CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: rosannazmia

whitney houston dead at 48

[Copy link]
Post time 17-2-2012 06:15 AM | Show all posts
Whitney Houston: N.J. governor stands by decision to lower flags                                        February 16, 2012 | [size=130%]11:39                am       

9

18

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, no stranger to controversy, is standing firm in his decision to fly flags at half-staff on behalf of Whitney Houston, despite complaints that the late pop singer should not have that recognition because of her history of drug problems.

The governor has ordered flags at government buildings to be flown at half-staff Saturday, the day of Houston’s funeral at the Newark, N.J., church where she sang as a child. The body of the 48-year-old musical icon was found Saturday in the bathtub of her guest room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.

There has been no ruling on the cause of death, but officials have said there were “no obvious signs of criminal intent.” Toxicology tests are under way to determine if drugs were involved.

Houston, in television interviews, had acknowledged past drug and alcohol problems and the fact that she had been in rehabilitation. Such problems were one reason for complaints about Christie’s decision to lower the flags.

Christie, who has built a national reputation for his pugnacious charm, refused to give ground to opponents. He told critics that Houston had made significant cultural contributions to the state.

“For those people who say, ‘I don’t think she deserves it,’ I say to them, 'I understand that you don’t think that. I do, and it’s my executive order,' " Christie said this week.

“I’ve seen these messages and emails that have come to me disparaging her for her troubles with substance abuse,” Christie said. “What I’d say to everybody is: There but for the grace of God go I.”

On Thursday, Christie’s decision was backed by FOX News commentator Bill O'Reilly, who has been outspoken about Houston's death and her use of drugs.

In an interview on NBC’s “Today” show, O’Reilly said it was right to lower the flags and also urged society to deal more forcefully with drug abuse.

“I think we should respect the life and talent of Whitney Houston. I said a prayer when I heard she died. This isn't a personal thing. This is a preventive thing. I want society and media to tell the truth about drug and alcohol addiction,” O’Reilly said. “Let's stop exploiting it and start explaining it.”

The other argument levied against the governor is that a pop singer doesn’t have the standing in society to merit the lowering of the flags.

In response, Christie noted that he has ordered flags flown at half-staff for all 31 fallen New Jersey soldiers and every slain police officer during his time in office.

He also ordered flags lowered last year for Clarence Clemons, the saxophonist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.
Houston’s funeral will be private, but the Associated Press will have a video camera inside and will stream the service.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-2-2012 06:18 AM | Show all posts
Reply 99# tebuanharimau

hebat...
klu kuat lagi promosi, silap2 leh dpt no.1 balik...

mujurlah adele sapu byk anugerah masa grammy aritu..
jadi dpt promosi percuma sekali lagi ats album & juga single2nya...

tgk balik itunes td, album Greatest Hit jatuh balik no.2 di bwh album Adele - #21
single IWALY pun jatuh no.3  di bwh lagu Katy dan Adele...

Use magic Report

Post time 17-2-2012 06:26 AM | Show all posts
Analysis: Whitney Houston's Billboard Chart Records              February 11, 2012        By Gary Trust, New York        
Following the news of      Whitney     Houston's passing today (Feb. 11), here is a look back at     the many chart achievements that the gifted vocalist     accomplished.     

* The Houston-led soundtrack to "The Bodyguard" stands as the     longest-reigning album by a woman in the 56-year history of the     survey.     

Exclusive:     Whitney Houston's Last Songs to Be Featured in 'Sparkle'     Film     

Here is a look at the elite albums by solo females to have     spent the most time atop the tally:     

Weeks at No. 1, Title, Artist, Year Reached No. 1     
      20 weeks, "The Bodyguard" soundtrack/Whitney Houston, 1992     
      19 weeks, "21," Adele, 2011 (*currently at No. 1)     
      15 weeks, "Tapestry," Carole King, 1971     
      14 weeks, "Whitney Houston," Whitney Houston, 1986     
      13 weeks, "Judy at Carnegie Hall," Judy Garland, 1961     
      12 weeks, "Jagged Little Pill," Alanis Morissette, 1995     
      12 weeks, "Fearless, " Taylor Swift, 2008     
      11 weeks, "Mariah Carey," Mariah Carey, 1991     
      11 weeks, "Whitney," Whitney Houston, 1986     
      10 weeks, "Forever Your Girl," Paula Abdul, 1989     
      10 weeks, "The Singing Nun," the Singing Nun, 1963     

Houston is the only woman to have tallied reigns of more than     10 weeks with multiple albums. While no other woman has more     than one such set, Houston had three: "The Bodyguard" (20     weeks), "Whitney Houston"(14)  and "Whitney" (11).     
           Whitney Houston's 20 Biggest Singles on the Billboard Hot     100     

With Houston also leading for a week in 2009 with her last     studio album, "I Look to You," her 46 total weeks at the     Billboard 200 summit are the most among women.     

* Four years before the practice became the norm upon the     advent of Nielsen SoundScan electronic point-of-sale data,     Houston scored the first No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 for a     female performer.     

The week of June 27, 1987, "Whitney" launched at the chart's     top spot, where it held for its first 11 weeks. It remained in     the top 10 for its first 31 weeks, through Jan. 23, 1988.     

* Houston holds the Billboard Hot 100 record for most     consecutive No. 1 singles, having tallied seven in-a-row from     1985 through 1988.     

Here is a look at her unequaled chart-topping streak:     

Date Reached No. 1, Title (Weeks at No. 1)     
      Oct. 26, 1985, "Saving All My Love for You" (one)     
      Feb. 15, 1986, "How Will I Know" (two)     
      May 17, 1986, "Greatest Love of All" (three)     
      June 27, 1987, "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)"     (two)     
      Sept. 26, 1987, "Didn't We Almost Have It All" (two)     
      Jan. 9, 1988, "So Emotional" (one)     
      April 23, 1988, "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" (two)     

Even when her streak ended, Houston's next four solo singles     all reached the Hot 100's top 10. (She missed only with "It     Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be," a sassy superstar     duet with Aretha Franklin).     

With 11 career Hot 100 No. 1s each, Houston and Rihanna trail     only Mariah Carey (18) and Madonna (12) for the most among     women. Janet Jackson rounds out the category's top five with 10     leaders.     

* Houston's "Exhale (Shoop, Shoop)" is one of only 13 songs by     women to have debuted at No. 1 in the Hot 100's history.     

The song, from the "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack, opened atop     the Nov. 25, 1995, Hot 100.     

"Exhale" also led Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for eight frames,     becoming one of her eight No. 1s on the tally.     

Houston additionally notched 10 leading titles on Adult     Contemporary, making her one of just seven artists to reach the     double-digit mark in the chart's 51-year archives.     

* When Houston's remake of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love     You" wrapped its 14-week run atop the Hot 100 in 1993, the song     stood as the longest-leading title since the chart's Aug. 4,     1958, inception.     

To-date, only Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's "One Sweet Day"     (16 weeks, 1995-96) has surpassed the reign (also matched by     five other songs).     

Said Parton, who wrote "Always," upon Houston's passing, "Mine     is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of     Whitney Houston. I will always be grateful and in awe of the     wonderful performance she did on my song.     

"I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, 'Whitney, I will     always love you.'     

"You will be missed."

Use magic Report

Post time 17-2-2012 09:29 AM | Show all posts
Reply  mamiayu

laaaa....ye ke?? selama ni mati2 aku ingat lagu tu memang lagu whitney!!

perca ...
ruffleen Post at 16-2-2012 09:24

ko nih patut dgr lite n easy skali skala...asyik layan rock kapak je...LOL

Use magic Report

Post time 17-2-2012 10:08 AM | Show all posts
moga-moga penyanyi pujaan aku, Celine Dion tidak berakhir hayatnya dengan cara ini jugak...
eaey Post at 17-2-2012 00:56

keberangkaliannya tipis ... celine bersih ... whitney pula sejak zaman modeling lagi dah terlibat dadah ...

Use magic Report

Post time 17-2-2012 10:59 AM | Show all posts
Reply  tebuanharimau

hebat...
klu kuat lagi promosi, silap2 leh dpt no.1 balik... ...
dauswq Post at 17-2-2012 06:18

Album Adele 19 pun masuk carta balik...

Whitney masuk top 200 album dgn Greatest Hits

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 17-2-2012 04:51 PM | Show all posts
xde bezanya, selama dia idop pun aku xpenah beli CD dia...

Use magic Report

Post time 18-2-2012 08:55 PM | Show all posts
ingatkan orang2 miskin jer amik dadah nih, orang popular cam diorang pun sama juge..

aku suke lagu2 dia nih dulu, sedap2 dan tak boring dengar sampai sekarang.. my fav One Moment in Time..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 18-2-2012 10:37 PM | Show all posts
lagu2 Whitney semua aku suka....

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 11:00 AM | Show all posts
sapa2 penyanyi/pelakon yg terjebak dgn dadah mesti end up like this..contohnya heath ledger, kurt kobain, MJ..dan ramai lagi rasanya..

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 03:20 PM | Show all posts
dadah memang pemusnahhhhh

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 03:44 PM | Show all posts
i will always luv uuuuu ...sebak time neh wehh...

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 03:49 PM | Show all posts
R Kelly - I Look to You

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 04:00 PM | Show all posts
Whitney Houston's boyfriend: Ray J emotionally reaches out to her coffin at the end of her funeral. The rapper put his hand out and touched the casket as it passed him down the aisle of the church, before collapsing into his seat overcome with emotion

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 04:01 PM | Show all posts
Final journey: Whitney Houston's silver casket was carried out as her greatest hit I Will Always Love You was played

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 04:02 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 19-2-2012 04:03 PM | Show all posts
High-profile guests: The tragic star's former husband Bobby Brown, left, arrives at the service with friends and family members, who were moved by security.

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 04:05 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 04:05 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 19-2-2012 04:07 PM | Show all posts
Kevin Costner's emotional speech in full at Whitney Houston's funeral

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Dividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
AbahmungDividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
Views : 1718 Replies : 0
'Raja Jalanan' Myvi tewas kepada Bezza pada 2023
ultra78'Raja Jalanan' Myvi tewas kepada
Views : 9488 Replies : 28
Emma Maembong mohon maaf, tersilap langkah 'voice note' Ruhainies isu Bella Astillah
YgBenarEmma Maembong mohon maaf, tersilap langk
Views : 5956 Replies : 63
Belum masanya Malaysia laksana aturan waktu kerja fleksibel
ultra78Belum masanya Malaysia laksana aturan wa
Views : 6218 Replies : 20
Janji manismu
maklukpenggodaJanji manismu
Views : 25419 Replies : 2
Kekecohan Ada pemandu yg membunyikan hon sewaktu ketibaan jenazah komander firdaus di masjid sungai nibong
YgBenarKekecohan Ada pemandu yg membunyikan hon
Views : 4714 Replies : 15
Penyondol Tetap Isteri Sah, Boleh Tuntut Hak’ – Kenyataan Watak Imani Dalam ‘Lelaki Itu’ Mula Dibenci Netizen
YgBenarPenyondol Tetap Isteri Sah, Boleh Tuntut
Views : 13226 Replies : 172
'Diam sajalah Sanusi'
maklukpenggoda'Diam sajalah Sanusi'
Views : 5021 Replies : 8
Restoran Kantan Datin Isma
AngelFreakyAFRestoran Kantan Datin Isma
Views : 17996 Replies : 89
Betul ke tu….cinter?
stingerkentotBetul ke tu….cinter?
Views : 16382 Replies : 15

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

25-4-2024 01:05 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.073194 second(s), 42 queries .