Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News Update

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 31-7-2006 04:45 PM | Show all posts
July 31, 2006

Foreign Backdrop Makes Song Hye-kyo Even Hotter

Actress Song Hye-gyo is at the center of talk these days, thanks to photos recently posted on her homepage (www.hyebaragi.com). Netizens are saying that the exotic locales in which the photos were shot makes the actress all the more beautiful.

Song's manager says the photos were taken in her spare time between filming advertisements abroad. "I was concerned about her because she lost weight due to the tight schedule. But luckily many fans are saying she looks slimmer," her agent added. Meanwhile, the actress is preparing for her full-fledged return to the big screen with the film "Hwang Jin-I," about a famous Chosun-era gisaeng or female entertainer, which began shooting on July 25.

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0607310003.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 31-7-2006 05:39 PM | Show all posts
Traditional Dramas Beat Trendy Ones

By Chung Ah-young
Staff Reporter

Korean dramas are getting old.

Young and glamorous stars in a typical "Cinderella-like" love story that have spurred hallyu, or the Korean Wave, are struggling to hold onto the viewers. Instead, soap operas targeting the older crowd, especially the "ajumma," are on the rise.

The "ajumma" refers to the middle-aged married women in Korean, who have always been a steady drama watchers with huge power over who gets to control the tv remote as well as the household budget in Korean households.

But as viewers tire of stereotyped Korean dramas with sappy, romantic themes and repetitive storylines, the young, especially those in their 20s are turning a cold shoulder to tv.

The current trendy dramas _ "Smile Again," aired on SBS featuring such top young stars such as Kim Hee-sun and Lee Dong-gun; "Great Expectations" on KBS starring Kim Jae-won and Han Ji-min, and "One Fine Day," on MBC starring Gong Yu and Sung Yu-ree _ all ended up with low viewer ratings of less than 10 percent on average.

The newly-aired drama, "Soon-ae, Please Come Back" which was first launched on SBS on July 11, following the final episode of "Smile Again," had a 20 percent viewer rating.

This comical drama casting Shim Hye-jin, Park Jin-hee and Yoon Da-hoon portrays two women, one in her 40s and the other in her 20s, who exchange their souls after an accident.

Although the drama basically features a comical and fantasy-like theme, the story unfolds in a realistic manner. Shim, the veteran main actress, who is 39 in real life, conveys the agonies of an ordinary housewife in her role as "Soon-ae," a typical housewife, dubbed "ajumma" connotation

"Ajumma," gives the idea of a woman who is tough and of shabby appearance because of her devotion to family.

Shim, with her disheveled hair and unexciting clothes is winning the hearts of viewers through her vivid portrayal of the "ajumma,'

"Invisible Man, Choi Jang-soo" which is broadcast on KBS on weekdays, is also gaining popularity among the middle-aged women who are the main viewers of soap operas.

The drama starring Chae Si-ra and Yoo Oh-sung is about a traditional story in which a husband who works as a police officer devotes himself to the happiness of his wife and two children after getting Alzheimer's.

"The trendy dramas, mostly casting big-name stars who usually demand high casting premiums, face the shortage of variety in themes and items as they are getting stereotyped and similar in storylines," Kong Young-hwa, director of a drama division of SBS, said.

According to a recent survey by the AGB Nilson Media Research, the viewer rating for women who are in their 20s, who were the main viewers for the mini-series dramas in the 1990s, has been on the decline.

The comparable viewer rating was 22.6 percent in 2000 and 13.6 percent last year.

However, during the same period, the viewer rating for women in their 40s rose to 27. 7 percent from 23.9 percent; that of women in their 50s went up to 37.5 percent from 28.5 percent.

Also, young viewers are turning their eyes from land-based television broadcasters to other new media such as cable TV and the Internet.

"Young viewers are losing interest in television dramas because they do not satisfy viewers' tastes which are fast changing in culture. A love story involving a son of a big "chaebol," and a girl from a humble family does not appeal to us anymore," 28-year-old woman Park Son-young who is living in Chamsil, southern Seoul, said.

"Many young women are turning to American dramas and sitcoms through cable channels. Unless Korean drama producers develop new and innovative stories, more and more young women might not return to programs aired by the nation's broadcasters," she said.

chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

07-31-2006 16:50

Source: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/ ... 073116504011680.htm

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2006 06:08 PM | Show all posts
Monday, July 31, 2006

[HERALD INTERVIEW]
Everyone wants a piece of Daniel Henney

Korean actor Bae Yong-joon is a dream come true for many Japanese women who have yearned for a tender, loving man. In Korea, though, Daniel Henney has been the Prince Charming ever since he appeared in the 2005 TV show "My Lovely Sam-soon."

With his impossibly good looks, gentlemanly manner and perfect English, Henney shot to stardom, quite a leap even from his quite successful modeling career, which put him on the runways of the likes of Gucci and Armani.

This year, he has finished shooting his second drama, "Spring Waltz," and is filming "Seducing Mr. Robin," his big-screen debut as well as his first attempt in being a leading actor.

Although he has done some theater work, such as off-Broadway in the United States, he admits that he is just getting his start as an actor.

Daniel Henney

"It's a very big change for me, and it's a lot different from doing dramas, which was extremely difficult, extremely tiring. I mean, it was a lot of fun and both were great dramas, but we were constantly shooting, sometimes for 15 hours straight without sleep," Henney told The Korea Herald. He said he has more time while shooting a movie than a drama.

"The shots are important, so it takes longer to take each shot. There is longer duration of lighting, and sometimes we'll be standing in front of the camera for hours getting different lights put on us, and waiting," he explained.

His role in the movie, an adaptation of a popular internet fiction, is Mr. Robin, an international businessman who speaks five languages. He seems to have it all, but does not believe in love.

Henney said the role was fun to play, for it was a step away from his previous roles - Mr. Nice Guy or Mr. Perfect.

"I am a nice guy but the characters I've played are overly nice," he said smiling. "It's a part of me, but it's not all me. There are a lot of different parts that have yet to come out and I'm interested to see how the audience will accept the other side of me."

Henney wants to be seen as a real actor, not just someone who has chiseled looks and good manners.

"When I was growing up in the states, I would read interviews of people that I admire, like actors Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt. And they would say it's difficult because they are perceived in a certain way because of their looks, and it's difficult for people to accept them in serious roles, in any roles different than their personality. And I didn't actually believe that until I started to act seriously," he said.

"People sometimes don't want to look past it. They have this image of me and they won't accept me playing a different character, which is part of my job, what I love to do," he said.

"Now it's okay, but it can be something that concerns you in the future. But I think in time, it will be okay. As I get older and my looks go away, they'll finally be able to accept me as a bad guy," joked Henney.

One thing for sure is that Henney is serious about acting.

"I'm constantly learning and I know I have a lot of room to improve. But even just from this year, I have made some achievements being more comfortable in front of the camera as well as with myself."

Even when he is touted as the icon of metrosexuality in Korea, he is well aware of the fact that it takes more than good looks to succeed as an actor.

"I love acting because it's scary. It's very frightening to put yourself out there and have people watch you and judge you. I think that's the reason I am sort of addicted to it, like working out, or coffee or alcohol. If I didn't have it, I think I would probably have withdrawal symptoms."

There have been some difficulties for Henney, son of an American father and a Korean mother. Although Koreans have been generous, they are known to have strong nationalistic sentiments.

"The hardest time for me was when I tried to actually speak Korean, although I was very lucky because when I did 'Kim Sam-soon,' even the director, not to mention actresses Jeong Ryeo-won and Kim Sun-ah, spoke English," he said.

"I know I have an accent, and I know my Korean is not perfect. But as long as people understand me, I'm happy. But there are times directors want you to speak really good, and it is a struggle for me, and it can be frustrating sometimes. And sometimes, I cannot hear the subtle difference in the language," admitted Henney.

"But it's getting better. And I can feel it getting better and the longer I'm here the more comfortable I am," he said.

While his parents still live in the U.S. state of Michigan, he is trying to settle down in Seoul.

"I just got a new house and I'm kind of obsessed with it, spending as much time as I can in my house, decorating, getting things the way I like it," he said.

The walls are red and Henney made sure to install a bar.

He loves to sip on wine and spend time by himself. He said he enjoys being alone.

"It's very important time for me, as almost everyday I'm working," he said.

Scripts are pouring in for Henney, but he said his sole focus is on finishing the film, which is expected to be released in October.

He is also "trying to figure out a certain way to become more attached to Korea, not necessarily through films and movies, but other ways."

One way could be to help animals.

"I might have the opportunity to help animals more with my position here, and I see a lot of stray animals," said Henney, who as a child wanted to be a veterinarian.

Despite his hectic schedule, he has made appearance for charity events and activities.

After completing the movie, Henney said he will take some time off.

"Just enjoy things, and my house, go shopping. It will be fun and I can't imagine not having anything to do for two weeks!"

(glamazon@heraldm.com)

By Hwang You-mee

Source: http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SIT ... 01/200608010013.asp

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2006 07:56 PM | Show all posts
July 31, 2006

"The Host" Stomps to Multiple Box Office Records

"The Host" has emerged dripping from the Han River and is headed for world conquest. The film, which opened Thursday to explosive box office numbers, opens on Sept. 2 in Japan and in the U.S. in October. It will also go on release in seven other countries. Originally scheduled to open on 250 screens in Japan, the creature movie抯 alarming success in Korea means that number is likely to multiply.

Along with director Bong Jun-ho, actors Song Kang-ho, Byun Hee-bong, Park Hae-il, Bae Doo-na and Ko A-sung headed to Japan for a four-day promotional trip, with nearly 100 reporters turning up on the first day. Meanwhile, high praise from the New York Times when the film was screened at Cannes means "The Host" will put up a good fight against Hollywood blockbusters in the U.S.

Here, the film brought in some 2.7 million viewers in just four days, setting records by opening on the greatest number of screens (620), the highest number of reservations (99 percent), and as the quickest movie to break the 1 million viewer mark (three days). That knocks the previous record-holders into a cocked hat. The previous record for biggest first week was held by "Typhoon" with 1.81 million tickets sold, for biggest one-day showing "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War" with 590,000 viewers. If the trend continues, "The Host" could surpass the 10 million mark in three weeks, which would be faster than the 39 days it took "Taegukgi," and beat in one month the 12.3 million viewers that "The King and the Clown" saw in its recording-breaking 112-day run.

Meanwhile "Hanbando (The Korean Peninsula)", the other big summer hit, is close to hitting the 4 million ticket mark. Together, the two films have a veritable monopoly on Korea抯 theaters, showing on 1,057 screens or 64 percent of the country抯 1,648 screens.

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0607310016.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2006 10:33 PM | Show all posts
July 31, 2006

BoA Sole Non-Sports Star in Nike Commercial

K-pop star BoA is working for the Nike label alongside sports stars like footballer Park Ji-sung, golf prodigy Michelle Wie and NBA star LeBron James.

The series of commercials focuses on youthful stars, with the singer the sole figure from outside the sports world to appear.

The shoot went ahead in complete secrecy in a studio in Gangnam towards the end of June, and the Nike ad team reportedly came all the way to Korea to capture the singer's image on film. BoA performs a dance to the theme tune "Feel It," accompanied by a troupe of backup dancers.

This commercial will be airing across Asia and is scheduled to hit the Korean airwaves in early August.

Meanwhile, the singer's 20th single "Key of Heart" will be released on Aug. 9 and she will be taking part in Japan's largest outdoor summer concert series, "a-nation," in Kobe on the Aug. 20 and Tokyo on Aug. 27.

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21dat ... 7/200607310011.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-8-2006 11:15 AM | Show all posts
2006-07-31

Jo In Sung, "Next piece is going to be a melodrama, want to take a break from action"

Jo In Sung who showed a great performance in the movie 'A Dirty Carnival' decided to take a breath to rest.

A Jo In Sung personnel commented during a phone call with Goodday, "Jo In Sung has recently been enjoying some free time for once while reviewing scenarios he has received. There are a lot of melodramas but there are also many in the action genre perhaps because of the performance he showed in 'A Dirty Carnival.'"

The person also mentioned, "The agency is leaving the decision entirely up to In Sung considering his sense in selecting 'What Happened in Bali.' It will most likely be a melodrama rather than an action film."

Meanwhile, Jo In Sung held a fan meeting with his official fan club 'In Sung Goon Ja' on the 30th at a theatre in the Dae Hak Ro area. 250 fans including 100 or so from Japan attended.

Jo In Seong also celebrated his 25th birthday on the same day with his fans and in response to a question about his next piece he answered, "I am carefully selecting a piece that will be able to show myself as a more mature actor."

[Copyright © 2006 Goodday News/Goodday E&I Inc. All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/l ... &pg=1&no=51

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 1-8-2006 04:16 PM | Show all posts
2006/08/01  

'The Host' sets new local box office record

SEOUL, Aug. 1 (Yonhap) -- South Korean movie "The Host" has not only surpassed the 3-million-ticket mark in its first five days in local theaters, but also beaten its own record for ticket sales on a weekday, the film's distributor said Tuesday.

The movie, which is showing on 620 screens nationwide, attracted 3,159,524 viewers as of Monday, according to Showbox.

The distributor said the film reached the 3-million mark within the shortest period of time for a local movie ever, beating the previous record of blockbuster "Taegukgi," which drew 3 million in eight days.

Within five days of its release, The Host set two new weekday ticket sales records with 443,006 tickets sold on Thursday and 532,780 on Friday.

The movie, directed by up-and-coming Korean talent Bong Joon-ho, revolves around a five-member family that runs a kiosk alongside Seoul's Han River and loses its only daughter to a monster that suddenly appears and destroys the tranquility of the riverside.  The Host premiered at this year's Cannes Film Festival and was highly praised by critics.

ygkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

Source: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/ ... 060801152651E2.html

-----------------------------------------

Film "The Host" Draws Most Viewers on Weekdays

Just three days after setting a record on July 31 by drawing three million viewers in the shortest period of time in domestic box-office history, the film "The Host" also broke the record of number of viewers who watched a movie on weekdays.

Since its opening on June 27, "The Host" drew 892,517 viewers in Seoul and 3.15 million viewers nationwide as of July 31. On July 31 alone, 145,899 viewers watched the film in Seoul and 532,780 viewers nationwide in 620 theaters.

The film drew three million viewers just five days after its opening, and some 151,486 people watched the movie the night before its official opening in theaters.

The previous record-setter, the film "Taegugki," drew three million viewers eight days after its opening. The most viewers who watched "The Host" on any weekday was 484,422 people nationwide (140,890 in Seoul) on July 28.

"The Host" drew 453,006 people nationwide on July 27, which exceeded the number of viewers who watched the film on its opening day and the previous night.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1408527_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-8-2006 09:22 PM | Show all posts
Aug 1, 2006

TV Spot Pitches Korea's Sexiest Against Each Other

To make the hot summer months even hotter, Jeon Ji-hyun and Lee Hyo-lee are engaged in a battle over the title of Korea's sexiest woman, pitted against each other to hype satellite DMB phones in a commercial.

The two stars' initials have been used to christen the two Samsung Anycall phones Slim&J and Slim&H. They each have their own color. Lee is sexy in a provocative way, but can also be cute and unaffected. Jeon Ji-hyun manages to be sexy at the same time as radiating a certain purity and innocence.

Lee Hyo-lee dressed as Marilyn Monroe in a Samsung Anycall commercial

Even before shooting the commercial, the two were engaged in a war of nerves. Lee Hyo-lee has been paid top dollar for her work, now in its fourth year, endorsing the electronics maker, but Jeon Ji-hyun burst onto the scene only recently. The two reportedly looked out for news on the other's every move, including how many days they spent shooting and what the atmosphere on the set was like. There was the inevitable attendant buzz in cyberspace, with a segment of the Internet pictorial "accidentally" finding its way on the nation's major portal sites. There were over 4.2 million search inquiries on the topic and it became one of the hottest downloads at Cyworld and on blogs.

Jeon Ji-hyun in a Samsung Anycall commercial

Both Lee's and Jeon's TV spots begin in bed, where the two seduce a man. Jeon maintains her cool without flinching, while Lee projects passion. The ad was shot in the heart of San Francisco on Union St., but the two's appearance is known to have caused a nightmare of a traffic jam. Cheil Communications that put together the commercials said, "People slowing down to check out the excellent style of the two models, led to an untimely traffic backup." The twin spots took to the airwaves on Tuesday.

englishnews@chosun.com  

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21dat ... 8/200608010012.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 2-8-2006 01:02 PM | Show all posts
2006-08-01

"Rae Won fighting", Japanese fans gather at set of Kim Rae Won's new movie

The new city of Jangyu located in the South Gyeongsang Province by Gimhae has been heating up.

Japanese fans have gathered at the open set in Jangyu to see Kim Rae Won, the leading actor of the new movie 'Haebaragi (Sunflower)' (Directed by Kang Seok Beom, iVision Entertainment and Blue Dragon Entertainment production).

Despite the fact that Jangyu is a new city in development, hard for foreigners to locate, and the many changes in shooting schedules due to the heavy rain, fans from Japan have been arriving at the set and waiting for Kim Rae Won.

They have been bringing cards of encouragement, fruits such as watermelon to cool the heat, cookies and snacks from Japan and much more surprising not only Kim Rae Won, but the staff as well.

Kim Rae Won became known in Japan through the television drama series 'Attic Cat', 'My Love Patzzi', 'Love Story in Harvard' amongst others, as well as on screen through the movie 'My Little Bride'.

According to the staff, the Japanese fans that have gathered at the set of 'Haebaragi' did not reveal how they got information on the schedules and quietly watch the filming.

In response to the visits of Japanese fans, it is said that Kim Rae Won feels sad that the only thing he can offer is a word of thanks for visiting.

The movie 'Haebaragi' is about a rough man whose life was in despair finding new hope through family. Actresses Kim Hae Sook, new face Heo Ih Jae, and others will also be appearing along with Kim Rae Won.

The movie, which has filmed approximately 50%, will open in theatres in November after the climax scene is filmed in Busan in September.

[Copyright © 2006 Goodday News/Goodday E&I Inc. All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/l ... &pg=1&no=52

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-8-2006 02:59 PM | Show all posts
Aug 2, 2006

Lee Byung-heon's Fans Hold Charity Bazaar for Flood Victims

The fan club of actor Lee Byung-heon has organized a charity event to raise funds for the victims of recent floods, following Lee's donation of 100 million won on July 31 to help flood relief efforts.

Lee's agency said the actor's official fan club "Rubeurs" announced the charity bazaar on August 1 on their Web site.

Anyone can make donations to the event via a pop-up window on Lee's official Web site (http://www.leebyunghun.com). The event will likely become a multinational charity drive as Rubeurs members include the actor's fans in Korea, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan.

Organized as an auction of Lee's memorabilia, the event will feature some 20 personal items donated by Lee, who praised the effort. One of the donations, a jacket in which the actor posed for the poster of the movie "The Harmonium In My Memory," belonged to Lee's late father. The actor willingly donated the jacket, one of his most treasured items, because he wanted to make meaningful donations for a good cause.

Other memorabilia that have been put up for auction include Lee's sunglasses, a safari jacket, a dress shirt, a necktie, a trench coat and a business suit in which Lee appeared in TV dramas and movies.

The event will continue through August 6. The presented items will be sold to those who offer the highest price.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/mcontents/enterta...8696_11692.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2006 02:00 PM | Show all posts

2006-08-02

YG Family Concert Tour Draws Great Expectations

YG Entertainment has decided to add one concert in Tokyo, Japan to its concert tour schedule running from August to October in Seoul, Japan and the U.S. The company has planned the YG Family concert tour to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its foundation, and its singers, including Se7en, Big Mama and Gummy, will participate.

Expectations are running so high that standing tickets for the Seoul concert at Jamsil Gymnastics Hall on Aug. 19 were sold out as soon as they went on sale. In Japan as well, tickets for two planned concerts in Osaka and Tokyo have already been sold out. Japanese internet sites were barraged by Japanese fans wanting to see the concerts, and suffered a failure in their computer systems.

Many Japanese fans who failed to buy tickets have made calls to the Japanese agency in charge of the Japan concerts and even to the YG headquarters in Seoul. As a result, the Japanese agency asked YG to hold one more concert in Japan. Now a total of three concerts will be given in Japan--one in Osaka on Sept. 8 and two in Tokyo on Sept. 10.

YG singers are devoting themselves to preparing for the concerts, having already shot promotional posters. A company staffer said, 揝ince these are special concerts marking our 10th anniversary, our singers are also contributing their own ideas to make the shows more enjoyable for both themselves and the audience.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2006 02:03 PM | Show all posts
Shinhwa Conquers Korean, Japanese Pop Chart

The six-man group Shinhwa has dominated the music charts in both Korea and Japan. The Korean group, which released its eighth album "State of the Art"  in May, sold the most records on- and off-line during the January to June period this year, leaving SG Wannabe and Lee Soo-young behind, according to record store Hot Tracks.

Shinhwa also saw its first feature album in Japan, "Inspiration #1," to be released on Aug. 16, top the advance sales chart at Japan's largest record store HMV. Earlier, it had drawn attention in that country because tickets for its "Japan Tour Inspiration #1" concerts scheduled for Tokyo on Sept. 24 and Osaka on Sept. 26 were sold out just one minute after they went on sale.

揥e are very grateful for our fan's love in Korea and Japan," the group said. "We hope they like 'Throw My Fist,' a song that we are promoting now from our eighth album that will be included as the title song of our first feature album in Japan.

Use magic Report

Post time 3-8-2006 03:23 PM | Show all posts
Lee Seo-jin to Publicize Korean Alphabet in Japan
2006-08-03

Actor Lee Seo-jin will tell his Japanese fans about the Korean alphabet when he appears
on Fuji TV抯 popular talk show 揟suyoshi 2

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2006 10:03 PM | Show all posts
Aug.3, 2006

Host' Director Embarks on Whirlwind World Tour

The director of blockbuster "The Host" Bong Joon-ho is on track to become a star in the global film industry. After making a spectacular debut on the global stage at Cannes this May, the movie enjoyed an explosive response from viewers at home and is continuing to do so beyond Japan and other Asian countries to Europe and North America. Bong received an unprecedentedly ardent welcome in Japan when he started his three-day visit to the nation on Monday. During this short period, he was asked for interviews with as many as 50 newspapers and TV networks including major media outlets there such as Asahi Shimbun, Yomiuri Shimbun, Sankei Shimbun, Kinema Junpo, Movie Magazine, MTV and Kansai TV --even more than the movie's star Song Kang-ho.

He is to stay at the Cerulean Hotel in Tokyo until Thursday to continue his interview marathon. Right after coming back to Korea, he is to start a hectic schedule visiting a variety of global film festivals. First of all, he takes the film to the Hong Kong International Film Festival, which serves as a beachhead into the Asian movie market despite its non-competitive nature. Then comes the U.K. on Aug. 14 for the Edinburgh International Film Festival抯 competition section.

In September, he will start his tour of the North American market. "The Host" has been invited to the 31st Toronto International Film Festival抯 Midnight Madness section, which is to be held from Aug. 7 in Canada, along with nine other movies. In terms of market size, the Canadian film festival outstrips Berlin, Cannes and Venice and also serves as a springboard into the North American film market. Bong also is to take part in the Vancouver International Film Festival which starts on Aug. 19. Then he moves to Europe in October.

Bong's European tour begins with the 39th Sitges International Film Festival, which starts in Spain on Oct. 6, one of the three leading fantastic film festivals along with the Brussels International Festival of Fantastic Film and Fantasporto in Portugal.

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0608030001.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2006 10:04 PM | Show all posts
2006-08-02

Hong Kong, "Korea leads to Hallyu dramas"

'Hallyu (Korean Wave)' seems to be doing the most in improving the image of Korea.

The Korean Tourism Organization announced on the 1st the results of a survey conducted last June at the Korean booth of the Hong Kong International Expo Organization, in which out of 1,337 participants, approximately one third answered that they think of Hallyu cultural products first when asked about Korea.

In a short answer question asking about what participants think of first about Korea, 177 (13.2%) answered Korean dramas or stars and 139 (10.4%) answered 'Dae Jang Geum,' while 121 (9%) answered the singer Rain (Bi) amongst others.

There were many that chose Kimchi (148 answers), Seoul (124), ginseng (108), food (101), snow or ski (96) and shopping (67) as well as Korean soccer, Park Ji Seong, plastic surgery, cell phone, as well as many others as Korea's image.

In response to a question in regards to Hallyu and their decision in selecting Korea as a travel destination, 50.7% answered that it 'has a great influence,' 34.2% selecting 'somewhat has an influence' revealing once again the power of Hallyu.

45.8% answered that they are interested in shooting locations of Korean movies and dramas and 77.1% responded that they would like to visit Korea.

44.7% thought that Hallyu will continue steadily for more than 3 years, 25% more than 5 years, 17.8% more than 1 yeaar, and 8.6% more than 10 years.

Song Hye Gyo was voted the most popular Korean artists in Hong Kong (multiple selections) with 657 votes followed by Lee Yeong Ae with 643 votes, Rain (Bi) (463 votes), Jeon Ji Hyeon (416 votes), Bae Yong Joon (343 votes), Ji Jin Hee (325 votes), and Choi Ji Woo (264 votes) amongst others.

'Dae Jang Geum' was the most memorable Korean drama/movie in Hong Kong as expected receiving the support of 743 voters followed by 'Full House' (613 votes), 'My Sassy Girl' (558 votes), 'Autumn Fairy Tale' (409 votes), and 'My Name is Kim Sam Soon' (298 votes), etc.

[Copyright © 2006 Goodday News/Goodday E&I Inc., © 2005 YonhapNews All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...;pg=1&no=53

[ Last edited by  katt at 3-8-2006 10:06 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-8-2006 02:43 AM | Show all posts
08-03-2006

'Daddy' Can't Fly Beyond Expectation

By Kim Tae-jong
Staff Reporter

Lee Joon-ki, left, stars with Lee Moon-sik in "Fly, Daddy, Fly," a local film
adapted from a hit Japanese novel.

The Japanese hit novel "Fly, Daddy, Fly'' is acclaimed for its witty portrayal of the sad situation of an ordinary man, who struggles to win back his status as a respectable father.

But the new domestic film "Fly, Daddy, Fly,'' an adaptation of the Japanese novel, portrays only superficial charm without capturing the core elements of the original story.

Directed by Cho Jong-tae, the film revolves around Chang Ka-pil (played by Lee Moon-sik) in his 40s, who leads an ordinary life with his adorable wife and their 17-year-old daughter.

He faces a crisis when his daughter is severely beaten by a high school student boxer from a rich family and he finds there is nothing he can do.

To prove that he is not a coward and will do anything for his family, he decides to take revenge and physically beat up his daughter's tormentor. For the seemingly impossible task, he asks Ko Sung-suk (by Lee Joon-ki), a rebellious high school student with talent for fighting, to train him.

The film attracted media attention and the public's interest mainly because the nation's heartthrob Lee Joon-ki was cast in the film.

He emerges from the image of his previous role of an effeminate court jester in the country's most viewed film of all time, "King and the Clown,'' by playing a physically much stronger and tougher role. But he fails to make a strong impression as he did in the first film.

As the film fails to explain why Ko has a rebellious personality, unlike the original book, Lee's character appears only to act "cool'' with many pretentious gestures.

The original character in the novel grows up as a Korean-Japanese in Japan, and experiences discrimination that alienates him from society. But in the film there are few clues as to why Ko has become an outsider.

What bothers audiences most is the impression that they are watching a two-hour commercial starring Lee. His character wears clothes and shoes of the same brand, unnecessarily highlighted, and the brand logos appear too often in the film.

But if you can lower your expectations about the "pretty'' actor, you may find fun elements in the film.

As the story gradually unfolds, it actually turns out to be a movie focusing on actor Lee Moon-sik, who successfully portrays an ordinary fainthearted office worker with a strong affection for his family.

His role is fun to watch, and at the same time makes you think about ordinary fathers who desperately struggle for their families in countless small battles in everyday life.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

08-03-2006 16:55

Source: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...16552610970.htm

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 4-8-2006 02:45 AM | Show all posts
Aug. 3, 2006

Kim Yun-jin Basks in Admiration of U.S. Fans

"When Americans recognize me it's very surprising," confesses Kim Yun-jin, still evidently unused to being an internationally-known star thanks to her part in the hit TV drama "Lost." This Friday, she appears on a talk show on the cable channel CGV, making time to travel to Korea despite her hectic schedule in the U.S. to talk about her love of the series. "Lost" season 2 starts airing on the channel on Thursday.

Kim recalls how happy it made her when American fans approached her for autographs or to take pictures with her in Los Angeles and New York, and about her good fortune being in the show at all.

Originally, Sun, her part in the series, did not even exist. But when the show's creator J.J. Abrams saw Kim in the Korean blockbuster "Shiri," which also showed in the U.S., he immediately set up a meeting with the actress. Apparently, he was so impressed that he then created a role in the show especially for the actress.

englishnews@chosun.com  

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0608030007.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-8-2006 02:56 AM | Show all posts
2006-08-03

Shinhwa already gathering popularity in Japan, first album topped pre-order rankings

Shinhwa has been stirring up a storm of popularity prior to their first album release.

Shinhwa's first full album 'Inspiration #1' is scheduled to be released on the 16th, ranked no.1 and remains on the top 10 list on the HMV website's pre-sale ranking.

Meanwhile, the tickets for the '2006 Shinhwa Asia Tour

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-8-2006 06:12 PM | Show all posts
Aug 4, 2006

"The Birth Of A Family" Invited to Toronto Film Festival

The movie "The Birth Of A Family" directed by Kim Tae-yong has been invited to the "Discovery" category of the 31st Toronto International Film Festival slated for September 7 in Canada.

The Toronto festival is the largest non-competition film festival in North America. Last year, Kang Yi-kwan's film "Sakwa" was invited to the Discovery category, which shows films of promising filmmakers.

This year, 13 films will compete in this category for the prize of 10,000 dollars. Though the Toronto festival is non-competition, sponsors have prepared awards for each category.

Other Korean films that were invited to this year's festival include Kim Ki-deok's "Time" in the "Vision" category and Bong Jun-ho's "The Host" in the "Midnight Madness" category.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/mcontents/culture/1409007_11676.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-8-2006 04:40 PM | Show all posts

2006-08-04

Kong Yoo to Hold Fan Meetings in Japan

Actor Kong Yoo will hold a news conference and a fan meeting in Tokyo on August 5 and another fan meeting in Osaka on August 6.

The actor's agency said Kong has decided to meet with his Japanese fans at their own request and will meet with some 1,700 fans in Tokyo and Osaka. Kong's popularity rose in Japan for his role in the TV drama "Hardtack Teacher and Star Candy," which aired on Japan's KNTV twice.

"I look forward to meeting my Japanese fans. I抳e been practicing singing and honing my Japanese-language skills to communicate with my fans in Japan," said Kong.

Kong will hold a fan meeting in Korea on August 20 with his official fan club "YOO&I."

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1409009_11858.html

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-4-2024 01:47 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.065966 second(s), 39 queries .