Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: munyhamasaki

Lemah dalam Bahasa Inggeris??

[Copy link]
Post time 4-3-2010 11:36 PM | Show all posts
53# marumaru

thanks everyone for welcoming me here.
Aha for the past 5 years I've been leaving in a community where English is not widely used. Plus some more are my own mistake; I'm quite a shy person. I hardly use English. It depends, sometimes I can speak English quite fluent and sometimes it is very poor...hehe..

By the way you all are die-hard fan of Japan drama right??hehe. I'm more into K-Drama compared to Japan one. But I also found that some of their drama are also interesting such as Nodame Cantabile and Hana Kimi. Their story is more about life while Korean is more about love. That's my own opinion though.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-3-2010 12:04 AM | Show all posts
It's according to what you had watched in the term of the scenes (babak2). If the person said, "this is madness," I guess, he's referring to the battle since you mentioned the title of the movie

It's 300, the movie about battles between the Persians and the Romans.... You can use the phrase when you see around that the situation is in haywire (kacau bilau), "this is madnesssss!!!" Or maybe you can ask people back, "what kind of madness is this?!"

"To infinity and beyond," infinity means endless space, number or time... Infinity is actually a mathematical theory and quite a philosophy itself for philosophers... according to a humanist whose name is Lucia Hall, she said that this term is a slightly diversion of another phrase which is "all this and heaven too."

"All this and heaven too" basically means a person who enjoys his earthly life while in the same time, having an afterlife (menikmati kehidupan keduniaan tanpa meninggalkan kehidupan menuju akhirat). They had linked the meaning of this phrase to a plot in Toystory and voila (here you are), it was "to infinity and beyond!" The meaning is still the same or more or less the same

Good one Marumaru!!!! you've raised a good topic on philosophy too

Use magic Report

Post time 5-3-2010 12:10 AM | Show all posts
I can see you can speak japanese as well....
why dont you join us at the converse japanese thread...
I am sure you will brush up your japanese language in no time and maybe you could teach me japanese too...

Urrr, I have lack of confidence if it comes to Japanese. I guess it's a good idea to join you in Japanese thread. Last time, it seems that there weren't many people there although it could be interesting if everybody could join the thread. I have to recall again what I learned, LOL, quite a tough job...

Use magic Report

Post time 6-3-2010 07:48 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by marumaru at 6-3-2010 08:55

genot, thanks for the compliment, I am really flattered..
But it was your idea to quote phrases from movies or dramas right? So I am just doing what you are suggesting us to do...nothing much really....

I never knew it has a philosophy meaning... the phrase just got glued in my head because Toy story is one of my son"s favourite movie and we watched it at least 127 times LOL I never count it anyway... thank you very much for the detailed explanations and I am sure naikAntena is satisfied too with the explanations...

By the way, I have watched some of the episodes of Cougar Town on Youtube...and I love it although I could not understand much of their jokes...but I really had a good laugh though...
and guess what I am looking forward to renting their CDs from the video rental shop soon...really cant wait to watch all the episodes...

And also I have looked up for urban dictionary yesterday...and I find there are a lot of interesting words there...whenever I am free, I will check it out more often...

Thanks a lot for your time and efforts to teach us here....really appreciate it much...

Use magic Report

Post time 6-3-2010 08:21 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by marumaru at 6-3-2010 08:57
53# marumaru

thanks everyone for welcoming me here.
Aha for the past 5 years I've been leaving in a community where English is not widely used. Plus some more are my own mistake; I'm quite a sh ...
carsein Post at 4-3-2010 23:36

no need to thank us...It is our hobby to welcome people here...

so you have been living in a country where English is not widely spoken and you like Korean dramas very much, right?
I think I could guess where you have been living for the past five years...you were in South Korea, right?
no need to answer it if you think it is a private matter... I wont mind at all... I just cannot help myself from sticking my nose in somebody else's business sometimes...

I enjoy both Japanese drama and Korean drama... But I am into more sad romantic ones...
because I really feel good after having a good cry watching it...kind of a weirdo, huh?
the latest drama that I had a great time crying is Innocent  Love... I cant remember how many boxes of tissue I had spent for it...but I am sure no less than 10 boxes

So here is the opening theme for the drama...Hope all of you would enjoy it...
I hope sir genot would not be mad because it is not an English song...

so feel free to talk about anything at all here... until then..

Use magic Report

Post time 6-3-2010 02:06 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by genot at 6-3-2010 14:11

LOL, I don't mind at all.... even you can put those videos of Japanese or Korean who speak English... we can learn about others' slang too so we could understand them when we communicate with them in the future... and I'm pretty sure they would give us a good laugh too....

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 6-3-2010 02:56 PM | Show all posts
okay genot...thanks...

Use magic Report

Post time 9-3-2010 08:10 AM | Show all posts
just want to share one of my favorite songs...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 9-3-2010 12:32 PM | Show all posts

Edit my Reply

Post Last Edit by blazerder at 9-3-2010 12:42

[url = http://mforum3.cari.com.my/redirect.php?goto=findpost &; pid = 36604121 & ptid = 445133rd] 24 # [/ url] naikAntena [/ i] [/ b]

Compared to most people on this Thread, you are doing very well with Indonesia! It appears that most of the thread is in Malay language or maybe it's SMS slang. I am not sure since I do not speak Bahasa. I do want to learn Malay language so, if someone wants to learn Bahasa or practice with me and will help me with some language, I think it will be a good trade.

I have a CD with Malay language but I do not have the smooth flow of the language. It sounds very Lyrical (musical).

Thank you for your reply because I now understand what was being said on the thread.
Blazerder

I had to come back to edit this because Google finally translated the thread and I see it's talking about English Slang....

"To Infinity and Beyond" from Toystory.  This phrase actually is talking loosely about outer space.....  We are taught that space has no end, it continues into infinity (something with no ending) so the slang "To Infinity and Beyond" is sort of saying we're going beyond something with no end....which would be as far as anyone could possibly go.  It basically means "We have no boundaries.  We can do anything and go anywhere."

Let me know if you want any English translated or, if you can help me with Bahasa or know of a good place to learn Bahasa Malay!  I live in Cyberjaya....
Blazerder

Use magic Report

Post time 9-3-2010 05:48 PM | Show all posts
wow, thanks miss maru, I love Julie Andrews... brings me back to the good old days when we watched Mary Poppins and her magic umbrella...

Use magic Report

Post time 15-3-2010 11:03 AM | Show all posts
best tgk korg sume boleh berbahasa inggeris.. dlu ms keje private slalu jgk gunakan english by using email, phone conversation tp la nie bl msk govemnt jer terus abis.. rsnya skang nie amat jarang2 dh gunakan english camne nk handle mslh tue ek??

evironmnt keje govermnt terlalu jarang gunakn english pastu mcm ada forumer ckp learning english by reading newspaper, listening radio etc tp bl bc paper nie normally sy bc tajuk2 yg best jer just read only klu ada word yg x paham just ignore..klu dgr radio plak cuma bl ada lagu2 yg best bl deejay atau iklan trus tkr chanel lain plak..

ada sesapa yg bleh bg tips atau cr yg btl utk sy blajar english dgn baik step by step yg btl,, sy rs semangat blajar english nie kdg2 meluap2 bkn main semangat tp bl dh tgk newspaper tebal2 mls plak just bc yg mana best pastu trus simpan..

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 09:20 AM | Show all posts
wow, thanks miss maru, I love Julie Andrews... brings me back to the good old days when we watched Mary Poppins and her magic umbrella...
genot Post at 9-3-2010 17:48

you are welcome, sir genot...
I grew up with her movies and singings too...
I have watched mary poppins and the sound of music quite a lot but still doesn`t get bored watching them...
there is must be a magic spell she cast on me in her singings...

actually, I am a mrs...
I am married already, therefore it should be mrs, right?
but I am really flattered when you called me miss...
It makes me feel younger again.. at heart..

thank you very much

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 09:35 AM | Show all posts
best tgk korg sume boleh berbahasa inggeris.. dlu ms keje private slalu jgk gunakan english by using email, phone conversation tp la nie bl msk govemnt jer terus abis.. rsnya skang nie amat jarang2 dh ...
lostnfaun Post at 15-3-2010 11:03

In my opinion, taking a formal English class would be the best way to learn English...especially if the teacher is a native speaker...you could your pronunciation at the same time...

in the previous posts, some suggested to read more English materials and always bring along the dictionary or thesaurus in our bag so that we could look up the words that we are sure what the meaning are right on the spot...
or maybe watch English movies or dramas as suggested by sir genot and mr redsinner if I am not mistaken..

as you can see, my English is terrible too, mistakes everywhere, but I chose to voice out whatever on my mind here, hoping my English would improve gradually... I don`t know if it`s going to work...

so, that is all for now...
I hope this could help...
nice to meet you  

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 09:44 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by blazerder at 9-3-2010 12:42

http://mforum3.cari.com.my/redirect.php?goto=findpost &; pid = 36604121 & ptid = 445133rd] 24 # [/ url] naikAntena [/ i] [/ b]

Compared to most peo ...
blazerder Post at 9-3-2010 12:32

thank you for the explanation on the phrase...
I never knew it has two meanings...

By the way, have you found the place to learn Malay language?

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 10:57 AM | Show all posts
In my opinion, taking a formal English class would be the best way to learn English...especially if the teacher is a native speaker...you could your pronunciation at the same time...

in the pre ...
marumaru Post at 16-3-2010 09:35

thanks marumaru,,so hw long u already take to fluent in english? normally wat u do to improve ur english?

nice to meet u too

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 11:16 AM | Show all posts
thanks marumaru,,so hw long u already take to fluent in english? normally wat u do to improve ur english?

nice to meet u too
lostnfaun Post at 16-3-2010 10:57

as you can see I am not fluent at all...
It is still bad..how ashamed

actually,  I don`t do much to brush up my English...
all I ever done is reading Readers` Digest, watching English movies and chatting here in this thread...
but people just don`t come in here lately...I wonder why...was it something I said or did I talk too much nonsense?

I enjoyed watching English movies with English subtitles so that I could understand what they are saying especially if the talk too fast or too much...I find this quite helpful...maybe you would want to try too..

other than that, I just listen to the English songs...

now I am looking forward to borrowing the dramas` CDs from the rental video shop...
but still could not find the time to go there... moreover, the shop is a mountain away which is quite far...

I guess that is all I did for now...I hope this would be helpful...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-3-2010 11:48 AM | Show all posts
hello lostnfaun, hope you are not in despair over your deteriorating english, because there is always numerous of ways to improve and maintain your english.

i used to join my university debate club and we meet others who would like to talk and argue in english. this way you would get new friends and also expand your horizon.

like marumaru suggested, reading readers digest is also another way because it is not as 'heavy' as the NST or the Star. readers digest is just little and this way you could concentrate on one full article. usually an article is around 500-1000 words so not too much.

likewise, you also have to practice writing and this forum is a good place to start. good luck lostnfaun!

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 11:54 AM | Show all posts
haha, marumaru...its ok. probably everyone is just busy, not because of what you said.

if you are wondering about me, i have started learning french. i think it makes me conscious of my english too.

french is very similar to english nevertheless there are some verbs and tenses that made me go crazy.

keep up the good conversation going marumaru. i loved that everyone is having fun here.

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 12:11 PM | Show all posts
despair - putus asa
deteriorating - teruk,buruk

thanks redsinner, sumtime i felt like to hav fren who can spoke english with me but i hard to find..normally they rather spoke malay than english...

Use magic Report

Post time 16-3-2010 12:14 PM | Show all posts

as you can see I am not fluent at all...
It is still bad..how ashamed

actually,  I don`t do much to brush up my English...
all I ever done is reading Readers` Digest, watching English m ...
marumaru Post at 16-3-2010 11:16

how long u maintain coz sometime we will feel lazy to learn english myb at first we very xcited to learn but aftr a few time the spirit will decrease slowly...how to overcome that situation n feeling???

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 08:02 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.060521 second(s), 41 queries .