long-haul journeys. In order to avoid disappointment, book early.

Airlines don抰 encourage babies under three months old to fly because their hearts and respiratory systems are not sufficiently developed to cope with reduced levels of oxygen. Also, check with the pediatrician before planning to fly domestic or long haul.

During the flight, make sure baby is warm and well-fed. For other requests such as hot water and baby food warming facilities, inform the cabin crew about your needs immediately after you board the aircraft and even better, request for these facilities when you make your flight booking.

If your child is a finicky eater, bring your own food and snacks instead of depending on airline supply.

Also, be prepared for delays and long lay-overs. Parents should pack extra diapers, bottles, infant formula and baby food.

Since bottle warmers are small and easy to carry, bring one along, in case the aircraft does not have warming facilities for bottles.

For children who experience ear problems when flying, offer sweets because sucking prevents earache during landing and take-off.

Bring a favourite toy and pillow on board as this will keep them occupied and comfortable during the trip. Allow toddlers to carry their own backpacks with toys and a change of clothes.

Airlines usually provide snacks, toys and other items such as crayons and colour pencils for young passengers. Ask the cabin crew if your child doesn抰 receive any.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-8-2007 10:55 AM | Show all posts
Car trips with children
SHANTI GUNARATNAM

A driving holiday with children on board need not turn into a struggle of wills. All you need is a little planning.

TRAVELLING with children, whether on a long journey or a short one, can prove to be difficult especially if the children become cranky. Parents often loose their cool and patience when children cry or act up during a journey.

The best time to set off would be just before your child or children抯 nap time as when they sleep, the journey is more peaceful.

It is also a good idea to put your things in the car first before letting the children in. This way, they won抰 have to wait for long and so become restless. Before starting the journey, make sure they are properly buckled up.

Always plan your travel itinerary well as it is important to allot time for those extra stops for diaper changes, feeding times or simply to let the children out to play at the rest stop to burn pent-up energy.

Make sure you pack enough diapers, pacifiers, snacks and pillows to make them feel comfortable during the journey. On long journeys, parents can bring along books, play simple games and sing nursery rhymes.

If the children suffer from motion sickness, it is best to stick to games and nursery rhymes or let them sleep during the journey.

Fill backpacks with their favourite toys, snacks and books to keep them occupied. Bring along drinks and some home-cooked food such as fried nuggets, noodles and rice to avoid letting them eat anything not prepared hygienically. This will also reduce unnecessary trips to food kiosks or fast food restaurants. Also, bring along a flask of hot water to wash forks and spoons provided by food outlets or bring disposable cutlery.

Wet wipes, a small bottle of disinfectant hand wash and some hand towels would also prove invaluable.

Hang a small rubbish bag in the car for candy wrappers and crumbs and cover seats with protectors so that spills and crumbs can be easily cleaned up.

Teach your children to read maps and signages so that they will feel they have contributed to the trip.

Finally, top up on petrol before you leave to avoid making too many stops that will delay your journey.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2007 10:56 AM | Show all posts
Early planning the key
Zalina Mohd Som

Travelling with children can be fun but only if you get things organised well, writes ZALINA MOHD SOM

THE two-week school holidays are over. Perhaps your family had a fun mid-year break but as parents, you wonder if it could have been better organised.

You tend to ask 搘hat if

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 3-8-2007 01:10 PM | Show all posts
gud info!thanx syd

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2007 01:20 PM | Show all posts
kalau ada pengalaman, boleh lah share

Use magic Report

Post time 3-8-2007 01:36 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Syd at 3-8-2007 01:20 PM
kalau ada pengalaman, boleh lah share

kalo plane:

-sediakan stroller yg bleh tutup cam payung tu, takyah nak check in sesama luggage lain
-katalah expected journey dlm 7 jam..tolong jgn sediakan susu/food for kids cukup2 utk waktu aje, byk sgt delay flight sekarang...biar terlebih esp susu utk baby
-bawak plastic lebih dlm changing bag for baby, u might need that
-jgn bawak air panas/sejuk berbotol2, mintak aje kat paramugari yg berdiri tu
-bawa fresh toy on the plane utk todd, really helpful
dulu ade AVENT disposal bottle for travel, but now..dah takde, jadi kalo botol kotor, mintak paramugari basuhkan...jgn guna air dlm toilet tu

kalo kereta:

-pastikan dvd portable is functioning ...set of dvds and games
-handy food, drinks
-tempat duduk yg comfortable dan safe, kaki biar lepas...esp for long journey
-utk todd, biasakan duk dlm carseat...lagi bagus yg adjustable carseat, recline when they sleep
my doter boleh tido straight 3 hrs sampai penang...

itu aje kot yg ingat

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 3-8-2007 01:48 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1 Syd's post

good info syd..

thank you!

Use magic Report

spidernfly This user has been deleted
Post time 3-8-2007 05:25 PM | Show all posts

Reply #6 my-alja's post

kat sini, domestic flights , umbrella stroller pun kena check in. international flights je tak yah.... unless you ambik Qantas.

last year, we drove to Sydney. ya allah..... it was such a long journey. and pasal we went there during christmas break, so jalan pun heavy traffic gak at some stretches tu. so every 3 hours mmg kena stop just to perk up and tak nak the boys penat & boring kat dlm kereta.

we took about 2 days to sampai Sydney. (it is 1000km from where we live)

if travel kat m'sia KL-JB is only about 3-4 hours. so tak la jauh sgt.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-8-2007 08:30 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Syd at 3-8-2007 10:55 AM
Car trips with children
SHANTI GUNARATNAM

A driving holiday with children on board need not turn into a struggle of wills. All you need is a little planning.

TRAVELLING with children, whe ...

i kalau travelling wif my boy kalau blh 1 rumah nak bawak, senang...

Use magic Report

Post time 3-8-2007 08:32 PM | Show all posts

Reply #9 tina_turner's post

itu semestinya......!!!

tapi if i travel mmg i bawak cadar la bagai... and mmg selalu we all booking apartment if for long holiday la

Use magic Report

Post time 4-8-2007 10:31 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by spidernfly at 3-8-2007 08:32 PM
itu semestinya......!!!

tapi if i travel mmg i bawak cadar la bagai... and mmg selalu we all booking apartment if for long holiday la

betul... travel ni best tapi nak packing ni malas... selalunya lagi 1 wk nak blah dah
start pening kepala pikir apa nak bawak...  yg funny kadang 2 nak p only 1 day
tapi pack bang mcm nak p 1 wk...  kalau toys 2 jgn ckp lah musti bawak...  
2 yg hubby selalu ckp wat tak bawak 1 rumah sekali...

Use magic Report

Post time 4-8-2007 02:03 PM | Show all posts

Reply #11 tina_turner's post

ooo i kalau balik m'sia tak bawak toys. beli je kat sana or selalu my friends will kasik pinjams her sons toys.....  same goes for baju, if balik m'sia, tak cukup baju, beli je.

tapi if holiday yg sekejap2 ni, ala... mmg leceh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats y i suka holiday during winter. baju tak yah bawak byk pasal, tak peluh.... and if tak salin baju pun org tak nampak, pasal asyik bercoat senantiasa....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-8-2007 01:12 PM | Show all posts

credit : ennaz_81 @ bod travel

Air Travel With Baby - Tips And Advice For Flying With Your Little One

If the thought of air travel with baby fills you with trepidation, read through these useful guidelines to help you through your journey.

How early can baby fly?
Generally, it's best to wait until your baby is at least 2 weeks old before you consider travelling by air. This is not because flying poses a greater danger for a younger baby, but because by 2 weeks both you and he will have recovered sufficiently from the birth and have overcome any early difficulties, such as problems with breastfeeding.

Before you go
Contact your airline

When planning air travel with baby, telephone your airline or visit their website to find out what facilities they offer for parents of young children.

See if you can pre-book a sky cot/bassinet and the maximum age/weight that it will accommodate. Some airlines will not allow you to pre-book and you may not know whether or not one is available until you check in.

If possible, see if you can fly on a larger aircraft, which will have better facilities for baby.

Consider booking an extra seat for air travel with baby - if not, you will be expected to sit with an infant under 2 years of age on your lap. Depending on the length of your flight, this can be very hard work, particularly with an older baby.

If you do book an extra seat, think about taking a car seat on board for your baby to sit in. Certain car seats are FAA approved for air travel with baby, so this is something to check when buying one.

If possible, choose where on the aircraft you would like to sit. Opinions vary on the ideal seating position when flying with baby - some parents prefer to be at the rear of the aircraft, nearer to the changing facilities, whereas others prefer the bulkhead position. This is where the sky cots are situated and there is generally more leg-room.

The sky cot is usually attached to the screen - bear in mind that this can be very noisy. I attempted to use a sky cot for one of my children - because it was bolted to the screen, he was constantly disturbed by thuds and bangs from the other side. Also, a light was situated right above it - needless to say, he didn't get much sleep!

Make sure you pre-book your seats to ensure that you are seated next to whoever you are travelling with. If not, you may find yourself at the opposite end of the plane to your partner!

Make sure you are adequately insured

Air travel with baby can be unpredictable and certain conditions may prevent him flying - ear infections and notifiable diseases such as measles, for example.

Assemble and pack your baby first aid kit (many items, such as scissors and tweezers, will not be allowed in the cabin of the plane and should not be packed in your hand luggage). See the main travelling with baby page for more travel essentials!

Carefully check your baggage allowance - air travel with baby obviously requires extra luggage and you don't want any nasty surprises at the airport!

Air Travel With Baby - At The Airport
Always allow yourself plenty of time at the airport when travelling with your baby - remember that everything will take longer and you may have last minute nappy or clothing changes to contend with!

Some airports offer fast-track customs or immigration points for families with very young children - definitely worth looking out for!

Getting around

Use a stroller. A lightweight stroller is worth its weight in gold at the airport - baby has somewhere to sit, or to sleep if necessary! You are usually allowed to keep your stroller with you right up until you reach the departure gate and it is often returned to you from the hold as soon as you leave the aircraft.

A baby sling/carrier can be really useful, as it leaves your hands free for carrying other things! For air travel with baby, I often bring my stroller AND sling, so I always have something in which to carry him.

If you have booked an extra seat for your baby and plan to bring your car seat, consider getting some clip-on wheels for it. These make life so much easier, as you can wheel baby around in the airport, then simply dismantle the wheels and board the aircraft without disturbing your baby. The Universal Infant Car Seat Carrier (US only) is ideal and weighs just under 14lbs.

Checking in

If you have not booked an extra seat for baby, ask if the flight is full. If not - and if you are lucky - the airline assistant may keep the seat beside you empty, or offer a seat next to a vacant seat. That extra room can make all the difference!

Air Travel With Baby - On Board The Aeroplane
That elusive empty seat ...

If you haven't booked an extra seat and the seat beside you is occupied, ask a member of the cabin crew if there are any spaces on board and whether it might be possible to move next to an empty seat. In my experience, other passengers can be quite helpful and may offer to move themselves, to give you that extra room. Perhaps they just don't want to spend 10 hours sitting next to a baby on an aeroplane (though I can't imagine why not!).

Baby's seat belt

If you do not have a car seat, you will be given a mini seat belt for your baby - this goes around him, then attaches to your seat belt.

Ear pain

The changes in pressure on take-off and landing can cause ear pain, so breastfeed your baby or offer a bottle at these times to encourage sucking. This has never been a problem for any of my children - in fact, my ears seem to hurt more than theirs! Beware of existing ear infections, however - flying can increase the pain quite significantly and air travel with baby should really be avoided in this situation.

Changing nappies/diapers

Change your baby's nappy immediately before the flight - if you are lucky, he may not need changing again until you arrive.

Instead of hauling all your hand luggage to the bathroom with you every time baby's nappy needs changing, pack yourself separate little "changing bags" - just put one nappy and a few wipes into individual nappy sacks so you have all you need for each change.

Dispose of the soiled nappy in the bins provided - don't try giving it to the flight attendants. Remember, they handle the passengers' food and don't want to be handling dirty nappies too!

Baby changing tables are generally located in the toilet cubicles - folding down the table in a small area whilst holding your baby can be difficult! Ask a member of the cabin crew to prepare the table for you - not all will oblige, but some will!

Feeding tips for air travel with baby

See our main travelling with baby page for tips on feeding your baby during your journey.

Remember that there is no microwave in the aeroplane galley, so warming baby's food may take some time. Always ask for any food or milk to be heated well in advance of when you think you'll need it - and be sure to check that it isn't too hot when it's returned to you.

Use your baby's own bowl and utensils as there may not be anything suitable for baby's use on board the aircraft.

Disposable, or wipe-clean Soft Plastic Bibsare GREAT for air travel with baby. A good tip is to dress your baby in light layers - not only does this help you cope with fluctuating temperatures, but you can simply remove a layer if he soils his clothing at meal times.

Make sure you bring spare clothing for yourself too - my baby son was once sick on me during a flight and I had to sit in my newly decorated clothes for almost 2 hours!
Accessories for feeding baby when travelling

Passing the time

With any luck, your baby may sleep for a good part of the flight - if, like mine, his cot is positioned under a light, try screening it off with his sheet/blanket as much as possible.

Sprinkle a drop of lavender oil on the blanket - it has a calming effect and may help him sleep a little better.

Don't fill your hand luggage with too many toys - in my experience, babies love to play with day-to-day objects that they're not usually allowed to have! Try giving him an empty plastic cup and a spoon - strangely enough, that combination has kept a couple of my babies happy for ages! Unopened, shiny crisp/chip packets can also provide hours of fun - just be sure to supervise your baby carefully.
Alternatively, visit our travel toys page for an extra special toy for the journey!

Finger foods will help keep baby occupied if he's ready for them. Dry foods like rice cakes or pre-toasted fingers of bread are best for air travel with baby as they won't make too much mess!

Make sure you offer your baby plenty of drinks throughout the flight as air travel can be quite dehydrating.

If possible, walk around with your little one in the aisles - not only is it good for you to stretch your legs, but a sea of new faces may keep your baby entertained for a while too!

There's no doubt about it, though, long distance air travel with baby can have its trying moments - older babies, especially, can grow restless and fretful. Occasionally, your worst nightmare may come true and your little one may cry inconsolably ... and noisily! This isn't much fun when you're cooped up in a relatively small area with a group of strangers waiting for you to somehow "stop that baby crying"!

If this happens to you, then put on your thickest skin and ignore any nasty looks or - worse still - comments. Most people will sympathise with you - we've almost all been in this position - but you may come across one of those less tolerant people and their unhelpful remarks!

Don't let them get to you! Stay calm, bite your tongue and count the minutes until you touch down at your destination!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 12-9-2007 11:21 AM | Show all posts
with flight...

normally my SIL bgtau masa nk berlepas dan masa nk landing...
tutup telinga anak....
sbb masa tu akan ada rasa something....
tk tahu nk citer mcm mana....
budak2 selalu nangis masa tu....sbb tk selesa.

Use magic Report

Post time 12-9-2007 11:23 AM | Show all posts
with flight...

normally my SIL bgtau masa nk berlepas dan masa nk landing...
tutup telinga anak....
sbb masa tu akan ada rasa something....
tk tahu nk citer mcm mana....
budak2 selalu nangis masa tu....sbb tk selesa.

Use magic Report

Post time 12-9-2007 11:27 AM | Show all posts
Tekanan pd telinga berlaku disebabkan tekanan yg berbeza antara tekanan dlm telinga dgn tekanan dalam persekitaran..
.Kita pun akan rasa perbezaan bila kita naik tmpt tinggi...disebabkan kita dewasa,kita leh adapt...but kids..diorg akan rase lain mcm..sbb tu diorg nangis..
Ni dari website

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/travel/flying_ears

~On take-off and in-flight, ease the pressure on painful ears by offering your baby a bottle or dummy to suck.

Many of us have felt that weird~ ear-popping sensation when we fly. For kids (especially b a b i es and young children), it can seem especially odd and even scary at first. But you can reassure your child that it's a common, normal part of flying.

It's related to pressure changes in the air space behind the eardrum (the middle ear)., but how does that work, exactly?

Normally, the eustachian tube, a passageway that leads from the middle ear to the back of the throat behind the nose, equalizes the air pressure in the middle ear to the outside air pressure by opening and letting air reach the middle ear. When your ears "pop" while yawning or swallowing, your eustachian tubes are adjusting the air pressure in your middle ears.

In children, however, the relatively narrow eustachian tubes may not function as effectively, especially if they're clogged by inflammation and mucus from an ear infection or cold or blocked by enlarged or swollen adenoids (lumps of immune system tissue located near the openings of the eustachian tubes).

Whether you're flying, scuba diving, climbing a mountain, or even riding in an elevator, air pressure decreases as you go higher and increases as you go lower. If the pressure isn't equalized, the higher air pressure pushes on one side of the eardrum and causes pain. That explains why so many b a b i es cry during those last few minutes of the flight, when the air pressure in the cabin increases as the plane prepares to land.

But the pain is only temporary - it won't cause any lasting problems for your little one and will usually subside within a few minutes, as the eustachian tube opens to let the air pressure equalize on both sides of the eardrum.

If your child has an ear infection, your child's doctor may recommend that he or she delay flying until the infection is gone, if possible, to avoid this problem. And if your child has had tubes inserted in his or her eardrums because of ear fluid problems, the artificial tubes will help the air pressure equalization happen more easily.

Tips for Easing the Ear Pain
There are some simple things you can have your child do for takeoffs and landings to help equalize the air pressure in his or her ears and eliminate, or at least decrease, any ear pain the next time you fly:

Drink plenty of decaffeinated fluids (water is best) throughout the flight. Drinking a lot is very important, not only because it encourages your child to continue swallowing (which makes the eustachian tubes open), but also because airplane air is dry, which thickens nasal mucus, making it more likely for the eustachian tube to become clogged.
Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen about a half hour before takeoffs or landings if you know your child has ear pain when flying.
Chew gum or suck on hard candy - if your child is older than 3 years.
Take a bottle or pacifier or breastfeed. If you bottle-feed, make sure your baby is sitting upright while drinking.
Yawn frequently - if your child can do this intentionally.
Use nasal decongestant sprays before takeoff and before the plane prepares to land to help open the ear and nasal passages.
Stay awake for takeoff and landing. When you sleep, you don't swallow as often, so it's harder to keep the air pressure in your middle ear equalized.
If your child is taking medications that contain antihistamines or decongestants, talk to your child's doctor about whether to continue them during the flight.

In some cases, a child may continue to have ear pain for longer periods (up to several hours) if his or her ears don't "pop." You can continue to give your child pain relievers according to the package directions until the pain subsides. If the pain continues for more than several hours, call your child's doctor for advice.

But with a little patience and some simple precautions, you can make your next family flight less stressful and more comfortable for both you and your child.

[ Last edited by  sha_n at 12-9-2007 11:29 AM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-9-2007 12:07 PM | Show all posts
any mommies yang dah naik MAS, nak tanya, camne proses checking in car seats? sejak ada anak2 ni tak pernah naik flight, so nak tau jugak.
also, katakan lah traveling form KLIA - LANGKAWI kan, boleh ke bawak carseats sekali naik plane? any experiences?

Use magic Report

Post time 12-9-2007 09:01 PM | Show all posts

Reply #8 spidernfly's post

i heard now MAS pun kalau local or international stroller kena masuk luggage juga..

my tips, kalau stroller masuk luggage, make sure you kasitau dgn ground staff yang the first thing you need when the plane landed is the stroller..they will get it for you benda tu dulu sebab kita ada reason nak jalan anak kita perlu stroller tu..dari tempat kapal masuk ke tempat kita nak collect luggage tu bukan dekat..

Use magic Report

Post time 12-9-2007 09:08 PM | Show all posts

Reply #17 mclaren's post

i tak de experience bawa carseat dlm plane..

sebab kalau you ada small baby derang akan provide utk you extra seat belt, which could attach to your seat belt..and you pakaikan kat baby you..ni masa take off and landing..

lepas tu derang akan provide you with baby cot (ni you kena request masa you beli flight ticket or masa check in, so that they will put you kat front seat..situ ada ruang utk baby cot)

kalau short distant journey mungkin tak ada la kot khidmat baby cot ni..setakat seat belt tu je..

baby's food pun you boleh request..bagitau anak you makan flavour apa and so on..all these things you kena inform masa you beli flight ticket tak silap so derang will have it prepared for your baby..kalau tidak nanti kelam kabut or you terpaksa ambil aje apa yang dah derang sediakan..

yang penting, jgn segan2 minta toys, colouring stuff utk anak2 yang dah masuk peringkat toddler..some cabin crew kalau kita tak minta derang tak bagi..actually kita boleh have all those things..

[ Last edited by  nashra at 12-9-2007 09:09 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 12-9-2007 09:39 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mclaren at 12-9-2007 12:07 PM
any mommies yang dah naik MAS, nak tanya, camne proses checking in car seats? sejak ada anak2 ni tak pernah naik flight, so nak tau jugak.
also, katakan lah traveling form KLIA - LANGKAWI kan,  ...

errr...nak check-in car seat?..why do you need carseat, is it for the car ride in langkawi?...
why not u rent the car seat instead of bring it...

just FYI, car seat has check-in just like other luggage, dia akan timbang sekali dgn ur luggage...berat wooo car seat...

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 05:50 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.127808 second(s), 54 queries .