Use magic Report

Post time 7-12-2006 12:21 PM | Show all posts
My  sister's keeper - jody picoult

the best book i've read this year.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 6-1-2007 01:37 PM | Show all posts
try baca any books by john grisham, any harry potter's books,  sophie kinsella, Dan brown, Tom clancy (cerita spy) and peter archer.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 15-1-2007 01:43 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Arianna_Muchtar at 21-11-2004 12:49 PM
Buku English yg Anna bacer ..

Harry Potter Series : Sesuai kalau nak bacakan utk adik2
Novel Judith McNaugh & Danielle Steel : Romance lor..hik hik :lol
The Star Newspaper : Banyak arti ...

harry potter series ni tak jemu baca...gucci boleh baca ulang2...masa kena warded b4 bersalin mesti ada buku ni untuk baca...masa dalam pantang pun dok ulang buku-buku ni....ni tengah tunggu the last book of harry potter kluar...bila ek?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 27-3-2007 06:59 PM | Show all posts
Rani Manicka - The Rice Mother...layan le jugerr...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 28-3-2007 08:08 AM | Show all posts

Reply #110 seribulan's post

cite pasal ape eh?

i really need to stock up my books at home, kang pantang lama ni boring seh

Use magic Report

Post time 6-4-2007 01:16 PM | Show all posts
Since this is in Criticlal Reading section I suppose the following books, to name a few, would be in order:

1. The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Publisher : Random House

In the light of conspiratory theorists' claim about HIV being initiated in the lab and possibility of many new types of cancer deluging the world population in future (may have even started!), this book may give you some idea of the danger. It is purported to be a terrifying true story .

2. Big Bang by Simon Singh. Publisher : Harper Perennial.

Dan Brown's fans may want to upgrade their knowledge by reading this book. I am yet to finish it.........:cool:

3. Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies by Abbe J A Dubois. Publisher : Rupa & Co

Book was translated from French to English by  Henry K Beauchamp. My best buy in 2006 from a clearence sale. Gives a good insight into the subject. I bought it when I was into the subject of the Caste System. Beware there  are 819 in all excluding index. I just feel that a good book should have an index.

4.  Being Indian by Pavan K Varma. Publisher : Penguin

An insightful analysis of the Indian personality and the culture that created it. Sort of complements the above book(3)

5. Islam, Knowledge and Other Affairs by Mahathir Mohamad. Publisher : MPH

Need I say more about the writer? The book is a collection of his speeches, with cautions to the Third World about uncontrolled globalisation. For some time I've a thing ot two about globalisation and at a seminar some years ago, I was the only one who spoke out about my reservation on the subject. So, I just had to have this book......!

6. Malaysia And The Club of..... Doom (Collapse of the Islamic Countries) by Syed Akbar Ali. Publisher: Syed Akhbar Ali.

Communicates his candid opinion and findings on related issues such as the failed states etc. I am yet to finish it.

[ Last edited by  hamizao at 6-4-2007 05:27 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

titus_pullo This user has been deleted
Post time 31-5-2007 03:56 AM | Show all posts

Good novels regarding Ancient Rome

Can anyone suggest to me good book/authours regarding ancient rome, either republican era or imperial, besides Simon Scarrow and the Eagle series of course (got'em all)

Prefer historical novels (don't suggest Tacitus or Cassius Dio )

Use magic Report

Post time 31-5-2007 07:00 PM | Show all posts
hmm

the incident of the dog in tne nighttime?
tak ingat betul ke tak tajuk tu, and nama author dah lupe.
cerita from budak autistic point of view.
ke dah ada orang mention buku ni?

michael crichton sedap gak layan bunyi cerita detail n logic je walaupun merepek sebenarnye..tapi suka sebab ade gak responsibilty letak reference tengok mana dia dapat idea..banyak betol...barulah tau susah nak jadi penulis buku...

maafle kalau ade orang dah mention tapi aku malas nak baca satu2 post dulu tapi aku rekemen jurassic park n the great train robbery kalau tak baca lagi..sebab aku suka

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-6-2007 12:50 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1 titus_pullo's post

moved kat atas...

Use magic Report

Post time 8-7-2007 11:46 AM | Show all posts
hmm..燼ku nak rekomen

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 9-7-2007 10:00 AM | Show all posts

Reply #79 DanaScully's post

danascully,

aku buku niel gaiman ni menyeramkan laa... seriau je baca walaupun buku fantasi budak2.. mungkin sebab orang jahat dia tu terlalu ugly kot...

wa pernah baca coraline, tak tidur malam haku dibuatnya

Use magic Report

Post time 10-7-2007 11:59 AM | Show all posts
lately i have a fettish for travel books...
travel books ni mcm memoirs pun ada, mcm autobiography pun ada gaks.
but in conclusion, i more likely to read books that reflect the writers themselves. so my recommendation for this genre would be:

1. V.S Naipaul...Beyond Belief
   ~ he elaborates about the expansion of religion and its locality within Asia countries, including Malaysia. its a good read.

2. Paul Theroux...The Stranger at Plazzo D'oro (smthg like that, title dia panjang)
   ~ he is definitely a fave of mine, as this book explore his findings in Italy and a few rural surroundings. so u'll learn more about cultures and stuff like that.

3. Orhan Pamuk...Istanbul-A Memoir
   ~ just finish this book last week. rasa nak nangis because i realized that the falling of Ottoman Empire had give BIG impact in Islam world, then the westernization of Atartuk had put Turkey in a diversion of its people, it was a question of to stay secularized or westernized.

4. A Piano Tuner...Daniel Mason
   ~ a story about an English officer to Burma in early 1900s...it was a good read because it was simply mesmerizing!

5. any books by Amitav Ghosh on old Burma and Indian kingdoms
   ~ somehow this writer had a way to describe our lush and rich Asian culture and surrounding. i like his book Glass Palace. he describe the palace being one of the most beautiful palace, facing the gold temple in Rangoon. and some other detailed stuff that made u feel u have been there.  

that's all juicy goss i can share today.  

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2007 04:38 PM | Show all posts

Reply #81 redsinner's post

best tak paul theroux stranger at plazza tu? jumpa buku ni kat CM semalam terus pinjam.. skarang tengah boring tak tau nak baca apa, currently tengah baca snow falling on cedar... tapi buku tu slowlah..

.. selain buku tu semalam pun pinjam lisey's story by stephen king, hari ni gi kino beli confession of an old boy & stardust by neil gaiman..

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 18-7-2007 11:30 PM | Show all posts

Reply #82 periwinkle..'s post

buku theroux tu not too bad.
kalo u suke elaborative and detailed description okla sbb dia tend to make u nampak the whole scenario.
errr.....honestly dia ada sedikit 18SX....terkujat i sebentar sbb dia cite detail sgt.
tapi theroux is famous for travelling book. i just bought his another book yg dia travel ke polynesian island. will read, no time jer.

anyway, stephen king tu buku baru ke?  

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 19-7-2007 02:01 PM | Show all posts

Reply #83 redsinner's post

tengah in the middle of the book, finished the first one, stranger at the palazzo.. unique story, writing pun best, tak meleret.. tak dinafikan ada la part-part 18sx tu..   tapi dah expect jugak sbb dah baca summary kat amazon..

some excerpt..
The corruption of the flesh梑y age and by lust梚s the prevailing obsession of Theroux's story collection. In the title novella, a young American student meets an idle German countess at a Sicilian hotel; envying her aloofness, he lets himself be recruited as her lover and discovers in himself the seeds of brutality.

by the way, buku stephen king tu last year keluar, tapi baru this year ada paperback..

Use magic Report

Post time 20-7-2007 06:33 PM | Show all posts
i pun dah baca buku stranger at the palazzo - buku confession of an old boy pun dah terbaca satu chapter, dua-dua tak menepati citarasa i. Mungkin i suka baca love story with happy endings je kot like juliaquinn etc

http://www.juliaquinn.com/books/tree_big.htm

I have read
#1: The Duke and I
#2: The Viscount Who Loved Me
#3: An Offer from a Gentleman
#4: Romancing Mr. Bridgerton
#5: To Sir Phillip, With Love
#7: It's In His Kiss
#8: On the Way to the Wedding

Not read yet
#6: When He Was Wicked

Yang paling saya suka ialah #3.. ala-ala ever after + Cinderella + far far away

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 29-8-2007 07:08 AM | Show all posts

Reply #192 DanaScully's post

ian mcewan - atonement tu kalau mls baca tgk movie je nanti, james mc avoy& keira berlakon ...selalu kalau lps tgk movie baru semangat nak baca buku dia

Use magic Report

Post time 4-9-2007 09:41 PM | Show all posts
i recommend 'i know this much is true' by wally lamb. a real page-turner that one is! & also his other piece 'she's come undone'.

for light reading, i suggest get the books by sue townsend - the adrian mole series. they r hillarious!!! i couldnt help but laughed all the way till the end!

here's some info 'bt the author -
Sue Townsend, with The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-4-2024 10:14 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.354384 second(s), 43 queries .