CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News Update (siri 2)

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 23-5-2008 12:01 AM | Show all posts
May 16, 2008

Park Tam-hee, Marrying businessman four years older on June 11

The ceremony will be held at 6 pm at Seoul Jang-choong Shilla Hotel Dynasty Hall. She wanted a devout Christian wedding, so she only invited family and close friends to the private affair.

She doesn't have a management company, so she sent the news to the press herself. "We met through a friend, and after deepening our love within our faith, we decided to get married".

According to Park Tam-hee, her future husband is very tall and good-looking. Since he is not a celebrity, she said she would not reveal a picture of him.

She has been in "Lotus Flower Fairy", "Jumong", and "Air City", and she is filming the movie "School Story" with Jeon Moo-song and Park Cheol-min. She is also studying some drama scenarios.

Original Korean article at news.naver.com
English translation by www.hancinema.net

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 12:02 AM | Show all posts
May 19, 2008

Chae Si-ra, drama comeback after two years

Actress Chae Si-ra received the title role of the historical drama "Che".

KBS said on the 19th, "Chae Si-ra was chosen as the main character for "Empress Cheon Chu", which will star airing in October after "The Great King Sejong". This drama is about heroine of the Goryeo dynasty who fights against the Tungustic people of Manchuria in order to achieve the dream of reclaiming their old land.

As the granddaughter of Wang Geon, and mother of Mokjong, she had great power as a regent. Chae Si-ra will play Empress Cheon Chu, who has is broad-minded, and will show a charismatic heroine.

The script will be by Son Yeong-mok, who wrote "The Final Match" and "Faraway Country", the producer will be Sin Chang-seok of "The Age of Warriors" and "Golden Apple". For Chae Si-ra, who had her second child last November, it has been two years since her last drama, KBS "Invisible Man".

Original Korean article at news.naver.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 12:03 AM | Show all posts
May 21, 2008

[Interview] Song Hye-kyo "I got to do a movie like a first love"

Top star Song Hye-kyo was at the 61st Cannes International Film Festival. She agreed to star in Director John Woo's next work "1949", and although she arrived in Cannes on the 17th, she had to hide in her hotel room.

On the 20th around 10:30 am, Director Woo and Producer Terence Chang held a press conference for their next work, and when Song Hye-kyo appeared, the Chinese journalists were shocked. It was because Director Woo did not even mention Song Hye-kyo in a briefing session on the 19th.

She wore a white dress and arrived with her opposing character, Chinese actor Chang Chen. She seemed flushed to be working with big names.

Song Hye-kyo said, "Director Woo contacted me after watching "Hwangjin-y - Movie - 2007", It's my honor to be able to work with a director that I respect". Her popularity is high in China because of "Autumn in my Heart" and "Full House" and many journalists were asking more questions toward Song Hye-kyo than the director or Chang Chen.

The following is from the press conference and an interview afterward.

-How do you feel about starring in Director John Woo's "1949"?
-I'm very happy that I get to work with a famous director and Chang Chen. I'm nervous but I'm also excited. I want to show everyone a fantastic, completed movie.

-When did you get the request from Director Woo?
-Last January, he said that he liked "Hwangjin-i"and contacted me. He said the character images in "Hwangjin-i" and "1949" are similar. I received the scenario and I liked it so I decided to take it.

I met Chang Chen in an awards ceremony last March in Hong Kong. I had a good feeling about him and wanted to act with him, but I didn't know it would happen this quickly.

-What is the story of "1949" and what role do you have?
-This movie takes place in 1949. There are three couples, and Chang Chen and I are one of them. After wealthily living in Shanghai, I lose my husband in the war and go to Taiwan. I meet Chang Chen and meet a new fate.

-It's a historical film. How are you going to get into character?
-It is like homework because it's before I was born. I'm studying while looking at documents. I'm very happy about it because it's the first movie I'm filming in China. There will be other great actors, and I think it will be like a " first love " to me.

-Did you like Director Woo's works?
-I really like "The Killer". People say it is an action movie, but I say it's a love story. So I think he'll portray love in a warm and beautiful way in this movie, too. I'm looking forward to it.

-It's a Chinese role and you'll have Chinese lines. How are you preparing for that?
-There are not only Chinese lines, but English as well. There is not exact scenario yet so I'm preparing for it. I'm planning to try very hard.

-You agreed to a drama with Director Pyo Min-soo. Don't the schedules conflict?
-Director Pyo's drama will film in July and finish this year. "1949" will start filming at the end of the year and are aiming for a premiere next year, so there won't be a big problem.

-Isn't working with Director Woo overwhelming?
-I'm not in this movie alone, and there are many more famous actors. I'm the only Korean, but I want to film with a joyful heart instead of being overwhelmed.

-You arrived at Cannes on the 17th, but no one saw you.
-Director Woo said not to go anywhere until the press conference. So I stayed in the hotel except following the director to one party. He said not to meet with any reporters. (Laugh) I'm going back on the 21st so I'm going to enjoy the film festival as much as I can.

Original Korean article at news.empas.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 11:23 AM | Show all posts
Thanks to IUPHIMHAN at soompi.com for the highlight

Movies released in May and June

UNFORGETTABLE ("Seoul-o boinya")

"Seoul-o boinya") Line Pictures dusts off an old story and presents it to a new audience with their new film directed by debut filmmaker Song Dong-yun. The plot, done frequently in the 60's and 70's, is set in the 1970's and involves a modern young teacher arriving at her new post in the remote mountains of South Cheolla Province. There she becomes involved in the personal triumphs and tragedies of her students before taking them on their first field trip to Seoul. Yu Seung-ho, the young boy from The Way Home and Don't Tell Papa, takes a leading role as one of the students and the teacher is played by Oh Su-a of TV's The Island Teacher. This film was formerly titled "Uri Seonsaeng-nim" ("Our Teacher"), and after two years in limbo it will be released by Cinema Service on May 8.

NALLARI JONGBUJEON

After suddenly striking it rich, university student Yeon-su and her father are enjoying life. Yeon-su is perhaps enjoying it a little too much -- she's notoriously wild, and her pretty face only adds to her pride and abandon. One day, however, she meets a young guy who is her exact opposite, and sure enough, she falls in love. Singer-actress Park Jeong-ah (Madeleine) takes the lead role, while Park Jin-woo (Dasepo Naughty Girls' Anthony) co-stars as her beau and likeable character actor Lee Won-jong (Hi Dharma) plays her dad. Lotte Entertainment will release the film on May 22.

BANGOOL TOMATO

Despite living in extreme poverty an elderly man and his granddaughter never complain about their condition. In fact, their cheerful outlook on life serves as an example to everyone they encounter. Veteran actor Shin Gu takes the role of the philosophical grandfather old man with a heart of gold. Born in 1936, Shin Gu's career has spanned an impressive four decades. He had already graduated from one university majoring in Korean Literature when he enrolled in, and graduated from, the Seoul Institute of the Arts. He landed his first role in an early KBS drama and debuted on the silver screen in the 1973 action film Homecoming where he took the lead role as a North Korean agent who gradually changes his mind about his mission and betrays his superiors. More recently he has been in Righteous Ties, A Bold Family, and No Blood No Tears. In this latest film from P&J Cinema, his loving grandchild is played by Kim Hyang-gi from the film Hearty Paws. After much delay, a release is scheduled for May 29.

CROSSING

Director Kim Tae-gyun (Volcano High, Millionaire's First Love) has been making headlines with his latest production. It's the story of the problems facing North Koreans who cross the border into China. In the movie, Kim Yong-su crosses from a border town in North Korea to get medicine for his sick wife. However, he finds that he cannot return. When he doesn't come back, his eleven year old son decides to risk a trip across the border himself to find him. Cha In-pyo (Mokpo: Gangster's Paradise, Zzang) stars as Yong-su and his son is played by Shin Myeong-cheol. Also appearing are Seo Yeong-hwa (Memories of Murder) and Jeong In-gi (The Railroad). Produced by Camp B, the director and staff met with over 100 defectors to depict their experiences as realistically as possible. Filming is complete and this drama will be released by new distributor Vantage Holdings on June 5.

GIRL SCOUTS

Four women from very different walks of life unite in order to track down a thief who absconded with an enormous sum of money. Kim Suna (TV drama My Name is Sam-soon, S-Diary), Kim Kyeong-shil, veteran actress Na Moon-hee (The Quiet Family, Kidnapping Granny K) and Kim Eun-joo (Hansel and Gretel) comprise the main part of the cast who form their unique brand of girl scouts, despite their age, in order to take down the scheming owner of a beauty parlor played by Im Ji-eun (Fly Low, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance). This is the first film directed by Kim Sang-man, but he is no stranger to making movies. He has experience working as an art director (If the Sun Rose in the West, Happy End) and as a music director (Bloody Tie). To see a trailer and movie stills, go to www.girlscouts2008.co.kr. A release is scheduled for June 5.

BEYOND ALL MAGIC ("Heuksim-monyeo")

("Heuksim-monyeo") 38-year old Nam-hee (Shim Hye-jin) sells fruit from a truck for a living, and one day she comes across a nice-looking, rather naive young guy named Jun (played by Lee Sang-soo, Don't Look Back). He ends up coming home with her, where he meets grandmother Gan-nam (Kim Soo-mi), who suffers from dementia and believes she is still young, and pretty daughter Na-rae (debut actress Lee Da-hee), who dreams of becoming an announcer. Soon, all three women are competing for Jun's heart. Debut director Jo Nam-ho directs this comedy, which if nothing else features a nice cast. Showbox is planning to release it on June 12.

PUBLIC ENEMY RETURNS

("Gang Cheol-jung: Gonggong-ui jeok 1-1")

("Gang Cheol-jung: Gonggong-ui jeok 1-1") Director Kang Woo-suk got some egg on his face for his last attempt at a big-budget blockbuster, the chest-thumping Hanbando, and now he is returning to the series that resurrected his career. The original Public Enemy, starring Sol Kyung-gu, was a commercial and critical hit in 2002. The 2005 followup, Another Public Enemy, also starred Sol but he was playing a completely different character in that film. For the third time around, Sol will reprise the role of Kang Chul-joong from the original film, and he will be joined by talented actors Jung Jae-young, Lee Moon-shik, and Yu Hae-jin. Interestingly, the screenplay is written by Jang Jin, who is best known for his comedies but who has also shown interest in the action genre. Seemingly unsure of whether it is a sequel or a prequel, the film is calling itself "Public Enemy 1-1" in Korean. A release is slated for June 19.

MY MIGHTY PRINCESS
("Murim yeodaesaeng")

("Murim yeodaesaeng") Director Kwak Jae-yong still seems to be searching for a hit to match the popularity of his 2001 film My Sassy Girl. While his follow-up romance Classic was well-received his next film Windstruck was more than a little disappointing as was the writing he did for Andrew Lau's Daisy. This new film is a melodrama about the love life of a female college student with stupendous martial arts skills. The cast is headed by Shin Min-ah (Volcano High, Sad Movie) and co-stars On Ju-wan (City Of Violence, The Aggressives). It also features Yoo Geon (Dasepo Naughty Girls) and veteran actor Lee Dae-geun who debuted in the late 60s but recently appeared in Bet On My Disco. Originally this film was supposed to hit theaters in July 2007, but after a year-long delay it has finally scheduled a release date for June 26.

Source: http://koreanfilm.org/new.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 01:17 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa at soompi.com for the highlight

Source: VARIETY

Fine Cut sells "Den," "Chaser"

Written by Patrick Frater
Thursday, 22 May 2008

Cannes competition film "Leonera" (Lion's Den) has been widely sold after its official screenings. Helmed by Pablo Trapero and repped by South Korea's Fine Cut, pic was sold to Halcyon Pictures for the U.K., to MFA Film Distribution for Germany, to Ama Films for Greece, to Alta Classics for Spain, A- Film for Benelux region and Ad Vitam for France.

Fine Cut also scored sales on its Official Selection/Midnight Screening thriller "The Chaser" to MFA for Germany, Hwa Jaan for Taiwan, Rialto for Australia and to Non Stop for Scandinavia.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 01:19 PM | Show all posts
News Index PAGE 10

May 23, 2008: Kim Jang-hoon Donates 15 Million Won to North Korean Children
May 23: Song Hye-kyo Stars in John Woo Film
May 23: Cast of 揟he Legend

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 23-5-2008 01:44 PM | Show all posts
May 23, 2008

Kim Jang-hoon Donates 15 Million Won to North Korean Children

Singer Kim Jang-hoon is planning on donating 15 million won to an organization that aids the children of North Korea at the "Crossing" Special Movie Concert.

The investment and distribution company of "Crossing," Big House Vantage Holdings, announced that Kim will be participating in the movie concert to be held at the Jamsil Indoor Gymnasium on the night of the 26th. Along with his performance, Kim has pledged 15 million won as a donation.

"I'm deeply moved by all the community service that Cha In-pyo is involved in," said Kim. "I'm touched that Cha In-pyo and his wife, Shin Ae-ra, have adopted children into their family and are the sponsors of about 30 children around the world. If I can be of any help to Cha In-pyo, his new movie 'Crossing' and the children of North Korea, this is the least I can do."

"Crossing" is a movie opening on the 26th about a North Korean escapee and his son.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...5487_11858.html

PREVIOUSLY RELATED UPDATE May 14, 2008

Kim Jang-hoon Appointed VANK Ambassador

Singer Kim Jang-hoon will be appointed a public relations ambassador for online non-governmental foreign affairs organization Voluntary Agency Network of Korea, better known as VANK.

Well-known for his generous charity work, Kim has donated 100 million won or about 100 thousand dollars to VANK last year. His first project as VANK ambassador will be to launch a worldwide publicity campaign for Korea. Named 揟he 21st Century King Gwanggaeto Dream Wing Project,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 03:49 PM | Show all posts
May 23, 2008

Song Hye-kyo Stars in John Woo Film

Actress Song Hye-kyo has been cast in John Woo's next film starring Chen Chang.

At the "1949" press conference held in Hotel Majestic this 20th during the International Cannes Festival, Song arrived accompanied by director Woo and producer Terrance Chang.

"1949" is a movie set in 1949 and it is about a heart-wrenching love story that takes place amidst the civil unrest in China between Kuomintang (Nationalist Party) and the Communist Party. Chen Chang and Song are its main characters.

"Out of all my movies, this one focuses most on humanity," said Woo. "It will portray true love."

Song said she received a casting call for the movie at the beginning of this year. "The script was compelling and I'm thrilled that I had the opportunity to work with director Woo," she added.

Woo is in the middle of post-production for "Red Cliff," which is a movie set for summer release about the greatest battle in the Three Kingdom's period. Chen Chang also starred in this movie.

Source: KBS Global
http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1525600_11858.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 07:01 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to the highlight by kdramafanusa at soompi.com

May 23, 2008

Cast of 揟he Legend

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2008 07:06 PM | Show all posts
May 22, 2008

Epik High抯 Tablo Recovers from Car Accident

Hip hop group Epik High抯 leader Tablo has returned to work after a car accident left him in hospital on Tuesday. He appeared on the cable music channel Mnet抯 揗 Countdown

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 24-5-2008 12:46 AM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa at soompi.com for the update

May 23, 2008

Indiana aims to crack open box-office skulls

It's been a long, long time since Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. rode off into the sunset. Or, to be more specific, it's been 19 years. Yet it is still too early to discount this Hollywood adventure film franchise. In fact, the newest Indiana installment seems likely to snatch up many, if not most, of the box-office skulls in Korea.

After a press preview on Tuesday, initial reaction from theater operators and critics to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" seemed largely positive, especially concerning its potential as a box-office frontrunner. The film, released nationwide yesterday, is widely expected to outsmart other Korean and foreign competitors easily.

The film had already scooped up a record 86 percent in ticket reservation rates across the nation as of Wednesday according to the Korean Film Council, sparking speculation that Indiana might ride off to the biggest hit in Korean cinema this year.

The fourth installment of the much-touted Indiana series is not without weaknesses. The extravagant computer graphics have been certainly overdone - so much so that Harrison Ford, who has been playing the worldly, punch-trading archeologist since 1928, looks somewhat "alien" in the South American jungle. The ultimate secret surrounding the mystery - the Crystal Skull of Akator - might not please all moviegoers, especially those who want a pure-play action-oriented adventure, not the oft-hackneyed theme of something that goes beyond our earth-bound grasp.

But Steven Spielberg knows how to rein in the uncontrollable wanderlust of Professor Jones while setting the action sequence machine wheeling and spinning at a breakneck speed that will surely delight diehard fans with an appetite for lethal traps, hidden entrances and goose bump-raising insects.

In the movie, Indy encounters rebellious young Mutt (Shia LaBeouf), who sets them on a mission with personal stakes but packages it as a quest for the most spectacular archaeological find in history. Before Indy notices it, he finds himself setting out for the most remote corners of Peru along with Mutt - but it turns out that they are not alone.

This straightforward storyline, interspersed with occasional twists, is designed to justify and highlight all the action sequences. Forecasting a far stronger demand than usual, the film's Korean distributor CJ Entertainment has secured about 570 screens for "Crystal Skull."

The mighty publicity machine of the Spielberg-led Indiana franchise, bolstered by CJ Entertainment and its affiliated multiplex chain CGV, hints at a convincing formula for a smashing hit in the Korean market.

The question is whether Indiana's crystal skull can shine through that 10-million viewer market. Several Korean flicks have achieved that box-office landmark, helped by the steady increase in multiplexes and a growing moviegoer base. But no Hollywood film has reached the 8 million viewer mark in Korea, much less 10 million.

Last year, "Transformers" set a new record here as a Hollywood blockbuster by selling 7.45 million tickets, taking advantage of its universal appeal to audiences from adults to children. The Indiana series has similar qualities given that its simple adventure tale, without much violence, can appeal to all the age groups. An extra advantage is that many Korean moviegoers in their 30s and 40s vividly remember Indy's weapons of choice - the whip and his cunning flexibility to use a gun from anywhere when confronted with an armed enemy in a public square.

A decisively favorable condition for Indy in Korea is that major Korean films have put off their release schedules in order to avoid a direct showdown with the film, amid growing concerns about the dearth of Korean hits.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

Source: The Korea Herald

Use magic Report

Post time 24-5-2008 12:37 PM | Show all posts
Sean releases a photo essay book
May 20, 2008

Jinusean’s Sean and devoted mother and wife Jung Hye Young come out with a 216-page photo essay book entitled “Today the I Love You.” Included in the said book are stuffs about the family’s life that were taken from the couple’s mini homepage entries, letters of the couple that have not been posted online before and the couple’s child-rearing methods on their 2 children, Haeum and Harang.

The photo essay book sells for 13,000 won.

Source: Yonhap + krnloop

-----
Rumor mill: Park Tae Hwan & Sunye
May 24, 2008

The rumor involving swimmer Park Tae Hwan and Wonder Girls member Sunye as a couple is now again in the news. Earlier this year, this rumor already became a hot issue and at that time, the two parties denied the rumor and emphasized that they are “only friends.”

But just recently, when Wonder Girls released its music video for its new song “So Hot,” which is from its 3rd single album, the rumor between Park Tae Hwan and Sunye arose again.

The rebirth of the rumor was based from Park Tae Hwan’s entry in his mini homepage. In it, he posted, “so hot~♪,” which also happens to be the title of Wonder Girls’ new song. Netizens found this strange because this was posted on May 18, days before the title of Wonder Girls’ song was released.

Now, Netizens are thinking that the two are really a couple and that Park Tae Hwan “knew” the title of Wonder Girls’ song because he has a “source,” which is Sunye.

Source: Sports Chosun + krnloop

-----
Collaboration: Lee Hyun Do & Wheesung
May 24, 2008

Lee Hyun Do and Wheesung collaborate for a song that is included in the former’s single project. Lee Hyun Do’s single project is going to be a series of songs that were collaborated with other singers and not only with Wheesung.

Included in this project is the R&B song “We’re Not Crazy,” which was recorded by Wheesung even before he released his 5th album. “We’re Not Crazy” will be available in online music sites like Melon and Nate starting May 27.

Source: Starnews + krnloop

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 24-5-2008 12:46 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa-soompi.com for the highlight

May 19, 2008

Ha Ji-won Commended for Her Good Deeds

Korea抯 top-rated actress Ha Ji-won received Prime Minister抯 Commendation by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family this afternoon. She is the only celebrity to be honored with the commendation. Ha has been applauded for her charity works for the disabled and needy families. The award ceremony was held at the Korea Chamber of Commerce.

Ha has long been known for her good deeds, not stopping at taking part in one-time events or making sporadic donations, but getting involved from the planning stage. The commendation to Ha was particularly meaningful, because she is the only award recipient from the entertainment industry. Also the 2008 Family Month Celebratory Event is the first one of such event since the Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Family took over the authority over Korea抯 family policies.

Ha doesn抰 seem to think that she deserves the commendation, because there are many others who do more work for the needy. She promised to try even harder from now on to set an example for the rest of the industry.

Source: KBS World

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 24-5-2008 12:55 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to the highlight by kdramafanusa-soompi.com

May 21, 2008

Kim Hee-seon an Expectant Mom

Actress Kim Hee-seon will be having a baby sometime in late January next year. Often cited Korea抯 most beautiful actress, Kim went to an OB/GYN yesterday to confirm her pregnancy. She is currently five weeks into her pregnancy and her due date is late January 2009. Kim and her husband are naturally elated, and her in-laws are also overjoyed to see their first grandchild.

According to Kim抯 closest associate, the actress found out about a week ago that she was expecting, after taking several at-home pregnancy tests. Kim抯 friend said that Kim wanted to have a baby ever since she got married and always dreamed of having at least three children. Kim herself is an only child, so she has always wanted a big family.

Kim has married businessman Park Ju-young, second son of Larksan Group Chairman Park Seong-gwan, in October 2007. She has stayed out of the limelight since she got married, and with the news of her pregnancy, her comeback is likely to be postponed until late next year after she gives birth to her baby.

Kim抯 filmography includes 揟he Myth

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-5-2008 11:13 AM | Show all posts

May 24, 2008

Actors walk out of MBC's 'Yi San'

[image=JoongAng/ISPlus]

Fans of the popular MBC drama, "Yi San," might have to wait awhile to see the final episodes. An actors' union yesterday decided to halt the drama starting next week after failed wage negotiations.

"The strike will begin with Yi San, and it is possible that we might boycott all MBC programs," said Moon Je-gap, the union's policy director. "We will decide how far to go soon."

The union of actors, singers, models and other entertainment industry workers was established in 1988 and has a total of 12,000 members. The union strike is the first in 17 years, when it walked out in June 1991 for 20 days. Current Culture Ministry Yu In-chon was the union's chairman at the time.

The union and MBC have been negotiating over wages since November of last year. The union demanded an 8 percent raise for actors and actresses and a 17 percent raise for singers. MBC proposed a 6 percent raise for actors and a 15 percent raise for singers.

The two parties failed to narrow the gap, and negotiations broke off on Wednesday.

On May 6, the union agreed with KBS to a 6 percent raise for actors and a 15 percent raise for singers. The union claims that MBC should pay more since MBC operates in the black while KBS continues to run a deficit.

The Seoul Regional Labor Relations Commission's arbitration proposal was identical to the union's demand.

"We cannot accept the commission's proposal either," said an official at the broadcaster who refused to be named.

Yi San is one of the broadcaster's most popular dramas, with viewer ratings hitting 30 percent.

Five more episodes remain in the season. As MBC has almost finished filming two of the five episodes, which it will air on Monday and Tuesday, only three episodes will be affected by the strike, according to the broadcaster.

"We will contact individual actors and actresses in the drama and persuade them not to join the strike," said an official at the broadcaster's production department, who refused to be named. "To prepare for the worst-case scenario, we will consider revising scripts [so that those who join the strike would not appear in the episodes]."

By Kim Ki-chan, Ki Seon-min
JoongAng Ilbo [soejung@joongang.co.kr]

Source:
JoongAng Daily

Use magic Report

Post time 26-5-2008 01:14 PM | Show all posts
-----
2008 Dream Concert
May 25, 2008

The Korean Entertainment Producers Association and broadcasting station SBS join hands for a music festival called “I Love Korea! 2008 Dream Concert,” which will be held on June 7 at 7 pm at the Seoul Jamsil Olympic Stadium.

The said music festival will be attended by no less than the top singers in the Korean music scene like TVXQ, SS501, Epik High, Super Junior, MC Mong, Jewelry, Maya, Wonder Girls, Girls’ Generation, Buga Kingz, Baechigi, Typhoon, Shinee, Mighty Mouth, Peter and Japanese Yoshihiro Akiyama.

The “Dream Concert,” which is now on its 14th year, aims to not only be a music festival but also to become a campaign to promote patriotism and to stop illegal use of music and other contents.

For ticket inquiries, visit the homepages of Gmarket and PandoraTV.

Source: Yonhap + krnloop

-----
Gummy temporarily takes a rest
May 25, 2008

Gummy is temporarily stopping activities because of Laryngitis that was due to non-stop promotions since the release of her 4th album in March.

According to YG Entertainment, Gummy’s busy schedule has caused a lot of strain on her larynx and physical well-being, which in turn have also taken their toll on her performances. It may be remembered that when Gummy released her 1st album, she also had a problem with her vocal cord.

As soon as Gummy regains her health, she will be back again to do activities.

Source: Osen + krnloop

-----
Kan Mi-youn and Jackie Chan Record Song for China Quake Victims
2008-05-26

Singers Kan Mi-youn and Yoo Seung-jun recently recorded a song with top Chinese celebrities to console the victims of the devastating earthquake in Sechuan Province, China.

The two Korean singers recently finished recording "Acceptance" at a Beijing studio with top Chinese celebrities including Liu Yifei and Fan Bingbing under the direction of Jackie Chan.

Kan, who is currently based in China, says she is deeply aware of the gravity of the sitauation and that she hopes to offer what little help she can for the devastated victims.

Prior to taking part in the song recording, Kan also took part in a benefit concert for the victims organized by Beijing's central radio broadcasting company.

c: KBS Global

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-5-2008 01:44 PM | Show all posts

May 26, 2008

Unionized Actors, Singers Strike at MBC

Kim Eung-suk, the leader of the entertainers

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2008 01:46 PM | Show all posts

May 25, 2008

Theater Series Much Closer to Audience

By Chung Ah-young
Staff Reporter

Programmer and actor Cho Jae-hyun comes up with the lineup of plays, casting, promotion and marketing for 揧eongeuk Yeoljeon 2

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2008 01:47 PM | Show all posts

Director Park Chan-wook on CNN's TalkAsia

A vivid scene
10:07
CNN's Anjali Rao talks to famed director Park Chan-wook.
VIDEO: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/05/14/...tml#cnnSTCVideo
Source: CNN | Added On May 16, 2008

Park Chan-wook: Mild-mannered man of vengeance

By Dean Irvine
CNN

(CNN) -- For Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook, revenge is a dish best served live.

Park Chan-wook, master of "Asian extreme":

"Aren't we all born to this earth without a reason?"

The director most associated with the "Asian extreme" genre and known for his "Vengeance trilogy," once made one of his actors eat a live octopus -- three times.

Many of his films then are not for the faint-hearted, or weak of stomach, but devouring a live cephalopod is relatively mild compared to some of the themes of Park's films.

However, it's the psychology of violence rather than all-out blood, guts and tentacles that has been the focus of much of his work.

"It's the fear and disturbance that comes right before the violent act and the pain that comes after it. ... I am not greatly interested in the action itself. I believe that portraying violence in this way does not really influence audiences to engage in violence," he said.

The 44-year-old filmmaker's skewed view first gained international attention with his "Vengeance trilogy": "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" was released in 2002; "Old Boy" won the Cannes Grand Jury Prize in 2004; followed by "Lady Vengeance" in 2005. Park, however, first found big-screen success in 2000 with "Joint Security Area."

Portraying North Korean soldiers in a more sympathetic light than their South Korean counterparts, "Joint Security Area" became the top all-time moneymaker in South Korea at the time.

It took a liberal view of a previously taboo subject, but did not hint at the stylized and inventive way in which the director took on some dark themes in the "Vengeance" films.

While there are plenty of visceral elements in his films, and some jolting editing techniques (he once described them as "like a knife cutting through tofu"), the considered and soft-spoken director is worlds away from his twisted films' characters.

"Personally, I think that my normality and the fact that I grew up in a very average environment made me grow tired of it all, and make movies to escape the monotony," he said.

Park has said that his early movie education mainly came from watching old Hollywood films. Many influences on his work have come from sources outside of cinema, including Manga comics, one of which was the inspiration for "Old Boy".

"At first when I heard the story, it was about a person who was thrown into the middle of nowhere, without knowing why he was there or how long he would have to stay. I was attracted by this setting. This, for me, was a significant depiction of the condition of human beings. Aren't we all born to this earth without a reason? And we also don't know when we're going to die...I was attracted to this idea for the movie."

Knowing that he wanted to be a filmmaker came towards the end of his student days.

It was his interest in aesthetics as a student of philosophy that led to an initial ambition to be a film critic. It was only when he saw Hitchcock's "Vertigo" for the first time as part of a student film society did he realized he had to switch from writing about film to making it.

Added to that personal epiphany, it was the same day that he met his future wife, with whom he has as 12-year-old daughter.

His last film, "I'm a Cyborg," took a different tack from those used to the depravity of the "Vengeance trilogy". Focusing on a patient in a mental institution who thinks she's a robot, it has an off-beat charm, and the hyper-violence of earlier films was dispensed with in favor of child-like whimsy.

As well as showing another side of Park's character, he has admitted it was also a chance to make a film his daughter could enjoy with her friends. His next work, "Thirst," a vampire film, will be a return to violence and twisted relationships .

"I think it will be the most moral movie of mine ever, because the main character doesn't really want to drink but has to go through the conflict of that and so it will be dark, it won't be the darkest film," he told CNN.

Source: CNN.com

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOW ... dex.html#cnnSTCText

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-5-2008 01:48 PM | Show all posts

Director & Cast of "The Good, The Bad & The Weird" in Cannes

CANNES, FRANCE - MAY 24: Actors Jung Woo Sung, Lee Byung Hun and Song Kang Ho with director Kim Jee Woon attend the Le Bon, La Brute Et Le Cingle Photocall at the Palais des Festivals during the 61st International Cannes Film Festival on May 24, 2008 in Cannes, France.

Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun, Jung Woo Sung and Dir. Kim Jee Woon

Source & credits: Cannes Official Website & GettyImages with thanks to the highlight by ylin

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

9-5-2024 07:15 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.071834 second(s), 41 queries .