Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3224|Reply: 6

EDISI TERENGGANU : ‘Ketupat palas’ going places – even to Saudi

[Copy link]
Post time 27-5-2018 04:43 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by cmf_BeachBoys at 27-5-2018 04:45 PM

KUALA TERENGGANU: Ketupat palas is one of several traditional delicacies that are readily available during Ramadan and Syawal, especially in Terengganu.

The dumpling is made from glutinous rice packed inside a diamond-shaped pouch, woven using the frond of the increasingly scarce fan palm licuala grandis.

Despite it being difficult to get the palas leaf to wrap the glutinous rice, ketupat palas maker Zainab Awang has to give it a go as it has been a source of her family income since 2000.

She said she hired villagers in Gemuruh to look for palas leaves at RM30 for every 10 fronds. Zainab is from Kampung Bukit Tunggal, Kuala Nerus.

Initially, I was not good at making ketupat palas. I was struggling to pick up the skill. I was inept.

“However, to generate more income for my eight children, I persevered,” said the single mother whose late husband was a fisher­­man.

“When I was good at it, I immediately started making ketupat palas for daily sale, besides making pulut lepa (grilled glutinous rice with fish paste wrapped in banana leaf).”

Assisted by her children, Zainab sells ketupat palas this Ramadan season, making close to RM200 a day.

She said she has also received requests for ketupat palas, which is made using a traditional herbal concoction, espe­­cially from those who were returning to their villages ahead of the Hari Raya celebration.

“I have also received orders from people who are going back to their hometowns in Perak, Selangor and Kuala Lumpur – and even to Saudi Arabia,” Zainab, 61, said.

According to Zainab, her 41-year-old daughter Noraida Ismail would help her prepare 15kg of glutinous rice, which could produce 375 ketupat palas, as early as after sahur (pre-dawn meal).

“I will heat the coconut milk first before stirring it with the glutinous rice so that the ketupat palas will last longer and not go bad too quickly.

Zainab sells ketupat palas at 50 sen each despite the rise in the prices of goods.

“I don’t make excessive profits. I am just very thankful that I can feed my family.” — Bernama

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/05/27/ketupat-palas-going-places-even-to-saudi/

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-5-2018 05:02 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Sedak wei...
Makan dgn gulai daging..
Fuh....
Ngap ngap gitu

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-5-2018 05:11 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
shernazz replied at 27-5-2018 05:02 PM
Sedak wei...
Makan dgn gulai daging..
Fuh....

Dlm pantang mana blh mkm pulut.....

Blh mkm kulit roti je...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-5-2018 05:13 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Mahal nya daun palas tu... tapi mcm murah plak jual 50sen sebijik. Moga murah rezeki makcik

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-5-2018 05:28 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
jazaa100 replied at 27-5-2018 05:11 PM
Dlm pantang mana blh mkm pulut.....

Blh mkm kulit roti je...

Xmau lah kulit roti wei...x sedak

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-5-2018 05:32 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Mkn dgn rendang dgg mak aku..tazabar tggu raya..heehehee

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 28-5-2018 01:17 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Ketupat palas ni sedap klu cukup santan, beras pulut yg elok. Kukus pon timing kena betul. Makan dgn serunding omai omaiiiii

Nk bungkus pon kena ada skill sbb klu x pandai bungkus, jadi ketupat jantan. X sedap. Tangan mesti la katang nk tarik baru menjadi. I selama hidup dari kecik ke besar x pernah menjadi masa menggulung. Jantan je semedang.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

26-4-2024 05:38 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.097519 second(s), 41 queries .