ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2011

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 8-1-2011 12:01 AM | Show all posts
January 7, 2011

Bae's documentary on Korea eyes bigger audience
By Uliana Park ulianapark@gmail.com koreatimes.co.kr

Stills from Bae Yongjoon’s documentary on Korea are seen./ Courtesy of MBC Plus Media

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon’s book “A Journey in Search of Korea’s Beauty,” which was a huge hit reflecting Korean culture and traditions, has been made into a documentary. The program will be aired on MBC LIFE starting Jan. 8, every Saturday at 11 p.m. for eight weeks.

The documentary is divided into eight episodes, each tracing Bae’s journey to explore the country’s culture, art and traditions.

The program introduces pottery master Cheon Han-bong, hanbok (traditional Korean costume) designer Lee Hyo-jae and pansori (Korean traditional vocal and percussional music) master Yoon Jin-cheol. These virtuosos do more than just simply recount the details of their specific area of skill; all serve as guides, linking and exposing the world to the country’s true beauty hidden beneath the established practices.

In addition to portraying Bae and the specific route he took, several foreign dwellers have participated in the documentary. MBC LIFE producer Lee Jae-moon deemed this opportunity as a shortcut to arouse interest among other foreigners.

“Our plan was for the world to perceive Korea’s beauty through this program. Since most natives are already aware of the country’s underlying grace, we thought that portraying Korea through the eyes of a foreigner would enhance the ability for others to relate to the experience,” Lee said at a preview of the documentary Wednesday.

Despite its title as Bae Yong-joon’s documentary, Lee mentions that the star’s appearance and the primary photos he took makes up only about one third of the film. Although the producer is anticipating disappointment from Bae’s fans, he explained the reason behind his decision by clarifying his main objective which was to simply depict the Korean culture thoroughly presented in the book.

“I thought Bae had captured the precise essence of Korea’s nature. So I asked myself, ‘Wouldn’t making this into a documentary be a great way to raise awareness of our culture?’” he said. He did not want the focus to be on Bae, but rather, expected to lure a bigger audience through Bae’s contribution.

Moreover, many famed musicians have participated in the documentary’s soundtrack. This includes Kim Joon-seok, music director of the 2008 movie “A Frozen Flower,” female R&B group Big Mama, soloist Lee Ki-chan, girl group Rainbow and music director of the phenomenal drama “Sungkyunkwan Scandal.” (2010) Park Sung-il. With their help, Lee hopes to not only tell the world about Korean culture but also of the nation’s talented singers and actors.

Producer Lee aims to make the program a cultural inspiration for all. Up until now, only individual celebrities have been globally recognized. Lee strives to surmount that principle. “It’s time our Korean culture shone with dignity,” he said.

Uliana Park is a Korea Times intern. She can be reached at ulianapark@gmail.com.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 9-1-2011 12:32 AM | Show all posts
January 6, 2011

Korean Movies: “HaHaHa” Chosen as One of Most Notable Asian Films of 2010
Posted by KOCCA

In The Wall Street Journal’s Scene Asia, Dean Napolitano wrote about the Asian movie industry in 2010 and listed his 10 picks as the most important and notable Asian feature films of the year.

Korea is represented by director Hong Sang-soo’s “HaHaHa”, which is described in Scene Asia as a “wry comedy about two friends – a film director and a movie critic – who reminisce about their intertwining lives and relationships”.

Last May, “HaHaHa” was the recipient of the Cannes Film Festival’s top prize in Un Certain Regard and was also presented to acclaim in the World Cinema section at the AFI Film Festival in Los Angeles in November. In the latter event’s program, Landon Zakheim wrote: “Delicately sculpting a potent swirl of chance encounters, nostalgia, heartbreak and grace with composed irreverence, Hong (Sang-soo) delivers his most sincere work yet.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-1-2011 01:45 PM | Show all posts
January 7, 2011

Find The Hidden Jokes & Puns In Korean Dramas
Source: KBS Global l news.nate.com

These days, there's more to drama watching then drooling over the good looking characters and getting immersed into the intricate plots. There's now the fun of looking for the hidden messages or puns that the writers and directors are throwing into the mix. Drama viewers have been enjoying the art of deciphering these hidden codes. All in all, it's been creating a closer relationship between the viewers and the creative minds behind each project: directors, writers, producers, and of course the actors.

For example, in the new drama starring Kim Tae-hee and Song Seung-heon called "My Princess", Kim's character's mother runs a vacation home rental service. The reservation list shown on the show was made up of the names Lee Byung-hyun, Kim Rae-uhn, and Yang Dong-goon. The three names are coincidentally strikingly similar to the three male actors that Kim acted together with in the past: Lee Byung-heon (drama "IRIS"), Kim Rae-won (drama "Love Story In Harvard"), and Yang Dong-geun (movie "Grand Prix").

In the drama "Secret Garden" starring Ha Ji-won and Hyunbin, there was another subtle joke slipped into the story. When the camera flashed onto Ha's character, Gil Ri-am's, resume, viewers saw her name spelt with the corresponding Chinese characters. The character for "ri" stood for "the removal of clothes" and the one for "am" stood for "the thought of". Put that together, Ha's character's name literally means "to think about taking off clothes". "Secret Garden" writers took the joke further by adding a line where Hyunbin's character asks Gil Ra-im, "What on earth do you think about that makes your hair grow so fast". This is in line with the belief that thinking of sexual or racy thoughts causes one's hair to grow faster.

Another amusing quirk was that the Caucasian actor playing Gil Ra-im's director, Lian Jackson, in "Secret Garden" was the same actor who was seen taking a picture with Kim Tae-hee's character in "My Princess". Drama viewers commented in jest, "I'm disappointed in Director Jackson. You just blew Ra-im off after five minutes saying you were busy, but you went to take pictures with Kim Tae-hee"

Another example of an unexpected laugh given through "Secret Garden" revolved around the actors Hyunbin and Yoon Sang-hyun. Yoon's character had a list of people that he needed to apologize to for behaving rudely to in the past. The name Kim Tae-pyeong was included on the list which just so happens to be Hyunbin's real name. Also, there was a line when Hyunbin's character asks Yoon's womanizer character, "You were with Chun Ji-ae huh". Chun Ji-ae is the same name as actress Kim Nam-joo's character in the popular drama "Queen Of Housewives"... which Yoon also starred in.

The list goes on. In the drama "Queen Of Reversals", the character Mi-shil from the recent drama "Queen Seondeok" and "Pal-bong Bakery" from the recent hit "Baker King Kim Tak-gu" are both incorporated into the story. Another very popular drama from 2010, "Chuno" showed a lighter side when the names of popular celebrities -- Lee Byung-heon, Yoo Jae-seok and Park Myung-soo -- were written in Chinese characters on an official document used in the scenes.

It seems that this game of drama "treasure" hunting with the viewers is only getting more and more popular. It only adds to the anticipation of waiting for next week's episode after every cliffhanging ending!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-1-2011 06:46 PM | Show all posts
January 10, 2011

Stuntman-turned-actor spills the beans on real ‘Secret Garden’
By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Kwon tells about life of stunt performers

Less than a week remains until the final episode of SBS’ smash hit series “Secret Garden” airs.

For the past 18 episodes, the weekend drama has amassed a broad fan base and more buzz than it can handle. Everything from the sequin encrusted track suits worn by heartthrob Hyun Bin’s winsome hero to co-star Ha Ji-won’s enthralling portrayal of stuntwoman Gil Ra-im has received extensive coverage. Actress Ha’s character, in particular, has piqued interest in the daredevil vocation and in the action school where “Secret Garden” is being filmed.

Yet, just how accurate is the popular drama’s depiction of a stunt performer’s career?

According to stunt actor-turned-thespian Kwon Moon-cheol, certain aspects, namely when Gil endured the diva behavior of the actress whose stunt double she played, have been “somewhat exaggerated.” “In reality, it is not like that,” Kwon said in an interview with The Korea Herald. “If an actor or actress actually treated a stunt double like that, they would be ruining their reputations and who would risk that? In fact, stunt doubles help perfect an awesome scene, so instead they would like them more.”

An SBS representative acknowledged that the stunt profession does, in a small sense, act as a vehicle for the plot, but that there was no intent to belittle anyone.

“It is not real,” the representative said over the phone. “It is more or less fantasy.” “We feel optimistic about the increased interest in stuntwomen,” the representative continued. “We would, however, like the drama to be seen as just that, a drama.”

“Secret Garden” action co-director Kim Min-soo, however, believes that “the drama is about 99 percent in sync” with what real life as an action actor or actress is like.

Clad in a pair of “Secret Garden”-inspired sequin-striped gym pants, stuntman-turned-actor Kwon Moon-cheol a.k.a.
Kwon Hyeok showcases the moves that earned him a series of action stints, including one as Jung Woosung’s stunt double
in “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” (Kim Myung-sub/ The Korea Herald)

Regarding the series’ portrayal of the action school, Kwon ― who attended the institute where “Secret Garden” is being filmed ― says that it is even more hierarchical in real life.

Kwon’s own experiences shed light on what he meant. “I have only considered quitting once,” he said. “It was when I was the youngest one in my action school class.” According to Kwon, he was supposed to be ready to go and film at 8 a.m. but he was late. “I was so scared,” he recalled when he got a phone call at 8:10 a.m. telling him to come out. “I thought, ‘I’m dead meat. I should quit now.’ When I got there, no one scolded me, but I still wanted to die.”

With regard to the actual number of stuntwomen in the profession, Kwon said that they are few and far between, and that his class only had one female student, which is similar, indeed, to “Secret Garden,” where Gil is the only girl in a group full of guys. “I don’t feel like the drama is fake or anything,” the 26-year-old clarified of his take on the series. “I just think it is fun to watch, and when they use stunt jargon, I can really relate to it.”

Kwon, in fact, may relate to the series’ heroine even more than he lets on.

As a kid who grew up adoring Jackie Chan, the Busan native learned wushu ― the Chinese martial art practiced by Chan and other famed action stars like Jet Li ― while dreaming of following in his hero’s footsteps.

When Kwon heard about the Seoul Action School ― the academy headed by famed action director-and-actor Jung Du-hong ― he packed his bags, pocketed what little money he had (a mere 200,000 won) and headed to Seoul. After enrolling in the school, he attended classes, worked part-time, and lived in a small one-room space until he could afford to move to a rooftop room, a living arrangement that recalls Gil Ra-im’s own fictional abode.

According to “Action Boys” (2008) ― a documentary about stunt performers ― though Kwon was the youngest to pass auditions for his class, he scored the highest.

Footage from the documentary showed the fledging actor executing a series of back flips with fluid ease, a mere preview of the skills that would land him a series of stints including one in KBS’ historical drama “Immortal Admiral Yi Sun Shin” (2004).

An appearance on the SBS variety show “Starking,” which highlighted his role as “ATHENA” actor Jung Woo-sung’s stunt double in the action flick “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” (2008), earned him a great deal of publicity.

Stunt work, however, is far from glamorous, according to Kwon, who lists physical stamina and mental strength as two key assets for becoming an action actor. “You could be filming all day in a river in December,” he elaborated. “You can’t even imagine what that’s like.”

Kwon, who had his own brush with death while filming a horse-stunt scene, says that despite all that he does not feel scared when performing stunts. “Stunts are very scientific and calculated,” he said. Wary to discuss concrete figures for salaries, Kwon said, “Stunts are very dangerous and potentially life threatening so the pay is not low.”

Kwon also said that there is always plenty of work in a variety of mediums including commercials, dramas and movies. “Even daily soaps have action scenes,” he said. In case a fellow stunt performer got injured and could not work, Kwon says he and his colleagues pooled a certain percentage of their wages together to create an emergency fund. “Then we could give it to whoever got injured,” he explained.

Though Kwon has transitioned into the world of acting under the moniker Kwon Hyeok, his last two roles ― one in the OCN cable drama “The Detective Jung Yack-yong” (2009-2010) and the other as a lead in E channel’s current cable series “Secret House Ang Sim Jung” ― included and includes action. “He has a lot of action scenes,” “Secret House Ang Sim Jung” producer Lee Ju-ha said over the phone. “While there is a separate action director, Kwon choreographs his own stunts.”

While Kwon is open to non-action roles, he seems to have no intention of abandoning the diverse array of action-related skills he has accumulated over the years.

Still holding onto his childhood dreams, Kwon believes that he can forge a career for himself as an action-and-acting double threat. “I want to be like Jackie Chan,” the ambitious actor said, still holding up the stuntman-turned-acting and directing impresario as his source of inspiration.

Not one to be daunted by a domestic industry that has yet to produce someone like the internationally-famed Chan, Jet Li or Bruce Lee, Kwon leaned forward, repeating his dreams in earnest: “I believe I can be like him.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-1-2011 06:49 PM | Show all posts
January 10, 2011

Kusanagi translates Korean book series in Japanese
By Chung Ah-young chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

Tsuyoshi Kusanagi

Tsuyoshi Kusanagi, a member of popular Japanese band SMAP, will publish a Korean book series in Japanese next month.

A major sports newspaper there reported that the 36-year-old, better known “Chonan Gang”in Korea due to his fluency in Korean, has completed his first translation of the book series “Yeontangil” (The Briquette Path) written by Lee Chul-hwan.

The Japanese version titled "Tsuki no Machi, Yama no Machi”will be released on Feb. 4.

The original series comprising seven volumes about people living in shanty towns are best-sellers with 3.6 million copies being sold since their first publication in 2000 in Korea.

Kusanagi had been requested to translate the works by the Japanese publisher Wani Books in 2003 and accepted it for its warm-hearted stories despite his hectic schedule.

He selected 29 short stories from the originals and translated them over one year from last spring. “I am very happy to see my work bearing fruit. They are very good stories which are heart-warming and filled with love and happiness. It might be different from the way Japanese feel and think in expression and use of language, but that is one of the reasons I was fascinated by Korea,”he was quoted as saying.

Also, he said that he learned many things from the translation process and wants to continue with works related to Korea.
Before his translation debut, he published a couple of Korean books, which were widely bought by readers.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-1-2011 11:57 PM | Show all posts
January 7, 2011

Stars donate 8.3 mil. won in charity auction of possessions
By Park Yeon-kyung koreatimes.co.kr

Seoul City said Tuesday that it donated 8.33 million won of proceeds from a charity auction of stars’ possessions to the needy.

A pair of wool boots donated by Goo Hara, 20, a member of popular five-member idol group Kara, sold for 840,000 won, the highest among the belongings stars put up for auction at the hope-sharing campaign jointly conducted by Web portal Nate last October.

A city spokesman said a total of 25 celebrities, including actress Han Ji-min, and actor and Seoul City goodwill ambassador Jang Geun-seok, cellist Chung Myung-wha, and singer Yoon Soo-il, participated in the event.

A stroller from the couple composer Joo Young-hoon and actress Lee Yoon-mee sold for 610,000 won; an MP3 player from Yoo Ji-tae for 580,000 won and singer Kang Ji-young of Kara, for 490,000 won and that book Mayor Oh Se-hoon signed for 151,000 won. A total of 841 citizens took part in the hope-sharing charity auction.

The city has been offering another event at which Nate will donate 100 won per encouraging comment netizens are putting on the campaign homepage of dream.nate.com.

Meanwhile, the city has also arranged a talent donation section in the charity campaign, where netizens with talent could be linked to individuals and groups hoping to get their talent, such as mentoring, baby-sitting, pleasing senior citizens with chatting, singing for the elderly at nursing homes.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 11-1-2011 12:38 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Bae Yong-joon's Photo Essay Nominated for Book of the Year in China
Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Korean actor Bae Yong-joon's book "A Journey in Search of Korea's Beauty" has been nominated as one of the best literary works of 2010 by China News, one of the largest newspapers in China.

Each year the paper selects the best books in the categories of culture, social science, history, business, and arts and lifestyle. Each judge on the panel consisting of industry experts and publishers chooses three books out of 10 nominees in each category before the final five books of the year are selected.

The Chinese version of Bae's photo essay, which was published there last September, was nominated in the lifestyle category and is the first Korean publication to make it onto the list in seven years. This year's list of nominees also includes Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami's bestseller "IQ84."

The Korean edition of Bae's book became an instant bestseller and went into a 13th impression just a month after its launch in September 2009. The book has also been published in Japanese and Taiwanese, and in English last month.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 12:38 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Min Hyo-rin Picked to Promote Pyeongchang Ski Jumping Continental Cup

Actress Min Hyo-rin has been appointed the promotional ambassador for the 2011 Pyeongchang Ski Jumping FIS Continental Cup.

Taking place Wednesday and Thursday, the Cup is the first international winter sports event of the year and will show off Pyeongchang's facilities as the city awaits the International Olympic Committee's selection in July of the host city of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Min starred as a figure skater in the MBC TV series "Triple" in 2009.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 01:41 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Actor Yeo Wook-hwan Apologizes For Drunken Hit & Run Accident
Source: KBS Global

Actor Yeo Wook-hwan issued an official apology through his management company's, Sidus HQ's, official website on January 11th, regarding his drunken hit and run accident. Yeo had run into a car in the middle of Shinsa-dong Intersection in Gangnam-gu of Seoul on the night of January 10th. He was booked without detention for fleeing the scene while also having a blood alcohol level of 0.172%.

On his January 11th posting, Yeo stated, "Hello, this is Yeo Wook-hwan. I'm sorry and again so sorry about showing a not so good side of me. I can't even lift my head because I'm ashamed of disappointing so many people with my immature behavior. I will reflect upon and repent continuously for failing to be a mature adult. I will deeply engrave into my heart everyone's words of rebuke that I received and punish myself so that I don't show such lacking behavior again. I know that I have no explanation or excuse and have nothing else to say other than that I'm so sorry and regretful. From now on, I will live earnestly with a heart of self-examination and self-reflection. Once again, I want to bow my head and give everyone an apology."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 04:32 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Choi Ji Woo to Make Guest Appearance in Japanese Drama
Source: KBS Global

Hallyu star actress Choi Ji Woo will appear in a Japanese TV drama after a five-year break. Major entertainment newspapers including Nikkan Sports reported on January 9 that the star actress Choi Ji Woo would make a guest appearance in TBS’s new drama “Winter Cherry Blossoms,” in which a member of the star group SMAP, Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, would appear as the protagonist. The two star actors had seen each other when they had appeared on the famous entertainment program “SMAP×SMAP” together, but it will be the first time that these two actors will work together in a drama.

Choi will appear in a Japanese drama after a five-year break since her appearance in the drama “Rondo.”

Choi will appear in a Japanese TV drama after a five-year break since her appearance in TBS’s drama “Rondo” in 2006. Choi Ji Woo reportedly willingly decided to appear in the drama because the actor Kusanagi Tsuyoshi would play the protagonist, and she read the entire script in Japanese. She said, “I felt nervous because I had to act while speaking in Japanese in front the camera after a long break.” Actor Kusanagi Tsuyoshi said, “I was happy to act together with Choi Ji Woo. I will also willingly appear in her drama in Korea.”

The drama “Winter Cherry Blossoms,” which will begin airing from January 16 every Sunday night at 9:00 pm on TBS, is about a love story between a man named Inaba Yu (Kusanagi Tsuyoshi), who HAS NEVER BEEN in love before, and a woman named Ishikawa Monami (Imai Miki), who has lost her memory because of an accident. Choi Ji Woo will appear from the first to the third episode by playing a woman whom the actor Kusanagi Tsuyoshi meets by chance.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 10:38 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

(Yonhap Interview)
'Oldboy' auteur Park sees iPhone opening up choices for filmmakers

By Lee Youkyung ylee@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

SEOUL, Jan. 11 (Yonhap) -- A new movie by internationally acclaimed director Park Chan-wook will likely stir up a buzz about how he shot entire scenes with a novel cinematic medium: the iPhone.

"It was a new experience, compared with making a meticulously planned movie. Even a casual and spontaneous shot delivered a surprise," Park said in an interview with Yonhap News Agency after a press preview of "Night Fishing" (Paranmanjang) in Seoul. "It felt like there were more choices."

Park's latest short film, which means "a life full of ups and downs" in Korean, follows a story of a middle-aged man who catches a woman from a river while fishing at night.

Horrified, the man tries to flee, only to get entangled in his fishing lines and the woman until he passes out. When he wakes up, the man finds himself clad in the woman's dress, while she is wearing his clothes. The woman, who later turns out to be a shaman, begins to tell the story of the man's family.

The surreal, 30-minute-long tale, which has a touch of comedy and a dose of horror, takes an unexpected turn, as are many of Park's previous works. The 48-year-old director, who is a household name in South Korean cinema, is best known internationally for "Oldboy" and "Thirst." The two films each earned him the second-best and the third-best prizes at the Cannes Film Festival.

Director Park Chan-wook. (Yonhap)

Park, who often explores dark and violent subjects as revenge and brutality with sensual mise-en-scenes, revives many of his cinematic trademarks using the iPhone, such as exploring morbid themes and vivid colors. The coarse screen texture in the night scenes and a couple of underwater scenes help unite them under the idea of death.
A self-proclaimed early adopter when it comes to a new technology in film, Park said he at first approached the project for fun.

"New technology always offers wonders and useful features. Testing them is part of the amusement," he said. But the production turned out to be as intensive and taxing as his latest work "Thirst," he said. "We were making the exact same movie as before, with just a smaller camera," he said.

The film's cost amounted to 150 million won (US$133,000), funded in part by KT Corp., the sole local distributor of the iPhone that has sold more than 1.8 million units in South Korea. The telecom titan hosted an iPhone film festival featuring 12 short works by the iPhone last year.

Park and his brother Park Chan-kyong who collaborated on the film also used the iPhone's compactness and lightness as one of the aesthetic elements to serve their cinematic goals.

The film opens with a long take of an underground music band playing a song where the camera starts to swing, unnerving viewers. "Every device has pros and cons so we tried to work with the device's characteristics," said Park Chan-kyong, who wrote the screenplay and co-directed the work with his older brother. "We wanted the scene to feel dynamic so we took advantage of the (iPhone) camera's spontaneity and its sense of movement."

The iPhone's ubiquitousness also brought surprises to the film-making process. Scenes were shot simultaneously from two iPhones from different angles, but staff members voluntarily contributed to the final version with video recordings on their iPhones from their point of view. "Some of them had an unexpectedly interesting angle," said the older Park, adding that the film-making process was more democratic as everyone with a smartphone took part in it, instead of one cameraman wielding the power.

Whether the director will continue using the iPhone for his future films depends on the nature of the project, he said. But he does not believe that a new generation of cinematic tool, even Apple's iPhone, should outshine the film itself. "Making a film with smartphones might generate more interest at the moment. But as time goes by, stories and actors on screen will be seen as more important," the director said.

The iPhone-made movie will be released in nine theaters nationwide in South Korea for four days from Jan. 27.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 10:39 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Jang Nara to promote Gangnam District
By Kim Rahn koreatimes.co.kr

Singer and actress Jang Nara was named publicity ambassador for Gangnam District, which is seeking to activate overseas marketing to attract more tourists to the area of southern Seoul, Tuesday.

The ward office has made efforts to bring more domestic and foreign visitors by promoting the district’s main attractions. It plans to target Chinese visitors this year with intensive marketing and promotions for tourists from the country.

“Jang, the hallyu (Korean wave) star, is popular in China through movies and soap operas. We hope she can make Chinese develop a friendlier image of Gangnam District and come here,” an official of the ward office said.

Jang recently finished filming the Chinese soap opera “Diao Man court physician” and is filming the Chinese movie “Race Track.” She was also named honorary citizen of Mang City of Yunnan Province, China, on Jan. 3.

The Gangnam District Office will place advertisements for the area at Incheon International Airport and several subway stations where foreign tourists frequently visit. It will also hold a fair on medical tourism in Chinese cities including Guangzhou and Chengdu from Jan. 17 to 21.

Jang has released six albums and starred in a dozen Korean and Chinese dramas and three movies since her debut in 2001

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 10:39 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Trouble-making investigators gather at MSS drama
By Kwon Mee-yoo meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

From left, actors Son Hyun-ju, Yun Hae-yeong and Oh Man-seok

A CSI world with an anarchic comic twist? Trouble-making crime investigators will be chasing after serial murderers this week on local television.

“Special Task Force MSS” is part of a KBS Drama Special, filled with new challenges for directors making short series consisting of four or eight episodes. The Drama Special originally was composed of weekly one-act dramas, but the station is trying something new this time.

“MSS” stands for “musosok,” which means “independent” in Korean. In other words, the officers of MSS are removed from their original positions and sent to a special unit to prevent further troubles. However, they once again join to solve murder cases.

No Cheol-gi (Oh Man-seok) is a fabulous troublemaker police officer who turns off a whole building’s power supply just to catch a pickpocket. Oh said he is enjoying playing the character of No as he is a fun and unique investigator.

“Appearing on such one-act dramas or short series is a meaningful experience for me, too,” Oh said during an on-spot interview at KBS Suwon Studio last week. “’MSS’ is a group of minorities, but they solve the case which the major ones can’t. One-act drama can bring diversity to Korean dramas like the minorities of MSS.”

He teams up with Hwang Jun-seong, played by actor Son Hyun-ju, a paranoiac police officer who insists the suicides or accidental deaths of criminals released from prison are actually victims of a serial killer.

Son does his best to portray the single-minded investigator chasing the serial killer — he wears the worn-out jumper of the character all the time and doesn’t even have time to wash it like real detectives.

Vivian Lee (Yun Hae-yeong) leads the MSS. She is thrown out from her original team because she was always one step behind due to family affairs. At MSS, she plays an important role rounding up reports, though often late.

The story begins with the death of a molester who got out from prison one month ago. Other police officers think he just killed himself, but Hwang thinks differently. No shows an interest in Hwang’s plot and they end up pursuing a serial killer who murders criminals.

Kang Byeong-taek, producer of the drama, said he would like to produce the second season of the drama about this time next year. “This is a crime investigation story and we heard many guesses on the ending of the drama. That’s why we will tighten up security for the script of the last episode,” Kang said.

The show airs at 11:15 p.m. Sunday on KBS.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-1-2011 10:46 PM | Show all posts
January 11, 2011

Bong Joon-ho to judge at Sundance...Film Festival
By Claire Lee (clairelee@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com l news.nate.com

Korean director Bong Joon-ho has been selected as one of the five jury members at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival in Utah from Jan. 20 to Jan. 30.

Bong will be judging a total of 58 films in competition in four categories.

The Sundance Film Festival is the biggest independent film gathering in the U.S. Founded by American actor and Utah resident Robert Redford in 1981, the festival established itself as the premier showcase for new work from independent filmmakers from around the world.

This year, the festival will showcase a total of 118 feature-length films, representing 29 countries, by 40 first-time filmmakers, including 25 in competition.

Born in Seoul in 1969, Bong has directed highly acclaimed films including “The Host” (2006) and “Mother” (2009). “Mother” premiered at Cannes in 2009 and was selected as one of the top ten movies of 2010 by The Wall Street Journal.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-1-2011 11:27 AM | Show all posts
January 12, 2011

Actress Hwang Soo-jung takes part in a charity event for senior citizens at a welfare center in Seoul on Tuesday. /Newsis

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-1-2011 11:27 AM | Show all posts
January 12, 2011

Japanese Fans Get Walk-on Parts in Popular Korean Drama

"Secret Garden," a hit TV drama by SBS starring Hyun Bin and Ha Ji-won, is generating W600 million in tourism revenues (US$1=W1,126). On Saturday, around 400 Japanese tourists will take part in a tour program dedicated to the show.

They will observe the filming of a concert scene for the show and take part as extras. A real concert follows the filming featuring singer Baek Ji-young as well as the drama's leading cast members Hyun Bin and Yoon Sang-hyun. The three-day program also includes visits to other sets including the luxurious house that is the setting for Hyun Bin's home in the series.

The price of the package differs depending on the point of departure and hotel, but averages at around 120,000 yen, or W1.6 million, per person and W650 million for 400 visitors.

The producers of "Secret Garden" said unlike the tourism packages themed on other TV dramas, the tour offers fans the chance to take part in the filming.

"Secret Garden" is just two episodes away from the finale this weekend.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 14-1-2011 12:14 AM | Show all posts
January 12, 2011

Actor Hyun Bin to join Marines
Source: Herald Online koreaherald.com

Korean fans express concerns about Hyun as serving in the Marines is regarded as the toughest duty. Hyun sets a new precedent as a top actor -- in sharp contrast to some celebrities who attempted to avoid a military duty.

Actor Hyun Bin, who plays a winsome character in the SBS weekend drama "Secret Garden," said he would join the Marines in March. (Yonhap News)

Korean actor Hyun Bin, who is one of Asia's top stars, said on Wednesday he would join the Marines in March to serve the mandatory military duty.

AM Entertainment, an agency representing Hyun, said the actor took a test for the Marines last year, and if he passes the screening, he would join the Marines in March.

"Hyun Bin has so far focused on his sound image as an actor and also has had good impression about the Marines," AM Entertainment said.

Hyun is currently playing the title for the hugely popular TV drama "Secret Garden," which is generating one buzzword after another, especially concerning the witty lines Hyun delivered on the screen.

Hyun's decision to volunteer for the Marines is in sharp contrast to a host of actors who had been charged with draft-dodging. In Korea, all men are required to serve in the military for about two years, a mandatory service that disrupts career of professionals in the entertainment and sports fields.

Since the service is mandatory, the public tends to express deep displeasure at those who try to avoid the military duty, showcased by the recent scandals involving MC Mong, a singer who is suspected to have removed his teeth to be exempted from the duty.

Several years ago, Yoo Seung-joon, a singer, publicly announced he would join the army but at the last minute flew back to the United States to avoid serving in the army, a decision that resulted in a huge backlash.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-1-2011 12:14 AM | Show all posts
January 12, 2011

Hyun Bin volunteers to join Marine Corps
By Kwon Mee-yoo meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

Heartthrob Hyun Bin, 29, who has won over the nation with the ongoing drama "Secret Garden," has applied to join the Marine Corps and will start his military service in March if he passes the screening.

The Military Manpower Administration (MMA) said Hyun was interviewed for the Marine Corps in December and the result will be announced on Feb. 20.

"The competition rate for entering the Marine Corps is around 4:1 this time. We will consider physical strength, academic background, voluntary service and more to select the successful candidates. There are no additional points for celebrities and Hyun will be evaluated on the same criteria as other applicants," an MMA official said.

Hyun's agency AM Entertainment said Wednesday that the actor did not want to join the entertainment unit and chose to apply for the Marine Corps by himself. “"Hyun Bin has so far focused on his sound image as an actor and also has had a good impression of the Marines,” an official of the agency said.

Busy filming the last episodes of "Secret Garden," which will end this Sunday, Hyun will promote two movies in February ― "Late Autumn" with Tang Wei and "Love, Love Not" (working title) with Im Soo-jung ― before leaving for the mandatory military service.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-1-2011 12:15 AM | Show all posts
January 12, 2011

Product placement frustrates drama fans
Some viewers even turning away from advertised goods

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

In a scene from the SBS drama “My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox,” the female lead advises her friend
to drink vegetable juice manufactured by Korea Yakult. The company’s contract with the broadcaster
dictates that its logo be shown in all 16 episodes. Provided by Korea Yakult

Rain or shine, the characters in “Secret Garden” always go to the same cafe. Their regular visits have nothing to do with status or proximity, but a newly revised broadcasting law.

Late last month, the Korea Communications Commission, the nation’s broadcasting regulator, eased regulations on product placement in television programs on national networks. Under the new law, all television programs except news, documentaries and editorial and debate shows are allowed to show brand names and corporate logos. Product placement was once strictly prohibited on all shows.

The result is that dramas and other programs have begun saturating their shows with products to the point that television programs can feel like a lengthy commercial advertisement.

Take “Secret Garden” for example - a fantasy drama in which the two main characters swap souls. There seems to be no end to products advertised on the show, from Caffe Bene coffee to MontBell outdoor gear. In one scene, one of the male leads tries out the latest function on his mobile phone and the camera zooms in and lingers on the glossy device. In another scene, a group of men go to a MontBell store that sells outdoor clothing and gear. Though they’re just there to pick up winter jackets, the clothing store’s logo is prominently displayed right behind the actors.

Main characters on the SBS drama “Secret Garden” wear clothes by MontBell Korea. Provided by MontBell Korea

Such blatant product placement has caused some viewers to grumble that it can ruin the experience of watching the show. “‘Secret Garden’ has strong production values with a creative story and meaty performances, but frequent product placements detract from its overall quality,” viewer Yu Su-hyun wrote on the show’s Web site last month.

Excessive placement can even turn viewers away from the products being advertised. “I’m sick and tired of these advertisements,” viewer Jeong So-yeon wrote on the show’s site. “I don’t want to use any of the products [shown in the drama].”

Businesses, however, are happy about the relaxed rules because they believe product placement is an effective form of advertising.

MontBell Korea is one of the beneficiaries of the new regulation.“We sponsor the drama and have a contract that says our logo be shown in scenes when actors wear our clothes,” said Lee Hye-sun, an official with the outdoor clothing company. “The same model clothes as the actors wear are all sold out.”

Korea Yakult, a local beverage maker, is another company that said it’s pleased with the new rules on product placement. “We’re happy that we can advertise our products in popular dramas,” said Lee Bae-young, a Korea Yakult official.

The company places its drinks in the MBC drama “Queen of Reversals.” “There is one scene in which one of the characters advises a co-worker to drink one of our beverages,” Lee said.

The drink manufacturer started placing products last year when it inserted its vegetable juice into the SBS drama “My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox.” In one scene, an elderly man gives the main character the vegetable juice, saying, “Drink this. It’s good for you.” Officials at Korea Yakult and MontBell Korea declined to comment when asked how much each product-placement contract is worth.

Local IT companies, including Samsung and LG Electronics, have also capitalized on the changes to the law. Samsung’s Galaxy Tab often makes appears when the host of SBS’s “Chocolate” uses the device to demonstrate an important point. But it’s not just the businesses that are pleased. Production companies and broadcasting stations also welcome the changes.

“The cost of producing a 20-episode drama is astronomical. To be honest, it’s hard to produce a show without product placement,” said a production company official who wished to remain anonymous. “But we try to find natural ways to place the products so that viewers won’t be too distracted.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-1-2011 12:30 PM | Show all posts
January 13, 2011

Actress Min Hyo-rin speaks after being appointed promotional ambassador for the 2011 Pyeongchang Ski Jumping FIS Continental Cup in the city in Gangwon Province on Wednesday. /Yonhap

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Dividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
AbahmungDividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
Views : 1718 Replies : 0
Penghantar makanan rugi RM82,000 ditipu skim pelaburan tidak wujud
ultra78Penghantar makanan rugi RM82,000 ditipu
Views : 7400 Replies : 31
Betulkah orang bukan Melayu tak makan kedai Melayu?
YgBenarBetulkah orang bukan Melayu tak makan ke
Views : 5746 Replies : 34
Pempengaruh maut ditembak di restoran
mojarean_XPempengaruh maut ditembak di restoran
Views : 9428 Replies : 2
TERKINI!!! Azam Baki dilantik semula Ketua Pesuruhjaya SPRM
mojarean_XTERKINI!!! Azam Baki dilantik semula Ket
Views : 1665 Replies : 3
‘Dulu RM191, Sekarang RM429’ – Kenaikan Mendadak Cukai Pintu Di Selangor Mengejutkan Penduduk
YgBenar‘Dulu RM191, Sekarang RM429’ – Kenaik
Views : 15155 Replies : 57
Restoran Kantan Datin Isma
AngelFreakyAFRestoran Kantan Datin Isma
Views : 29283 Replies : 219
comel
rospinkicomel
Views : 7212 Replies : 47
Isteri curang?
Lavender85Isteri curang?
Views : 9609 Replies : 32
tajuk apa yg sesuai
Mrperfect2tajuk apa yg sesuai
Views : 7158 Replies : 33

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

10-5-2024 05:18 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.461071 second(s), 41 queries .