CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 2841|Reply: 11

self-employed vs employment

[Copy link]
Post time 14-8-2007 01:19 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Just say, you are a GM of a company, earning RM10K a month. Your job requires you to work 10-12 hours a day on a 5-day week working days. Full of pressure, stress, meetings and heavy responsibility. You have to make sure that the company is operating smoothly and making profits year after year otherwise you would be fired. On the plus side, you will be enjoying EPF contribution, yearly bonus and increment, and annual leaves.

OR

You are self employed, earning 2/3 of the GM's pay check. You too, will have to work on an average of 10 hours daily on a 5-day week working days. But you only have to report to yourself, no meetings.
You don't have the benefits of the GM like EPF, bonus, increment and annual leaves.

Which job would you choose? Why?

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-8-2007 05:12 PM | Show all posts
depends...

some people are really complicated when it comes to power and money....

Use magic Report

Post time 14-8-2007 11:14 PM | Show all posts
earning 2/3 of GM's paycheck?
meaning around 6-7k?
not too much of a comparison, since both are earning well above average msian ..

if i am a street hawker, earning net RM 100 on good days ..I'd probably yearn for the GM's post...

Use magic Report

Post time 15-8-2007 07:59 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SONofODIN at 14-8-2007 01:19 PM
Just say, you are a GM of a company, earning RM10K a month. Your job requires you to work 10-12 hours a day on a 5-day week working days. Full of pressure, stress, meetings and heavy responsibili ...

self employed of course...

the 10k is fixed....

but 2/3 can be more sometimes......

even self employed can be stressful sometimes due to market fluctuation and you need to tune in right channel

Use magic Report

Post time 15-8-2007 08:01 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Mansairaku at 14-8-2007 11:14 PM
if i am a street hawker, earning net RM 100 on good days ..I'd probably yearn for the GM's post...

been to Ipoh?

the lady who sell tauge chicken kuay teow got 3 brand new merz......

so, you can imagine how much she earn monthly....

the cost is so low......

cut bit chicken with kuay teow and tauge  and sell Rm 4....

Use magic Report

Post time 15-8-2007 01:48 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by wei_loon5063 at 15-8-2007 08:01 AM

been to Ipoh?

the lady who sell tauge chicken kuay teow got 3 brand new merz......

so, you can imagine how much she earn monthly....

the cost is so low......

cut bit chicken ...

Exactly my point wei loon,
If this ppl are earning more than GM or near his salary ..
They wouldn抰 be yearning for his position 匸/color]

But if their earnings are irregular,
Keje 30-4 = 26 days (1 hari cuti seminggu)
Good days dapat RM 100
Bad days dapat RM 50
Tak termasuk anak sakit perlu ubat ker,
Sendiri demam cannot kerja ker,
Or parents/in-laws jatuh sakit perlu jaga ker,
Only then, they抎 be more than willing to trade into GM shoes

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 15-8-2007 03:11 PM | Show all posts
ermm..setahu i lah...

org jadi GM bukan sebab gajinya 10k...tapi kuasa yg dia ada dlm sesuatu jawatan...kalo ikut co. laki wa nie, manager biasa aje gaji bleh lebih 10k

bila cakap pasal kuasa, kekadang tak paham...tahu dia yg plg rapat dgn boss, dia plg cepat kena panggang tapi sebab kuasa, org dengar apa yg dia arahkan...buat sesorang tu rasa diperlukan, dihormati bukan sebab duit

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 15-8-2007 04:29 PM | Show all posts
You know something, I had a friend who worked all the way up in a bank. He was promoted to a Vice President.
The pressure was so great that he couldn't take it any more and he asked for demotion.
He got what he asked for and was transfered to another department under his good friend.
Salary was the same but minus other benefits such as allowances. He was very happy with his demoted position, without the stress and pressure.
Too bad, he couldn't enjoy his life to the fullest. He passed away of stomach cancer.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-9-2007 01:49 PM | Show all posts
I'd choose self employment if I was doing something I loved. (Of course its something I can do well, la... not only adequate in it...) So it won't feel so much like work, I get satisfaction out of the work, earn my keep enough for me and the family. In a way, you earn what you put in and only you have the power to steer your work.

Even if I was GM, I think I'd burn out real fast and probably option  out to do some self business. I have friends who feel at lost when they aren't busy, they've been accustomed to work all the time so when they take 3 days leave, they are itching to go back to work. Well good for them, but I don't really buy it, they'll realise on day that they didn't have time to smell the flowers and pay attention to the things that really matter. Your health and family, your peace of mind, your stress level.... etc

[ Last edited by  Maru at 28-9-2007 09:44 AM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-9-2007 11:52 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1 SONofODIN's post

employment~ too lazy to branch out or to materialized any of my dreams
I rather settle for something that am real good at...and still got a place to go to when all fails

Use magic Report

Post time 2-10-2007 11:20 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1 SONofODIN's post

I'll ask myself what I want to accomplish in the short and long run.  What are my commitments and have I got alternatives and back-up.

If I have a lot of commitment and no back-up, then I stick with salaried job.

If I want to build something and leave a legacy; also leave an ongoing entreprise for my kids (and they don't have to start again from ground zero), I'll focus on my own business.

If I have both above, I'll try to do both..... not easy but also not impossible

BTW, my analysis is based on self-employed in building a business and potentially returning a lot more than 10k a month.  Though not necessarily 2/3 of that initially.  In fact, it is very difficult to consistent get that.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-10-2007 06:13 AM | Show all posts

Reply #11 foundation's post

It is not easy to have both. You can't focus when you have both. You need 100% commitment whether you are employed or self employed.

The potential of earning more than 10k in self employment is also depend on what type of business you are operating. Most self employed are half dead, couldn"t make end meets.

When a self employed business is bad, he would think salaried worker is best.
Less headache, wait till month end and get your salary.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Dividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
AbahmungDividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
Views : 1718 Replies : 0
Wanita Asing Puji Malaysia Negara Selamat, Tak Takut Jalan Sendirian Jam 5 Pagi di jalan lengang berhampiran pasar Pudu.Netizen berbelah bagi
YgBenarWanita Asing Puji Malaysia Negara Selama
Views : 9256 Replies : 43
Restoran Kantan Datin Isma
AngelFreakyAFRestoran Kantan Datin Isma
Views : 23536 Replies : 145
Kedah Ada Work-Life Balance, Gaji Berbaloi’ – Pekerja Belia.Anda nak pindah Kedah?
YgBenarKedah Ada Work-Life Balance, Gaji Berbal
Views : 8809 Replies : 1
[JTBC/Netflix 2024] FRANKLY SPEAKING/NO SECRET ~ Go Kyoung Pyo, Kang Han Na, Joo Jong Hyuk  ~ Release Date 1 May
Rahah[JTBC/Netflix 2024] FRANKLY SPEAKING/NO
Views : 7436 Replies : 14
Carta Official Muzik Muzik 39 (2024)
fadz84Carta Official Muzik Muzik 39 (2024)
Views : 16425 Replies : 102
[Disney+ 2024] BLOOD FREE/DOMINANT SPECIES - Ju Ji Hoon, Han Hyo Joo, Lee Hee Joon, Lee Mu Saeng
Rahah[Disney+ 2024] BLOOD FREE/DOMINANT SPECI
Views : 5430 Replies : 65
Koleksi Foto : Bunga v2
tariKoleksi Foto : Bunga v2
Views : 105370 Replies : 1544
NAZIR RAZAK KAWEN BARU UOLS..
malaysiaku123NAZIR RAZAK KAWEN BARU UOLS..
Views : 69249 Replies : 388
[tvN/Netflix 2024] QUEEN OF TEARS - Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Ji Won, Park Sung Hoon
Rahah[tvN/Netflix 2024] QUEEN OF TEARS - Kim
Views : 21348 Replies : 425

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

4-5-2024 05:14 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.304123 second(s), 45 queries .