ADVERTISEMENT

Author: Wong Onn Yong

Martial Art : Aikido

[Copy link]
benz_my This user has been deleted
Post time 17-5-2004 01:54 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Wong Onn Yong at 13-5-2004 11:39 PM:
Ben,

It's great! Thanks for your comment! I feel hard for translate it because it's deepful language, it fulfilled of philosophy. Those Chinese version of Aikido book can founded in Taiwan mostl ...

you are welcome!!! heee....
that's great.i like that link you shared with us

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 20-5-2004 01:08 PM | Show all posts

new rank...

i just got an e-mail
mentioning that shudokanmalaysia.com ranked #9
in Google for Aikido Yoshinkan

thank you very much for all your supports.

OSU!!!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2004 07:17 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by HangJebat at 20/5/2004 01:08 PM:
i just got an e-mail
mentioning that shudokanmalaysia.com ranked #9
in Google for Aikido Yoshinkan

thank you very much for all your supports.

OSU!!!

You're welcome! It's great because Shudokan Malaysia Dot Com has becomes a top website, i love merchandise page of this site and that red round neck t-shirt is very beautiful (especially Shudokan's font).

Have a nice day!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-5-2004 07:23 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by benz_my at 17/5/2004 01:54 AM:

you are welcome!!! heee....
that's great.i like that link you shared with us

There's the only one Yoshinkan website in Taiwan, come on and click here!

Use magic Report

Post time 24-5-2004 02:54 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Wong Onn Yong at 23-5-2004 03:23 AM:

There's the only one Yoshinkan website in Taiwan, come on and click here!

oh ya....let me check it out..
thank for you information

Use magic Report

Post time 25-5-2004 02:40 PM | Show all posts

oh thanks...

Originally posted by Wong Onn Yong at 2004-5-23 19:17:

You're welcome! It's great because Shudokan Malaysia Dot Com has becomes a top website, i love merchandise page of this site and that red round neck t-shirt is very beautiful (especially Shudok ...

i forget to update the page
just changing the font & color of the price

thanks for reminding me again...

Use magic Report

Follow Us
WinterNights This user has been deleted
Post time 25-5-2004 09:33 PM | Show all posts

Has Aikido lost its essence??

Is Aikido a martial art or is it an expression of a martial art?

The reason I asked this is because the concept of Aikido as a realization of love seems to be restricted by the fact that its origins lies in the old school of martial arts. I have read materials that upon Morehei's enlightenment, he drastically changed the approach in Aikido, focusing more on the spirituality aspect that he himself experienced.

However, Morihei's background consists of many arts such as fencing, spear fighting and daitoryu-jiujitsu. In his younger days, his approach towards martial arts is similar to that of others(i.e. karate, judo etc) and he was known to be involved in many fights. This is what I consider as martial arts...

When he founded Aikido, all these aspects are changed towards a more spiritual approach...Eg. ""Aikido is not a way to fight with or defeat enemies; it is a way to reconcile the world and make all human beings one family."

Thus, the essence of Martial Arts is lost in the process...It seems that Morihei intended to use what he had learned as a medium to achieve his own goals. To put it another way, he deviated from Martial Arts in his own interpretation to pursue his own spiritual goals.

That being said, how many of Aikido practitioners would want to follow the similar pursuit of Morihei? Nowadays, it seems that most people categorised Aikido as a martial art in the same generalized way as Karate, Judo, TKD etc but in effect disregard the nature and purpose which Morihei intended to go in his pursuit.

Use magic Report

Post time 26-5-2004 09:58 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by WinterNights at 25-5-2004 05:33 AM:

The reason I asked this is because the concept of Aikido as a realization of love seems to be restricted by the fact that its ori ...

Hi WinterNights,

AIkido is always a martial art. All these enlightment or spiritual spirit were when O'sense he himeself got older and he realiazed them. Some Aikido schools may ended up teaching these enlightment or spiritual spirit when these school's sensei had training with him at late 70 or old days training. He was getting old and staring to realized the heaven and ground spririt.

Again,the point here is that AIkido is a martial art and it is just matter of which Aikido orgranization you are choosing. There are several types of organization for AIkido school such as Yoshinakan Aikido, Iwama Aikido schoo, Aikikai, Ki Society, Aiki-jujitju, and so on.

All these organizations were formed by his early and old age students.
For example, I am from Yoshinkan Aikido school, and my founder of this organization was Gozo Shioda Shihan who passed aways at 1994. He was the first group of O'sensei student at around 1930. So at that time every of O'sensei students were toward ths art and not religious.

At that time, Aikido was only taugh to police and military, and not as popular as JUDO.

If you need more Information about AIkido, you can contact my former instructor at KL, 5ft dan Yoshiinkan Aikido Instructor. I am sure he can answer all of your questions. website contact page

HIs personal email: email address

I hope I did answer some of your questions....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 26-5-2004 08:55 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by WinterNights at 25/5/2004 09:33 PM:

The reason I asked this is because the concept of Aikido as a realization of love seems to be restricted by the fact that its ori ...

You're absolutely wrong because it those Aikido techniques are effective as self defense, effective doesn't mean combative excatly. Rough doesn't represents everything because you maybe don't know this theory, it's just waisting people's time over here. Why don't you try to practice Aikido, is there no nearer Aikido gym from your home or office?

It's all right, but i like to recommend some local Aikido organizations to you as below (Just click!):
Aikikai Malaysia
Malaysia Aikido Association
Aikido Shobukan Malaysia
Yoshinkan Aikido Association of KL & Selangor
Aikido Yoshinkan Shudokan Malaysia
Aikido Dojo search engine

That's all!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-5-2004 09:00 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by HangJebat at 25/5/2004 02:40 PM:

i forget to update the page
just changing the font & color of the price

thanks for reminding me again...

It's all right, that merchandise page is still ok. I'll check it again soon!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-5-2004 09:23 PM | Show all posts
Hey folks!

Any Astro spectator here? Aikido in National Geographic will repeat in 10PM, don't miss it! Christians don't messing with our Aikido, OK?

Use magic Report

Post time 26-5-2004 10:55 PM | Show all posts
Wong Onn Yong,

You're absolutely wrong because it those Aikido techniques are effective as self defense, effective doesn't mean combative excatly.

--> If 'effectiveness' is not measured through combative means, then what sort of threshold do you use?

If I practice my punch and kicks everyday, I might perfect the form of the technique but it say nothing on its efficiency in a situation where someone is actually trying to hit you. I have seen Aikido been practiced and it is based on non-resisting partners....that is ok, however if someone says that by doing that alone itself is sufficient to counter a resisting opponent, then I have say that is wrong.

Rough doesn't represents everything because you maybe don't know this theory, it's just waisting people's time over here. Why don't you try to practice Aikido, is there no nearer Aikido gym from your home or office?

--> Different people have different reasons for pursuing 'martial arts', some do it because they see a unique philosophy behind it, some might do it for fitness and fun at the same time and some might do it because they want to experience the Martial in the Art.

I am not saying that the techniques in Aikido are useless, per se, I am just expressing my opinion that the training methodology of Aikido inhibits its real life application. I can throw 1000 punches and kicks a day and practice my forms but in sparring, without the proper conditioning, both physical and mental, all those 'non-resisting' training will not work.

There are many factors in a sparring match or real life confrontation, tempers flare and fear factor sets in. Can the present Aikido training cater for these purposes?

I am not against Aikido, I find it quite interesting actually...the demonstrations are particularly entertaining. I am seeking some insights from those who practice Aikido in their interpretation of Aikido as a martial art...

Thanks for the info btw...

Benz_my,

Thanks for the info, I'll look it up...

Use magic Report

Post time 27-5-2004 04:03 AM | Show all posts
Aikido can be performed in 2 different ways. One way is on the mat and the other way is on the street. A lot of people who train Aikido doesnt know how to use these technique to protect themselves because the way they train on the mat will not 100% work outside the dojo, but if you break it down by parts. I can tell  you Aikido is working pretty good. We train Aikido is for self-defence, and it is not for sparring.

Many people dont understand the concept of Aikido, and they always have doubt about Aikido. For me, if those people dont try it, how do they know Aikido is not working. They are no loses to try, but step back and see.

Some people after watching Aikido, and then they asked themselves: "I cant figure it out. I dont know how it works."
How can someone possibly reach any sort of understanding about Aikido? To achieve this , the most important thing is to actually try it yourself. Then there will be no need to convince those who think Aikido is fake to agree its effectiveness.  

I have been training Aikido since 12 yrs old, and I never think of explore myself until I came here (USA). Americans here are strong, and tall..........
When I started my Aikido trainning in the states, wow.....seriously my Aikido is not working. All these days, I just trained on the mat and never trained with huge guys like American.

On the other hand people who train martial arts in the states are looking for effectiveness so while training they will give you their best effort to againt you. From there, I started to understand how Aikido really work.... I have been here for almost 4yrs, and  I break it part by part and focus each part of the techniques.

In real fight, we need to play smart for Aikidoka. My kancho always said that 70% is atemi and the rest is Aikido. I always spared with my friends over here, one of them has karate background, the other one has jiu jit su background, and the other one has muay thai background.

Actually everytime we are discussing our arts, and they are pretty interesting. we spared all the time and try to understand each type of martial arts and we found out that all these martial arts have one in common "center line" and foucs energy.

Oh well...maybe I gone to far of our main topic.......

Again, Aikido is for self defence when you need it, it will come to you....

You have doutb with it, you should give it a try.......... you never know....
As you know bacis is the most important...........  the spirit of BUDO.......

Use magic Report

Post time 27-5-2004 06:14 AM | Show all posts
Benz_my,

In real fight, we need to play smart for Aikidoka. My kancho always said that 70% is atemi and the rest is Aikido. I always spared with my friends over here, one of them has karate background, the other one has jiu jit su background, and the other one has muay thai background.

--> You have said what I believe myself, to be the 'correct' methodology of training. Although it is not within your Aikido curriculum, you have 'bridged' technique with application by sparring with friends of different backgrounds in martial arts.

That is my main contention, I believe the techniques in Aikido are workable but in today's Aikido training, most of it are restricted to non-resisting opponents and very few would venture and 'compare' arts, like what you are doing. I face the same situation, I have no doubts about the applicability of Wing Chun in combat but training wise, it does not really cater for it. The techniques are sound and effective but I am in the process of seeking its application(that's why I have taken up Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu as well).

This issue ties in well with my original post, 'Is Aikido a martial art or an expression of a martial art?'; to rephrase it, 'an expression of a martial art' does not mean it is not a martial art per se, but rather some of the essence of it has been changed(in this case, Morihei's spiritual goals after his enlightenment).

Some people after watching Aikido, and then they asked themselves: "I cant figure it out. I dont know how it works."
How can someone possibly reach any sort of understanding about Aikido? To achieve this , the most important thing is to actually try it yourself. Then there will be no need to convince those who think Aikido is fake to agree its effectiveness.

--> I am not here to bash Aikido or call it a worthless martial art. I believe it is applicable and in the past, it was taught to the police and military in Japan(I'm not sure about now but I have read article about Joe Thambu in Australia conducting seminars on restraints to the police). What I seek is the opinions of Aikidoist(I always thought it was Aikidoist rather than Aikidoka; normally reserved for Judoka and Karateka) on the present training methodology. Martial arts do evolve and to me, it seems that Aikido is taking the 'easy' path, becoming slowly but surely, a 'martial art' of real techniques but void of application.

Use magic Report

oni_green This user has been deleted
Post time 28-5-2004 06:28 PM | Show all posts
hello everyone,

i was reading through this thread and i noticed that Hang Jebat mentioned about the Seri Kembangan Dojo conducting kenjutsu lessons. where can i find more information on this? a phone number or address maybe?

thanks

[ Last edited by oni_green on 28-5-2004 at 06:29 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-5-2004 01:09 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by oni_green at 28/5/2004 06:28 PM:
hello everyone,

i was reading through this thread and i noticed that Hang Jebat mentioned about the Seri Kembangan Dojo conducting kenjutsu lessons. where can i find more information on this? a  ...

It was an one day lesson of Kenjutsu by Francis Sensei, sorry!

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

oni_green This user has been deleted
Post time 30-5-2004 01:27 AM | Show all posts
damn. thank you anyway.

Use magic Report

Post time 31-5-2004 12:24 AM | Show all posts

ah ha!!! talking about Joe Thambu Sensei...

Shudokan Malaysia is going to organize the 3rd Restraint & Removal Seminar
in the 1st week of September 2004
conducted by Joe Thambu Sensei...

please make yourselves available on that day to join
(but date & place not confirm yet)

[ Last edited by HangJebat on 31-5-2004 at 12:28 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-6-2004 07:06 PM | Show all posts
Shudokan Melbourne has new updated, just click http://www.aikidoshudokan.com! It's server was down formerly, it's ok already now!

Have a nice day!

Use magic Report

Post time 7-6-2004 02:52 AM | Show all posts

my 4th kyu grading...

i'm proud to tell all of you
that i had my grading on june 6th (yesterday afternoon)

kihon dosa (with partner)

kihon waza
- shomen uchi yongkajo osai 1
- mune muchi hijishime 2
- shomen uchi koutehgashe 2
- ryote mochi tenchi nage 1
- suwari waza ryote mochi kokyuho 1

shite waza
- katate mochi nikkajo osae 2
- katate mochi sokumen iriminage 1

nihonme kumite
- sangkajo nage (left & right)
- hidiyate nage (L & R)
- ikkajo nage (L & R)
then, shite-uke kotai

go waza
- katate ayamochi go waza
- shomen uchi go waza
also, shite-uke kotai

as expected, i got 2 rounds of go waza
just because Ramlan Sensei told me that i'm the 'shindoin'
- i can't imagine how does it look like if i have to do the 3rd one

wat eva lah... seems like i'll pass the test
but dont' know how is the marks

OSU!!!

[ Last edited by HangJebat on 7-6-2004 at 03:37 AM ]

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

19-3-2024 11:27 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.123714 second(s), 42 queries .