CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News Update (siri 2)

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 3-5-2008 12:16 AM | Show all posts
May 2, 2008

Jeonju International Film Festival: Actor Ahn Sung-ki, left, and actress Choi Jung-won walk together on the red carpet to host the opening ceremony at the 9th Jeonju International Film Festival at Sori Arts Center in Jeonju, North Jeolla Province, Thursday. The festival brings 195 movies from 40 nations from May 1-9./ Yonhap

Source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2008/05/141_23570.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-5-2008 02:15 AM | Show all posts
AJOO to perform in Thailand
April 22, 2008

Valentine’s Day boy AJOO was invited to perform at the anniversary concert of “Advance Radio,” which is a subsidiary of Channel V Thailand, on the 27th at the Central World in Bangkok, Thailand. AJOO is the only South Korean singer invited to the event and he will be performing his debut song “First Kiss” and “Alarm 6:00″ during the concert.

On the 26th and 28th, AJOO is scheduled to have newspaper, magazine, TV and radio interviews and also TV guest appearances. On the 29th, AJOO will have a press conference and fan meeting at the Siam Discovery Center.

Channel V Thailand cameras will also be following AJOO while in Thailand and the captured videos are scheduled to be aired in a special program.

AJOO returns to Korea on May 1.

Source: Starnews + krnloop

-----
Seo In Young, outfit plagiarism?
April 22, 2008

Netizens are at it again! Now they are criticizing Seo In Young’s outfit in Jewelry’s “Silence!” music video, which was shot yesterday. According to Netizens, it was copied from Christina Aguilerra’s outfit in her “Can’t Hold Us Down” music video.

“The two outfits look so much alike” and “She seems to have no individuality” are comments seen online, which pertain to the similarity between Seo In Young and Christina Aguillera’s outfits, but not everyone is against Seo In Young because one Netizen posted, “Is it already plagiarism just because their clothes are the same?”

Slanderin’ names for popularity
It’s sad you only get your fame through controversy
So what am I not supposed to say what I’m saying
Are you offended by the message I’m bringing
Call me whatever cos your words don’t mean a thing
Guess you ain’t even a man enough to handle what I sing

Source: Sports Chosun + krnloop

-----
CJ Media opens own Youtube page
April 22, 2008

CJ Media has opened today, April 22, its own brand page called “Mnet” in the largest video site, Youtube. Contents from other affiliates of CJ Media like tvN, Channel CGV, Xports, XTM, O’Live, CJ Entertainment (Movies), Mnet Media (Mnet, KM) are also to be uploaded soon.

As this page is targeted for overseas viewers, video contents uploaded in the 5 video categories (Celebrity News, Drama/Series, Movies, Music and Variety/Reality) have English subtitles. CJ Media also plans to upload 200 or more videos in a year in its brand page.

Source: Yonhap + krnloop

Use magic Report

Post time 3-5-2008 02:59 AM | Show all posts
Seo In Young says no to nude pictures
April 23, 2008

Jewelry member Seo In Young guested in the OBS show “The Interview” where she said that she would not go nude even if she were paid a high amount of money.

She said, “I won’t do nude pictures even if I were offered 100 billion won. I only want the person who I love to see me nude.”

“I don’t want others to see me like that and I’ll only show my body to the man who I’ll marry. It doesn’t feel right to show my body just for a huge amount of money,” Seo In Young continued saying, who confessed that she was offered to go nude before but refused to do it.

“I was also asked by people if I’d accept the offer for 100 billion won but I’m absolutely not taking the offer.”

During the interview, Seo In Young was also asked if it were true that a breast exposure happened during the first episode of the MBC show “We’re Married.” Seo In Young was quick to answer and said that there was no breast exposure but the tops she was wearing at that time were indeed revealing. She said that there has been a lot of issues recently and they worry her but she is just now concentrating on working hard.

Meanwhile, the interview of Seo In Young and the rest of Jewelry will be aired on the 26th.

-----
Ga-in to perform IVY’s “A-HA”
April 24, 2008

Brown Eyed Girls member Ga-in is going to perform IVY’s “A-HA” in today’s episode of Mnet “MCountdown” so expect Ga-in to do the song’s signature “sexy chair dance.”

“I’m practicing hard. There’s just so many things different between IVY and me like the height, looks and voice. It’s not easy to imitate. I’ll just do my best and show the best performance I can give,” Ga-in said, who has started practicing 2 weeks ago.

According to Mnet Media, the audience should expect Ga-in’s sexy side in this performance.

Source: Hankooki + krnloop

-----
45rpm: First solo concert
April 24, 2008

Hip hop group 45rpm is holding its first solo concert entitled “The First Time” on May 17 at Catch Light club in Hongdae.

This is the first time 45rpm, who was formed in 1999 and formally debuted in mainstream in 2005, to hold its first concert. For the past years, 45rpm guested in about 100 concerts, such as of Seo Tae Ji, DJ DOC and Lee Seung Hwan.

According to 45rpm, everything that it has perfected for the past 9 years in several stages will be seen in the concert.

Meanwhile, concert ticket sale will start on April 28 in Interpark and Hiphopplaya.

Source: Newsen + krnloop

Use magic Report

Post time 3-5-2008 03:16 AM | Show all posts
MISS PRISSY praises Son Dambi
April 24, 2008

Son Dambi received praises from international choreographer MISS PRISSY, who is also known as the “Queen of Krump.”

Flashback, when Son Dambi debuted in June 2007, she showed off her Krumping skills, which she learned from MISS PRISSY’s dance class in Los Angeles.

MISS PRISSY’s good words for Son Dambi went on with, “If you’re not Black, it’s difficult to express the feelings and the moves of this dance but she does it very well. If she debuts in the US, she’s got the ability to do so. If Son Dambi’s given the opportunity to debut in the US, I’d like to be for once in-charge of her choreography.”

Meanwhile, Son Dambi is going to make a mini-album comeback on the 30th.

Source: Mydaily + krnloop

-----
Jewelry members’ ideal guys
April 25, 2008

Jewelry members talked about their ideal guys in an episode of the OBS show “The Interview,” which will be aired on the 26th.

Seo In Young said, “Crown J, Alex or all the guys I’m with in a certain program are not my ideal types but Crown J is close to being one. If a guy is as serious as Alex, it is likely that he will get irritated with my character because we don’t match. I like men who don’t have double eyelids like Lee Jung Jae and So Ji Sup. I like a guy who’s broad-minded and considerate.”

Park Jung Ah expressed that now that she is already 27 years old, she is a bit lonely and would like to receive and give love to someone.

“I like someone who is sincere and honest. I’d like to live happily like Choi Soo Jong and Ha Hee Ra,” Park Jung Ah revealed.

When it came to the two new members, Ha Joo Yeon said that she likes a cheerful guy like Yoo Jae Suk while Kim Eun Jung revealed that she likes an attractive guy like Wonbin.

-----
Chae Yeon invests on “Bequem”
April 30, 2008

Chae Yeon has decided to invest in the fashion brand “Bequem.” Taken from the German word that means “comfortable,” the sexy singer is going to be hands-on on “Bequem” and will be involved in the planning, marketing and distribution of the brand.

The brand, which expresses the sensibility of an extremely gorgeous woman, is planned to venture into clothing, accessories and miscellaneous goods.

According to Chae Yeon, she was able to save money during her 10-year career and decided to invest in the said business because she feels that she knows the fashion industry well and has the confidence to manage it.

Chae Yeon added, “I don’t want the brand to be referred to as the “Chae Yeon brand” but as “Bequem.”

Use magic Report

Post time 3-5-2008 03:23 AM | Show all posts
b]Nell won Mutizen Song award for the first time
April 30, 2008

Nell’s “Time to Search One’s Memory,” won last Sunday’s Mutizen Song award of SBS “Inkigayo,” which was hosted by Song Ji Hyo and Super Junior member Choi Shiwon. Apart from winning the said award, Nell also ranked 2nd in the show’s mobile ranking, following Davich’s “Sad Promise.”

Upon accepting the award, the first-time Mutizen Song award winner band said “Thank you” in a rather shy manner.

-----
Son Dambi, “Bad Boy” teaser video
April 30, 2008

On April 28, a day before the online release of Son Dambi’s mini album, a 40-second teaser video of the album’s title track entitled “Bad Boy” was released, which showcased Son Dambi’s feminine and powerful sexy image and contrasted to her tough image during the “Cry Eye” single promotions.

Aside from coming back in the music scene, Son Dambi is now also busy preparing for her acting debut. According to her agency, Son Dambi is currently receiving drama proposals and doing acting workshops.

Meanwhile, 3 commercials of Son Dambi are expected to be broadcast soon. Son Dambi will have her comeback stage in Music Bank on May 2.

Source: Newsen + krnloop

-----
RAN: 3rd album comeback
May 1, 2008

After 2 years, RAN makes a comeback with her 3rd album entitled “I Love You,” which according to her agency IS Entertainment, is composed of songs fit for this season. Moreover, listeners will feel the contrast in the album’s title track called “I Love You” because of its sad lyrics but cheerful aura.

“This is he first time I did a sad song that has a cheerful feeling. It’s been a long time since I had activities and I’ll be showing a part of me that I haven’t shown until now,” RAN said.

The album was released online last April 29 and will be available in record stores starting next week.

Source: Naver + krnloop

Use magic Report

Post time 3-5-2008 03:39 AM | Show all posts
Lee Hyo Ri: before she was HYO RI!
May 1, 2008

These are the elementary, high school and university orientation pictures of Lee Hyo Ri that she showed during the April 26 episode of “Off the Rec.”

Source: Edaily + krnloop

-----
Sung Si Kyung & Brian host “Help Me! Cooking Box”
May 1, 2008

Who is the better cook: Sung Si Kyung or Brian?

Starting May 2, the two will host a new show called “Help Me! Cooking Box,” which airs in the cable channel Story On. The two will act as the heads of each team and instruct the challengers, who happen to be housewives who cannot cook well, on cooking. Experts will be present in the show to declare the winning housewife.

“It’ll be a great opportunity to eat good food every week and to learn new cooking tips. I’ll do my best in sharing cooking tips with new housewives and viewers,” Sung Si Kyung said with regard to his new hosting job.

Brian is up for the cooking challenge and commented that as he lives alone, his cooking know-how is not that bad. By the looks of it, Brian seems ready to battle it out with Sung Si Kyung.

-----
Bye Eru!
May 1, 2008

On May 1, Eru (Jo Sung Hyun, 25) saluted fans before entering the Nonsan training camp in Chungnam. His father, Tae Jin Ah, was there to send him off. Eru will be undergoing a four-week basic military training and after finishing it, he will be serving as a community worker.

Eru was a US citizen because he was born in New York but before his debut as a singer, Eru let go of his American citizenship.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 3-5-2008 11:47 AM | Show all posts
April 30, 2008

Korean Drama to be Aired in Iraq

Korean drama 揗y Name is Kim Samsoon

Use magic Report

Post time 3-5-2008 11:27 PM | Show all posts
YG’s female trio
May 1, 2008

Yang Hyun Suk revealed in an interview last April 30 that YG Entertainment is set to release a 3-member female group this Summer. The group’s name has not been decided yet.

Dubbed as the “Female BIG BANG,” the group is composed of Park Bom, who became popular because of an Anycall commercial she participated in with Lee Hyo Ri and Lee Jun Ki, Gong Minji, granddaughter of Korean Dance Artist Gong Ok Jin, and CL, who was seen in the performance of YG Family in last year’s SBS Music Awards.

Morever, BIG BANG member G-dragon was known to take charge in producing the trio’s debut album.

-----
Uptown member Steve Kim suspected of using illegal drugs
May 2, 2008

Uptown member Steve Kim (31) and vocal trainer Park Sun Joo (37) are facing investigations on suspected illegal drugs usage.

According to the Busan District Public Prosecutors Office’s Narcotic Drugs Crime Investigation Department, Steve Kim and Park Sun Joo are suspected to habitually use Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) or more commonly known as Ecstasy.

“We are currently in the midst of investigations and details can’t be revealed but it’s true that the two are being investigated for suspected illegal drugs usage,” revealed today, May 2, by an official from the Narcotic Drugs Crime Investigation Department.

Park Sun Joo has been suspected of using MDMA since December 16, 2006 in Seoul, Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong while Steve Kim has been suspected of using Marijuana and Methamphetamine from November 20, 2007 to April 9, 2008.

credits: Starnews + krnloop

-----
AJOO: successful Thai promotions
May 2, 2008

AJOO successfully held his Thailand promotions, which ran from April 27 to April 29. In fact, on his last day in the country, the new singer held a fan meeting that was attended by more fans than what was expected.

“AJOO had a fan meeting and showcase on the afternoon of April 29 at the Siam Center in Bangkok, Thailand. About 2,000 fans came to see AJOO, even watching him through windows and while staying in the bridge and stairs near the outdoor stage,” STAM Entertainment, AJOO’s label, announced.

STAM continued, “From his arrival on April 26 until his departure on May 1, Thai fans, in vans and taxis, followed quite all of his appointments. A number of fans also waited for him in the hotel from dawn to evening.”

The label also mentioned that officials from GRAMMY, a famous music company in Thailand, showed great interest in AJOO and even personally watched his showcase and fan meeting. During the showcase, AJOO performed “First Kiss,” “Alarm 6:00″ and Gareth Gates’ “Anyone of Us” while playing the piano.

Moreover, STAM relayed that an official of Channel V Thailand evaluated that AJOO, although a new singer, has a lot of talent and has the potential to succeed in the Asian market.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-5-2008 01:16 PM | Show all posts
May 5, 2008

Korean Hit Dramas Shown in Laos

Following the introduction of three local dramas last year, everything about Korea from pop music to motor vehicles are taking off in the Southeast Asian nation of Laos.

Shin Haejoo has more on the latest nation to be struck by the ''Korean Wave'' of culture.

In the southeast Asian country Laos, just about anything made in Korea seems to catch on.

Interest in Korea started with the launching of three Korean hit drama series in Laos last November as part of the Korea Broadcasting Commission's project to increase Korean presence in the region.

The shows that aired are two historic TV dramas,''Hwang Jini,'' which tells the true story of a legendary Korean entertainer during the Joseon Dynasty, and ''Dae Jang Geum,'' which is a fictional twist on the first female royal physician of the Joseon Dynasty.
The last one is a modern story ''Stairway to Heaven'' with a plot that resembles the old Cinderella tale.

Active ties between the two country's broadcasting systems began last year with the signing of an MOU, or memorandum of understanding, in Seoul.

That kick-started support by the Korea Broadcasting Commission, which donated almost a hundred-thousand US dollars worth of broadcasting facilities to Laos' state-run television network and its cultural ministry.

Continued exposure to Korean culture through collaborations like these have led to better business in Laos for Korean companies.

Nowadays it's easier to find more Korean-made cars and an increase in demand at record stores in Laos for modern Korean pop music.

Credits: Shin Haejoo, Arirang News
http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/Ne ... =Ne6&category=7

[ Last edited by  katt at 6-5-2008 10:59 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-5-2008 03:45 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa at soompi.com for the article & translated gist

May 2, 2008

Remaking Of Domestic & Foreign Works

[1] Remakes of Domestic Dramas

Remakes of older dramas: Trap Of Youth (1999, SBS), Love & Ambition (2006, SBS), Wife (2003, KBS)

Actress Shim Eun-ha's drama "Trap Of Youth" (1999, SBS) was popular writer Kim Soo-hyun's 1st remake of MBC drama from 1978; her 2nd remake was Jo Min-ki, Lee Hoon, Han Go-eun's "Love And Ambition" (SBS, 2006), the original version was from MBC in 1986. "Wife" (Kim Hee-ae, Yoo Dong-geun, and Uhm Jung-hwa) was also a remake of a 1982 drama.

^ SBS drama "Trap Of Youth" (1999) with actress Shim Eun-ha

^ KBS drama "Wife" (2003) with actress Kim Hee-ae

Current Remakes: "Seoul Earthen Bowl" (KBS 2TV daily drama starting on June 2nd) , "General Hospital" (2nd half of 2008 broadcast)

[3] Korean Remakes of Japanese Works

^ Japanese drama "Hana Yori Dango" (Boys Before Flowers; Meteor Garden)

Korean drama, adapted from Japanese manga "Hana Yori Dango", is planned for the 2nd half of this year.

Kim Myung-min's "White Tower" (2007, MBC): Original novel by Yamazaki Toyoko; J-drama "Shiroi Kyoto" in 1978 and 2003 from FujiTV.

Ko Hyun-jung, Ji Jin-hee, Jo In-sung's "Spring Days" (2005, SBS): J-drama "Hoshi No Kinka / Heaven's Coins / Die Sterntaler" (1995, NTV) with Sakai Noriko, Osawa Takao, Takenouchi Yutaka.

Kim Hee-sun, Ko Soo's "My Fair Lady" (2003, SBS): J-drama "Yamato Nadeshiko" (2000, FujiTV) with Matsushima Nanako and Tsutsumi Shinichi.

^ SBS drama "Spring Days" [Ko Hyun-jung, Ji Jin-hee]

^ MBC drama "White Tower" [Kim Chang-wan, Kim Myung-min]

^ SBS drama "My Fair Lady" [Kim Hee-sun, Ko Soo]

[4] Japanese Remakes of Korean Works

Drama "Hotelier" (2001, MBC) -> "Hotelier" (2007, TV Asahi drama)
Movie "My Boss, My Hero" (2001) -> "My Boss, My Hero" (2006, NTV drama) with TOKIO member Nagase Tomoya
Movie "My Sassy Girl" (2001) -> "Ryokiteki Na Kanojo" (2008, TBS drama) with SMAP member Kusanagi Tsuyoshi and Tanaka Rena

^ Jung Woo-sung & Son Ye-jin in movie "A Moment To Remember" (2004)

^ Jeon Ji-hyun & Cha Tae-hyun in movie "My Sassy Girl" (2001)

Son Ye-jin & Jung Woo-sung's movie "A Moment To Remember" (2004) was based on Japanese drama "Pure Soul ~ Kimi Ga Boku Wo Wasuretemo ~ / Even If You Forget Me" (2001, YTV). After "AMTR" became a big hit in Japan in 2005, it was remade into Japanese drama special "Watashi No Atama No Naka No Keshigomu / An Eraser In My Head" (2007, NTV) again with Fukada Kyoko and Oikawa Mitsuhiro.

Source: Chosun 2008-05-02

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-5-2008 09:24 PM | Show all posts
May 5, 2008

Park Kyung-ni's Works Translated Onscreen

By Lee Hyo-won
Staff Reporter

A scene from the hit 2004 TV drama "Land" (Toji) inspired by the epic novel of the same name by Park Kyung-ni. / Courtesy of SBS

Park Kyung-ni's novels are considered to be classics, and the fact that her works are revived time after time onscreen is one proof of this. Screen adaptations for both movies and TV soap operas show the enduring quality of her work.

Park's most celebrated novel "Toji" (Land) was adapted onscreen numerous times. It is often considered a timeless historical novel, and even a cartoon version was published last year. Told in five parts over 16 volumes, it portrays the social climate of the early 20th century. But tracing the lives, loves and sorrow of peasants and nobilities, "Land" features universal themes that still appeal to people today.

The story appeared as a movie in 1974, starring veteran actor Lee Soon-jae. It inspired three television soaps in 1979, 1986 and 2004 respectively. The latest version was particularly significant as it followed the publication of the fifth and final episode of the epic work in 1994.

The SBS drama was a big budget project shot over 20 months. The 50-episodes starred popular actress Kim Hyun-joo as its heroine Seo-hui and some 600 other characters. The huge popularity of the series lived up to the big expectations and production costs.

Another piece seen onscreen is "The Saint and the Witch," a melodrama about crisscrossed romances. It appeared on the silver screen in 1969. Directed by Na Han-bong, it stars actors Lee Soon-jae and Shin Young-gyun ― now aged ― as dashing heartbreakers. In 2003, the story was made into a soap opera by MBC.

"Daughters of Pharmacist Kim" also inspired film and TV adaptations. This family drama is about a pharmacist and his four very different daughters, slightly reminiscent of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women."

The 1963 movie version stars a youthful Um Aeng-ran ― one of Korea's most esteemed actresses _ as the second daughter, an intelligent, modern college student. In 2005, MBC brought it back as a daily morning TV series.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/05/244_23644.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-5-2008 09:30 PM | Show all posts
May 5, 2008

Kyung-ni Dies at 82

By Chung Ah-young
Staff Reporter

Park Kyung-ni

Veteran novelist Park Kyung-ni, renowned for her masterpiece, "Land" (Toji), died from lung cancer in a Seoul hospital, Monday. She was 82.

Park, one of the most revered authors in Korea, had been in a coma since she suffered a stroke on April 4.

The right side of her body was paralyzed and she was receiving medical treatment at Asan Medical Center in Seoul, according to the Toji Culture Center.

She was diagnosed with lung cancer last July but refused to be treated. Since then, Park had been staying at the cultural center in Wonju, Gangwon Province, where her home was also located. She had also been suffering from diabetes and high blood pressure before the stroke.

"Land," a 16-volume novel took 25 years to write and _ based around 300 characters _depicts the turbulence at the turn of the 20th century when the Korean people were struggling against Japanese imperialism.

The novel has significant literary artistry in style, native folk language and diverse character portrayals, depicting Korea's eventful and sadness-ridden modern history through the love of vast "Mother Earth."

Park was born in 1926 in Tongyeong, South Gyeongsang Province. She graduated from Jinju Girls' High School in 1946 and married her husband, Kim Haeng-do, who went missing during the Korean War. Park also lost her baby son right after the war.

Living with her daughter, KimYoung-ju, the head of the Toji Culture Center, she began her writing career with the publication of two short stories, "Calculations" (Gyesan, 1955) and "Black is Black, White is White" (Heuk heuk baek baek, 1956).

Park won numerous literary prizes, including the Woltan Literature Award, for "Land."

She recently published three new poems in the April issue of the literary magazine, "Hyundae Munhak" (Contemporary Literature), her first work in eight years.

The cultural center was established in 1999 on the spot of her home in Wonju, where she wrote from 1980 to 1997.

Kim Ji-ha, the renowned poet, is her son-in-law.

Memorial services will be held in the Asan Medical Center for five days.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism posthumously awarded the late Park the Geumgwan Order of Culture Merit, the highest artistic recognition, for her contribution to Korean literature.

Credits: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/05/121_23671.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-5-2008 09:41 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa at soompi.com for the highlight

May 5, 2008

Korean Wave 'Hallyu' Abroad Waning

By Kim Sue-young
Staff Reporter

Japanese tourists look at souvenirs printed with photos of actor Bae Yong-joon, who starred in 揥inter Sonata,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-5-2008 10:25 PM | Show all posts
May 5, 2008

L'Arc~en~Ciel Shares Secret to Success

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia
Staff Reporter

Japanese rock stars L'Arc~en~Ciel promises a thrilling concert on May 17
at the Olympic Gym, Olympic Park, Seoul. / Courtesy of SonyBMG

Popular Japanese rock band L'Arc~en~Ciel is celebrating their 17th year anniversary this year, with a world tour that brings them back to Seoul on May 17.

Seventeen years after they were formed in Osaka, L'Arc~en~Ciel continues to thrill audience with their evolving rock music and exciting live performances.

The Korea Times recently conducted an e-mail interview with L'Arc~en~Ciel, composed of vocalist and guitarist hyde, bassist tetsu, guitarist ken and drummer yukihiro.

Four-Member Japanese Rock
Band to Visit Seoul May 17

L'Arc~en~Ciel may look like intense rock stars on stage, but members show their humorous side as they talk about their current world tour, what they love about Korean fans and why they think wearing no underwear is the secret to their success.

The Korea Times: When L'Arc~en~Ciel was formed (in 1991), did you ever predict it will become one of the most successful bands in and out of Japan?

tetsu: We never could have predicted we would be successful outside of Japan. However, we knew we would not only stay in Japan. Our wish to gain as many fans as possible has brought us worldwide fame.

Q: Each member of L'Arc~en~Ciel has their own solo projects. After doing solo activities, how is it possible for the band to continue making great music again?

hyde: After our solo activities, we were able to broaden our scope of music. I believe that is what makes L'Arc~en~Ciel. It is all four of us making music. That is why we don't get bored. Sometimes we get bored with current music out there. The music sounds the same. In that sense, fans might think of us as the likable band that is never boring.

Q: This will be your third concert in Seoul. What do you think about the Korean audience?

ken: There were things that I felt after the two concerts (in Seoul). We participated in a rock festival with many other bands. We were there as a headliner but the audiences remembered the lyrics of our songs and were singing along. And I thought ``Wow, this is good!'' Now, we are thinking: ``Will we be able to hear bigger shouts this time?''

Q: Is there any difference in your concerts when you're playing in Japan and in Korea?

ken: We get a little more anxious in Korea, because we want to show our Korean fans what's good about us.

Q: Could you please tell us about ``TOUR 2008 L'7~Trans ASIA via PARIS~'' which covers Shanghai, Taiwan, Paris, Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Osaka?

hyde: This time, we get to play in places we always dreamed about playing at. And we are going to be in Paris where our name came from. I wish I could pronounce L'Arc~en~Ciel properly.

tetsu: Whether it is going to be Paris or Asia, we do need a great deal of preparation for overseas gigs. In order to realize the tour, it takes years to plan in advance.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-5-2008 01:12 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to highlight by kdramafanusa at soompi.com

"Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" (referred to as Indiana Jones 4) will be released on May 22.
"Kang Cheol Jung" will open on June 19.

April 30, 2008

Big Movies Releases in June-August

June: Director Kang Woo-seok -- 'Kang Cheol Jung: Public Enemy 1-1"

July: 'The Good The Bad The Weird' , 'Someone Dear Is Far Away', 'Eye For An Eye'

'Nimeun Meon Gose / Someone Dear Is Far Away': from "The King & The Clown" director Lee Joon-ik; opens on July 24
'An Eye For An Eye': Han Seok-gyu & Cha Seung-won; late July

August: 'Shingijeon'

[source: JoongAng Daily] Another promising blockbuster is "Shingijeon", directed by Kim Yoo-jin.

This 10 billion won movie is also a period piece. It goes back much further than the movies mentioned above. It's set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392 to 1910). Shingijeon is the name of a weapon that King Sejong, the creator of Hangul, the Korean alphabet, ordered his scientists to develop in the 15th century. The rocket-propelled weapon fires multiple arrows carrying small bombs over a great range. The production team made the now-defunct weapon using authentic designs from history books. The movie is filled with epic battle sequences between secret agents assigned to protect the development of this weapon of mass destruction. The Chinese do not want the weapon to be developed. Possible parallels with the world today and the problem of the proliferation of nuclear weapons? Ahn Seong-gi plays King Sejong, and Jeong Jae-yeong plays Seol-ju, who falls in love with the daughter of one of the key scientists working on the weapon. Seol-ju has to protect his love interest from a gang of Chinese agents determined to stop the Koreans and their arms industry.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-5-2008 03:22 PM | Show all posts
May 6, 2008

9th Jeonju International Film Festival Kicks Off

The 9th annual Jeongju International Film Festival kicked off its nine-day run with an opening ceremony on May 1. Once again this year, the film festival has invited independent films from all around the world.

Actors Ahn Sung-ki and Choi Jung-won hosted the opening ceremony, which was attended by 2,000 guests and visitors. Song Ha-jin, the chairman of the organizing committee, declared the opening of this year's film festival and Min Byeong-rok, the chief of the organization, delivered a congratulatory speech.

Ahead of the opening ceremony, Culture, Sports and Tourism Minister Yoo In-chon, head of the United Democratic Party Son Hak-kyu, U.S. Ambassador to Korea Alexander Vershbow, film directors Lim Kwon-taek and Lee Myung-se, actors Jeon Do-yeong and Park Hae-il and other celebrities and dignitaries greeted the local and foreign press members as well as their fans on the red carpet.

This year's film festival will screen 1,204 films, the largest number in the history of the film festival. The name of the "Indivision" category has been changed to "International Competition" to emphasize the "competitive" element, while a brand new category entitled "Work in Progess" has also been introduced to draw attention to independent films around the world.

Throughout the festival, a photo exhibition will feature some 84 photographs of internationally-renowned "Magnum" photographers.

Source: KBS Global
http://english.kbs.co.kr/mcontents/entertainment/1522422_11692.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 6-5-2008 05:58 PM | Show all posts
May 4, 2008

Celebrity Hiking Club to Visit Nepal

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

Singer Lee Moon-sae

Famous singer Lee Moon-sae is heading to Nepal with the "Seollebal Mountain Club" on May 15 to carry out volunteer work and help reconstruct a school there.

"Seollebal Mountain Club" is a mountain-hiking club led by Lee and is comprised of celebrities and other cultural figures who enjoy climbing mountains and traveling.

The 49-year-old singer will be joined by actor Park Sang-won, actress Lee Tae-ran, film director Han Ji-seung, and musical star Kim Chang-jun.

Despite their tight schedules, the 17 members will attend a ceremony on May 8 in Seoul and depart for Nepal on May 15.

The club will spend a week at Nalang village, a small village of 2,000 people and a five-hour trip from Nepal's capital Katmandu. At Nalang, they will help transform the 40-year-old school for 300 students into a sturdy cement building, complete with modern bathrooms, school supplies and even new school uniforms.

"Nepal is a place where I felt embarrassed by my material wealth and envied the purity of the Nepali people. If we can improve their poor educational environment and give them hope, this will indeed be a priceless journey," Lee was quoted as saying by Yonhap News.

The members will also offer lectures on their expertise. Lee Moon-sae will teach music while Park Sang-won, an avid photographer, will teach how to take pictures. Other members will also join in and teach art, dance and other activities.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2008/05/139_23630.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-5-2008 06:00 PM | Show all posts
May 6, 2008

Cheering on TVXQ!

Korean top boy band TVXQ performs an encore for their fans during their arena tour 揟VXQ 3rd Live Tour 2008-T

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-5-2008 09:15 PM | Show all posts
May 4, 2008

Movie Theater Attendance Heads for Downturn

By Jane Han
Staff Reporter

The Los Angeles Times reported last week that movie theater attendances in the U.S. goes up during an economic slowdown, as more people spend money on the relatively low-cost entertainment. Here, however, the film industry doesn't seem to enjoy the same trend.

"It's actually the opposite," said Lim Ki-tae of the Korea Film Council, a local film promoting body, as he reflected back on 2003, when the country slipped into recession. "The movie industry also experienced a slowdown."

Council data showed that the film industry's growth rate dipped from 20.8 percent in 2002 to 13.3 percent in 2003. The number of annual moviegoers also slipped about 5 percent nationwide.

The negative growth is now repeating itself, as the domestic economy enters another slump. A March report released by CJ CGV, the largest local multiplex chain, indicated that February's movie attendance hit a record low of approximately 13.2 million, since the previous slump to 9.73 million in 2003.

The drop continued in the following month, as CGV's April report showed that the total number of moviegoers in March plunged another 23 percent compared to February.

"There's been a myth that movie sales grow strong through economic woes, but actual figures tell us differently," said Lim, adding that Koreans may not be turning to indoor entertainment as much as Americans do.

The U.S. daily said Americans' theater attendance increased during three of the last four recessions, adding that Hollywood is expecting another boom this year.

One reason why the two markets may be dissimilar is the difference in age groups of the moviegoers.

While ages 40-59 take up the biggest percentage (32 percent) of theatergoers in the U.S., according to the Motion Picture Association of America's 2007 data, early 20s take up the largest chunk here.

"The money squeeze and tougher job market affects younger people more than the older, which forces them to focus on their living," said Lim.

Another obvious reason behind the sluggish market is mediocre quality. There's hasn't been an eye-opener up to par with the impressive past releases of "Shiri" and "King and the Clown,' says experts.

"Regardless of the economic trend and any other external factor, if the movie is worth it, viewers will spend the money," said film critic Lisa Kim.

Credits: jhan@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2008/05/123_23622.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-5-2008 01:38 AM | Show all posts
Thanks to the highlight by kdramafanusa at soompi.com

May 6, 2008

[MOVIE REVIEW] 'Unforgettable' portrays inspiring journey from island to big city

On a remote island in South Jeolla Province, a dozen students share a single classroom. Deprived of modern technology, they hardly know the difference between a bicycle and a pair of glasses. As they see it, both have two circles, and that's that.

"Unforgettable (Seoul-i boinya)," directed by debut filmmaker Song Dong-yun, brings back memories of pre-modern Korea when islanders used to get by with a handful of basic tools, and rarely got out of their hometown.

Director Song, fortunately, has not fallen into the trap of stirring up romantic nostalgia. Instead, he employs a story-within-a-story structure, focusing on timeless educational issues such as what makes a good teacher and what is really needed for adventure-seeking students.

▲Unforgettable

In the movie which will be released on Thursday, Gil-su (played by Lee Chang-hoon) is a dedicated teacher who wants to take his students on a field trip during the upcoming summer vacation. But his desire to offer students the rare chance to get out of the city and into nature invites only a reproachful glare from the principal, who claims that parents wouldn't let their "busy" kids go on a field trip.

The summer vacation starts -- without a field trip -- and Gil-su goes back to his hometown of Sindo, a small island where he lived and learned along with his friends.

Back then, Gil-su (played by Yoo Seung-ho) was a reserved, thoughtful and love-hungry kid who took care of his kid sister, Young-mi (Kim Yu-jeong), especially when their drunkard father lost his temper. Gil-su deeply missed his mom, who got fed up with the island life and left the family several years before to find a new life in Seoul.

His only consolation was to dream about her at night. And his sister envied his ability to conjure up their mother's image in dreams, as she has no memory of her mother.

A positive sign came when their teacher Eun-young (Oh Su-a) received a letter from a cookie factory in Seoul. Earlier, she asked for permission to visit the place as part of a field trip itinerary, and the factory said it would be happy to welcome the students.

Eun-young, however, faced a harsh reality which parallels what Gil-su experiences in the present tense of the movie. While Gil-su fails to persuade the domineering parents to allow their kids to explore nature for a day, Eun-young found it extremely difficult to persuade his fellow islanders to send off their kids to the big city. In both cases, the teachers want their students to experience new things in a very different setting, but the parents see no merit to the plan.

Islanders, in particular, seem to be fearful of the possibility that, once exposed to the city and its radically different lifestyle, their children might not come back to the small island again, as happened with many of their old acquaintances who left for a fresh life in Seoul.

Eun-young's efforts were eventually rewarded, but an embarrassing development unfolded in Seoul when she went on a much-anticipated field trip with her students who were dying to try out such alluring modern contraptions as the bicycle, though they're clueless about the pernicious complexity of the city itself.

The 87-minute-long film takes its time building dramatic tension and developing likable characters; there is a pensive mood here that is lacking in many mainstream movies. Evocative close-ups also capture the preciousness of innocent friends, caring teachers and loving parents -- thing thats should be unforgettable even in the postmodern era when a simple bicycle inspires almost nobody.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

Source:
The Korea Herald

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-3-2024 04:00 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.596792 second(s), 41 queries .