CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2011

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 9-5-2009 10:19 PM | Show all posts
Actor Sul Kyung-gu, 41, and actress Song Yun-ah, 36, will marry on May 28.
The renowned actor and actress plan to announce their scheduled wedding at Litz-Carlton Hotel in southern Seoul Saturday at 4 p.m.

May 9, 2009

Sul Kyung Gu and Song Yun Ah's wedding announcement

Captures credit as stated on image via yahoo.kr

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 10-5-2009 05:00 PM | Show all posts
May 8, 2009

Korean Women Are Not Alphabets

By James Turnbull
Contributing Writer

It is well known that singer Son Dam-bi dons a corset on stage since her comeback in May last year. But few can deny that it's cute the way the singer tightens a miniature corset around a bottle of 'Today's Tea' in her latest commercial.

While modern corsets lack the uncomfortable body-shaping functions of their Victorian counterparts, they remain an enduring symbol of the pressures women can be under to conform to often impossible ideals of appearance. And despite its lightheartedness, this commercial provides an excellent illustration of a distinctly Korean spin on this.

Beverage producer Lotte Chilsung invented the term 'bellyline' for use in this commercial. The 'bellyline' is where the corset and, supposedly, the drink will help with slimming.

In itself, doing so is not at all worthy of any criticism, nor is the term dissimilar to, say, the English equivalent of 'waistline,' which would actually have been a much more appropriate choice here. But with that perfectly good term existing already, why invent a new one?

The term is merely the latest in a spate of naming particular female body parts after English letters in recent years, a very curious fashion that seems unique to Korea so far. Consider the following best-known examples of this:

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-5-2009 05:42 PM | Show all posts
May 8, 2009

Korean Films Continue to Rate Highly with Korean Audiences

There are few surprises in KOFIC抯 latest report analyzing audience tastes from 1998 to 2008: 45.9% of Koreans prefer Korean films while 36.5% are said to prefer U.S films. While 10% of audience members surveyed had no preference where a film was made only a tiny number, 2.6% preferred European films, the same amount preferred Chinese/Hong Kong films and 1.7% was left to Japanese films.

What is a little surprising is the divide, albeit not significant, between what audiences say they watch and what they actually watch. Here, U.S films come out on top taking up 48.4% of the box office with Korean films coming in at 42.5%. Together they make up 90.8% of the box office leaving the remains for all other countries

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-5-2009 09:55 PM | Show all posts
May 8, 2009

Park Chan-wook's Cannes Entry Thirst Continues to Rampage Local Box Office

The long weekend has proven to be a hit for Chan-wook抯 highly anticipated Thirst. Despite mixed reviews, the Korean vampire film, hyped nearly as much as Kim Jee-woon抯 The Good The Bad and The Weird (2008) did not defy hope becoming the biggest opening for a Korean film this year. Released on the 30th of April on 633 screens it quickly managed to knock bock buster Xmen Wolverine of its commercial perch. Over the weekend, a holiday weekend for many, the film gained 1 million admissions grossing over 6 billion won ($5.36 million)

Thirst抯 success puts the film in good stead, raising anticipations for its success at Cannes along with Bong Joon-ho抯 Mother. Cannes opens on the 13th of May.

Source: KOFIC

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-5-2009 09:58 PM | Show all posts
May 8, 2009

Lifting the Lid on Stuntmen 慉ction Boys

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-5-2009 10:03 PM | Show all posts
May 8, 2009

62nd Cannes Selects 9 Korean Films

A total of 9 Korean films including 5 features have been invited to the official line-up of the 62nd Cannes Film Festival, which runs May 13

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 10-5-2009 10:04 PM | Show all posts
May 10, 2009

Local Films to Shine at Cannes Fest

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

A total of 10 Korean movies will be shown at the Cannes International Film Festival from May 13-24, marking the highest number of local films ever to be included in the prestigious event's roster.

The first local film ever to be invited to the event was Lee Doo-yong's "Moul Le Ya Moul Le Ya" for the Un Certain Regard section in 1984, and since then, more than 40 local works have been presented at the southern French port city over the past 20 years.

One of the most anticipated films this year is Park Chan-wook's "Thirst," which is vying for the Palme d'Or, the highest prize given to competing films, as well as the Best Actor and Actress Awards. The movie about the vampire-turned-priest has been captivating audiences here, attracting more than 600,000 fans during the first three days of its release.

The entry to the Palme d'Or is significant, as it was only eight years ago when the first Korean film, "Chunhyang" by veteran director Im Kwon-taek, was nominated in the prestigious section. Since then, eight films were given the honor as nominees, "Thirst" being the latest.

This is the second time that one of Park's movies has been nominated at Cannes, the first being "Old Boy" in 2004. The film won the Grand Prix at the festival that year. As for actor Song Kang-ho, who plays the vampire/priest, this will be his fourth visit to Cannes, following his appearance for "The Host"(2006), "Secret Sunshine" (2007) and "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" (2008).

The Un Certain Regard section presents a score of films with distinctive visions and styles that seek international recognition, and fans can watch "Mother" by Bong Joon-ho ("The Host") this year. Bong, invited to the event for the third time, will join veteran actress Kim Hye-ja and actor Won bin on the red carpet. Kim plays a distressed mother who fights for her son's (Won) innocence against a false charge of homicide.

In Cannes Classics, the restored version of late director Shin Sang-ok's "Prince Yeonsan" (1961) will be screened. This particular section presents restored classic movies from around the world. Last year, the black and white piece "The Housemaid" (1960) by the late director Kim Ki-young was presented in the section.

Creative works by aspiring directors will also greet fans at Cannes through Cinefoundation, the competition section for students. "Don't Step Out of the House" by Jo Sung-hee and "Horn" by Yim Kyung-dong will compete with other works made by students from around the world.

"A Brand New Life" by French director Ounie Lecomte will be presented at the Special Screenings section of the festival. The movie about a nine-year-old orphan Jin-hee was co-produced by Korean and French filmmakers. Director Lee Chang-dong, who will be present as a jury member, joined in the production.

Hong Sang-soo's "Like You Know It All" will be featured at the Directors' Fortnight section, while Jung Yu-mi's animated film "Dust Kid" will be featured as part of the Short Films lineup. The two independent sections are run by the French Directors Society and program a selection of works during the festival.

"Like You Know It All" star Kim Tae-woo will be at Cannes for the first time in five years, his last visit being for the film "Woman is the Future of Man" by Hong in 2004. This year will be particularly special for Kim as his brother, actor Kim Tae-hoon, will also be present at the festival for director Moon Seong-hyeok's "6 Hours," which was included in the Special Screenings section of the Cannes Film Festival's Critics Week.

Finally, "Land of Scarecrows" by director Roh Gyeong-tae and co-produced by Korea and France will pay a visit to Cannes as part of the Programmation ACID Cannes 2009. This program is organized by the Association for Independent Cinema and Broadcasting and is held during the film festival every year.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 12:55 AM | Show all posts

Press release May 9th - photos & VOD

Sul Kyung Gu & Song Yun Ah's wedding announcement

http://vod.innolife.net/2009/05/tv_090509_0125_01.wmv

Complete set courtesy travel.innolife.net

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 12:03 PM | Show all posts
May 11, 2009

Chosun Ilbo Sues Lawmakers for Libel

Actress Jang Ja-yeon

South Korea's leading newspaper Monday filed a 1 billion won ($805,000) civil lawsuits against two opposition lawmakers for libel, claiming they falsely alleged executives of the daily were implicated in a sex scandal involving an actress who committed suicide.

The Seoul District Court said Chosun Ilbo, the largest-circulation daily, sued Reps. Lee Jong-kul and Lee Jung-hee for naming the newspaper during a parliamentary session and a television debate last month as the rumored media company whose senior officials were linked to the scandal, according to Yonhap News Agency.

Actress Jang Ja-yeon, 30, hanged herself at her house in early March, leaving behind a suicide note and self-penned letters claiming she was forced by her former agent to provide sex to influential figures.

The scandal became full blown with rumors and speculations that men from powerful media and entertainment industries were involved, leading to a prosecution investigation.

"Rep. Lee Jong-kul made the malicious comments knowing they will be made known to the public through the National Assembly TV network. Rep. Lee Jung-hee mentioned specific names a number of times during a television debate," Chosun was quoted as saying.

Lee Jong-kul is a member of the main opposition Democratic Party, and Lee Jung-hee from the minor opposition Democratic Labor Party. Chosun Ilbo had filed separate complaints with the prosecution last month against the two legislators for defamation.

Both lawmakers defended their remarks and indicated they will also take legal action.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 12:33 PM | Show all posts
May 11, 2009

Japanese Director Set to Make Taekwondo Film

Ryuhei Kitamura

The Japanese film director Ryuhei Kitamura looks like an erratic high school student with bleached blond hair and pitch black eyebrows. In Korea for a meeting with a potential distributor for his new project, a film tentatively titled "Tae Kwon" for which the shooting begins later this year, Kitamura already has a deal with big Japanese production company Yoshimoto Kogyo to make the film, with the U.S.' Arclight Films in charge of distributing the film in North America and Europe.

The film, as the title suggests, is about Korea's Taekwondo. That a Japanese director should want to make it is not as improbable as it may seem. Born in Osaka, Kitamura quit high school in Japan and moved to Australia to study cinema and is currently working in Hollywood. A sports fanatic, he says he has tried almost every martial art, including Karate, Kendo and Judo.

His passion for action is reflected in "Azumi" (2003), an adaptation of a popular Japanese manga. Although it had an abysmal box-office record in Japan, the film was hailed in the U.S. for the uniqueness of its violence. His Hollywood debut "The Midnight Meat Train" (2008) was an adaptation of a short story by horror writer Clive Barker, and did respectable business.

"I want to make this film because I was enamored with the mysteriousness of Taekwondo. Given the worldwide popularity of the sport, it seemed odd to me that it's nearly impossible to find Taekwondo schools in Japan, when you can find it in just about every city in the United States," Kitamura says. "I took a one-day course about three years ago, and the sophisticated positions and movements seemed very mystical."

He said he feels something Korean running through his veins. "I felt the Korean spirit from my childhood, hanging out with Korean-Japanese friends. Sometimes when I watch my films, I feel like I'm watching a Korean film," he says.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 12:35 PM | Show all posts
News Index page 7

May 11, 2009: Top Star Couple to Wed in Late May
May 11: Sol Kyung-gu, Song Yun-ah to Wed

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 12:39 PM | Show all posts

More SKG-SYA photos at page 6

May 11, 2009

Top Star Couple to Wed in Late May

Acclaimed actor Sul Kyung-gu and actress Song Yun-ah announced that they will get married on May 28th at Bangbae Catholic Church in Seoul. Korea抯 top celebrities held a press conference on Saturday to talk about their wedding plans.

The two stars first met when they appeared in the 2002 film, 揓ail Breaker.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 01:34 PM | Show all posts
May 11, 2009

Sol Kyung-gu, Song Yun-ah to Wed

Actor Sol Kyung-gu (left) and actress Song Yun-ah
pose for photos at a press conference
announcing their wedding plans in Seoul on Saturday

Actor Sol Kyung-gu and actress Song Yun-ah are getting married on May 28. Rumors that they were dating started as early as in 2002, when both appeared in the film "Jail Breakers."

When Sol announced his divorce after four years of separation with his then-wife in 2006, the rumors intensified, but the two consistently denied them.

They now claim their secret romance began in summer 2007. In a press conference to announce their wedding plans on Saturday, Song said her trust in Sol grew steadily through knowing him for a long time.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 02:35 PM | Show all posts
Weekly Box Office 2009.05.08 ~ 2009.05.10 3-day Gross/Total Gross (won)

My Girlfriend is An Agent / Secret Couple / star.mt.co.kr / daum.net

1. MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN AGENT (South Korea) 2,247,102,500 / 15,443,271,500

2. Star Trek (U.S.) 2,043,871,000 / 2,348,250,500

3. Thirst (South Korea) 1,479,233,500 / 11,307,776,000

4. INSADONG Scandal (South Korea) 1,028,768,000 / 5,605,348,000

5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (U.S.) 954,893,500 / 7,212,427,000

6. Monsters Vs. Aliens (U.S.) 248,725,500 / 4,248,186,500

7. Sergeant Keroro The Super Duper Movie : Dragon Wars (Japan) 97,349,000 / 1,098,805,500

8. State Of Play (U.S.) 98,767,500 / 892,708,500

9. Knowing (U.S.) 91,830,000 / 6,814,574,000

10. White Tuft, the Little Beaver (France) 73,311,000 / 661,061,500

Source: KOFIC

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 07:34 PM | Show all posts
May 11, 2009

Singer Pays Back After Unsatisfactory Concert

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

Singer Lee So-ra

Ballad singer Lee So-ra plans to repay her fans who came to watch her sing, literally.

Lee, 39, said she would refund all those who purchased tickets for her concert on Friday at Sogang University, because she was not up to her usual standards.

After singing some 20 songs, Lee told the audience that she was not happy with her performance.

"I don't like my songs today. It's a shame to sing like this to those who came here. I don't think I should be receiving admission fees," she said at the end of the concert.

Although some fans disagreed and insisted there was no need for a refund, Lee stepped down from the stage saying that she would pay back her fans. "Lee was not in her best condition that day. She finished the show, but we think she felt sorry for the audience. A full house would be 400 seats, and as the tickets are 50,000 won per person, the refund would be approximately 20 million won. This is all coming from Lee herself," an official from Lee's agency told Yonhap News. The refunds started Monday.

In the past, concertgoers have received refunds when there was an evident problem with the performer, or if there was a technical problem during the show. For a singer like Lee to decide to give the refund herself is quite unusual.

Lee made her debut in 1991 and has been recognized as a talented female ballad singer with her emotional lyrics and dramatic sounds. She recently quit her post as a DJ for the radio show "Lee So-ra's Afternoon Discovery" to prepare for her concerts, which continue through May 17. She will begin her national tour in June.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-5-2009 07:38 PM | Show all posts
May 11, 2009

Youn-ha Moves Forward With Passion for Music  

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

With a new album out, her third, Youn-ha regears to sing her heart out
to the music fans. / Korea Times File

With short curly hair, bright eye makeup and attire, it would be easy to mistake Youn-ha as another colorful singer with a pretty face and voice.

But the 21-year-old is a driven artist for whom music is the number one priority and will continue to be so. "Whenever I work on an album, I put all of my energy into it. You can say that I have put 100 percent of me in this album," Youn-ha told The Korea Times during an interview in the singer's van last week.

Her new album "Part. A Peace Love & Icecream" is a big change from her usual rock'n'roll image with the black shaggy hair, dark clothes and makeup, and when asked the reason for the change in style, Youn-ha said she wanted to bring positive energy. "There are so many trendy dance numbers these days, and so I wanted to move on with a different style. The reason we chose '1,2,3' as the first single was also because I realized the importance of having a 'hit song' and also because I wanted to sing something bright and happy. Everybody is going through such a hard time, I wanted to offer them an optimistic song," she said.

Debuting in 2004, Youn-ha made her first appearance in Japan, surprising both Japanese and local music fans. Moving to Japan was easy, but realizing her path as a singer hit her hard. "When I first started auditioning, I just wanted to be famous. I thought working in Japan would naturally make me the next BoA, but no. It was so hard for me to just even to eat. As time went by, it suddenly hit me that I really needed to like the music I was doing to continue my career," she said.

When she came back to Korea three years later with high hopes, she had to readjust. "It was hard getting used to the Korean system. In Japan, singers have a lot of free time and can just focus on the music. But here, there are so many other things you have to do, for instance, appear in entertainment programs. I sometimes feel deprived of my time to practice my vocals and to listen to music. I would try to say some serious things about my new album, but then it would be cut in the airing," she said laughing.

Working in both Japan and Korea also brought new adventures, like starring in a movie. "I have never thought about acting, let alone think I was good at it," she said.

Shooting the movie "Nichiyoubini," or "Next Sunday," was a memorable experience, but Youn-ha said she didn't have any more acting plans in the near future. "It was quite strange to see the final product. When an album comes out, it feels like it belongs to me. But when the movie came out, I simply thought it was well made. I have absolutely nothing to say about my acting. I have a very long way to go when it comes to acting," she said laughing.

A junior at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies studying Japanese, Youn-ha is planning to continue her studies and hopefully move abroad to study music and languages. "It's hard for both the professors and me. They want me to attend classes, and I understand that, but it's difficult to appear on music programs and still be at class. Still, I have persuaded some and we made an agreement that I would make up with reports and homework," Youn-ha said.

Starting her life as a full time singer at the age of 16 was not easy, and Youn-ha thought for a moment when asked if she regretted starting early. 'There were times when I regretted. Not having a high school life was always a big minus for me personally, and I think that was why I wanted to attend university that badly. School is great. I went to trips with my school friends, attended classes regularly when I wasn't busy and also have drinks. Now, I'm just trying hard to graduate,' she said.

The singer's eyes sparkled whenever the subject turned to music, and when asked what kind of singer she wanted to be remembered as, she started talking about the current conception of music among local fans.

"In Korea's case, there are not many singers who just do one certain genre. I think this means that Korean fans become tired easily and they consider music as an accessory. As a musician, this is sad and many singers like me are aware of this. I simply want people to like my music and attach any kind of memory with it, so when they hear my song, they will remember a certain part of their life along the way," she said.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 12-5-2009 07:25 PM | Show all posts
May 12, 2009

Actor John Cho Aims to Break Stereotypes  

By Lee Hyo-won
Staff Reporter

Actor John Cho talks about his 揝tar Trek

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-5-2009 12:24 PM | Show all posts
May 12, 2009

Big Three Productions Companies Band Together   

Korea抯 three biggest music production companies

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-5-2009 12:42 PM | Show all posts
May 13, 2009

Yonhap Feature
Viewers open up, but law stays put about sexuality on screens

By Shin Hae-in

SEOUL, May 13 (Yonhap) -- There were some gasps here and there, but hardly anyone looked discomforted. Seeing an actor's "private parts" on the screen was apparently no heartstopper for local film buffs who buzzed excitedly after watching Park Chan-wook's "Thirst," which boldly revealed the leading actor's full frontal.

Thirst

"Yes, I was surprised, but it was hardly unpleasant," said 32-year-old Lee Jae-hoon who called himself a devotee of Korean films. "I feel local fans are ready for just about anything on the screens. I admire actor Song Gang-ho for being brave enough to reveal his genitals in front of the camera."

For a traditionally Confucian country where police once patrolled the streets scissoring off men's longish hair and tape-measuring miniskirts to check compliance with the law, South Korea has been opening up toward sexuality -- at least in entertainment -- at an overwhelming speed.

Scenes containing nudity and explicit sex no longer make headlines here as filmmakers continue to explore subjects that were once considered taboo, and moviegoers gladly accommodate the changes. But rules and public sentiment seem to be headed in separate directions.

The Korea Media Rating Board, the state-run media censoring body, ordered a screen ban on Cannes award-winning Mexican film "Battle in Heaven" for the third consecutive time this month. While the board called the film's sex scenes "excessive and unacceptable to ordinary people's moral standards," the film industry criticized the decision as "standpat and anachronistic." "I wanted to laugh out loud," said media critic Lee Moon-won in a recent interview with Yonhap News Agency. "Whose moral standards are the rating board referring to? Its own more than the public's, if you ask me."

Despite longstanding disputes over media censorship, current South Korean law continues to dictate that all movies must be approved by the board before release. There are currently five ratings levels, the strictest being the "restricted" label for X-rated films, which can only be shown at designated theaters. The label is, in reality, a death sentence for the movies that are stamped with it, as no such venues currently exist. All of them shut down, unable to turn a profit.

Thus, local filmmakers often walk a tightrope, testing limits only to a certain extent. Last year, all five movies that received the dreaded label were foreign-made. "Most Korean directors know by now how to avoid a complete screen ban," Lee said. "And it is true that the rating board opened up a lot in the past five, six years after many bold and daring local movies were invited to international film fests."

A series of recent court decisions on the issue of freedom of expression also highlights the ongoing changes in liberalizing the media and arts sector. Earlier this year, the Supreme Court ordered the rating board to lift a ban on "Shortbus," a U.S. film that was prohibited from local screens in 2007 for its allegedly explicit depictions of homosexuality, group sex and sadism.

Image viewed with discretion - Shortbus

Following the decision, the Zurich Film Festival-winner by John Cameron Mitchell made a belated release here in March. "Although the movie does feature scenes of explicit sex, it cannot be regarded as lewd material as it has artful value. The rating board's decision to ban screening (of the movie) was an abuse of authority," the court said in its ruling.

The ruling came after the Constitutional Court's order last summer for the rating board to scrap a provision in its censorship laws, saying the "ambiguity of the terms" puts too many movies under screen restriction. The board revised the law, which was approved by the parliament last month. What critics argue, however, is that the revised law is closely similar to its former version, with a few details attached to "scrap the ambiguity."

"The court ruled unconstitutional not the system itself, but the ambiguity of it," explained Ji Myung-hyuk, head of the media rating board. "So we came up with some specific grounds to base our monitoring on. There is no doubt that some sort of standard is still necessary to protect teenagers from rampant sex and violence in the cinema, and to filter films that go against the majority's sentiment."

Members of the rating board base their judgment not upon one specific scene, but the overall story, said board member Yoo Jong-seok. "I do agree that times have changed, but we still have very traditional film fans. I don't think now is the time to abolish the monitoring system altogether," he said.

The film industry, which has long hoped for the system to be tossed out, called the changes insufficient. "This doesn't seem to reflect change at all," said Byun Jong-suk, head of World Cinema, a local distributor of foreign movies. "Even if some details are stated in the law, each board member will go on relying on his or her personal opinion and views when rating the films."

Media critic Lee agreed. "Nowadays, films are not just made for national fans but for viewers all over the world. It is wrong to have two separate standards on what is OK for local viewers and for the foreign audience," he said. "Local fans have every right -- not to mention far more sophisticated taste these days -- to decide what they can and cannot see."

Controversy over the film rating system is not a phenomena limited to Korea.

Image viewed with discretion - TheDreamers

In 2004, disputes rose in the United States over an Italian movie, "The Dreamers," by Bernardo Bertolucci, which exposed the leading actor's genitals. After much debate, the film was slapped with a strict NC-17 label, the first such case in six years. The film was released in South Korea in 2005.

"This is a debate that will go on for years more," said Cho Kwang-hee, head of local filmmaking firm Bom. "Even Europe, one of the most open places in the arts and film sector, went through this stage."

"What we must note is the fact that the Korean cinema keeps growing as it experiments, but still has limited freedom," he added. "The conservative lid will come off completely eventually, I believe. What we need to do, meanwhile, is to all put our heads together on controlling the speed of these changes for the best result."

Credits: hayney@yna.co.kr via yonhapnews.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-5-2009 05:12 PM | Show all posts
May 13, 2009

Ryu Si-won to lure in foreign visitors

Ryu Si-won, an actor well-known for his romantic roles and good looks, this week began working with the Korea Tourism Organization to foreign travelers to Korea.

Ryu, 37, a popular actor, singer and MC since the late 1990s, has recently been gaining recognition in Japan and other Asian countries after starring in the hit SBS drama "Beautiful Days" in 2001. Ryu has also released a number of records in Japan since 2004.

The KTO said that Ryu will be working with the organization with an aim of bringing in 12,000 additional foreign visitors this year by co-hosting a number of special events and tours.

Ryu has been an honorary ambassador for Korea's tourism for three consecutive years. "Ryu has great influence in Japan, and one of Korea's top hallyu stars by not only simply showing Korea to the fans but also bringing them to come visit here," the KTO said.

Last month, Ryu's Single Collection Album hit No. 2 on its release date of April 22 on Japan's Oricon Top 10 Daily Album Charts. Each year, more than 3,000 of Ryu's Japanese fans attend his birthday party on Oct. 6, the KTO said.

The organization and Ryu's agency R's Company will be working on six different projects to eventually see approximately 20 billion won ($16 million) in profits. They include tours around his hometown in Andong, Gyeongsang Province, a food tour related to the show "Mat vs. Mat" that he used to MC for, as well as coming to see a super model competition he will be hosting this summer.

Ryu is also well-known for being a professional car racer, bringing his international fans here to the watch the games held in Taebaek of Gangwon Province. "The KTO has always been working together with various hallyu-related projects with hallyu stars, but this is the first year-based contract and we have great hopes (to see a good outcome)," said KTO president Oh Jee-chul.

Ryu Si-won said, "I thank all the fans who come as far as Korea to see me. More and more fans who first came here just to meet their stars are discovering the hidden gems of Korea and hence show greater interest in other travel destinations."

By Lee Joo-hee (angiely@heraldm.com) via koreaherald.co.kr

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

24-4-2024 04:25 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.076919 second(s), 41 queries .