Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: amikie

~IngiN TaHu MeNgEnAi ArTiS bOLLyWoOd-Part II~

Close [Copy link]
Post time 29-4-2013 02:48 PM | Show all posts
QSQT turns 25, Juhi Chawla takes a stroll down memory lane

"Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak" (QSQT) - a film of many firsts - completes 25 years of its release and its lead actress Juhi Chawla still relishes the time spent on the sets and says none of them knew "how the film would turn out".

QSQT was director Mansoor Khan and actor Aamir Khan's debut vehicle as director and actor, respectively. Juhi too got recognition with the tragic love saga after a miniscule role in "Sultanat".

"Mansoor Khan called just the other day to say we're going to have a reunion of the film's cast and crew. And I was like, my god! Is it really 25 years of QSQTe Wow! I feel so young when I say this (laughs)," said Juhi.

However, she misses the team members whom they lost over the years.

"Jokes aside, it is amazing that the film is still so fresh and alive. The songs by Anand-Milind like 'Ghazab ka yeh din' and 'Ae mere humsafar' are hummed to this day. Sadly, Majrooh Sultanpuri, who wrote the lovely songs is no more. From the film's team we also lost our wonderful producer Nasir Hussain Saab. And from the cast Goga Kapoor is gone. But most of us are still around to get together for the screening of QSQT that Mansoor Khan organised...."

Juhi rues not working with Mansoor Khan again because he made only two other films after QSQT. She describes him as a "perfectionist and yet so easygoing".

"You know QSQT was not really my debut film. I had done 'Sultanat' with Sunny Deol before that. But no one remembers me in that film. If you blinked, you missed me in that. Even I've forgotten my role in that film. But I do remember I felt intimidated by all the stalwarts in 'Sultanat'.

"In QSQT, we were all relatively new, therefore, most comfortable working together. There was no stress, no stretched nerves and frayed ego," said Juhi, who visited Ooty for the first time to shoot for QSQT, a box office wonder that turned out to be a game changer.

"I'd wake up at 5 a.m. and do makeup to report on location. It was great fun. We all rehearsed together and we knew every line beforehand. I was so inexperienced I didn't know why we were rehearsing like we were going to do a play (ha ha)."

Juhi says her dialogue delivery style was Nasir Hussain's idea.

"I had to speak like a girl from a Rajput dynasty... I had to speak in that 'Hum yeh karenge, hum woh karenge' style. That lingo was alien to me. This was Nasir Hussain saab's idea. I just said the lines... You know, the lines were said differently in QSQT from the way they were said in those days. I remember my team of hairdresser, makeup person, costume designer used to wonder, 'Yeh log kya banaa rahen hain'. None of us knew how the film would turn out."

She says that after being shouted at by the choreographer in Sultanat, she had an easy time with the dance director in QSQT.

"He made me so comfortable. We were shooting 'Ghazab ka hai din' and the choreographer just made it so casual. He just told me to be myself during the song. The traditionalists in the crew thought we were just doing our own thing. But we all believed in it. So magic happened," said Juhi.

After QSQT, Juhi and Aamir did several films together but she admits that "QSQT" was special.

"I loved 'Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke' also 'Ishq'. But QSQT was special to both of us," said the actress.

Talking about the climax, she said: "We shot two endings -- a tragic and a happy ending. Did we all want a tragic ending for the lovers in the filme No one asked us. We just went by what we were told, though I suspect Aamir was consulted about the ending...."

She says that her son and daughter have yet to see the film.

"Among my films, my children have only seen 'Bhootnath'. I thought it was a children's film, so they'd enjoy it. But they hated it. One yelled at me. The other cried. What to doe 'Ghar ki murgi daal baraabar'."

"Looking back I'd say QSQT is the reason I am still here. Though I like my performances in 'Aaina', 'Darr', 'Hum Hain Raahi Pyar Ke', 'Bol Radha Bol', 'Yes Boss' and 'Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman', I've to admit QSQT is a little more special," she said.

link : http://www.pinkvilla.com/newstag ... ll-down-memory-lane

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-4-2013 11:25 AM | Show all posts
bestnyer ada shOrtfilm mcm bOmbay talkies..
ramai plak tu bintang2 bOllywOod...
thanks @yatt_takez letak infO pasal ni...best!!
layans jap yOutube kat atas..

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:32 AM | Show all posts
amikie posted on 30-4-2013 11:25 AM
bestnyer ada shOrtfilm mcm bOmbay talkies..
ramai plak tu bintang2 bOllywOod...
thanks @yatt_takez ...

tgk trailer dia perasan rani jah pon. yg len tuh mmg tak familiar.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:33 AM | Show all posts
baru perasan...bombay talkies tak dak Salman khan kajol.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:38 AM | Show all posts
ira...junaid...reena kat Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak's 25th Anniversary party

tolong ubah pesyen ra,but ira weiiii....dah tak kenai mana mak...mana anak...mana mak tiri..

ayoyoyooo...junaid ka neh. dah mcm che guevera

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:39 AM | Show all posts
Alia Bhatt on the cover of Femina Hindi (May 2013)

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 1-5-2013 12:40 AM | Show all posts
Vidya Balan on the cover of Marie Claire (May 2013) + Photoshoot

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:41 AM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 1-5-2013 12:45 AM | Show all posts
25 Years on: Celebrating Aamir-Juhi's romance in QSQT

Mansoor Khan's directorial debut Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak released 25 years ago today, April 29, with then upcoming actors Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla, starring in their first major roles. Fondly referred to as QSQT by cinephiles, the film went on to create box office history and catapulted the lead actors to superstardom overnight.

Sukanya Verma revisits the magical film.

There's a funny story behind how I watched Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak for the first time.

In 1988, when the concept of channels dedicated to trailers were completely alien, we relied on the services of Chhayageet and Chitrahaar on Doordarshan for a weekly dose of soundtrack videos to enjoy everything new, popular or timeless.

Around then, I noticed the promotion for Mansoor Khan's directorial debut is unusually keen. Sometimes they'd air more than one song from the about-to-release romance starring two unfamiliar faces -- Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla. And right before the clip, they'd play out its multiple posters, almost like a PowerPoint presentation.

Moreover, Anand-Milind's gleaming score against Majrooh Sultanpuri's fanciful poetry was a smash hit from the word go.

Every single song -- Papa kehte hain, Ghazab ka hai din, Aye mere humsafar, Akele hain toh kya gham and Kaahe sataye sung by Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik made a lasting impression on its listeners.

I heard this over my transistor from the legendary Ameen Sayani on his musical countdown, Cibaca Sangeet Mala and experienced it first hand when the frequent playing of its cassette resulted in recurring damage and buying three new tapes.

Now, summer vacations had just started and I was holidaying with my family at my aunt's home who neither had a VCR nor a colour television.

Owing to the instant hysteria it generated, tickets weren't available easily (remember no multiple screens or show) but the video was out in the market within a week or so.

Yielding to my constant pleas, my aunt rented its VHS tape and asked her landlady in the adjacent bungalow to play the video, which was then relayed on our TV by using a splitter. (At that time, it felt like the coolest technology ever.)

So this, ladies and gentlemen, is the extent of effort that went in for me to catch my first viewing of Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak.

link : http://www.rediff.com/movies/sli ... at-tak/20130429.htm

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:46 AM | Show all posts

Eventually I watched it several times again, in colour -- (cinematographer) Kiran Deohans creates a ravishing imagery on Plasma/LCD/LED/screens, you name it -- to know its entire screenplay by heart.

Still a primary school student when Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak came out, it's incredible how affectionate I continue to feel towards this film, which released on this day, April 29, 25 years ago. It's like that line, 'Humpar aapka bahut acha impression pada hai.'

Produced by the man behind dazzling entertainers like Tumsa Nahi Dekha, Teesri Manzil, Yaadon Ki Baarat, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin -- Nasir Hussain, Qayamat Se..., directed by his son Mansoor, worked as a clutter-breaker during a time Bollywood reeked of action and revenge, re-launching the career of two previously unnoticed actors -- nephew Aamir Khan (in Ketan Mehta's Holi) and Juhi Chawla (Mukul S Anand's Sultanat).

Hussain's last couple of films had bombed badly and the success of Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (which would go on to become one of the first movies -- at least in my memory -- to be addressed by its abbreviated title, QSQT followed by the likes of MPK, JJWS, DDLJ, K3G, etc) was imperative.

As luck would have it, it became a huge blockbuster and turned its leading duo into overnight sensations.

Though this Romeo and Juliet-inspired confection doesn't have an exceptional storyline, Mansoor creates an endearing equation around the shy, aloof Raj (Aamir) and spirited, jabbering Rashmi(Juhi).

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:47 AM | Show all posts

Lovers facing parental opposition against the backdrop of enemy clans is not a novel premise.

But what sets QSQT apart is how Mansoor prefers to focus on building the connection between a boy and a girl from warring Rajput families, making them genuine and likable as well as a steady refusal to spin them into melodramatic beings on discovering each other's true identity.

Where Raj and Rashmi are concerned, they're both very young and petrified of their fierce, temperamental fathers preferring to lie through their teeth instead of engaging ugly confrontations.

Sparks fly between them immediately -- all through the time a trigger-happy Rashmi clicks pictures of him against a sunset or when Raj cleans her wounds with cotton swabbed in Dettol following Rashmi's heartfelt admission of her feelings for him to right till the part where the twain elope and play house on top of a rugged hill.

Even if they had to abscond, they could have planned it a little better. Like travel to a proper city, get a real job and get married in court instead of cutting his finger with a knife and doing a literal khoon bhari maang.

But literacy is a dispensable concept in our movies and whether it's Love Story, Dil, QSQT or Maine Pyaar Kiya, and most runaway hero prefer to be seen with an axe instead of a file.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:48 AM | Show all posts

Despite this incredulity and growling, regressive daddies ('Shaadi ke baad patni wohi karegi jo pati chahta hai') concerned with 'khandaan ki izzat' and 'dushmani,' QSQT endlessly charms.

The soundtrack as well as the part-booming, part-dulcet background score is terrific.

The direction displays confidence and taut storytelling. And after a long gap, audiences witness the return of a chocolate-faced hero whereas the heroine, while dainty, is a refreshing change from all the coy types ridden by the waiting-for-the-guy-to-make-the-first-move syndrome.

He's introduced strumming a guitar, she riding a horse. Aamir and Juhi convey this shift in dynamics flawlessly, intimately.

Together they make a couple you'd like to see again and again. That none of their subsequent films worked until Ishq (nine years later) is another story.

The chirpy actress makes tons of cute faces and delivers various flirtatious lines in her sing-song style -- Dettol wali koi chhot nahi/Humari shaan mein kuch aur kehna chahein toh hum sunne ke liye taiyaar hain -- says, 'Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak was like a college play. We would rehearse, laugh, play, shoot -- it was wonderful.'

Aamir, on the other hand' reveals he 'was very nervous on the first day and sweating like a pig' in an old issue of Movie magazine.

The superstar's unease works to his advantage in scenes when the puny Raj turns into bashful Raj around Rashmi.

Recall that embarrassment in his laughter (uh-heh-uh-heh) when Juhi presents him a set of photos she shot of him against the 'doobta sooraj' and a hilarious candid where he's buried in a shawl in front of his friends?

His budding perfectionism is also evident in the manner he plucks the guitar strings while lip-syncing to one his biggest chartbusters looking absolutely dapper in white shirt, black vest and messy black tie.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:49 AM | Show all posts

Speaking of friends, Raj Zutshi as his cousin Shyam hits a sweet spot.

The two previously worked on Ketan Mehta's Holi. Then there's a virtually unrecognizable Shehzad Khan as his hunting (oh yes, Pre-Satyamev Jayate Aamir pursues live prey even if we don't see it happen since he's too preoccupied with Juhi's photograph to care) buddy Shahid who would go on to play Bhalla alongside Viju Khote's Robert (he too appears as a drunk Thakur in a small role) in yet Aamir's funniest film, Andaz Apna Apna.

Also featuring is a really young actor/filmmaker Makrand Despande (credited as Mac Deshpanday) who tries to molest Rashmi. I hope you realise the other member of this vile gang in canary yellow pants is none other than Aamir's younger brother, Faisal.

Nephew Imran Khan too makes his debut in a cute uniform to play a younger version of his 'Mamu' in two scenes.

The mild-mannered star had a massive crush on QSQT's leading lady and even proposed to her with a ring on its sets. His mother and Mansoor's sister, Nuzhat Khan worked in the capacity of costume designer.

The outfits, I must add (especially the ones worn by Juhi), -- ranging from mirror-work lehengas, tie-and-dye dupattas and handloom weave salwar kameezes -- are simply gorgeous and create a distinct identity for Rashmi.

Even the white chikan suit and red bandhni dupatta, Juhi wore in the forest scene was widely imitated by all the girls including a certain Anjali Sharma during that emotional railway station scene of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

QSQT, which is ranked among our best romances and a landmark film of the 1980s, enjoys quite a few accolades to its credit.

Besides a National Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment, QSQT garnered seven Filmfare awards (Film, Direction, Lux New Face, Music, Cinematography, Male Playback Singer) including Best (Male) Debut for Aamir, a recognition he would later jeer at and refuse to be a part of.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:49 AM | Show all posts

Perhaps the only thing I didn't like (even then) is the unexpected, distressing end.

Okay, so maybe the grandiose twins in its title Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak makes its intention quite obvious. But as a kid, I had a hard time believing it actually happened. As an adult, I deem it, like Jai's death (in Sholay), plain unnecessary and almost always skip the last 10 minutes. Such denial doesn't hurt.

In a fascinating interview to Indian Express, the director reveals how his father 'insisted on a happy ending' and would have preferred to see the bullets hit Goga Kapoor (he's irredeemably mean) instead but Khan didn't want to compromise on his vision and stuck with the tragedy. Clearly, the risk was worth it.

The QSQT mania was unavoidable. Even the surprise realisation of Aamir Khan's marital status to (then spouse) Reena Datta (she appears in a cameo as one of the students in the song, Papa kehte hain) failed to affect an inch of his popularity.

Back then, the local grocery shop sold something known as Jolly Sweets -- something along the lines of Willie Wonka's Golden Tickets concealed in a candy wrapper.

Only instead of a trip to chocolate factory, the coupon would get us a free postcard of QSQT (or Shahenshah and later Maine Pyaar Kiya). I accumulated an entire stack of its postcards.

When I met Juhi to interview her role as producer with Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani and to compile a list of her pick of the best-looking actors in Hindi cinema, I lightly mentioned how her pigtails were a huge hit among schoolgirls when QSQT came out and how I hated not being part of the 'thing' since I had a boy cut.

Her response was a giggle mixed in disbelief and delight.

She'll probably react the same way if I tell her how even after 25 years, 'mazaa aa raha hai, kasam se.'

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:50 AM | Show all posts
tak ingat citer QSQT neh camner.
dah terkompius ngan 1 pilem aamir...yg heols kayuh beskal tuh.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 12:54 AM | Show all posts
Sasheh Aagha (Aurangzeb) on the cover of Harper's Bazaar

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 1-5-2013 09:11 PM | Show all posts
lawa gak Sasheh Aagha nih...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-5-2013 09:12 PM | Show all posts
Vidya Balan nampak kurus plak dlm cOver magazine tu....cantik!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-5-2013 09:14 PM | Show all posts
citer QSQT mmg legend jugak la...
tp ending 2-2 herO herOine mati la pulak...
rasa2nya dlm citer ni paling banyak Aamir dgn Juhi kissing...

Use magic Report

Post time 1-5-2013 11:32 PM | Show all posts
amikie posted on 1-5-2013 09:11 PM
lawa gak Sasheh Aagha nih...

family dia neh ada relate gak ngan family kapoor
mak Sasheh, Salma Agha neh 1st kazen ngan Rishi Kapoor.
camna leh relate....moyang Sasheh neh adik mak Raj Kapoor.

Salma Agha neh dulu selain pelakon...sheols pon nyanyi gak.
pernah menang  Filmfare Best Female Playback Award utk lagu bawah neh.

neh plak lagu sheols cover utk lagu ABBA versi hindi

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 12:46 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.180730 second(s), 42 queries .