CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 5696|Reply: 15

Fesyen Pakaian Raggi Pemuda Pemudi Di Gaza (8pics)

[Copy link]
Post time 1-11-2013 04:34 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Street Style in GazaA state of siege hasn't stopped Gazans from keeping up with fashion's latest trends and showcasing their own unique style.

Cool and breezy, this Gazan's ensemble and retro shades, belie the effort necessary to find stylish items amidst restricted supply and high prices caused by Gaza's nearly hermetically sealed borders.

This Gazan business woman sports a matching outfit strikingly set off by the colorful graffiti she passes on the way to the office. Gaza's walls are also a forum for self-expression.
(Photo: Sami Haven)
Like kids on the first day of school, these Gazan youngsters are sporting their best outfits as they wave to the camera. Clothes becaame particularly scarce and expensive after Israel tightened its siege of Gaza in 2007, halting imports until 2010. To this day, no major retailer will open a location in Gaza due to the unstable political and security situation.
(Photo: Sami Haven)
A student from Al-Quds University stands out from the crowd on a busy Gaza street. The daily struggle to find necessities and chronic uncertainty regarding the political situation hasn't stopped Gazans from expressing themselves as they navigate the cramped city's concrete lined streets.

With a pose to rival Zoolander's Blue Steel, this passerby shows that fashion in Gaza is not merely for the ladies in his stylish vest and graphic tee.

Gaza teaches that not all style is the same. A student in front of the Islamic University shows off her colorful bag while wearing the niqab, challenging simplistic views of fashion in the process.

The envy of men's shoe catalogs everywhere, the updated moccasin look evokes equal parts Eddie Bauer and felt slipper. Practical as well, these shoes are easier to come by than sneakers which must be smuggled thorugh tunnels or imported at high cost from Israel.

Showcasing a blend of styles, Gazans have had to become fashion omnivores due to a lack ofinternational retailers. Here a young hip hop artist has chosen hipster shades and skinny jeans to create his B-Boy persona as he passes by a graffiti tag.

Fashion Labels Popular
In Gaza Despite Hardship

By: Abeer Ayyoub for Al-Monitor Palestine Pulse

GAZA CITY — In the Old City of Gaza, Levi's, Adidas and many other brands names are on display at the largest secondhand shop in the impoverished coastal enclave. Such popular labels are only available at this market, Fras, as the majority in Palestinians in Gaza cannot afford them new but nonetheless still desire them. The Fras Market introduced Palestinians in Gaza to international brands. The goods there are mostly brought in from Israel, and the majority of the brands are Israeli, with a few American and European labels mixed in.

Abu Muhammad Abu Kheir has been a clothes retailer at Fras for more than 15 years. He is satisfied with his work, given the considerable flow of customers. “Although the majority of my customers are poor, I have many well-off customers who regularly come and ask for specific brands,” Abu Kheir told Al-Monitor at his modest shop.

The prices at Abu Kheir’s outlet range from $1 to $10 for secondhand original brands. His prices are considered high compared to those before Israel tightened its siege of Gaza in 2007, after which exports to Gaza ceased until 2010. As a consequence, Israeli traders turned to other countries. After exporting resumed, Gaza traders had to adjust to the new, higher prices.

“Before 2007, I used to buy a ton of clothes for $1,000, now I get them for more than $2,000. This has affected my work, of course,” explained Abu Kheir.

Unstable borders have always affected trade in Gaza. In 2007 before the tunnels under the Egyptian border were dug, Gaza suffered a serious drop in clothing imports, as well as other goods. After the tunnels became operational, traders smuggled in Egyptian clothes, but they did not satisfy Palestinian tastes. With Turkish television soap operas becoming popular in the Middle East, retailers began importing Turkish clothing, which has been well received by customers.

Abdullah Qassim, who just opened a clothing store at the al-Remal shopping area, considered the most prestigious in Gaza, said that he basically relies on Turkish goods since it is currently the most popular trend. Although the prices at Qassim’s shop are higher than at other outlets, he says that there are enough people willing to pay more to get a stylish outfit.

“I choose my goods based on quality and brand, and I always have customers who are interested,” Qassim explained. Given a choice between original brands and high-quality imitations, he opts for the latter because the originals are not affordable in Gaza. The unstable financial situation makes retail difficult, even for “elites,” who are normally the best customers. “These relatively rich people are [also] a part of the society. They are normally affected by economic changes [as well],” Qassim noted.

Despite the demand for international brands, no major retailer would risk opening an outlet in Gaza given the chronic instability. In addition, some Palestinians still consider buying American and Israeli brands immoral in light of the ongoing Israeli occupation.

In August, the well-known Israeli clothing brand Fox was prepared to open a branch in Ramallah before outrage spread on social media, with Palestinian activists calling for a boycott of Israeli goods. Although Israeli labels do not have outlets in Gaza, shops that sell them are among the most popular. According to consumers, Israeli products are considered the best in Gaza, except among the few who prefer to boycott them.

Yara Hussam said that among all the clothes in Gaza, she prefers Israeli labels because of their quality. “I wish I could boycott [them], but I prefer the Israeli brands over the Turkish for being better in quality and prices,” Hussam explained.

In addition to the high tax rate of 14.5% that retailers must pay on their goods, renting a shop in Gaza can cost more than $5,000 a year, according to Qassim. Thus, consumers end up having to buy expensive goods.

Aya Sameh said that she prefers getting her clothes from Jordan because of the prices in Gaza and the limited options. “I can’t find all the brands I look for, and even when I find them, they are always too expensive.”

Abeer Ayyoub is a columnist for Al-Monitor's Palestine Pulse. She graduated from the Islamic University of Gaza with a BA in English literature. She is a former human rights researcher turned journalist whose work has also appeared in Al-Masry al-Youm, Al Jazeera and Haaretz. On Twitter: @Abeerayyoub

Last edited by abgsedapmalam on 7-11-2013 10:55 AM

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 2-11-2013 10:23 AM | Show all posts
fashionista?

Use magic Report

Post time 2-11-2013 12:29 PM | Show all posts
percayalah sgt.....

tu bukan penduduk Gaza okeh..

penduduk gaza hari2 sibuk cari makan, tangan kaki kudung , muka x terurus...kalau ada pun yg hidup baik  xde yg busy  dgn fesyen...

tengok muka tahu itu org luar...

kalau ye pung ko segan lagi malu besar kemaluan , dgn apa yg sudah buat terhadap Paletsine xperlulah smapai nak fitnah perihal fesyen pula...

Tipu tahap neraka ko kan..

Use magic Report

Post time 3-11-2013 01:26 AM | Show all posts
Boleh tahan

Use magic Report

Post time 4-11-2013 07:26 AM | Show all posts
HannahMontana posted on 2-11-2013 12:29 PM
percayalah sgt.....

betul ke?
kau pernah pergi sana?

anyway
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DIRETIDE !

Use magic Report

Post time 4-11-2013 07:37 AM | Show all posts
Artemesiaa posted on 3-11-2013 01:26 AM
Boleh tahan

Tak la miskin sampai tahap Afghanistan..ni yg Msia perabih jutaan ringgit hantaq pi sana watpe

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 4-11-2013 08:01 AM | Show all posts
hijabster gitu
hat lelaki ada cam kpop sket

Use magic Report

Post time 4-11-2013 02:02 PM | Show all posts
Mmg org palestin trendy kot. Baru terbaca kat blog Shea Rasol... dia baru balik dari Palestin.

ni sebahagian entry psl dia nye  Palestine Travelogue http://www.myamethyst-shea.com/:

Luckily just before the trip, I managed to score a few darling abaya/jubah pieces from different labels in Malaysia. I wanted to look for something that's practical for movements and prayers, yet doesn't compromise a bit of style. Cause you know, the Palestinian ladies are VERY fashionable okay! I didn't manage to snap pics of them while about town cause I'm afraid they wouldn't like it (I mean, would you like it if a total stranger were to sneakily snap pics of you? I think not kan).

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 4-11-2013 05:02 PM | Show all posts
pelukis.plan posted on 4-11-2013 07:26 AM
betul ke?
kau pernah pergi sana?

ha..............

Use magic Report

Post time 21-2-2014 05:43 PM | Show all posts
yg ni nmpk style

Use magic Report

Post time 24-2-2014 10:53 AM | Show all posts
pelukis.plan posted on 4-11-2013 07:26 AM
betul ke?
kau pernah pergi sana?

Dia xpernah ke sana cuma ckp berdasarkan pemerhatian dia as yg terpampang di media massa je kot. wkwkkw

Use magic Report

Post time 24-2-2014 02:57 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
org gaza dtg mesia tersempak wak doyok terkejut dorg tgk berblazer bagai di tgh panas

Use magic Report

Post time 24-2-2014 09:02 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Bleh tahan vouge

Use magic Report

Post time 5-11-2014 03:59 PM | Show all posts
Aku tak penah gi sana tapi aku banyak membaca pasal masyarakat di Gaza..dlm media semua tunjuk rumah kena bom, org kena bunuh, poverty etc..tu mmg tak dinafikan tapi hakikatnya org2 kat sana cam kite gak..ada yg kaya, ada yg miskin..diorg pun ada tempat2 eksklusif utk hang out etc..cuma golongan camni minoriti laa..tapi ada..and mostly Gazans sgt educated ok..tentera2 Al-Qassam tu pun mostly yg join adalah di kalangan professional cam doktor, engineers, lawyers, uni students..yg spokesperson dia, Abu Ubaidah tu pun he can speak fluent English..so diorg mmg cam kita gak cuma ye la kan..sekatan Israel tu yg menjadikan serba serbi terhad..may Allah help them in their jihad..

Use magic Report

Post time 6-11-2014 11:12 AM | Show all posts
shop_girl posted on 5-11-2014 03:59 PM
Aku tak penah gi sana tapi aku banyak membaca pasal masyarakat di Gaza..dlm media semua tunjuk rumah ...

betul tu...hari2 ada je gambar dan cerita kena bom, kanak2 meninggal, cacat, hilang rumah, hilang keluarga..

Use magic Report

Post time 25-11-2014 04:47 PM | Show all posts
abg sedapmalam ni mmg agen Mossad pun...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

11-5-2024 10:49 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.063547 second(s), 41 queries .