Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2011

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 18-8-2010 10:22 PM | Show all posts
August 18, 2010

[INTERVIEW] Korean actor Lee Min-ho
Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lucia Hong Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin

Interview with Korean actor Lee Min-ho

Korean actor Lee Min-ho [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

My name is Lee Min-ho.

I had considered using a stage name because many people confuse me with the other actor Lee Min-ho. My parents disapprove of that idea though and say that I should work harder instead of changing my name and taking a step backwards. So I'm just going to work hard and live with my name. (laugh)
I was born on June 28, 1993. My co-stars Seo Shin-ae and Kim Yoo-jeong asked what I wanted for my birthday this year. I couldn't ask them to buy me a present because I am older than them, so I instead told them to write me a letter. They each gave me a handwritten letter, chocolates and a foam cleanser. I was so thankful.
I am a junior at Paikyang High School. It's a co-ed school and I sit next to a girl. Most people might think I am popular but I'm actually not. At first, my classmates were fascinated with me but we all became friends once we got to know each other.
The first scene that I shot for "Grudge: The Revolt of Gumiho" (Gumiho) was when my character Jung-kyu and Yeon-yi (played by Kim Yoo-jeong) gets attacked by a flock of birds at a barley field in Gochang-gun located in the North Jeolla Province. It was awkward because Yoo-jeong and I were still getting to know each other and it was really uncomfortable watching the scene because we were staring at a blank blue screen and yelling "Run!" before the CG (computer generated) effects. And the director kept saying "Try to put on a wider smile and look at her in a loving way." (laugh) Yoo-jeong and I have become close ever since because we film together all day.
I was bombarded with text messages from my classmates when the kissing scene between Yoo-jeong and Jung-kyu went on air. I received messages like "You bad guy, Dog!" and Internet comments said things like, "Oh you bad boy, how can you do that to an elementary school student!" But Yoo-jeong has already shot a kissing scene before while this was my first...
My co-star Kim Yoo-jeong is actually a chic girl. I bought these magic trick kits when I was in middle school because I liked magic and I showed Yoo-jeong a simple magic trick with chopsticks when we first met over a meal. It would have been nice if her reaction was "Oh wow oppa [word used by younger girls to call an older guy] that is so amazing!"... I think Yoo-jeong was fascinated on the inside but just didn't show it. Her reaction was "Eh, what is that? Give it to me! " Yoo-jeong is very chic!
And one day, My other co-star Shin-ae comes over and asked "Oppa, why do you only talk with Yoo-jeong and not play with me?" It is because Jung-kyu and Yeon-yi have a lot of scenes together but I decided I should treat Shin-ae a lot better if I made her feel that way.
There is a scene where Jung-kyu leaves Yeon-yi when she turned into a nine tailed fox. I wanted to show a twist to the story and just fled the scene like I was running away but I kind of regret it because I received many comments like "You bad boy! How can you run away from such a cute fox like her? Poor Yeon-yi!" (laugh) I don't know what is going to happen in the end but I just hope I look cool when Jung-kyu becomes the victim because of Yeon-yi...
After 6th grade, I grew 16 centimeters in one year. Right now I'm 175 centimeters tall but my goal is to be at least 180 centimeters. I'm a bit worried because it doesn't seem like I'm getting taller but I've been told that guys grow even until they enter the military. (laugh)
It was so much fun shooting "Magic Fighter: Mir & Gaon" with fellow actor Yoo Seung-ho. Every day I thought about the fun things we should do on set. When we first started shooting we were all young and after a year we changed. We grew taller and hit puberty.
I used to be able to run 50 meters in six and a half seconds but it rose by a few seconds after I entered high school. I thought to myself "Oh, is it because I'm older?" but fortunately enough, I was chosen as the class representative for the relay race and for soccer.
I love soccer to the point where I wanted to become a soccer player. I was in a soccer club when I was in middle school and I received the top scorer award. I think I scored 10 goals during about 9 or 10 games.
You can't really call it action but in "Gumiho," there are scenes where I practice with swords or I roughly drag around Yeon-yi in a manly way. The director gave me compliments saying "Our action star did a great job!" (laugh)
I love to bring atmospheres to life so I'm the type that overreacts and give big reactions when I'm with my friends or singing karaoke. I make jokes that don't make sense but they end up becoming empty jokes. My friends start to curse at me once the mood dies out. (laugh) Someone once told me that I should try out my jokes on a variety program...
I would like to appear on a variety show one day. I think it will be fun to be on "One Night, Two Days" or a talk show like "Steel Heart" or "World Changing Quiz." I don't think I will have anything to talk about on "Steel Heart" though, since I'm still too young…
If I was given a chance to become a singer, I want to be a part of a group. I think by living together we can make up for the aspects that the other person lacks in. Of course it will be sad to be living away from my parents but it will fun to form a new family. How many members? I think five would be just the right number.
My role models are actors Song Kang-ho and Kim Yun-seok. I am still far from being like them but when I see them act, I just love how comfortably they do it, as if it’s part of their everyday life.
If I had to choose just one female celebrity that I like, it would have to be singer IU! She's pretty and sings really well. I visited her personal homepage and I felt that she is really kind and considerate to all her fans. This is the first time talking about this...is this going to be written in the interview? Oh no, what do I do!!!

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <&#9426;10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Actor Lee Min-ho poses during an interview with 10Asia.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <&#9400; 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 18-8-2010 10:23 PM | Show all posts
August 18, 2010

Comedian Lee to marry florist on Dec. 5

By Chung Ah-young

Comedian Lee Hwi-jae will marry a florist, eight years younger than him, on Dec. 5, according to TN Entertainment.
The 38-year-old met the would-be bride one year ago through a blind date arranged by his close aide.

The management agency said that she is beautiful and has mild personality. “Two families of the couple met each other and are searching the wedding ceremony venue,” the company said.

Before the announcement of the marriage, Lee often mentioned her in his show “Sebakwi” (Quiz to Change the World). The couple dated at concerts earlier this year.

He studied acting at the Seoul Institute of the Arts. Lee made his debut in 1992 as comedian after working as a floor director for MBC’s entertainment program “Sunday, Sunday Night.” He shot to stardom in the program titled “Life Theater.” Since then, he has expanded his career to hosting variety shows such as “Sang Sang Plus,” “Sponge” and “Sebakwi.”

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-8-2010 10:23 PM | Show all posts
August 18, 2010

Reboot of John Woo classic focuses on drama

When the Korean remake of John Woo’s seminal, genre-defining shoot’em up, “A Better Tomorrow” rolls out in multiplexes all over Korea during next month’s Chuseok holiday, don’t expect a faithful update.

Song Hye-sung, director of such searing melodramas as the critically acclaimed “Failan” and “Rikidozan,” says that the focus of his version was the dramatic portrayal of loyalty, family, friendship, and the always popular theme of male bonding.

“When I decided to get on board the project, I watched the original film again and although it was still the exhilarating action picture it was when I first saw it as a university student in the ‘80s, there was something lacking and that was drama,” Song said during the film’s official unveiling on Wednesday in Seoul. “So I decided that would be the driving force of our remake because I would like audiences to expect our film to be not just an action film but a dramatic film.”

Song quickly added “people are talking about the film as if it’s going to be this big action spectacular but what they will get is a strong dramatic film that also happens to have action. The action is just an incentive. The drama in the film is the driving force. The scenes not involving gunfire aren’t an intermission in between action sequences.”

The remake stars Joo Jin-mo, Song Seung-hun, Kim Kang-woo, and Jo Han-sun with a plot that, for the most part, retains the basic framework of John Woo’s 1986 original, according to the film’s producers. Like the original, the main focus of the story involves the contemptuous relationship between two brothers ― on the opposite sides of the law.

Kim Hyeok (Joo) is an illegal weapons dealer, while his brother, Cheol (Kim), is a rookie detective assigned to take his brother's operation down. Both share a tragic past as defectors from the North.

Meanwhile, Song Seung-hun has the unenviable task of taking on the role that Chow Yun-fat made famous. He plays Lee Young-choon, the hot-headed life-long friend of Hyeok who ends up penniless after being betrayed by a fellow crime syndicate member in Jung Tae-min (Jo).

According to director Song, it was three years ago that producers first approached him with the prospect of remaking the film that made international stars out of Chow Yun-fat and the late Leslie Cheung.

It was a tall order for Song to take on as he had never helmed an action picture before. So at first, the notion of taking the project seemed a little too tall. “At the time I flat out refused,” Song said. “A large part of my refusal to get on board was because the original was such an iconic film that defined a specific era. At the same time, however, the gravity of the project pulled me in and I thought even if I got blasted by fans of the original, I thought I could do it justice if it was done right.”

The film’s four leading men, too, felt the weight of pressure on their shoulders in following some tough acts.

On stepping into the shoes of veteran Hong Kong actor Ti Lung’s role for the remake, Joo Jin-mo said he was a fan of John Woo’s original as a teenager but avoided seeing it again when he agreed to star in the film.

Kim Kang-woo (from left), Song Seung-hun, Joo Jin-mo, and Jo Han-sun pose
for photographers during the official unveiling of their new film “Invincible,”
a remake of John Woo’s 1986 action classic “A Better Tomorrow.”

“I stayed away from watching it before shooting began because I was fearful that if I did revisit the film, I would end up emulating the performance from the original,” Joo said. “My character in this reboot is a complete overhaul and a reinterpretation. I’d like to watch the original now that we’re done filming and compare.”

Kim Gang-woo, who plays the role the late Cantonese pop star and actor Leslie Cheung played echoed Joo’s sentiments of describing the Korean remake as more of a reboot than a remake. “The weight of pressure to deliver a film on par with such a famous film was lifted when we saw the final cut,” Kim said.

“The characters in our version carry added dimensions that are revealed in layers that show various emotions at play which was lacking in the original. Because of that, we were able to gain even more confidence that we made a good film.”

With the release of the original, the film’s director John Woo pioneered a new form of stylized action. It was chock full of meticulously choreographed, operatic gunplay that thrilled audiences like never before.

It featured Hong Kong soap opera star Chow Yun-fat, virtually unknown in the West, brandishing a pair of guns clad in a sleek black Armani trench coat, rocking Ray-Ban aviator shades, topped with a toothpick in mouth. The image he created instantly shot the lanky leading man into superstardom, becoming the iconic figurehead of the fabled golden-era of Hong Kong action cinema in the 1980s.

The Korean production, made with a modest budget of 10 billion won ($8.4 million), was filmed in China, Thailand, and Japan with Busan as the film’s main setting.

Joo and Song later spoke of the difficulties they experienced shooting key action sequences. “The most difficult time I had while shooting was on location in Thailand for a scene which required me to run through a puddle of water that seemed like it had been there for about 100 years,” Joo joked. “We ended up shooting that scene longer than everyone had anticipated and by the end of the day I had to be treated for a skin infection from being exposed to that puddle. The staff also got infected and had to be treated.”

For Song, it was negotiating a jump from a three-story building, landing on top of a car, and rolling off onto the jagged asphalt that was the most difficult. “Our stunt coordinator asked if I wanted to have a go at it but I was quite fearful of doing it myself. I really wanted my stunt double to do it for me,” Song said. “But when I turned to director Song for approval of my decision, he was quite adamant that I needed to do it myself.”

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-8-2010 10:24 PM | Show all posts
August 18, 2010

3 keypoints of attraction for TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal"
Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

From left, actors Jeon Tae-soo, Yu A-in, Park Min-young, Micky Yoochun, Seo Hyo-rim and Song Joong-ki
wave during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal"
held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

On August 10, statistics by AGB Nielsen Media Research revealed that SBS TV series "Giant" scored a viewership rating of 22.9 percent, beating MBC's historical drama by 1.6 percent. But "Dong Yi" brushed past "Giant" the following week by a difference of 0.3 percentage points, indicating that upcoming KBS show "SungKyunKwan Scandal" is up for tough competition when it premieres on August 30. What are the elements that will be attractive for viewers?

Micky Yoochun from a scene
in "SungKyunKwan Scandal" [KBS]

Point of Attraction 1. Micky Yoochun
The reason "SungKyunKwan Scandal" has garnered attention since its casting stages is because of Micky Yoochun's popularity -- the idol group singer will play the role of main character Lee Seon-joon from the original novel by Jung Eun-gwol. The novel, a bestseller which has sold over 500,000 copies since being published in 2007, is about the romance between four men and women set at Confucian academy SungKyunKwan during the Chosun Dynasty. Micky will play Lee the perfectionist, Song Joong-ki the sly Goo Yong-ha, Yu A-in the tough guy Moon Jae-shin and Park Min-young the woman in man disguise Kim Yoon-hee who takes a state exam in place of her sick younger brother. Thanks to the hot popularity of the original novel, numerous simulations regarding the casting had floated on the Internet and the show received increased hype when Micky Yoochun, who has almost no acting experience, was chosen to play one of the main characters. The fact that the singer has been enjoying great popularity throughout Asia from his career as a member of TVXQ may have had a considerable amount of influence on his casting since it will help the show sell overseas but director Kim Won-suk quelled possible concerns by saying, "He has a good voice and attractive features as an actor, as well as a good attitude when it comes to acting."

Song Joong-ki from a scene
in "SungKyunKwan Scandal" [KBS]

Point of Attraction 2. Synchronization Rate of Cast
Ultimately, casting is probably key to the success of "SungKyunKwan Scandal." Bringing the characters to life -- the original novel has proven they are attractive -- will act as a safety bar for the show's viewership ratings which go up and down as if on a roller coaster ride. In that sense, the combination of the four main actors is quite appealing. Song Joong-ki, who has been acknowledged by both netizens and fellow actors as being the closest in person to his character from the original novel, perfectly reenacted his role as Goo Yong-ha by joking at the show's press conference that he "woke up even after staying up all night upon hearing Miss Koreas were going to be here," and revealing wicked and sly smiles in a preview clip for the drama. Park Min-young, who said she wrapped 20 rounds of bandages around herself to hide her female figure, originally has a mid-to-low toned voice and wears almost no make-up for the series, also showed the possibility of pulling off her role as a woman in man disguise easily by showing that she is close to a being bright boy rather than a beautiful lady.

A scene from "SungKyunKwan Scandal" [KBS]

Point of Attraction 3. A cheerful historical drama with young people
Like "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" which is set in the mid-Chosun Dynasty and "Giant" in the 70s to 80s, "SungKyunKwan Scandal" too takes place at a specific time and place -- the Confucian academy SungKyunKwang during the Chosun Dynasty -- but it definitely differentiates itself in terms of concept being a historical drama about young characters. "We incorporated the romantic elements, such as the romance between four men and women and a slightly sexual love story, into the drama exactly the way it is in the original novel," director Kim Won-suk said. His words prove that the show is mainly targeted at females in the teens to thirties range and viewers who do not like the typical and serious historical dramas. How much of a change will "SungKyunKwan Scandal" bring to the competition on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Reporter : Lee Ga-on Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <&#9426;10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-8-2010 10:25 PM | Show all posts

From left, actors Yu A-in, Park Min-young, Micky Yoochun and Song Joong-ki wave during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

From left, actors Yu A-in, Micky Yoochun and Song Joong-ki pose during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

From left, actress Park Min-young and singer and actor Micky Yoochun pose during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

Singer and actor Micky Yoochun poses during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

Actress Park Min-young poses during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <&#9400; 10Asia All rights reserved> 10 Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-8-2010 11:42 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

Cutesy rulers of K-pop also dominate TV, theater, film
An analysis shows variety TV is key to an idol group’s popularity, after which many move to live theater and film

Love them or hate them, idols today are the kings and queens of Korean entertainment, dominating not just the music world but, increasingly, television and film as well.

According to an analysis by the JoongAng Ilbo and Mnet Media, an entertainment company based in Seoul, these cutesy bubblegum divas exert an enormous influence on Korea’s entertainment industry. The analysis followed the daily schedules of 11 major idol groups and concluded that variety TV programs (called yeneung in Korean) function as incubators, cueing the Korean public to the next big thing. On yeneung programs, idols show off their nonmusical charms, dancing or doing impressions.

Kim Eun-a, head of the public relations team at SM Entertainment, which manages the idol group f(X), explained, “Since each member has many different schedule obligations, it is hard to gather them together in one spot.” Like other idol groups, the five members of f(X) often host music shows or appear on reality programs.

The 11 idol groups tracked included Super Junior, Girls’ Generation, Big Bang, 2PM and 2AM, which were the most popular on Mnet’s charts between February and May. Among them, nine groups appeared on yeneung programs at least once before they topped the charts. Many are also regulars on primetime programs. For example, singer Jo Kwon is currently a regular guest on four TV programs as of this month, but his group 2AM was not very successful when it debuted in July 2008. As Jo started to appear on TV, however, doing flamboyant dance moves and offering exaggerated reactions, 2AM’s popularity began to flare.

After debuting on television on Nov. 9 last year, Jo appeared on “We Got Married,” which pairs up celebrities and provides a glimpse into what their lives might be like if they were married. When Jo joined the cast, 2AM sales sharply rose, and the group finally reached the top of the charts for the first time earlier this year with a song titled, “Can’t Let You Go Even If I Die.” “Doing these TV shows is one way to promote our songs,” said Jeong Jin-woon, another member of 2AM. Jeong also regularly appears on television as a guest.

Once idol groups reach No. 1 on the charts, the next step is to cash in by appearing in TV commercials. Then many idols expand their careers to fictional dramas, films and musicals.

Theatrical producers are happy to have the idols, because they guarantee high ticket sales. When idols are cast in musicals, an average of 96 percent of seats are filled, compared to 70 percent or lower for typical Seoul productions. Tickets for the musical “Palace,” which stars Xiah Jun-soo, a member of the disbanded idol group TVXQ, sold out in just two minutes after they went on sale earlier last month.

Jessica, a member of Girls’ Generation, took part in the musical version of “Legally Blonde” in March, and Tae-yeon, another member of the group, featured in the musical “Midnight Sun” in May. Onew, a member of SHINee, did the musical “Brothers Were Brave” in April. All the musicals turned handsome profits.

Dramas and films are idols’ favorite side jobs. T.O.P., a member of Big Bang, appeared in the TV drama “IRIS” last year and also landed a role in the film “71: Into the Fire.”

In fact, it would be inaccurate to call most of these idols “singers.” Instead, they are all-around entertainers. It’s become the norm for idols to look forward to success in show business, whether they keep pursuing their singing careers or not. “I think I will start acting in 10 years,” said Sulli, a member of f(X).

Pop music critic Im Zin-mo said, “One thing I can say for sure is that idols are the ones who sustain the nation’s K-pop scene, and they go even beyond that.

“They truly rule the whole entertainment industry,” Im said.

By Chung Kang-hyun, Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 19-8-2010 07:35 AM | Show all posts
August 18, 2010

K-pop idol Micky flies solo in drama

Torn and bruised by a series of events involving a legal battle with his agency, K-pop idol Micky ― one-fifth of the near-disbanded boy band TVXQ ― put in a confident if somewhat close-mouthed press appearance for his major acting debut in KBS’ “Seonggyungwan Scandal” on Tuesday.

“Who wouldn’t feel pressure when starting something new?” Micky, a.k.a. Park Yoo-chun, said fielding comparisons between him and other TVXQ chums that have been making the pop idol-acting crossover.

Park, Hero and Xiah filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment over their 13-year contract last July, but the court’s ruling in partial favor of the trio turned out to be little more than the calm before the storm for the boy wonder.

In April, S.M. filed a court objection to the trio’s injunction and in July slapped a suit on the head of a cosmetics company that the three members had invested in. The latter was in response to a defamation suit filed by the company against S.M.’s CEO. S.M. was cleared of all charges in May.

To add insult to injury, Park’s manager was accused of assault in late July.

Unfazed, it seems, by the brouhaha, Park jumped on board as the lead for the upcoming period piece; a move that will either prove fortuitous or rash.

TVXQ leader U-Know’s small screen debut in MBC’s “No Limit” crashed and burned, bringing in abysmal ratings; not a good harbinger for Park and for member Max who awaits his fate with the drama “Paradise Ranch.” Meanwhile, member Xiah took a safer route through the musical “Mozart!” and Hero pulled off an award-winning performance in a Japanese drama.

Park’s paltry acting experience (primarily through variety show skits and a boy band-pushing TV drama film) will most likely cast doubt on his ability to pull off this hefty role. Both director Kim Won-seok and co-star Song Joong-ki, however, expressed their faith in Park. “He has a good voice for acting and is attractive-looking,” said Kim, who cemented Park’s reputation as a budding action star by announcing that Park had level three taekwondo skills and that he “hardly used a stunt double.”

Kim then said: “He will surprise you with his slapstick comedy. He is good.” “I cannot say that I didn’t have prejudices about idols or singers who act, (Park) included,” said co-star Song. “(But) he really tries hard. It is touching.”

K-pop icon Micky (right) talks at a press conference for his new drama,
KBS’ Seonggyungwan Scandal,” in Seoul on Tuesday.

Will Park’s efforts pay off?

There is no guarantee that Park will produce a persuasive portrayal of the conceited, self-indulgent, blue blood Joseon Dynasty scholar Lee Seon-joon; especially when the singer admits that he himself lacks the anal tendencies of his character. “My personality is somewhat open and free,” the 24-year old said. “But the hidden sense of pressure (my character feels) is similar. I can relate to that.”

His ability to tune into the darker side of Lee could add depth to the romantic, gender-bender series.

Based on a novel, “Seonggyungwan Scandal” ― as its name suggests ― unfolds at the Joseon Dynasty’s premier educational institution, Seonggyungwan. Believed to be established during the Goryeo Dynasty as Gukjagam in 992, the institute was re-christened Seonggyungwan in the early 1300s.

There the male progeny of high-ranking officials and aristocrats prepared for the state examination “gwageo” and were trained for government service work. Alumni include famed scholar Yi Hwang (1501-1570), a.k.a. Toegye whose face currently decorates the 1,000 won note.

The drama, however, exhibits no pedantic pretensions.

The school, in essence, serves as a vehicle for a “Twelfth Night”-esque plotline, where a ballsy female (played by “Princess Ja-Myung” actress Park Min-young) masquerades as a man to enter Seonggyungwan in her sickly brother’s stead. There she encounters fellow student Lee Seon-joon (Park Yoo-chun) and a romance blossoms.

The male-only school backdrop also allowed for the inclusion of a bevy of good-looking actors, providing plenty of eye candy for female viewers. “Seonggyungwan Scandal,” however, promises to be more than just a frilly, one-note rom-com. “The piece will bring out the romance, the melodrama and the slight raciness of the tale while also highlighting how these youngsters perceive society and how they mature,” said director Kim, assuring the press that the series would dramatize actual aspects of the Joseon Dynasty institute.

In the meantime, cast and staff members can benefit from Park Yoo-chun’s loyal fans. According to co-star Park Min-young, hundreds of fans visit the set three times a week, bringing hoards of food for everyone. “I feel very grateful,” she said.  

“Seonggyungwan Scandal” airs on Aug. 30 at 9:55 p.m. on KBS 2 TV.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 12:59 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

(Movie Review) 'Bedeviled': disturbing revenge tale from savage isle

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, Aug. 19 (Yonhap) -- "Bedeviled" follows two women who grew up on a remote, savage island. One has never left the isle. The other has moved to Seoul and found a career, although life in the city has hardened and withered her heart. When the urbanite returns for some soul-searching with her old friend, however, her rural hometown is hardly more relaxing.

Instead, a bloody revenge tale unfolds in this feature debut by Jang Cheol-soo, Kim Ki-duk's former assistant director. Despite the film's earlier engaging examination of humanity, in the end it turns into just another bloody gore item.

Seo Young-hee plays Bok-nam with ungroomed hair and darkened skin, whose life has been bound to the pastoral island populated by villainous, violent men and hateful old women. Constantly beaten by her husband and fatigued by hard labor, Bok-nam longs to flee to Seoul with her daughter. She dreams of a city life in which she would have milky white skin and wear chic dresses like her friend Hae-won (Ji Sung-won).

But the big city harbors its own evils, and Hae-won, a bank teller, has grown edgy and withdrawn. When asked to testify on the street murder of a young woman, she turns her back. At work, she shuts herself off from human affection.

The islet she returns to for a retreat is hardly a paradise. Its isolated community proves to be a primitive epitome of human vices and evils. Beastly men routinely assault and rape Bok-nam, while her mother-in-law and women neighbors are eerily indifferent toward the mistreatment, eventually setting her on a ruthless path to revenge in the film's second half. Hae-won is her newfound comfort, but the visiting friend does not dare to get involved.

Once Bok-nam strikes back, there is a strong sense of relief that comes from the overdue punishment, but her revenge goes way too far. When her attempt to escape the island leads to her daughter's death, Bok-nam unleashes her anger and reaches out for a scythe.

The film keeps producing tension on the screen with a speedy narrative and extreme contrasts of light and shade. But its bloody scenes overflow, and its early melodramatic intensity slackens as the villains are stereotyped and the revenge drags on.

Jang said the grotesque images are a thematic tool needed to build a revenge logic.

"Personally, I'm not a person who likes gore films," he said after Wednesday's press screening in Seoul. "I began thinking it was a melodrama, and while setting the level of expression along the way, those strong scenes came about so that (the heroine's) unresolved emotions could find an outlet."

"Bedeviled" (rated 18), which was shown in the Critics' Week section at this year's Cannes Film Festival, is set for a Sept. 2 release.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 02:11 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

SS501 Kim Hyung-joon may sign with Kang Ji-hwan agency
Reporter: Park Kun-ouc Editor: Jessica Kim

SS501 member Kim Hyung-joon [DSP Media]

Boy band SS501 member Kim Hyung-joon is looking into signing with actor Kang Ji-wan's agency S Plus Entertainment.

An official at S Plus told Asia Economic Daily over the phone on Wednesday that they are reviewing whether to sign an exclusive contract with the singer which will support his activities in Korea, although emphasizing "nothing has been decided."

The official also explained, "S Plus' headquarters in Japan currently handles various affairs for Kim in Japan but that's different from signing an exlusive contract."

S Plus supports several 'Hallyu,' or Korean Waves stars in Japan including Song Seung-heon, Kang Ji-hwan and Lee Jun-ki, either managing their career in the country, creating their Japanese websites or promoting their businesses. If Kim signs with S Plus, he will become the third member of the five-man band to leave DSP Media, the agency his contract ended with in early June.

The group's leader Kim Hyung-joon was the first to find a new nest, signing with Bae Yong-joong's agency KEYEAST soon after his previous contract ended and Park Jung-min just last week joined CNR Media, a firm set up jointly by major Taiwanese drama producer Comic-Ritz and Korea's ROY MEDIA.

The boys have reassured fans SS501 will not disband despite going separate ways but the future of the band has been up in the air ever since. Other members Heo Young-saeng and Kim Kyu-jong too have yet to make a decision.

SS501 has been one of the most popular bands in Korea and in several countries in Asia since forming in 2005.

Reporter: Park Kun-ouc kun1112 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <&#9400; 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 02:16 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

"Gumiho" becomes most-watched show in China
Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

Poster for series "My Girlfriend is Gumiho" [SBS]

New Korean drama "My Girlfriend is Gumiho" starring Korea's most popular stars Lee Seung-gi and Shin Min-ah has become the most-watched show in China, according to the show's promoter IM Company on Thursday.

IM announced in a press release that the first two episodes of SBS series "Gumiho," which premiered locally on August 11, became the top show on China's PPS netTV [online TV streaming website] and on SOHU news.

The new Korean drama beat out a Japanese drama which was the previous No. 1 show on the website.

"Gumiho," a fantasy love story, is about Miho (played by Shin) who is a gumiho, a nine tailed fox that feeds on human livers, who was unleashed by Cha (played by Lee) after being imprisoned for 500 years.

The show was written by sisters Hong Jung-eun and Hong Mir-ran who previously wrote hit dramas "Minamishineyo" (SBS, 2009) and "Hong Gil-dong" (KBS, 2008).

It currently airs on the primetime slot on Wednesday and Thursday nights during the same hour as KBS '"Bread, Love and Dreams" and MBC's "Road No. 1."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <&#9400; 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 03:29 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

Jang Keun-suk to wrap up Asia tour in Korea
Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

Korean actor Jang Keun-suk for his final meeting of his Asia tour in Seoul [Tree J. Company]

Hallyu star Jang Keun-suk will be wrapping up his Asia tour in Korea next month, according to his agency Tree J. Company on Thursday.

A press release from Tree J. announced that Jang will end his six-month Asia tour at the Hwaseong Tiger Dome located in Korea University in Seoul through a final fan meeting titled "2010 Jang Keun-suk Asia Tour The Last in Seoul" on September 5.

The actor had visited numerous fans in Taiwan, Beijing, Singapore, Tokyo, Osaka and Hong Kong since March. "For six months I have received a generous amount of love from my fans all over Asia. I decided to add another date for the end of the tour because I didn't know how to say thank you to my local fans who have always been supportive of me, "Jang was quoted as saying.

An official from Tree J. explained that the tickets for the event was ranked as the most-searched item once tickets went on sale. He also said they have received inquiries from fans in Japan and China to purchase tickets for the meeting in Korea.

Jang, 23, began his career in show business at the early age of five as a catalog model. He is well-known for his roles in MBC's sitcom "Nonstop 4" (2003) and "Beethoven Virus" (2008).

He became a household name all throughout Asia last year as the eccentric lead singer of the idol group ANJELL in the hit SBS 'series "" Minamishineyo "alongside actress Park Shin-hye.

Tickets for his last fan meeting are available on Auction (www.auction.co.kr).

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <&#9400; 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 04:21 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

Micky Yoochun Debuts as Actor: ‘I Felt Pressure’
"I had felt pressure before I began acting.” -Micky Yoochun

In the production presentation of the KBS drama “SungKyunKwan Scandal,” which was held at the W Hotel located in Kwangjingu on August 17, Micky Yoochun confessed that he had felt pressure before he had made his debut as an actor. He seemed to be nervous as he said, “If the feeling was just the pressure that people tend to feel when they start something new, I would have felt glad, but it was more likely the pressure coming from the stress; I had a heavy heart before I began acting.”

Micky Yoochun will take a shot as an actor for the first time by playing the role of Lee Sun Joon, the only son in a noble family during the era of King Jeongjo in the Chosun dynasty. Sun Joon is a principled person with the sprit of scholarly fidelity and he combines both a good appearance and knowledge.

Micky Yoochun revealed that he himself had an open-minded and liberal personality, so he was far from a principled person, but when he considered that Sun Joon felt pressured from something unknown, he could say that he might be very similar to the character Sun Joon. He said, “The reason why Sun Joon had become a principled person was his father. I felt empathy with Sun Joon, who was feeling pressured by his surroundings. I also had felt pressure from my work so far. It was not the pressure originating from the feeling as a star singer, but it was more like the feeling that I was losing myself, which was not what I wanted to and intended to. But, I could reduce the pressure while I was acting. Right now, I am feeling very pleasant because I can act and involuntarily fall into acting while filming this drama.”

Since his debut in 2004, he has kept the top place as a member of the most popular male singing group, so adjusting to acting was not an easy task for him at all.

Micky Yoochun said, “As I am acting for the first time, I feel that acting for filming is totally different from acting for practicing. Expressing emotions is very difficult, but at the same time, it is very exciting. When I learned how to perform action scenes from the action director, I could picture the action scenes in my mind like dance choreography. But, as I cannot express the movement like the choreography, I tried my best to perform the actions like a real character by accepting advice from the action director.”

Regarding the name that he used in the drama title, Park Yoochun, he said, “I do not think that you need to differentiate the singer Micky Yoochun in the group Dong Bang Shin Ki from the actor Park Yoochun.”

And he did not hide his longing to stand on the stage as a singer. He said, “Not long ago, I held a concert in Japan and I could hold the microphone for a long interval after that. At that time, I felt a longing for the stage and singing. I really miss performances as a singer, and I still cannot get over the feeling of longing. My fans might have to wait for a long time from now on, and I hope that they will just enjoy this situation instead of thinking that they are waiting for me.”

Micky Yoochun said that he did not have any specific character that he wanted to play because he just wanted to be devoted to whatever role that he takes.

He said, "I have never cared about the viewer ratings. It is my first time, so I am very nervous. It would be very good if the ratings reach as high as fifteen percent. I do not have any desire for an award, but as I have already felt as a singer, I do not want to be listed as a nominee for any award if I do not win that award (laugh). But if I can win a prize with acting, the feeling would be very good and something new.”

Source: KBS Global

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 04:29 PM | Show all posts
August 18, 2010

Panel: Korean films need new approach to international
U.S too risky without distribution deal, Roy Lee says

By Park Soo-mee

Roy Lee

SEOUL – Korean films need "universal storytelling and ideas" in order to adjust to the changing media environment where users view their content through international outlets such as YouTube, Facebook and mobile phone,” said Mike Suh, the director of international finance and production for CJ Entertainment, at a local film symposium.

In “Korean Film Going Global,” organized by the Korean Film Council, Suh stressed the need for capacity and infrastructure to produce global content in order for a Korean film to survive in the international market. A drop in international sales and the plague of film piracy, however, are adding challenges for the local film industry, he added.

Yunjeong Kim of a Seoul-based film company Finecut examined case studies of Korean films that were sold abroad and presented different tastes of film genres in each continent. For example, 96% of a Korean arthouse film “Lion’s Den” was sold to European film distributors while 92% of a film starring hallyu (Korean wave) stars “Lovers Concerto” was distributed in Asia.

Kim added the following assets of marketing a Korean film: targeted approach, marketing films to fit the style of different film markets abroad, understanding the film’s selling point and uniqueness, expanding networking based on research and local infrastructure and building trust with distributors.

Roy Lee, the executive producer of Vertigo Entertainment, said more studios in the U.S. are producing fewer films each year with big budgets, instead using sequels, remakes or projects that are based on a pre-existing brands like comic books. He explained that this contraction of film production is mainly due to the dramatic increase in marketing costs in the U.S.

Lee also pointed dangers in international marketing, saying many producers rely on the film to eventually have a release in the U.S. market in order to cover for the cost when the chances of selling the film to a U.S. distributor tend to be limited.

“It is too risky to produce a film that is primarily targeting the U.S. market without having a distribution deal in place,” he said. “It is not a good business decision to move forward on a film assuming that it will eventually sell to a major studio or mini major."

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 11:40 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

Kim Tae-hee aims higher with new sports film

By Lee Hyo-won

Kim Tae-hee, left, and Yang Dong-keun appear in a scene from "Grand Prix,"
which opens in theaters on Sept. 19./ Courtesy of Sidus FNH

The success of the blockbuster TV series "IRIS" seems to have prompted Kim Tae-hee to strive for more.

"Previously I wasn’t too conscious or desperate about the size of the audience or viewership ratings, but I’m feeling a little greedier after the popularity of 'IRIS,'" the screen beauty told reporters in Seoul, Thursday, while promoting her new movie "Grand Prix." Kim shared the pressure and hopes she felt about box office scores ahead of the film’s opening on Sept. 16.

"I usually feel relaxed after wrapping up a project, but this time I have become anxious and worried seemingly due to the heavy weight on my shoulders."

Such a competitive spirit drives Kim’s screen persona as well. In “Grand Prix” Jun-heui (Kim) suffers confidence problems since an accident during an equestrian race. She decides to call it quits and leaves for Jeju Island. There she meets U-seok (Yang Dong-keun), who is experiencing similar issues, and is encouraged to enter a cutthroat competition.

Yang Yun-ho, whose filmography includes "IRIS" and films such as "Holiday" and "Fighter in the Wind," directed the movie.

Kim said pressure was high during the shoot, since it was her first time to star in a piece where the heroine has a larger role than the male lead. For her part she met and interviewed actual female equestrians. "I think they possess pure, innocent souls because they work with animals. I tried my best to portray that aspect," she said.

On working with horses, she said she was initially fearful about riding one but fortunately there were no accidents. "I was able to discover the charms of horses as I spent four or five months with them. I’d like to continue horseback riding in the future," she said.

Meanwhile Yang replaced Lee Jun-ki in the film when Lee was drafted to complete his mandatory military service. The director said that the dynamics between the male and female characters was completely edited following the change in the cast.

For Yang the movie marks his comeback since serving in the army. "I wanted to work so badly during my military service. I guess you could call it a fervent desire for acting. This is funny since I used to complain by saying, 'I don’t want to work' or ask myself, 'Should I quit?'"

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 11:44 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

MC Mong finally appears for questioning

Singer MC Mong, 31, appeared for questioning at 8 a.m., Wednesday, at the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office in Seoul. He has currently been interrogated for over four hours. The officials announced that the session will end this afternoon.

MC Mong was originally suspected of intentionally extracting molars to dodge military service in July. He was to be summoned for a further investigation in July, but the police granted him extra time for him to consult with his lawyers.

He was exempt from being drafted in 2004 due to dental issues. It was not until July that the police followed an allegation that MC Mong had illegally avoided military service. When the news came out in the media, his agency was adamant that “all actions were legitimate,” and asserted that “they will take legal action” against false reports.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 19-8-2010 11:45 PM | Show all posts
August 19, 2010

Lee Byunghun says "'Devil' makes you think of what you get out of revenge"
Senior Reporter: Kang Myoung-Seok Photographer: Chae ki-won Editor: Lucia Hong Editor : Lee Ji-Hye

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The latest movie "I Saw the Devil" is not this year's best picture. However, it is certain that “Devil” is the year's most controversial picture. Throughout the movie there are many brutal scenes combined with director Kim Ji-woon's unique sense of humor, which has been receiving mixed reviews from the Korean film industry. Along with the results of the movie, one may wonder why actor Lee Byung-hun chose this project. Why would Lee, who has successfully made his debut into Hollywood, make a choice that is dangerous as a commercial film? 10Asia sat with Lee to ask him that question.

10: What is your thoughts on "I Saw the Devil?" I heard you were quite shocked after seeing the final production of the movie during the screening.
Lee Byung-hun (Lee): It's not to the point where I was shocked. (laugh) I did feel that it was different from when I had first read the scenario because the film doesn't reveal all of the cruelty and violence. I thought that this project was unlike any other revenge film and I felt this powerful strength from just reading the script. And then in the process of filming it, I thought, oh, this might turn out to be quite hardcore. I felt a bit burdened after the screening because I started to wonder how the audience had accepted the movie and I remembered the dark and serious atmosphere from set. I was in the waiting room with actor Choi Min-sik and director Kim after the screening and we didn't say a word to each other. Choi Min-sik said one thing to me though and it was "Hey, got a light?" (laugh)

10: How did you feel when the movie received a limited screening rating?
Lee: At first I thought someone was playing a joke but then I found out that it was true and I became curious about the movie from the audience's point-of-view. I was wondering how on earth the movie had turned out.

10: Choi Min-sik said that if he became more immersed in his role, he might have gone to prison. (laugh) How did you shake off your role? You had to do a lot of cruel things for this movie.
Lee: I didn't have any big problems with it. Every actor is different to some extent and I didn't really have any big problems other than the fact that my character's mannerisms would pop out from time to time. However, I still think about the movie a lot because of the lingering feeling I have from it. It's not because the film is cruel and violent but the feelings that I felt from it are still there even after I'm done shooting the movie. The hollowness and emptiness of wondering what had happened lasts for a long time.

10: What was the reason in choosing a movie that gives you that empty feeling?
Lee: I think this is a movie that shows how a person loses a sense of who they are after losing the one they love. It seemed like the unexplainable emotions that my character Soo-hyeon felt could be worth being questioned by others and that is why the scenario was appealing to me. Any other film that is based on revenge gives a sense of satisfaction but this movie gives viewers the feeling that they are getting lost in a maze as the story develops. The audience will wonder what one gets out of revenge after looking at Soo-hyeon.

10: Soo-hyeon continuously seeks revenge on murderer Kyung-chul even though everyone around tries to stop him. Why do you think he does that?
Lee: People usually think they have to get revenge on those who have wronged them. But I think people's mannerisms change during the course of revenge. I feel this movie shows that through Soo-hyeon. A guy loses his financee who is killed in an extremely brutal way by a murderer. Everyone says that person should be ripped apart to death. Soo-hyeon also feels that he has the right to do so but in the process of seeking revenge he disrupts himself on the inside. "Devil" shows the entire details of a revenge and that is why the audience might be repulsed by it. I feel that Soo-hyeon shows why one must feel a thrill out of it but also why not.

10: You didn't have many lines but had to portray your character through slight changes to his facial expression or action. Was there anything in particular that you had to keep in mind for that?
Lee: I always thought that even in everyday life, there isn't much variety to a person's facial expressions. As for actors, it’s their job to show emotions on the outside and deliver it to the audience so I feel that they somewhat exaggerate those expressions. But with movies, even if you put on an expression which is not as strong as expressions you put on in everyday life, the emotion will be delivered just by showing that emotion. Because at those moments, our faces are shown through the extreme close-ups on the screen. I believe that if that big face contains an emotion, it'll be delivered. I think it's more important to maintain the energy in the movie rather than focusing on what expression to show.

10: "IRIS," "I Saw the Devil," "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra" are full of action sequences. But they're all completely different in terms of atmosphere and style. Why do you keep choosing to take on these sort of movies?
Lee: I don’t have any specific reasons or plans. I'm the kind of person who decides on a project if I like what I read. But "G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra" was a strategic choice. In the United States "G.I. Joe" was extremely popular among the public and I was told to just do it by many people. My agent in particular strongly suggested I do the movie. Advice that if I want to work on a Hollywood production, it is necessary to choose one like this played a big role. But I've selected other works entirely based on my emotions. I was in the highest state of confusion when I was working on "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," "I Come With the Rain" and "G.I. Joe." I separate my acting experience from before and after I starred in those movies. I used to put a lot of serious thought into choosing my next project before I starred in those movies but afterwards, I just throw myself into them. Now I'm more of a 'just do it' kind of guy.

10: How did that change come about?
Lee: I had a lot of concerns when I was filming "I Come With the Rain." I thought about it for a year because the production was delayed but I was also given the scenarios for both "G.I. Joe" and "The Good, the Bad, the Weird." I decided to work on "I Come With the Rain" at the time and I really wanted to do "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" too but it didn't fit my schedule. That is why I agreed to do the movie if they can work around my schedule and if I could star in the movie after I finished doing the first one. The director had agreed to it but it didn't happen. (laugh) I went back and forth between the sets for both movies so I ended up thinking I might as well just do "G.I. Joe" as well. (laugh) And I started wondering how many more years I have left to work passionately on various projects as an actor. It's better to do something and regret it later than regret not doing it at all. That is why I chose to do all three.

10: But those decisions saw great results.
Lee: Some people say that there's no question I'm an incredible strategist. (laugh) They say that it was great that I chose to do movies that were artistic and commercial at the same time. But I honestly chose those projects with the just do it attitude. So I think it all goes down to being lucky. There are important moments where actors have to make decisions and I think the result of those choices change the vibe that person gives off.

10: You are currently traveling several countries for your career. What are your goals for Hollywood?
Lee: First of all, I'm going to be working on the sequel for "G.I. Joe" which is scheduled to begin filming early next year. The industry there will then say this and that about me but I don't want to do a movie just because it's a Hollywood film. I know that I act the best in Korean and while I'm in Korea I will go abroad to shoot a movie if I am given a good opportunity. That is what I want to do.

10: What are you goals as an actor?
Lee: To become a trustworthy actor who seems to have some sort of other quality. I want to become an actor that people will want to see me in a movie just because I am in it even though they have no idea what it is about.

10: Wouldn't you say you have achieved that to an extent?
Lee: But "Devil" is just so violent. (laugh)

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <&#9426;10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <&#9400; 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 20-8-2010 12:19 AM | Show all posts
August 20, 2010

Proving appearance isn’t everything
Character actor Yu Hae-jin starred in four films that will be released this year alone

Actor Yu Hae-jin’s films “Moss” and “Desire to Kill” are already out here,
while his two other films, “The Unjust” and “Sleeping with the Enemy,”
are scheduled to be released later this year. [JoongAng Photo]

Actor Yu Hae-jin, 40, is far from a conventional good-looking man. The types of roles he has played reflect that: kidnapper, habitual criminal - even a dog. Though Yu is always cast in supporting roles, he often outshines his leading counterparts, gaining him the nicknames “quality supporting actor” and “the nation’s beloved supporting actor.”

And this year belongs to Mr. Quality. Two films featuring him, “Moss” and “Desire to Kill,” already opened over the last two months, and another two are scheduled for release this year: “The Unjust” and “Sleeping with the Enemy.” When asked what made him decide to act in four films this year, Yu said, “I read scripts as an audience member, not as an actor. If the story has the potential to become a good movie, I choose it.”

Yu spoke at a recent press conference held in central Seoul to promote Desire to Kill, which follows two men as they struggle to kill each other. “But another important factor was I could team up with veteran actor Chun Ho-jin,” the co-star of Desire to Kill, Yu said. “I’ve admired him for so long.”

Yu added that he had no difficulty building four different characters in one year. “As is the case with other actors, I read through the script again and again and try to immerse myself in the character. That’s how I build my characters.” In order to fill the complex role of Kim Deok-cheon in Moss, which is still playing in theaters nationwide, Yu isolated himself at a farm on Jeju Island for two weeks just to learn his four A4 pages of monologue lines, the actor said.

In Moss, Deok-cheon is an intellectually challenged local who serves as the right-hand man of the vicious village foreman Cheon Yong-deok. But the character faces a crucial moment after a four-minute monologue, where Deok-cheon vents his feelings toward Yong-deok. “I’d never seen such a long monologue in my life,” Yu said. “Once you make mistakes when you have to recite such a long line, you are bound to make errors again and again. So I had to perfectly memorize the line first. I kept wandering the farm for two weeks murmuring the lines. I found my white sneakers became jet black two weeks later.”

Yu finished the monologue scene with only one take, and he received applause from all the staff. “I was happy to finish the scene, and I also felt dizzy. When I received applause from the crew, I felt like I was standing on the stage receiving curtain calls.”

All over the world, there’s an unwritten rule in most movies: Appearance comes first, then acting skills. When as a young man Yu revealed his dream was to become an actor, even his friends snorted at him.

Yu succeeded in persuading movie industry people and picky audiences with his meaty acting. Yet now that he’s on top he has a humble attitude. “What it takes to become an actor is not all about talent. You have to think out of the box,” Yu said.

“Don’t let the audience expect you to act in certain ways. You have to show something to earn those expectations.”

By Ki Sun-min, Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-8-2010 12:47 AM | Show all posts
August 20, 2010

[MOVIE REVIEW] A shocking look at the corrosive power of evil

After his fiance is killed by a psychopath, Su-hyun (Lee Byeong-hun) decides to find out
and torture the psychopath in extreme ways. Provided by Peppermint and Company

Buy tickets to “I Saw the Devil” directed by Kim Ji-woon, and you’ll step into a cinematic butcher shop.

The hardcore violence tops all previous Korean slasher films and is sure to get “Saw” fans’ blood flowing (unfortunately). In fact, a minute and a half of cannibalism reportedly had to be cut for Korea’s censors to agree to rate the film.

A serial killer named Cheol-jung (Choi Min-sik) brutally kills the fiancee of National Security Service Agent Su-hyun (Lee Byeong-hun) and throws chunks of the body into a river. Blinded by revenge, Su-hyun pursues Cheol-jung.

The plot begins in a very conventional way. What sets it apart is the nonstop blood splatter from beginning to finish. Choi even joked at a press conference that viewers should “bring umbrellas.”

The deranged killer uses a metal cane, an axe and a gallstone in his murders, as if squashing insects. He leisurely tunes a guitar in front of a mutilated corpse. As someone once said, humans are scarier than ghosts. The amoral psychopath wandering the streets looking just like anyone else sends a chill down the spine.

Already renowned thanks to his hit “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird,” director Kim has now forever made his mark on the Korean slasher genre. Answering questions about the amount of blood in his film, Kim said: “The movie only reflects current society.” Just last week, there were two murders, one in Chungnyangni near Seoul and one in South Gyeongsang, and the news of serials killers on the run has driven Korean civilians into panic.

The gore is indeed overwhelming, but unlike in the “Saw” films, it is not purely pornographic. At first, we cheer Su-hyun’s quest for revenge, but it quickly becomes clear that he has no intention of stopping, even at an eye for an eye. The cycle of bloodletting repeats itself, having lost its purpose.

The attentive, loving look on Lee Byeong-hun’s face as he sings to his fiancee at the beginning of the film is transformed into a blank stare, filled with cold, unquenchable hatred. In taking his righteous cause too far, he loses his humanity and becomes brutalized. The message, it seems, is that evil can turn any of us into a devil if we let it.

So, “I Saw the Devil” is better compared to “Oldboy” or “Battle Royale” - films in which extreme violence is used in the service of an idea that proves just as disturbing, if not more so, than the blood itself.

It is a well made film that features excellent performances from Choi Min-sik and Lee Byeong-hun. Choi’s frightening treatment of irreversible madness is incomparable, and Lee puts his action movie skills honed in “G.I. Joe” to good enough use.

Still, the movie’s unflinching realism - particularly its treatment of rape and violence against women - troubled me deeply.

Perhaps Kim’s message is that I should be happy that it still could.

I Saw the Devil
Thriller / Korean
144 min. Now playing

By Seo So-ya Contributing writer [estyle@joongang.co.kr] l joongangdaily.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-8-2010 03:12 PM | Show all posts
August 20, 2010

[INTERVIEW] Model and actor Kim Jae-wook - Part 1-3
Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

Kim Jae-wook [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

"I don't know where he went. Whether he went to the countryside by himself, whether he went to meet his mother, or he might've been on his way to commit suicide." This was Kim Jae-wook's explanation of his character Hong Jae-wook from SBS TV series "Bad Boy" who left alone, leaving everything behind. This man who had always been the first to take on the most 'hot' and trendy roles as proven in MBC drama "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" and film "Antique," always turned his back on the spotlight headed towards him. And he then showed a new side to him through "Bad Boy" by playing an heir of a conglomerate who is temperamental and acts the way he pleases, yet on the inside is actually craving for affection. But despite his jobs as being a model, actor and musician, the most attractive aspect to Kim is Kim Jae-wook himself. 10Asia took a peak into the interesting world that this 27-year-old man lives in.

10: It's been about two weeks since shooting for "Bad Boy" has ended. How have you been since then?
Kim Jae-wook: It feels like it's been more than a month. I did nothing but sleep. I'm tired no matter how much I sleep and the fatigue won't go away. When I'm working on a drama or movie, the thought that I'll get to meet so and so and do this and that when I'm done, is in a way sort of the hope and drive that keeps you going but now that I'm actually done, my body can't keep up. I feel lethargic about everything right now.

10: Does it have anything to do with the style of the drama or the role you played?
Kim: The thing is, it's hard to make a judgement on that. When I was done filming "Antique," there was definitely a process and time it took to shed off my character but I just wasn't quite aware of it when I was actually in that situation. You realize it once you let go of the character completely. Right now, I'm not sure. And put aside what others think, I myself sometimes wonder to myself whether I've already caught the actor disease when I'm not even anybody yet. Also, from a realistic standpoint, things didn't end the way I planned them to so that's also why it feels like I haven't come to a complete stop.

10: But of all the different work that you've done so far including modeling, music and even movies, dramas are the most popular genre. What was the response from people around you?
Kim: The funny thing is, I had monitored the show with Kim Nam-gil and Han Ga-in, and after the show goes on air, they'd receive piles of text messages from the chief of their agencies, friends, mothers... And they would say what was good and what was bad but never once did I get such messages. I guess I haven't lived my life properly. (laugh) When I talk to people around me for something else, they'd just say, "I saw you on the show briefly. You were pretty good." Even my own parents sent a text message once, after the first show, saying they saw me and when I asked later on why they wouldn't call me after the shows air, she said, "Why, do I have to? I saw you, I did. I just expected you to be busy." (laugh)

10: How was it working on Korea-Japan co-production "The Love of Pygmalion" with director Kim Yoon-chul? He's probably the person that thought the hardest about how to utilize an actor who isn't used to the TV camera.
Kim: I'm actually quite... the type that bothers the director a lot on set. It was like that with director Min Kyu-dong for "Antique" and with director Lee Hyung-min too. Other people might think we're fighting (laugh) but I'm always asking "Why?" But I never had to do that for "Pygmalion." I was cast for the movie in mid-December and we talked about every single scene so much, for almost a month and a half until we went into shoot, that my script was almost in shreds. Because we had talked about everything, I had a firm trust in him when I went onto the set so when the director says something, I'd say okay right away. I wanted to die because we shot under an extremely tight schedule but I think I felt very comfortable on set.

10: "Bad Boy" is almost the first time a role you've played has been involved in romance properly.
Kim: That's right. It was fun. I feel this everytime I take on a role but I'm very lucky when it comes to people so all of the actors were such great people that we came to be close enough not to misunderstood each other no matter what was said. It was very comfortable acting with them. And I actually become so close with Han that she said she actually felt uncomfortable shooting our kissing scene. (laugh)

10: In that sense, your relationship seemed like that of brother and sister rather than a man and woman.
Kim: I think it rubbed off from how I usually treat her. For example, if we were given detailed directions, we'd do what we've been told to. But in a situation where we have more freedom, it's up to the actors to show the changes in expression or create the atmosphere. If there's a kissing scene, there's a subtle change in the atmosphere before and after it, but it's no use calculating what you should do after that because what comes after that depends on how that kissing scene is shot. You could treat the other person more gently or become like a child. That's why we just concentrated on each other for each scene based on the most basic frame. We'd do ad-libs to the point that it wouldn't be problematic, that would change how the other person responds and then you start forming things that only you two know. We had fun doing the acting but I don't know what viewers might have thought of it. (laugh)

10: Have you been given a more diverse range of scenarios or projects since "Bad Boy"?
Kim: I was given a lot of roles along the lines of the pretty boy from "Coffee Prince" when that ended and then similar roles to the gay patisserie I am in "Antique" after that was shown. The funny things is, I was wondering whether things would change a bit after "Bad Boy" but I think I haven't been given very different roles yet. And I actually haven't been able to look closely into the scenarios. I think I'd have a hard time feeling, "Oh! I like this!" in my current state... It would probably be closer to "Ha... I guess I should do this one..." I think I won't have an easy time making new choices for the time being.

10: You lived in Japan when you were young so you pulled off your lines in Japanese very easily in "Bad Boy." Being able to speak a foreign language also means you're open to more opportunities. Are you interested in any other languages regardless of how practical it is?
Kim Jae-wook: I do think I'm much more interested than other people. And I really want to speak English and Spanish well but the problem is that the desire is stronger than the effort I put in. (laugh) I don't have to sound like a native, I just wish I could deliver my opinion, but I don't study it separately because I'm lazy. And I relieve my stress of having to study by watching "Friends." I turn it on, thinking I'll start by working on my listening skills, and end up just listening the whole time while moving around the house.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-8-2010 03:12 PM | Show all posts

10: I heard that you spoke almost no Korean when you first returned to Korea around the time you entered elementary school. It must've been very stressful not being able to speak your native language at that age.
Kim: Hmm... This is from a very long time ago but my dad and older brother actually spoke Japanese well but not my mom. So me and my mom communicated in a very weird way and instead, I think I knew how to communicate with Koreans who don't speak any Japanese. I learned the Korean alphabet only after I got into school, while everyone else was learning what one plus one is, but kids young early at that age.

10: The strict rules and uniform system of Korean middle and high schools is difficult for even normal Korean students to bear. I heard you tended to ask many questions about irrational regulations regarding clothing or hair when you were in school. I'm curious to know how you beared through those times because such conflict leads to extreme clashes or the student quitting school.
Kim: Once, when I was in middle school, I told my parents that I might not go to high school while we were in the car on our way to eat out. My dad isn't the type that interferes with my life but for the first time that day, I remember him saying, "But still, how about you study humanities in high school?" And being able to join a band when I go to high school played a big part too.

10: You already knew you'd be able to?
Kim: Because my brother was a bassist at a band in Seoul High School. So I was thinking I'd go to Seoul High School too and join that band but I ended up being assigned to Dankook High School.

10: It seems like joining the band was more important to you than going to high school?
Kim: I think that was sort of was the case. (laugh) Luckily, there was a band with tradition at Dankook too so I think I probably stayed in school thanks to getting into that band. I actually wasn't even going to college up till my senior year of high school. I've hurt my mom before from not going to school. I wasn't the trustworthy student.

10: Were you under any sort of determination when joining the band? Or have any thoughts on what you'd do if you didn't get in?
Kim: No. I was only thinking that I must get in.

10: Did you think you'd get in?
Kim: ... Yes. (laugh)

10: How was the audition?
Kim: The auditions took place at a classroom, on top of the teacher's table. Unaccompanied. Students trying out as vocalists all sat in a row at the back and sang in front of the juniors and seniors one by one. I remember being extremely nervous because it was the first time I was singing in front of someone for a certain purpose. I don't think I was that nervous the first time I walked the runway.

10: You started modeling in your junior year of high school too. It's a very common job now but it must've been very rare that a high school student was a model back then.
Kim: That's right. I wasn't even interested in fashion then, all I wanted to do was music, and it started with one or two shots in a magazine. Somehow things got serious but it wasn't as if I had graduated an academy and I hadn't even learned to walk when I went on my first show. I was a mess. (laugh) Now that I think about it, I don't know where I got the nerves to do it.

10: Many people like you who like music, especially rock and are in a band, decide that music is their path and will be their lifetime job. You majored in applied music in college as well.
Kim: I think I was like that up till high school. I'm sure there are lots of people like me but I really blindly idolized Kurt Cobain. It was to the extent that I thought I want to die like him when I'm 27 after releasing just three or four albums. There was even a time when I had an inferiority complex about my family being so happy. I was an immature high school kid who used to try to rationalize by thinking, 'You need to live that kind of life to make that sort of music and release that sort of energy. That's the only thing I lack in.' (laugh)

10: But it seems like you've been making choices which show you're not swayed too much by what people say and just do what you think is important instead of what people say you're good at. Have you ever thought , 'I made the choice but quite tiring and difficult living like this'?
Kim: I haven't. I'd be lying if I said I've never thought that but if I hadn't [done what I've done], I think I would've had a much harder time. I think I would have been agonized everyday if I had made the wrong choice just because I didn't want to stand out and go with the flow of the times or submit to someone's pressure. And I don't want to live like that.

10: The entertainment industry is a place where you start building up on your career the moment your face gets known. But it seems like the way you have worked till now is to push out popularity or practical things as much as possible. Even with the image you gained from "Coffee Prince" or "Antique," people usually try to utilize that and make the most of it, not lay it aside. So it seems as if at one point, you might leave behind everything that you've achieved so far with no regrets, and disappear. What are the thoughts you have behind all that? I won't die even if I don't do this? I can become more happy doing something else?
Kim: I think it's actually the opposite. If I think about whether there is something I could concentrate on as hard as I do on what I do right now, there isn't. I once taught aspiring models for about a year. I'm not the type that is good at teaching people so I just told them about my experiences and once said, "Put aside money or reputation, I want to be someone who can quit my job when I can think, 'There's nothing more to suck out of me.'" Then one student lashed out at me saying, "Do you think that's realistically possible? Why are you trying to be so cool like that?" In a way, I think it's only natural that the student responded like that. But I do hope to be the principal agent of my life. I think that's the last string that I will keep hanging onto. I think I'd become a component the moment I let go of it.

10: But I think if you're in a system which tries so hard to turn people into components, it's hard in itself just trying not to become one. And people age.
Kim: Yes, as people age, they want more stability and there are things they have to protect. But there are too many things I haven't been able to do with the energy that I have right now. It's too early for me to say I can find another form of energy from that. As of now, I'm not sure whether when I'm in my thirties, that I will proudly be able to say 'I was like this in my twenties' or feel embarrassed about having been so immature.

10: But with music, especially if you're comparing yourself with someone like Kurt Cobain, I think it's a genre where you can see the limit of your talent very clearly. Have you ever thought of that?
Kim: I've felt it from a long time ago. I think it's an excuse to say I haven't been able to concentrate my energy on one field, that's just the lmit to what I can do but I cling onto it. And because that's when I feel the most alive. But I don't think I would've said all of this if I was younger. I had been living such a risky and competitive life till now that the moment I admitted to it, I might have become crushed. Now, I think I've become more at ease compared to then. And I both like it and dislike it. It makes me think whether I'm just becoming like everyone else, that I'm losing my uniqueness.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

8-5-2024 04:44 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.127174 second(s), 41 queries .