CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News Update (siri 2)

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:13 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa at soompi.com for the highlight

May 26, 2008

Actress Park Sol-mi Returns to TV Screen

Actress Park Sol-mi of the 揂ll In

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:16 PM | Show all posts
Our gratitude to kdramafanusa for this awesome highlight at the News thread with image from cinemacafe, thanks to ylin.

May 25, 2008

Korean cowboy "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" charms at Cannes

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" had a good reception at Cannes Film Festival. It is a movie about men on a chase about a treasure map and takes place in the 1930s, in the Japanese colony of Manchuria.

It was first revealed through a press conference on the 24th. On the same day, executive chairman of the Cannes Film Festival Thierry Fremaux volunteered to host the conference. Sean Penn, Natalie Portman, and other Hollywood stars attended.

Director Kim Ji-woon said, "It's great to have a warm welcome in a foreign place. We filmed for nine months going back and forth from Korea to China. The actors and staff went through a lot with hot temperatures in the Gobi Desert in China.

Director Kim said that the movie showing in Cannes and the movie premiering in Korea had different endings. "The Korean version has more humor and action, and it is more entertaining so the whole family can enjoy it".

He said that he got a lot of his inspiration from Director Clint Eastwood's 1992 movie "Unforgiven". He said, "I wasn't particularly aiming to make the Western genre popular in Asia. It's enough that I can revive the Manchurian Western genre in Korea".

Lee Byeong-Heon said, "I wondered if I should get some information while watching a Western movie, but I didn't because I thought I would copy the character exactly. It's true that it was overwhelming to make a creative evil character that was hard to express. But it was a chance for me to have a new experience. Although this character is evil and willing to risk his life to become the best, he is an introvert and focuses on the small details. I focused on portraying a character that wasn't greedy for money but was willing to kill someone because of fame, someone with depth".

Jeong Woo-seong met with Korea's press on the 23rd and said, "I'm glad that the movie first showed at Cannes Film Festival. I think I can proudly step on the red carpet because of the good reviews from foreign movie critics".

He also said, "I hope for more opportunities to film movies with a great cast, such as Lee Byeong-Heon and Song Kang-ho. It's hard to meet actors with ability, but if those actors want to come together, there needs to be a great scenario. In that sense, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" has all these characteristics".

Song Kang-ho couldn't hide his proud look as he said, "I'm glad that I was again invited to the world's best film festival following last year for "Secret Sunshine". The Korean movie industry seems inactive, but I hope that this is a way to advertise the industry so it may find its pride once again. I feel that this is the first movie in a while that the whole family can enjoy. I'm proud that I can show my kids how hard I worked to shoot this film".

As much as it is a Western, it has dangerous scenes. Jeong Woo-seong said, "There was a time I kept filming without knowing my arm was broken. The scene with the horse was dangerous, for they were race horses".

Song Kang-ho remembered running to catch the train on a hill with rarefied air. "I breathed in air with a portable oxygen tank, ran, breathed, and then ran. It was harder than I thought to run for it 2000 meters above sea level".

There were hardships while filming for three months in China. Still, Song Kang-ho said, "There were some communication problems, but on resting days, we played soccer and the losing team paid for dinner. We got along".

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" will be marketed in France and China. At the Cannes Film Festival, they sold copyright rights to Hollywood's Mel Gibson's movie company Icon Pictures, Benelux, Russia, Germany, Turkey, England, and Singapore.

It premiers in July in Korea.

Original Korean Article: NEWSIS 2008-05-25
English Translation Credit: HanCinema

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:19 PM | Show all posts
May 30, 2008

KBS Sitcom 'Unstoppable Marriage' To Air in Japan

The KBS 2TV daily sitcom 'Unstoppable Marriage" will be broadcast in Japan starting next month.

"The cable channel KBS Japan will be broadcasting the drama starting June 9th," said 'Unstoppable Marriage' producer Lee Gyo-yook. "This will be a step in the right direction to continue promoting the Hallyu phenomenon," he explained.

Not only will the drama be aired in Japan this June, there is already a signed contract for the export of the 'Unstoppable Marriage' DVD set this October.

'Unstoppable Marriage' stars Seo Do-young and Park Chae-kyung. It is based on the original movie version starring Kim Soo-mi and Lim Chae-moo. Although ratings for the TV drama were in the single digits in Korea, it is receiving an enthusiastic response from Japanese audiences.

Fans from Japan even came to the set of the TV drama to watch Seo Do-young who achieved fame in Japan after starring in director Yoon Seok-ho's TV drama 'Spring Waltz' last March. The Japanese magazine for Hallyu enthusiasts, 'KBOOM,' also introduced Park Chae-kyung as a Hallyu up-and-comer in an exclusive interview.

Source: KBS Global
http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1526805_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:32 PM | Show all posts
May 30, 2008

Big Bang's New Japan Released in Korea

The 5-member group Big Bang has released its Japanese album "With U" simultaneously in Japan and Korea.

"With U" is the group's second mini-album following the January release of its Japan debut album, "For the World." In Korea, the second mini-album will be available through online music services such as Melon, Dosirak and MNet.

Big Bang's G. Dragon worked with producers Perry and Teddy on "With U." The 8-track album is funky modern pop and includes the English version of the Korean hit "Last Farewell," plus G. Dragon's solo "This Love" and Tae Yang's solo, "Ma Girl."

Conversational in Japanese, Tae Yang also sings "Ma Girl" in Japanese and mixes Japanese and English in his song, "Mad About You."

In March, Big Bang held a successful concert with 10,000 fans at the Tokyo JCB Hall, and their popularity can also be witnessed in the instant response to their "With U" music video.

The music video was uploaded on the YouTube website and it received the most hits of the day in the 'musicians' category. "They were also ranked third on weekly hits," announced YG Entertainment Agency.

Source: KBS Global
http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/news/1526867_11858.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:41 PM | Show all posts

May 29, 2008

Stars Come Together for Earthquake Victims

Korean stars have come together to help out the victims of a devastating earthquake in China. Celebrities who joined the recording of 揑 Love Asia,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:48 PM | Show all posts
May 29, 2008

Music Icon Seo Taiji Plans Comeback

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

Singer Seo Taiji

Korean musician Seo Taiji will have another come back at the ``Eerie Taiji People Festival (ETPFEST)'' rock festival on Aug. 15, his first appearance as a singer in four years.

Seotaiji Company, Seo's agency, said that the 36-year-old singer is currently working on his eighth album and is planning to appear at the annual festival.

"Fans will be able to see Seo at the ETPFEST, which will be held on Korea's Independence Day with top international rock and heavy metal bands participating," his agency said.

Seo, who has become a fashion and musical icon among his fans, last appeared in 2004 at the third ETPFEST with his album "Seo Taiji's 7th Issue." This will be the first time in four years for him to present new songs for his fans at a live concert.

"This year's ETPFEST will be upgraded as a grand scale rock festival. It won't just remain as a festival for Seo, but as an international rock event," the agency added.

The festival is still in its production stage and participants have not been confirmed yet. The agency will announce the line-up and specific details of the event early next month.

The ETPFEST began in 2001 and aimed for one of the biggest and best rock festivals in Korea. American bands like Hoobastank, Zebrahead and Japanese band PE'Z participated at the event back in 2004.

Seo Taiji started music as the lead singer of the now disbanded group "Seo Taiji and Boys" in 1992. The group initially introduced various music genres including rock and heavy metal to the Korean music scene, eventually jumping to stardom.

Ever since the group disbanded in 1996, Seo has continued pursuing his music career, while the other two members Yang Hyun-suk and Lee Juno went their separate ways as a music producer and dancer, and a professor.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2008/05/139_24948.html

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:53 PM | Show all posts

For additional images, visit http://spn.edaily.co.kr/plus/starGalleryPopup.asp?hot_cd=541

~~~

May 27, 2008

Stars to Come Out for Hallyuwood Start Festival

A star-studded event is planned for the Hallyuwood Start Festival, which celebrates the groundbreaking of Hallyuwood in Goyang, Gyeonggi Province. The festival is to be held on May 29th and some 20 entertainers are invited to mark the meaningful event.

The celebrities who will attend the festival include Kim Yun-jin of American hit TV series 揕ost.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 05:55 PM | Show all posts
Jackie Chan

Kim Yun-jin

Kim Ah-jung

Jo Hyun-jae

Director Im Kwon-taek

Oh Hyun-kyung

For additional images, visit http://spn.edaily.co.kr/plus/starGalleryPopup.asp?hot_cd=538

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 06:29 PM | Show all posts
May 28, 2008

SONG Hye-kyo to Star in John Woo抯 1949

Taking journalists by surprise at a press conference on May 20 at the 61st Cannes Film Festival, director John Woo and popular Korean actress SONG Hye-kyo appeared together to announce that she would star as the heroine in his next big budget production,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 06:30 PM | Show all posts
May 30, 2008

Yeonghwaneun Yeonghwada with SO Ji-sub pre-sold to Japan

Director JANG hoon抯 upcoming Yeonghwaneun Yeonghwada (English translation: film is film) has been pre-sold to Japan抯 Phonicanon at the Festival de Cannes market. The film stars SO Ji-sub who enjoys great popularity in Japan because of the hit television dramas What Happened in Bali (Balieseo Saengin Il) and Sorry, I Love You (Mianhada, Saranghanda).

The KIM Ki-duk produced film抯 cast also includes KANG Ji-hwan. KANG抯 acting career consists of various television dramas and the acclaimed feature film debut of director SHIN Dong-il Host & Guest (Bangmoonja) which was selected by various film festivals including Pusan International Film Festival and Berlin International Film Festival.

Like SO and KANG, director JANG抯 track record also lies mostly in television. In addition, he was KIM Ki-duk抯 assistant director on The Bow.

SO plays a gangster who meets KANG抯 character, a star actor who is tackling a gangster role. Filming is currently taking place and should end at the end of June. The film will be in Korean cinemas this fall.

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)
http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 06:35 PM | Show all posts
May 30, 2008

LEE Hae-jun casts JUNG jae-young

LEE Hae-jung, half of the directing duo of Like a Virgin, announced the casting of his next film mr. Kimssineun Pyoroogi. JUNG Jae jung and actress KIM JEONG Ryeo-won will be the lead actors.

The film seems likely to be financed by director/producer KANG Woo-suk. They are still preparing the shoot.

LEE directed Like a Virgin together with LEE Hae-young. Kimssineun Pyoorogi is about a man and a woman meeting at the Han river in Seoul it will be LEE抯 first time directing alone.

JUNG抯 filmography includes, Someone Special and Welcome to Dongmakgol. JEONG starred in the film Two faces of My Girlfriend.

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)
http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 06:36 PM | Show all posts
May 30, 2008

DC hosts Korean film fest

The Korean Film Festival DC 2008 opened already in early April, and is still running until June 12. The festival is organised by the Smithsonian Institute with the assistance of several Korean organisations, including the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

Tom Vick, programmer, thinks it抯 搊nly a slight exaggeration to say that South Korea is in the process of conquering the world with its movies

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 06:37 PM | Show all posts
May 28, 2008

Variety Praises The Good, the Bad, the Weird

KIM Jee-woon抯 highly anticipated 憃riental western

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-5-2008 06:39 PM | Show all posts
May 28,2008

BONG Joon-ho Discusses Le Transperceneige

Director of Korea抯 all-time box-office monster, The Host (2006), and the now classic serial-killer mystery, Memories of Murder (2003), held a roundtable conference in Seoul last week to discuss a highly gossiped about future project 'Le Transperceneige', which he aims to have ready for release in 2011.  

BONG recently completed his contribution to the omnibus project Tokyo!, a homage to the city, for which he and two famed French directors, Michel Gondry and Leos Carax, each made a short film.  The finished project had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival this Spring, where it received glowing reviews.  

BONG is currently working on a crime-drama with the working title 慚other

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-5-2008 12:52 PM | Show all posts
Posted: Sat., May 24, 2008, 10:09am PTCannes

The Good The Bad The Weird

Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom (South Korea)

By DEREK ELLEY

Powered By A CJ Entertainment release and presentation of a Barunson, Grimm Pictures production. (International sales: CJ, Seoul.) Produced by Choi Jae-weon, Kim Jee-woon. Executive producer, Miky Lee.
Directed by Kim Jee-woon. Screenplay, Kim Jee-woon, Kim Min-seok.

East meets West meets East again, with palate-tingling results, in "The Good the Bad the Weird," a kimchi Western that draws shamelessly on its spaghetti forebears but remains utterly, bracingly Korean. More than two years in production, and at a reported $17 million the most expensive South Korean movie to date, fifth feature by genre-bending helmer Kim Jee-woon ("The Quiet Family," "A Bittersweet Life"), centered on a trio of treasure-seekers in 1930s Japanese-occupied Manchuria, looks headed for through-the-roof local biz, hunky returns throughout Asia and piquant specialized B.O. in the West, in the right hands.

Pic's post-production went down to the wire for its late-on, out-of-competition screening in Cannes, where it showed in a hi-def transfer still awaiting CGI tweaks and final color correction. (Result looked almost faultless on the bigscreen.) Reportedly, Kim will still make some adjustments for the version skedded to preem locally in July.

Though the movie raises the bar yet again for South Korean tech expertise and ambition, as well as launching the K-oater subgenre, it's not the first "oriental Western" (as it bills itself on closing credits). Last year, Takashi Miike's "Sukiyaki Western Django" pioneered a fusion-style J-Western, and Chinese fifth-generation director He Ping already had two cracks at a C-Western with "Swordsman in Double-Flag Town" (1991) and "Sun Valley" (1996). And the original spaghetti Westerns of the 1960s were partly inspired by Japanese samurai movies, anyway.

In the first of many references to Sergio Leone's "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," central trio is introduced one at a time, though without onscreen captions to ID them. First up is "the Bad," black-suited, spiky-haired bandit leader Chang-yi (Lee Byeong-heon, "A Bittersweet Life"), who's hired by a pro-Japanese Korean businessman (Song Yeong-chang) to retrieve a valuable treasure map from a train.

Also on the train, alas, is "the Weird," seemingly doofus-y train robber Tae-gu (Song Kang-ho, "The Host"), who, with sidekick Man-gil (Ryu Seung-su), makes off with the map in the resulting chaos. Also in the frame is "the Good," bounty hunter Do-weon (Jeong Woo-seong, "Musa"), a lithe loner and crack shot who's on the trail of scarred psycho Chang-yi.

In true Leone fashion, the movie boils down to a succession of setpieces with some mildly character-forming intervals en route to a final faceoff among the three protags. However, at just over two hours, pic is almost an hour shorter than Leone's 1966 classic, and lacks its epic breadth, variations in landscape and the sheer scale of its Civil War background.

Largely shooting in barren, endlessly flat landscapes, d.p. Lee Mo-gae (Kim's psycho-horror "A Tale of Two Sisters") serves up comparably striking widescreen visuals -- actually lensed in western China, adjacent to the Gobi Desert, rather than one-time Manchuria. But emotionally and physically, pic is a much more intense, visceral, full-contact experience than Leone's -- and, as such, 100% Korean, paralleling the industry's mass of gangster sagas but under much larger skies.

From the initial train holdup through a shantytown gun battle to a 15-minute desert flatlands chase that's a jaw-dropper, pic maintains an ironic grin that leavens the heavy discharges of ordnance and continuous roundelay of faceoffs. Kim's previous bullet ballet, "A Bittersweet Life," first showed his smarts as an action choreographer but was humor-free; this time around, there's an insouciance that keeps the action fresh.

Script would have benefited from more social and political backgrounding (fraught Japanese-Korean relations are only briefly referenced), and there's a slight dramatic dip around the hour mark. But overall pacing is OK.

Chemistry among three of South Korea's most expensive thesps is just fine. Song, evoking Eli Wallach's wily Tuco but with a peasant bluster, motors the movie; Lee, mirroring Lee Van Cleef's icy Angel Eyes but with a Korean psycho-gangster mentality, is also commanding. Least developed of the three, but with a graceful athleticism, is Jeong, with the pure bounty-hunter code of Clint Eastwood's Blondie. Impressively, all three handle the vast majority of their own stunts.

Other roles are no more than bits, with Son Byeong-ho, as a louche opium dealer who meets a proctologically painful end, making the strongest impression. Distaffers hardly get a look-in.

Wild music score, riffing on Latino rhythms and brass orchestration, along with motoric Asian-style percussion, thankfully makes only passing references to Ennio Morricone. Editing by Nam Na-yeong is trim but always clear, and CG effects are discreet.

Source: www.variety.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-5-2008 12:54 PM | Show all posts

May 24, 2008

Han Bo-bae of "Last Scandal", comeback with child role in daily drama

Han Bo-bae of MBC "Last Scandal" will star in KBS TV novel "Big Sister" as the child main role.

"Big Sister" will portray the lives of three sisters after they lose their parents.

Han Bo-bae will be the younger version of the eldest sister Song In-ok (Jeon Hye-jin).

Song In-ok is an optimistic character who doesn't lose hope and confidence even in hard situations. Han Bo-bae, who received much love for being Choi Jin-sil's goofy daughter in "Last Scandal", will make a complete transformation as a warm, committed older sister.

KBS TV novel "Big Sister" will first air on June 9 after " Beautiful Days ".

Original Korean Article: Hankyung 2008-05-24

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 31-5-2008 12:55 PM | Show all posts

May 26, 2008

Sitcom originator Oh Ji-myeong, 'Oh Po-jol' this time

[image=newsis/daum]

Oh Ji-myeong and comedy writer Jang Deok-gyoon are working together again.

It is through the fusion historical sitcom "Oh Po-jol", which starts airing June 2 at 9:30 every Monday to Friday.

It has been 15 years since Oh Ji-myeong and Writer Jang of "Gag Concert" have worked together after "The People of Professor Park".

Jang said, "We introduced the sitcom genre in 1993 through 'People of Professor Park', and 15 years later, the rumors of the dangers of sitcoms were unfortunate. We decided to work together to rewrite the history of sitcoms".

"Oh Po-jol" outlines the happenings of the Joseon's government. Yang Taek-jo, Lee Han-wi, Kwon Yong-woon, Jo Eun-sook, Kim Byeong-man, and Kang Yoo-mi were also cast.

Original Korean Article: NEWSIS 2008-05-26

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-5-2008 05:58 PM | Show all posts

May 25, 2008

Lee Dong-wook, Stars in music video for no guarantee out of loyalty

Actor Lee Dong-wook starred in the music video of his friend Suho's official first album for no guarantee.

He showed his loyalty by filming the music video for the title song 'As Much As We Loved' on the 23rd.

Lee Dong-wook, who is currently starring in MBC "Bitter Sweet Life", said, "I'm happy for the release of Suho's official album as if it's my own".

The director of the music video was Seo In-kyo, who also directed for t-Yoon Mi-rae, Sharp, Country Kko Kko, and Cherry Filter. Director Seo revealed that he was able to convey the detailed expression of recently separated lovers.

The music video will be released at the end of May on television and music channels.

Original Korean Article: Joynews24 2008-05-25

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-5-2008 05:59 PM | Show all posts

May 22, 2008

Ahn Yong-joon, admits relationship with Seo Seung-ah

Actor Ahn Yong-joon (21) admitted to have a relationship with Seo Seung-ah, who is four years his senior.

A representative of his entertainment company said, "He is seeing her with good intentions. After the scandal, Ahn Yong-joon said that he was sorry and that he regarded Seo Seung-ah as more than a friend. They are still young actors, so regard them favorably so they may focus on their careers".

Ahn Yong-joon, born in 1987, gained popularity in MBC "Jumong" as Jumong's son Yoori. He is currently starring in SBS "I Am Happy".

Seo Seung-ah (서승아), born in 1983, appeared in KBS "School 4", "Drama City - The Truth about Sagebrush and Garlic", EBS "Spread Your Dreams", movie "Running Seven Dogs" and various commercials.

Original Korean Article: Edaily 2008-05-22

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-5-2008 06:00 PM | Show all posts

May 25, 2008

Ryoo Seung-beom, Kong Hyo-jin, Deny marriage

The March issue of a women's magazine stated that Ryoo Seung-beom and Kong Hyo-jin, who broke up after six years of dating, were back together and preparing for marriage.

But the management companies of both actors are denying these rumors.

Ryoo Seung-beom's company, Oracle Entertainment, said that the two were happily back together but there is no news of marriage yet. Kong Hyo-jin's company, Sidus HQ, also denied the truth of any marriage rumors.

Original Korean Article: MK 2008-05-22

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

31-5-2024 11:38 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.109974 second(s), 41 queries .